ADVERTISEMENT

Manchin (D) Saves the Union!

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg

Tax and spend defeated - again - for the failure it has always been.

November is still coming.
This nation needs common sense in the House, and compromise-requiring grid-lock or deliberation in the Senate.

1. Law and order requires well-paid, well-trained police.
2. Good jobs require good, stable, profitable employers.
3. Good primary school base-line education requires readin', 'ritin' and 'rithmetic - not sexual/social justice studies.

So let it be written - so let it be done - starting in November.
Hell, its 3 things - more than the average vote whore can handle anyway.

Start by stopping talking about Trump and abortion. Neither of those conversations is gonna help fix this nation.

Cops. Jobs. Schools.
Make 'em chuck it from the cheap seats.
Watch that purgatory they call a gym.
No drive, 12 foot in.
That'll do.

It's because of people like GuyDatHoo that we have pizza boxes like this

FRuhZoJVUAAaqqY.jpg

If the climate zealots/ progressives keep pushing net zero at the expense of peoples livelihoods they are going to see a populist revolt that makes Brexit or Trump look like child's play.
I'm beginning to believe the likelihood of a violent uprising in the Western world is no longer zero. I just can't tell who will fire the first shot.

Stop eating pizza fat boy, it'll kill you faster than Covid.
I haven't eaten pizza in 3.5 years. Back then I was a lot fatter. I traded pizza and beer for low carbs and long bike rides. Out with the 3XL, then out with the 2XL, in with the XL, and sometimes just L. Baggy feels better, though.

Reactions: vesuvius13

This nation needs common sense in the House, and compromise-requiring grid-lock or deliberation in the Senate.

3. Good primary school base-line education requires readin', 'ritin' and 'rithmetic - not sexual/social justice studies.

Start by stopping talking about Trump and abortion. Neither of those conversations is gonna help fix this nation.

Cops. Jobs. Schools.
No drive, 12 foot in.
That'll do.
Honestly he is actually helping his fellow dems from even bigger losses in November. If they spent this trillion right now with this inflation people would be furious except for the far lefties in their base like Bowlmania and Hickory. To them you can never spend enough but most people are not interested in even higher inflation despite what a Hickory type may think.

If the climate zealots/ progressives keep pushing net zero at the expense of peoples livelihoods they are going to see a populist revolt that makes Brexit or Trump look like child's play.
It has already started. Like I said Manchin is actually saving the dems and keeping Biden from an approval rating of like 25%. But the AOC's of the world do not care they know this is likely their last shot at this for years. Once the repubs take the congress in November they will likely hold it for four years minimum and probably more.

You mean believers in science? How dare people believe in irrefutable evidence when we have corn knobs who have literally zero knowledge of climate control outside of what Tucker Carlson tells them. :rolleyes: The populist result already took place in the Nov 2020 election. haha

It has already started. Like I said Manchin is actually saving the dems and keeping Biden from an approval rating of like 25%. But the AOC's of the world do not care they know this is likely their last shot at this for years. Once the repubs take the congress in November they will likely hold it for four years minimum and probably more.
See the Netherlands and Sri Lanka. They believed our college professors.

Reactions: dbmhoosier and 76-1

Cops. Jobs. Schools.
No drive, 12 foot in.
That'll do.
Hmmm.

Do you think Manchin's position on the climate provisions of the economic package might have possibly been influenced (even a little bit) by Manchin's (1) personal net worth of like $10-12 million derived from coal over decades, (2) personal stock ownership in several coal companies that he founded, and (3) absolute dependence on coal-employed voters from West Virginia and coal-industry contributions to his campaign for senate reelection in the future (as well as his past campaigns for WV Governor)? Not even a little bit?

Hmmm.

Do you think Manchin's position on the climate provisions of the economic package might have possibly been influenced (even a little bit) by Manchin's (1) personal net worth of like $10-12 million derived from coal over decades, (2) personal stock ownership in several coal companies that he founded, and (3) absolute dependence on coal-employed voters from West Virginia and coal-industry contributions to his campaign for senate reelection in the future (as well as his past campaigns for WV Governor)? Not even a little bit?

As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be.

If you want see real poverty outside of a city, go to a coal town.
Lots of thrown-away people there.

So like I have always said, one of the biggest political lies ever told is “The Democrats are for the working man.”

So like I have always said, one of the biggest political lies ever told is “The Democrats are for the working man.”
I will largely agree with your comments about WV.

WV is not exactly a workingman's paradise.

WV is not exactly a class-free society.

Democrats from WV are not like Democrats from other places.

It's hard to tell on many issues if Manchin really is operating with "bipartisanship in working with Republicans" (as categorized by Wikipedia, below) or is just really a Republican in a weird state:

"Manchin opposed President Barack Obama's energy policies, including reductions and restrictions on coal mining, voted against cloture for the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act of 2010 (not voting on the bill itself), voted to remove federal funding for Planned Parenthood in 2015, supported President Donald Trump's border wall and immigration policies, and voted to confirm most of Trump's cabinet and judicial appointees, including Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh. Manchin opposes many progressive priorities, such as Medicare For All, the Green New Deal, abolishing the filibuster, expanding the Supreme Court, and defunding the police.[9] He has also repeatedly voted against attempts to repeal the Affordable Care Act, voted to preserve funding for Planned Parenthood in 2017, and voted against the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. In addition, he voted to convict Trump in both of his impeachment trials. He is among the more non-interventionist members of the Democratic caucus, having repeatedly called for the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan and opposed most military interventions in Syria.[10][11]"​

Worst of all, every day he reminds me more and more of Ted Cruz with a better business suit and a weaker speaking voice.

The focus on Manchin without mentioning the decline of the once influential Blue Dog Democrat coalition in Congress misses the big story IMO.

In the Obama early presidential years there were
50 Blue Dog Democrats. This number is now down to 19. The coming mid term will further reduce the number. This shift means the Dems are shifting further left.

Unfortunately the even bigger story as the Pubs move to the right is the gap widening as the middle disappears.

The focus on Manchin without mentioning the decline of the once influential Blue Dog Democrat coalition in Congress misses the big story IMO.

In the Obama early presidential years there were
50 Blue Dog Democrats. This number is now down to 19. The coming mid term will further reduce the number. This shift means the Dems are shifting further left.

Unfortunately the even bigger story as the Pubs move to the right is the gap widening as the middle disappears.
Yep the main new coalition for dems is white college educated women. They mostly only care about being woke and are the only group other than blacks who give biden a positive approval rating. But they are not a growing population like hispanics and many are not even having kids for many reasons including climate change. So while they will vote dem big time hispanics will increase as the woke white women numbers delcine. By going so far left the dems are likely going to lose the congress for quite some time.

I’ve never liked this argument in relation to the coal industry. The government doesn’t prop up other industries that fall out of favor or get replaced by new things. Why should we prop up coal? I lot of blacksmiths lost their business when the horseless carriage came around. To say nothing of what the computer did to office typing pools.

Yep the main new coalition for dems is white college educated women. They mostly only care about being woke and are the only group other than blacks who give biden a positive approval rating. But they are not a growing population like hispanics and many are not even having kids for many reasons including climate change. So while they will vote dem big time hispanics will increase as the woke white women numbers delcine. By going so far left the dems are likely going to lose the congress for quite some time.
bailey, what exactly do these college educated woke women care about, other than climate change, which makes them different than other women ?

I’ve never liked this argument in relation to the coal industry. The government doesn’t prop up other industries that fall out of favor or get replaced by new things. Why should we prop up coal? I lot of blacksmiths lost their business when the horseless carriage came around. To say nothing of what the computer did to office typing pools.
Spoken like a man with electricity.

When the grid fails and you can't access your e-dollars and nobody will take your cash, you might see it different.

Perhaps we should study how to make coal cleaner instead of just killing the industry and creating whole states of poverty?

Nope. That would require cooperation and compromise from D's and R's. Too much fun calling each other names and holding hearings and investigations.

Embrace the dark. It's coming soon to a home near you.

"Biggest political lies ever told is the democrats are for the working man" may not be the biggest, but it is right in there. An ideology challenger to that biggest lie would be "The republicans are for small government and fiscal responsibility". These two parties are lost in their own self-proclaimed greatness.

"Biggest political lies ever told is the democrats are for the working man" may not be the biggest, but it is right in there. An ideology challenger to that biggest lie would be "The republicans are for small government and fiscal responsibility". These two parties are lost in their own self-proclaimed greatness.
I have not given a dollar to the GOP since Bush 2 failed to balance the budget ... as "promised"

My disdain for the Dems is much older.

MTIOF, when you say contribute to the GOP, are you talking about the RNC or what ?
The GOP Congressional fundraiser that allocates money to House races. Similar to the committee McConnell used to Chair for the Senate.

Never gave to just to the GOP as a party.

Gave to some candidates locally on both sides of the aisle, but the GOP House was interesting to me back in the day because of the nature of the House. It turns over quicker, but the incumbents stay strong, and money has a bigger impact there. It starts (sort of, in principle) the legislative and budget processes.

These days, since partisanship became so prevalent, it is a cesspool.
But my main beef was that W came to Washington as a guy who “had reached across the aisle in Texas” and was selling fiscal responsibility. Instead, the budget got worse, and not just because of 9-11.

My fiscal party left me.

The GOP Congressional fundraiser that allocates money to House races. Similar to the committee McConnell used to Chair for the Senate.

Never gave to just to the GOP as a party.

Gave to some candidates locally on both sides of the aisle, but the GOP House was interesting to me back in the day because of the nature of the House. It turns over quicker, but the incumbents stay strong, and money has a bigger impact there. It starts (sort of, in principle) the legislative and budget processes.

These days, since partisanship became so prevalent, it is a cesspool.
But my main beef was that W came to Washington as a guy who “had reached across the aisle in Texas” and was selling fiscal responsibility. Instead, the budget got worse, and not just because of 9-11.

My fiscal party left me.
GWB has done more for this oldster than any Liberal act I can think of with the The 2003 Medicare Modernization Act (MMA).

MTIOTF, interestingly some of Demo Blue Dogs questioned what the act would do to the budget, and as you point out fiscal responsibility took a hit under GWB.

Back in my GOP days I went crazy over Nixon's deficits which turned out to be peanuts compared with presidents from both parties since then with emphasis on tax cuts/and or spending. Voters love to have benefits without paying for them.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
GWB has done more for this oldster than any Liberal act I can think of with the The 2003 Medicare Modernization Act (MMA).

MTIOTF, interestingly some of Demo Blue Dogs questioned what the act would do to the budget, and as you point out fiscal responsibility took a hit under GWB.

Back in my GOP days I went crazy over Nixon's deficits which turned out to be peanuts compared with presidents from both parties since then with emphasis on tax cuts/and or spending. Voters love to have benefits without paying for them.
I practiced a LOT a of law under GHWB‘s ADA.

When I heard anybody talk about how Daddy or W were hard-right partisans, I’d quit listening. They were both mild milquetoast.

Perhaps we should study how to make coal cleaner...
You can minimize soot but an atom of carbon is always going to combust to make a molecule of CO2, which is what we worry about these days. Clean coal, once you consider CO2 to be dirty, is no more realistic than finding blue unicorns, or DANC posting something intelligent.

I practiced a LOT a of law under GHWB‘s ADA.

When I heard anybody talk about how Daddy or W were hard-right partisans, I’d quit listening. They were both mild milquetoast.

Yep, by today's GOP standards the Bushes would be lefty RINOs instead of moderate Republicans, or a "compassionate conservative" as GWB called himself.

Yep, by today's GOP standards the Bushes would be lefty RINOs instead of moderate Republicans, or a "compassionate conservative" as GWB called himself.
I’m not entirely sure you know what a conservative is. I have no hate for GWB, he was a good guy that got caught by some bad banking practices.

But he was not a conservative, unless you consider poking Iraq with a stick conservative.

I’m not entirely sure you know what a conservative is. I have no hate for GWB, he was a good guy that got caught by some bad banking practices.

But he was not a conservative, unless you consider poking Iraq with a stick conservative.

With both parties moving to extremes the labels conservative and liberal as once applied to say a Bush or Bubba Clinton don't apply anymore.

Personally, if you look closely at my stuff, I try to avoid labels.

I have not given a dollar to the GOP since Bush 2 failed to balance the budget ... as "promised"

My disdain for the Dems is much older.
The smallest deficit we’ve had since 2001 was during the GWB administration the year before the financial crisis. We’d do backflips for a $161 billion deficit now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT