ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall being targeted by Mizzou, Illinois, NC State

Let 'er Fly

Junior
Feb 12, 2005
Move Freddie, move. Marshall will be teased w/ those, but he will pull the trigger w/ IU if timely offer. While I don't know if he could win big (consecutive top 2-3 in conference) at Mizzou or NC State, he could take Illinois to a high level. He may jump to Illinois if offered enough. Who would he really fear in the B1G w/ the current coaches in place? Izzo is the only one, and he may be retiring soon.

Move Freddie, move. Marshall will be teased w/ those, but he will pull the trigger w/ IU if timely offer. While I don't know if he could win big (consecutive top 2-3 in conference) at Mizzou or NC State, he could take Illinois to a high level. He may jump to Illinois if offered enough. Who would he really fear in the B1G w/ the current coaches in place? Izzo is the only one, and he may be retiring soon.

Self did pretty well in his three seasons with Illinois. He won the conference twice and finished second once. Illinois would probably have won the title if he stayed another year or two. Brucie was a crap coach and took those teams pretty far and they were undefeated for most of their national runner up season.

And were still stuck with Crean unbelievable.When did all those schools bypass us?

Each of those schools can easily pay as much or more than Indiana.

Illinois may not be a sleeping giant, but they could easily be a top 10-15 job. We saw what self could do. A good coach could do very well there.

Marshall has said before that he wouldn't consider going to another school unless he felt it had the potential to be a dominant player in their conference. That eliminates at least Mizzou and NC State if he really feels that way. Illinois potentially has the recruiting base to be a major player in the Big 10, but no one in the past 20+ years has sustained that kind of success over more than a couple of years. Mizzou is a basket case as a university as a whole - overall enrollment has dropped 8 percent and the freshman class dropped about 25% from all the negative publicity the university has received. No way a top coach goes there. Crean would be perfect for them with his sunshine-pumping tendencies - mediocrity would be a huge improvement over what their basketball program has become. NC State will always be little brother to UNC and also to Duke as long as K is there.

Marshall has said before that he wouldn't consider going to another school unless he felt it had the potential to be a dominant player in their conference. That eliminates at least Mizzou and NC State if he really feels that way. Illinois potentially has the recruiting base to be a major player in the Big 10, but no one in the past 20+ years has sustained that kind of success over more than a couple of years. Mizzou is a basket case as a university as a whole - overall enrollment has dropped 8 percent and the freshman class dropped about 25% from all the negative publicity the university has received. No way a top coach goes there. Crean would be perfect for them with his sunshine-pumping tendencies - mediocrity would be a huge improvement over what their basketball program has become. NC State will always be little brother to UNC and also to Duke as long as K is there.
Then Marshall would only leave for KU, UK, UNC or Duke. No other school will dominate a conference.

What other school will dominate a conference?
Will is impossible to know, but potentially UCLA, Villanova, and IU have the potential to do so....but I'm sure you will give your opinion stated as a fact

My apologies if you're not becauseiknow, you could just as easily be Ord

If Marshall ends up at Illinois it will be very bad news for IU fans because then they will lose to Wisconsin, MSU, Michigan, OSU, AND Illinois on a regular basis.

Illinois has to go check their coaches who say no boxes just like IU will. They already checked the first no off the list when Monty W. said no. Every school targets Marshall right now if they have an opening. He isn't even thinking about another job until his season is over and he isn't rushing into a decision based on his past decisions. I hope the team goes to the NIT even if it drags out the Crean saga. It is about the kids, right? Certainly coaches like Archie and Marshall are not oblivious to the fact that IU could be opening up.

Nice to see becauseiknow is back!!
It is kind of interesting how that guy just disappeared once it became clearly evident he was completely full of crap. More like becauseiknownothing.

Bo Ryan is gone. Matta's best days are behind him, and he won't be around much longer. Tom Izzo is 62. John Beilein is 64. The Big 10 is ripe for the taking.

Will is impossible to know, but potentially UCLA, Villanova, and IU have the potential to do so....but I'm sure you will give your opinion stated as a fact

My apologies if you're not becauseiknow, you could just as easily be Ord
I wasn't trying to be contrary. It's just that parity has made it very difficult to dominate a conference which is why so few can do it. I don't know what motivates Marshall but he's passed on big money and Power 5 offers before.

What other school will dominate a conference?

It would be tough for any team to consistently dominate the B10 the way that, say, Kansas has dominated the B12.

That shouldn't be our measuring stick. We want a coach who can have us consistently in the tournament and somewhat consistently seeing trips to the E8 and F4....and in the hunt for the occasional banner.

And were still stuck with Crean unbelievable.When did all those schools bypass us?

None of those schools have idiotic fanbases like ours that still think we are elite and bluebloods. That's why. Why would a coach come here after watching the defending Big Ten coach of the year get fired because our fans are stuck in another century? Those other schools, they don't have to deal with the idiocy. That's a big part of it. Basically coaches come to Indiana to get fired because the expectations do not correspond to the reality.

Three Big Ten championships in almost 25 years. That isn't elite. That isn't blue bloodness. Yet two of those came from the guy that so many want to fire.

None of those schools have idiotic fanbases like ours that still think we are elite and bluebloods. That's why. Why would a coach come here after watching the defending Big Ten coach of the year get fired because our fans are stuck in another century? Those other schools, they don't have to deal with the idiocy. That's a big part of it. Basically coaches come to Indiana to get fired because the expectations do not correspond to the reality.

Three Big Ten championships in almost 25 years. That isn't elite. That isn't blue bloodness. Yet two of those came from the guy that so many want to fire.
Because I am sick of reading these super ignorant posts, I will respond.

For one, Crean's Big 10 record sucks. He actually has won 2 Conference Championships in 9 years. Crean doesn't have a winning record in the Big Ten and has a losing record against most BT schools: he is 2-16 against Wisconsin. He's never won a Conference Tourney.

Two, he's never done squat in the NCAA's and has missed the Tourney more than he is made it.

Three, the basketball coaching product is poor: no defense, no rebounding, no discipline, no smarts or fundamentals, poor roster management, and so on.

Four, the past 20 years or so are the crappiest stretch in IU history and not the measuring stick for the program.

IU has had a bad run of coaching hires and poor leadership from the higher ups. If you want to argue that Knight wasn't winding down or that Mike Davis or Kelvin Sampson were good hires, then you are a moron. Make the right hire and IU rolls again. With IU's history, support, recruiting base, intangibles, etc., the only thing holding IU back is coaching. And, here you are arguing to stay the course on the one thing holding IU's program back: lol.

Last edited:
Because I am sick of reading these super ignorant posts, I will respond.

For one, Crean's Big 10 record sucks. He actually has won 2 Conference Championships in 9 years. Crean doesn't have a winning record in the Big Ten and has a losing record against most BT schools: he is 2-16 against Wisconsin. He's never won a Conference Tourney.

Two, he's never done squat in the NCAA's and has missed the Tourney more than he is made it.

Three, the basketball coaching product is poor: no defense, no rebounding, no discipline, no smarts or fundamentals, poor roster management, and so on.

Four, the past 20 years or so are the crappiest stretch in IU history and not the measuring stick for the program.

IU has had a bad run of coaching hires and poor leadership from the higher ups. If you want to argue that Knight wasn't winding down or that Mike Davis or Kelvin Sampson were good hires, then you are a moron. Make the right hire and IU rolls again. With IU's history, support, recruiting base, intangibles, etc., the only thing holding IU back is coaching. And, here you are arguing to stay the course on the one thing holding IU's program back: lol.

Crean has won two of the last 5 Big Ten championships coming into this season. Bob Knight never won a conference tourney either. IU has always sucked in the conference tourney.

Never done squat in the NCAAs? A Final Four is squat? Three Sweet 16's is squat? Yet some of you guys want Steve Alford as the white knight to replace. Stop me from laughing.

I agree, Bob Knight was a disaster at the end, but saying that here as I did last year gets you a timeout from the crazies that won't possibly let reality be said. Davis hire and Sampson hires were terrible.

I'm arguing that 2 of the last 5 years we have been Big Ten champions, Our coach was Big Ten coach of the year, and one of three finalists for national coach of the year. That's what I'm arguing. You don't fire someone coming off that especially with two critical injuries. That is what I am arguing.

Reactions: echs86

Crean still sucks. You can't write his ineptitude away. As many positives you can name, we can name 10 negatives. He sucks. Get over it.

It would be tough for any team to consistently dominate the B10 the way that, say, Kansas has dominated the B12.

That shouldn't be our measuring stick. We want a coach who can have us consistently in the tournament and somewhat consistently seeing trips to the E8 and F4....and in the hunt for the occasional banner.
Going by Kenpom, the big 12 has been just as good as the Big 10 during Selfs run. Some years better, some years worse....which makes their run even more impressive

Crean has won two of the last 5 Big Ten championships coming into this season. Bob Knight never won a conference tourney either. IU has always sucked in the conference tourney.

Never done squat in the NCAAs? A Final Four is squat? Three Sweet 16's is squat? Yet some of you guys want Steve Alford as the white knight to replace. Stop me from laughing.

I agree, Bob Knight was a disaster at the end, but saying that here as I did last year gets you a timeout from the crazies that won't possibly let reality be said. Davis hire and Sampson hires were terrible.

I'm arguing that 2 of the last 5 years we have been Big Ten champions, Our coach was Big Ten coach of the year, and one of three finalists for national coach of the year. That's what I'm arguing. You don't fire someone coming off that especially with two critical injuries. That is what I am arguing.
You are either a troll or a moron.

Ironically, you are defending Crean on Selection Sunday when IU isn't going to be one of the 68 teams selected.

Last edited:
If Marshall is to leave WSU it won't be for any of those schools
Exactly. He'll either end up at a major program or he'll spend the rest of his career at WSU. With his success, and current salary, Mizzou and NC State may be considered a step down.

Fred Glass commented a few years ago, that IU had to stop the carousel of coaches and honor their contracts; to this end Crean could get another year, however, given the current opportunities for both Crean and IU, he should be willing to fudge that oath by a year. Primary reason: there's nothing great on the horizon. Crean has little leg to stand on for reasoning out one more year and doing so will make both IU and Crean look even worse.

I didn't think so until Marshall was on the Dakich show last week but now I think there are pretty strong odds that Marshall is in Bloomington before mid-summer.

Last edited:
Fred Glass commented a few years ago, that IU had to stop the carousel of coaches and honor their contracts; to this end Crean could get another year, however, given the current opportunities for both Crean and IIU, he should be willing to fudge that oath by a year. Primary reason: there's nothing great on the horizon. Crean has little leg to stand on for reasoning out one more year and doing so will make both IU and Crean look even worse.

I didn't thinks so until Marshall was on the Dakich show last week but now I think there are pretty strong odds that Marshall is in Bloomington before mid-summer.
He's fired several coaches.

He actually said that in regards to Bill Lynch, who he fired the next year.

Answer why you think after last season FG did not extend TC's contract beyond three years? Coaches that are not on the hot seat get extensions after conference titles without exception if they have less than 4 years left. FG is NO idiot like some here are quick to suggest. TC is gone after this season. The writing is very easy to see if you can read the tea leaves. No extension,no comment and no interviews. He is working the back channels to get a new home run hire done. It is that simple.

He's fired several coaches.

He actually said that in regards to Bill Lynch, who he fired the next year.

Yeah, that's true. Good grief that makes it worse!! Arugh. Somebody say something happy. This season was so depressing. I feel cheated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT