ADVERTISEMENT

McNeely

bailey777

Hall of Famer
Nov 18, 2011
Watch him go to Michigan. That would be a double kick in the n.....

Paul Biancardi

@PaulBiancardi

Recruiting News: I spoke with Liam McNeely on his de-commitment from Indiana and his current recruiting situation."I personally reached out to Indiana, spoke with Coach Mike Woodson and had a direct conversation with him," McNeeley told ESPN. “I expressed my utmost respect for Coach Woodson, Indiana University and their devoted fan base."McNeeley also offered some insight into how he plans to approach the next few weeks."Moving forward, I have had contact with several schools, including Kentucky, UConn, Kansas, Houston and many others," he said. "New Michigan head coach Dusty May said I was his first recruiting call. That was special.”“Right now, my primary focus is preparing and practicing for the upcoming McDonald's game and Chipotle Nationals. I am going to hold off any college visits until those basketball events have concluded." https://espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/39827146/five-things-know-2024-mcdonald-all-american-game

Paul Biancardi
@PaulBiancardi

Recruiting News: I spoke with Liam McNeely on his de-commitment from Indiana and his current recruiting situation."I personally reached out to Indiana, spoke with Coach Mike Woodson and had a direct conversation with him," McNeeley told ESPN. “I expressed my utmost respect for Coach Woodson, Indiana University and their devoted fan base."McNeeley also offered some insight into how he plans to approach the next few weeks."Moving forward, I have had contact with several schools, including Kentucky, UConn, Kansas, Houston and many others," he said. "New Michigan head coach Dusty May said I was his first recruiting call. That was special.”“Right now, my primary focus is preparing and practicing for the upcoming McDonald's game and Chipotle Nationals. I am going to hold off any college visits until those basketball events have concluded." https://espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/39827146/five-things-know-2024-mcdonald-all-american-game
I read that article and it gave zero insight on why he decommitted. Fluff piece.

I read it the same except I did not think it meant the kid had a big ego. He likely does, I just did not feel his comment was a negative toward himself.
That's fair. Is the reason he bounced from Indiana speculated to be that Woodson stopped recruiting him after he made the commitment? If that's true, then I would qualify him as "needy" which is a relative to having an ego.. My son is an athlete and will be competing in his sport in college. We are going through recruiting right now. Once he finds a school and program that fits him and the school gives him a spot on their team, then we feel blessed and will continue to work hard every day so he is ready once he gets on campus and can contribute to the team. He won't need to be routinely and regularly checked in on by his coach so he can "maintain his commitment" to represent the school once he arrives on campus. Now if his primary reason was seeing our anemic offense that doesn't bode well for guards, ok. Do not blame him one bit. Both are probably at play.

I read it the same except I did not think it meant the kid had a big ego. He likely does, I just did not feel his comment was a negative toward himself.
Cmon Man. That kid and family has seemed like nothing but class to me. Anyone, you included, are going to feel a bit of ego if someone makes you a priority, that's human nature. If a employer says "JS, we thought enough of you that you were the very first call to fill this opening..." That's not going to make you feel good inside? I don't see one thing wrong with what he said and glad he's sharing his real feelings vs the standard interview fluff.

Last edited:
Reactions: aajohn2000
He won't need to be routinely and regularly checked in on by his coach so he can "maintain his commitment" to represent the school once he arrives on campus.
the rumor mill was that the family didn't hear from CMW for months after his commitment. I'm calling BS on you if you're telling me after committing you didn't hear from the coaching staff for months, you'd have to wonder if your son made the right choice. And, guess what: you should! I've had 2 nieces run in college and friends who's kids played a sport in college and ALL of their coaches checked in regularly, even preferred walk ons, sent encouragement and workouts/diets to be doing. He may be a needy egomaniac, but none of this makes me believe that. Standard human nature, and I think you're either abnormal or not being honest if you think you'd be that different.

It was some combo of Woody’s offense, results on the court/recruiting, and the the possible true story Woody didn’t check in for months post-commitment. Not the best scenario for someone who wants to win in college and/or get to the NBA.

We’ll never know the weighting for each factor in his decision.

the rumor mill was that the family didn't hear from CMW for months after his commitment. I'm calling BS on you if you're telling me after committing you didn't hear from the coaching staff for months, you'd have to wonder if your son made the right choice. And, guess what: you should! I've had 2 nieces run in college and friends who's kids played a sport in college and ALL of their coaches checked in regularly, even preferred walk ons, sent encouragement and workouts/diets to be doing. He may be a needy egomaniac, but none of this makes me believe that. Standard human nature, and I think you're either abnormal or not being honest if you think you'd be that different.
I am being honest. I, nor my son, do not expect it nor need it, frankly. I am not saying it would not be appreciated and recognized, however. That said, if in speaking with his buddies he learns that other teams coaches are routinely and regularly reaching out to them and nothing but radio silence from his future college coach, yeah, I can see where that would creep into your head and question the decision to go to that school and be with that coach. It’s a valid point.

Reactions: 75Plymouth
I am being honest. I, nor my son, do not expect it nor need it, frankly. I am not saying it would not be appreciated and recognized, however. That said, if in speaking with his buddies he learns that other teams coaches are routinely and regularly reaching out to them and nothing but radio silence from his future college coach, yeah, I can see where that would creep into your head and question the decision to go to that school and be with that coach. It’s a valid point.
Trust me, if your son commits to a school and you don't hear from the staff for months, be concerned.... especially if your son is a top 20 prospect nationally. It's not an ego or needy thing; at that point you have to ask yourself if the Coach is serious about their job and knows what the heck they are doing. I'm very confident if your son commits to a school, he'll be hearing from the staff with diet and workout recommendations at the very least.

Trust me, if your son commits to a school and you don't hear from the staff for months, be concerned.... especially if your son is a top 20 prospect nationally. It's not an ego or needy thing; at that point you have to ask yourself if the Coach is serious about their job and knows what the heck they are doing. I'm very confident if your son commits to a school, he'll be hearing from the staff with diet and workout recommendations at the very least.
Fiat point. And no, he’s not a top 20 recruit or even 100 for that matter. Frankly, all of this is new to us. Why you outline makes sense and reason to be concerned about Iu / recruiting.

Smells to me like McNeeley hired an NIL agent after the commitment and was advised to decommit and shop for a bigger bag.

They probably started at IU asking for a bigger offer with the threat of a decommitment, IU said we have a deal in place and no, then the decommitment happened.

Isn't this or similar the most plausible set of circumstances?

NIL agents are lawyers usually, the scum of the earth.

He took awhile to commit in the first place. He probably looked hard at NIL then. Not sure why he would change his mind on NIL, but if he did we have more.

When he committed things looked better: we just had a decent season and we were in the mix for some top recruits.

Then things changed: we missed on all the recruits and our season imploded and we missed the tourney. The offense didn’t look as good for him. And maybe he wasn’t hearing much from coach. Some mix of these reasons seem more likely.

Doesn’t matter much now. Donors bought Tucker as his replacement. Everyone moved on.

Paul Biancardi
@PaulBiancardi

Recruiting News: I spoke with Liam McNeely on his de-commitment from Indiana and his current recruiting situation."I personally reached out to Indiana, spoke with Coach Mike Woodson and had a direct conversation with him," McNeeley told ESPN. “I expressed my utmost respect for Coach Woodson, Indiana University and their devoted fan base."McNeeley also offered some insight into how he plans to approach the next few weeks."Moving forward, I have had contact with several schools, including Kentucky, UConn, Kansas, Houston and many others," he said. "New Michigan head coach Dusty May said I was his first recruiting call. That was special.”“Right now, my primary focus is preparing and practicing for the upcoming McDonald's game and Chipotle Nationals. I am going to hold off any college visits until those basketball events have concluded." https://espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/39827146/five-things-know-2024-mcdonald-all-american-

I never heard from coaches until just before arriving on campus once I signed for my scholarship. I was told at time of signing some benchmarks in regards to mile time, weight lifting expections ppp
when I signed my scholarship paperwork I had a long conversation with staff. I was left with coaches expections on my mile time on arrival, along with some weight lifting benchmarks. Didn’t hear from anyone until I arrived on campus. It was a long time ago ( pre internet) and I wasn’t a top 20 recruit.

I never heard from coaches until just before arriving on campus once I signed for my scholarship. I was told at time of signing some benchmarks in regards to mile time, weight lifting expections ppp

when I signed my scholarship paperwork I had a long conversation with staff. I was left with coaches expections on my mile time on arrival, along with some weight lifting benchmarks. Didn’t hear from anyone until I arrived on campus. It was a long time ago ( pre internet) and I wasn’t a top 20 recruit.
Sorry didn’t mean to post something twice. Sat down phone while watching game and somehow repeated myself

Im in Im out. I didnt hear from someone so I feel like they dont care. First of all no ones knows this. As much as I dont like woodrow I dont think part of his job is to babysit some kid whos got a bunch of stars after his name, never has shot one time in D1 ball and thinks hes a one and done. Need a diaper change moms there to do it. If hes really that good of a shooter he would fit perfectly on IU cause no one else could, There were plenty of open shots from 3 last year that were either passed up or bricked up. So he should have got all the playing time he wanted and proved his skills if hes really any good at IU. Dont need any more players whos head is bigger than the basketball. See ya

Im in Im out. I didnt hear from someone so I feel like they dont care. First of all no ones knows this. As much as I dont like woodrow I dont think part of his job is to babysit some kid whos got a bunch of stars after his name, never has shot one time in D1 ball and thinks hes a one and done. Need a diaper change moms there to do it. If hes really that good of a shooter he would fit perfectly on IU cause no one else could, There were plenty of open shots from 3 last year that were either passed up or bricked up. So he should have got all the playing time he wanted and proved his skills if hes really any good at IU. Dont need any more players whos head is bigger than the basketball. See ya
YeAh. HeS a ShItTy KiD WhO NeEdS HiM?

Totally agree. Maybe we want some players that keep the commitments they make. I wouldn’t allow McNeely back, even if he wanted.

All this talk of no communication by Woodson is complete hearsay. Whomever started it, what is your proof? It's like Trump's lies, the more it's discussed as fact, the more validity those who want to believe it take it as the truth.
All this talk of no communication by Woodson is complete hearsay. Whomever started it, what is your proof? It's like Trump's lies, the more it's discussed as fact, the more validity those who want to believe it take it as the truth.
so now we bring politics onto the basketball board. You really want to go that route.

He took awhile to commit in the first place. He probably looked hard at NIL then. Not sure why he would change his mind on NIL, but if he did we have more.

When he committed things looked better: we just had a decent season and we were in the mix for some top recruits.

Then things changed: we missed on all the recruits and our season imploded and we missed the tourney. The offense didn’t look as good for him. And maybe he wasn’t hearing much from coach. Some mix of these reasons seem more likely.

Doesn’t matter much now. Donors bought Tucker as his replacement. Everyone moved on.
He can go to kansas and get paid just as much as the six millon dollar man can pay him. He clearly did not like how iu looked for nexy year and has moved on.

He can go to kansas and get paid just as much as the six millon dollar man can pay him. He clearly did not like how iu looked for nexy year and has moved on.
How would he know what “nexy” season looked like when know one else does? That said, “nexy” season keeps looking better in the passageways of time, including our chances of landing a recommitted McNeeley.

How would he know what “nexy” season looked like when know one else does? That said, “nexy” season keeps looking better in the passageways of time, including our chances of landing a recommitted McNeeley.
I see you are on spell check alert. What would we do without the spell check police.

my coaching staff (25 years ago) checked in once a week after I committed. Set goals, checked grades and checked on my family. Now in today’s world with NIL and kids able to get out of commitments,, it’s even more vital to keep building that relationship.

my coaching staff (25 years ago) checked in once a week after I committed. Set goals, checked grades and checked on my family. Now in today’s world with NIL and kids able to get out of commitments,, it’s even more vital to keep building that relationship.
Pre internet I am sure it was less but now with email and texting checking in at least once a week would probably be pretty common I would think. I bet sampson sends off multiple texts per week to each kid. He likes to text!

Pre internet I am sure it was less but now with email and texting checking in at least once a week would probably be pretty common I would think. I bet sampson sends off multiple texts per week to each kid. He likes to text!
It’s been reported here Zeller’s dad had to tell Tom Crean it was okay to back off on Cody calls since he was committed. In less words, Cody’s word was good, unlike McNeeley’s.

If you say you have committed what does that mean? Is this a legal document or just a Im planning on coming if I dont change my mind? It seems to me that Im missing out on something because the meaning of committed is "bound or obligated". So does IU just say ok see ya and thats the end of that? With all the money these kids are receiving for playing basketball is there no legal "contract" signed by all parties involved? If they want to be treated and paid like professionals then I think it should be handled with a contract if it has not been done that way. As I said before, I really dont understand the process. All I know for sure back when I was 18 my word was my word and it still holds true at 69. Nor did I need any babysitting after I made an agreement with someone or an organization that I would do something after I said I would.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT