ADVERTISEMENT

Luck out for year - forever?

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
The Colts should be looking at a new QB in the draft. I wouldn't trust his shoulder to last an entire season. To me, Brissett is auditioning for a starting job in the NFL. The Colts will probably trade him, but he has more games to prove he is the right person in Indy.

What sucks is instead of using draft picks in their troubled areas on the line and defense, now they might need to use a top draft pick to replace Luck. I would not be surprised if the Colts keep Brissett while they work on the line and draft a starting QB after next year. Tanking two years should give them the picks to rebuild.

drafting someone better than Brissett won't be that easy.

only silver lining in all this may be picking up Brissett.

drafting someone better than Brissett won't be that easy.

only silver lining in all this may be picking up Brissett.
I was impressed how quick Brissett came in was an improvement over Tolzein, I thought he would continue to improve, but it is hard to make a judgement on someone that runs for his life behind an awful line and suffers 10 sacks in an earlier game. He will deserve a lot of credit if he can survive the next 8 games.

The Colts should be looking at a new QB in the draft. I wouldn't trust his shoulder to last an entire season. To me, Brissett is auditioning for a starting job in the NFL. The Colts will probably trade him, but he has more games to prove he is the right person in Indy.

What sucks is instead of using draft picks in their troubled areas on the line and defense, now they might need to use a top draft pick to replace Luck. I would not be surprised if the Colts keep Brissett while they work on the line and draft a starting QB after next year. Tanking two years should give them the picks to rebuild.

As I stated at the time, should have kept Peyton and dealt the pick/Luck for the biggest haul in NFL history.

As I stated then: they're not going to stop making QBs.

Colts are getting what they deserve.

I've had people tell me from the start that Luck would never play again, but I've also had people tell me that he simply wasn't going to play if the Colts ended up being worse than .500, which is exactly what's happened. I tend to believe it's the latter that the Colts are basically tanking again for a high choice. The goal of this rebuild has always been for 2 to 3 years down the road. This is year 1 and though it's ugly, there's some pieces to build around. What would truly make the team much better is a new coaching staff, OL, Inside LB, and Defensive backfield. Fix those 3 areas this off season, and get a healthy Luck, and you can be right back on top of an awful AFC South. You'd still need some pieces if you really wanted to advance in the playoffs, but at least you'd be able to compete with Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Houston again.

As I stated at the time, should have kept Peyton and dealt the pick/Luck for the biggest haul in NFL history.

As I stated then: they're not going to stop making QBs.

Colts are getting what they deserve.
We are in a similar place with Luck as we were with Peyton. The difference is Luck still has many more years to play if he can come back. I question if he can ever have full painless use of his arm/shoulder. As he gets into next season, will he start having pain by week 3?

I've had people tell me from the start that Luck would never play again, but I've also had people tell me that he simply wasn't going to play if the Colts ended up being worse than .500, which is exactly what's happened. I tend to believe it's the latter that the Colts are basically tanking again for a high choice. The goal of this rebuild has always been for 2 to 3 years down the road. This is year 1 and though it's ugly, there's some pieces to build around. What would truly make the team much better is a new coaching staff, OL, Inside LB, and Defensive backfield. Fix those 3 areas this off season, and get a healthy Luck, and you can be right back on top of an awful AFC South. You'd still need some pieces if you really wanted to advance in the playoffs, but at least you'd be able to compete with Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Houston again.
Surgery on a QB's throwing shoulder always has concerns. The Colts didn't seem concerned, or didn't want to show concern. I have been waiting on a decent OL since Luck got here. The bad line was one reason people used for not bringing Peyton back. I feared he would get injured again. OL should be a top priority.

Reactions: crossfire74
Surgery on a QB's throwing shoulder always has concerns. The Colts didn't seem concerned, or didn't want to show concern. I have been waiting on a decent OL since Luck got here. The bad line was one reason people used for not bringing Peyton back. I feared he would get injured again. OL should be a top priority.

Bears fan first but support the Colts. This whole debacle can be traced back to the incompetence of Grigson. Luck started off with an Oline that new their job was to protect the franchise. They did it for Peyton and did it for Luck (11-5 I think first 3 seasons). Grigson came in and instead of going with what worked for 15 years he wanted to be a smash mouth team/toughest guy on the block,etc....completely changed what was working.

The Oline changed and basically killed Luck over the course of 2015, 2016 and now 2017 seasons. Obviously Irsay hired Grigson so he can deserve some blame too but the majority of this is on Grigson. Might be one of the worst GM hires in the history of NFL....including whoever Cleveland has hired over the last 30 years.

Bears fan first but support the Colts. This whole debacle can be traced back to the incompetence of Grigson. Luck started off with an Oline that new their job was to protect the franchise. They did it for Peyton and did it for Luck (11-5 I think first 3 seasons). Grigson came in and instead of going with what worked for 15 years he wanted to be a smash mouth team/toughest guy on the block,etc....completely changed what was working.

The Oline changed and basically killed Luck over the course of 2015, 2016 and now 2017 seasons. Obviously Irsay hired Grigson so he can deserve some blame too but the majority of this is on Grigson. Might be one of the worst GM hires in the history of NFL....including whoever Cleveland has hired over the last 30 years.
I think that is pretty accurate as to who to blame, and the jury is still out on Ballard, but he's not going to fix the mess in a year. Gonna take him some time before we see if he's the brilliant GM that some in the NFL claim he is.

It still amazes me as to how bad that unit truly is and the complete lack of effort to fix it. Kelly was a good pick up as was Mewhort, but Castonzo is pretty average and the other two spots are just awful. You'd think after 5 years of trying, they would stumble upon a combination that works. People really fail to understand the importance of an OL. They make or break you in the NFL. QB's get all the glory, but the OL is the driving force behind any championship team. Look at IU football, their OL is terrible and that's why they are so wildly inconsistent. The Colts won't be anything until they fix that unit.

Reactions: iubud
I think that is pretty accurate as to who to blame, and the jury is still out on Ballard, but he's not going to fix the mess in a year. Gonna take him some time before we see if he's the brilliant GM that some in the NFL claim he is.

It still amazes me as to how bad that unit truly is and the complete lack of effort to fix it. Kelly was a good pick up as was Mewhort, but Castonzo is pretty average and the other two spots are just awful. You'd think after 5 years of trying, they would stumble upon a combination that works. People really fail to understand the importance of an OL. They make or break you in the NFL. QB's get all the glory, but the OL is the driving force behind any championship team. Look at IU football, their OL is terrible and that's why they are so wildly inconsistent. The Colts won't be anything until they fix that unit.

It was never prioritized under that Purdouche Grigson.

Ballard is awesome, and will be in an even better position when Peyton takes on the VP, Football Ops role.

Next question.

Reactions: crossfire74

I had the same surgery to my shoulder about 10 years ago. I was 46 at the time. Torn labrum from overhead serving in tennis. I was told I would have a 6 month recovery. That was not even close. I could not throw a ball overhand or serve in tennis overhand for 18 months.
Now, Luck is obviously an elite athlete with access to the best trainers and doctors.. I would have expected him to be ready to go quicker than 18 months. However, I did not have any expectation that he would be ready for this season. It is hard to describe how it feels but you just know when you test it is not ready.

If the original diagnosis back in 2015 was torn labrum and he didn't get it repaired immediately then the Colts and Luck were either fools or they were sold a bill of goods by some doctor.

It was never prioritized under that Purdouche Grigson.

Ballard is awesome, and will be in an even better position when Peyton takes on the VP, Football Ops role.

Next question.
Look for Peyton as President of the organization with ownership or don't look for him at all. If that happens gruden will be coach.

I had the same surgery to my shoulder about 10 years ago. I was 46 at the time. Torn labrum from overhead serving in tennis. I was told I would have a 6 month recovery. That was not even close. I could not throw a ball overhand or serve in tennis overhand for 18 months.
Now, Luck is obviously an elite athlete with access to the best trainers and doctors.. I would have expected him to be ready to go quicker than 18 months. However, I did not have any expectation that he would be ready for this season. It is hard to describe how it feels but you just know when you test it is not ready.

If the original diagnosis back in 2015 was torn labrum and he didn't get it repaired immediately then the Colts and Luck were either fools or they were sold a bill of goods by some doctor.
Haha torn labia playing tennis. Ho

Reactions: birdforbogey
I would be very surprised if the Irsay family gives up any ownership.

This all day long. Unless Irsay decides he wants to win more than complete ownership I don't see him ever giving up even a small % to any outsider. Why would he?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT