ADVERTISEMENT

Man I like this guy

How bout 3 programs, couple levels after leaving a storied program as assistant. Guts, confidence and can-do.
Bill Lynch went 36-12-3 at Butler. IDGAF about what he did at Elon or IUP or even at JMU pre-FBS. He inherited a team that was 2 years removed from being 28-2 and finishing either 1 or 2 in the playoffs.

That JMU made the leap to FBS under him and had such quick success IS something to be excited about.

Indiana fans long loved an arrogant man....If Cignetti wins, he'll be worshipped like that man was.
Arrogant men, like coach Knight, win not just because of their arrogance, but because they recruit great talented young players who listen, who are disciplined and can accept the methods of the coach. Having James Madison players ( I am assuming that they were not heavily recruited) move on to IU does not convince me that Cignetti has the talent to do nothing more than to spin our wheels. I hope I am wrong but I still believe that winning is about 85% because of the players and only 15% because of the coaching. I hope I am wrong, but it looks like the Big Ten Media agrees with me. Good luck coach, I do wish you the best of luck and I will be at the Rose Bowl to cheer you guys on for game 3.

Bill Lynch went 36-12-3 at Butler. IDGAF about what he did at Elon or IUP or even at JMU pre-FBS. He inherited a team that was 2 years removed from being 28-2 and finishing either 1 or 2 in the playoffs.

That JMU made the leap to FBS under him and had such quick success IS something to be excited about.
Who would you prefer to be head coach?

Allen squandered the last two years by leaving 2-3 wins on the table per year. Cignetti's resume suggests a head coach that pulls out the close games, unlike Allen.

Who would you prefer to be head coach?

Allen squandered the last two years by leaving 2-3 wins on the table per year. Cignetti's resume suggests a head coach that pulls out the close games, unlike Allen.
I stated above that Cignetti checks all of the boxes as to what I was looking for in a coach. But he's cockier than Brian Kelly (and lots of other very accomplished head coaches), which is saying a lot, and I don't love cocky folks.

His excessive cockiness rubs me the wrong way at times but it may be something that plays well with players and recruits. Sounds like it might be an ends justify the means issue. If it helps change the stigma and culture with IU football, then it's worth it.

Win and he looks like a genius....lose and people will make fun of him.

Last edited:
Arrogant men, like coach Knight, win not just because of their arrogance, but because they recruit great talented young players who listen, who are disciplined and can accept the methods of the coach. Having James Madison players ( I am assuming that they were not heavily recruited) move on to IU does not convince me that Cignetti has the talent to do nothing more than to spin our wheels. I hope I am wrong but I still believe that winning is about 85% because of the players and only 15% because of the coaching. I hope I am wrong, but it looks like the Big Ten Media agrees with me. Good luck coach, I do wish you the best of luck and I will be at the Rose Bowl to cheer you guys on for game 3.
Perhaps. Our talent level on paper isn’t much different, but have to hope the 13 JMU xfers help accelerate a culture change.

Also have to hope coaching means a little more. We saw CTA throw away games, and coaches like Jimbo bought the best recruits and still struggled.

Who knows. I like the approach with the hire, but success here is obviously no slam dunk. Fingers crossed it works out.

I ❤️ the attitude of being better than simply playing Purdue for the 6th win of the year. That mindset SUCKS and has permeated the program for decades.

If I read Cignetti right, he plans on playing Purdue for the 9th or 10th W of the year AND kicking their GD asses in the process!!

His excessive cockiness rubs me the wrong way at times but it may be something that plays well with players and recruits. Sounds like it might be an ends justify the means issue. If it helps change the stigma and culture with IU football, then it's worth it.

Win and he looks like a genius....lose and people will make fun of him.
Just curious, have you ever been in the military?

I am super fired up for him! I love the attitude of trying to be the best, I hated how our previous coach always made excuses when playing other big teams. I grew tired up dumb penalties, poor special teams fundamentals, and horrid coverage /tackling. I love our coach is confident! As a former college football player and 19 year college and high school coach … football players need a confident coach / they will thrive with one!

*until they get punched in the mouth.
I can’t speak for Mr “Mushmouth” Tyson, but I’m pretty much punch drunk after all these seasons of following IU football since about 4th grade. My only plan going forward is to take it as it comes, with no expectations except for some reasonable semblance of improvement over the burden that has been, historically, the IU football program.

Indy1203 asks a good question a couple of posts above regarding the military. As a veteran I can assure you I want a confident and cocky military leader like Cignetti. Now, everyone has an opinion as to the degree in which a football team resembles a military unit. I'm thinking there are more similarities than differences from the standpoint of planning, preparing, and developing the mindset that "losing is not an option".

This discussion is interesting. Almost a study in human nature, or political leanings? And hell no, I’m not expanding on that, but I have a sincere hope this is the year we all see what we’ve dreamed of seeing on Saturday afternoons. And we collectively join here to celebrate (and probably commiserate) a truly tide-changing season.

I’m 66. Been going to games since 1964 when I was 6. By anyone’s standards, that’s a whole helluva lot of crappy football. We’ve seen glimpses. We deserve better. And I fully believe CCC will deliver. So much so, I will be in the new “suites” in the SEZ with some wonderful business associates and friends. LFG HOOSIERS!!!!

Well said. I’m not 66 but I feel like I’ve seen my share of crappy IU football. I’m all in with CCC and I’m with you on hoping to come here to celebrate on Saturday afternoon this season!

Big brave guy taking on FIU, Charlotte, and WIU. Louisville too tough for Mr. Tough Guy?
18th in the league. That's the projection.

“You can't really pay attention to it or harp on it too much,” Walters said. “But I’d be naive to sort of turn a blind eye and not talk about the elephant in the room. So we've definitely addressed it.”

Really inspiring comments by your guy.

I'll dial back my comments slightly. I don't find EVERYTHING that he says confidently to be off-putting. But I found his opening statement yesterday to be mostly that. Some of the other quotes and clips from when he was in the scrum later didn't necessarily irritate me.
Well, I have to admit. After you mentioning "his hand gestures very effeminate".....I have no respect for any opinion you have.

So, are we to believe now that if CCC fails to win at IU, that absolutely no coach EVER will be able to turn this into a winning program?🤔
No, because Cignetti is not Nick Saban and while we've invested a lot more in football, if for some reason some game-changing amount of money were to be invested in football because of a donor or something like that, it would change the potential ceiling for us. I don't expect that to happen, but I certainly think we have Iowa level potential right now (not this season, i just mean we have a reasonably high ceiling).

I don't think you can say that no coach ever can turn IU football around regardless of how CCC does. It would obviously be a major let down if we go through another coach without success but it's never over.

It will be interesting how NIL, transfer portal and being in the big 2 effect our fortunes long term. We are obviously still at a disadvantage when it comes to money compared to the football powerhouses. However, we should have an advantage in the long run over anyone not in the Big Ten and SEC.

Being in the Big Ten should keep the cash flowing pretty well and maybe now that it appears schools will soon be able to pay players directly, the gap between us and the big timers will shrink.

Last edited:
No, because Cignetti is not Nick Saban and while we've invested a lot more in football, if for some reason some game-changing amount of money were to be invested in football because of a donor or something like that, it would change the potential ceiling for us. I don't expect that to happen, but I certainly think we have Iowa level potential right now (not this season, i just mean we have a reasonably high ceiling).
Past Iowa or the new B1G Iowa? Cig isn’t Saban but he was on his staff and that’s good enough I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT