ADVERTISEMENT

Lt. General Mark Hertling: Obesity is an national security issue (Did not know he was an IU Grad)

Yeah I dare all of you to track your screen time. Pretty easy on the iPhone. I’ll go first. Mine is currently holding steady at just under three hours a day which I think is higher than shit. I blame my wife for some of it as she has downloaded whatever games she plays to my phone so when she runs out of lives she can switch over.

The daughter on the other hand. We had to have an intervention about a year ago. She is now just at the national average (per some NIH report from 2019) of around 7-8 hours a day for 14-15 year olds. Think about that. And hell she runs track and plays travel soccer. It’s a shame really.
My screen time is about 4 hours, but in fairness, I do some legitimate work on there. And read it during bathroom breaks ;)

Reactions: larsIU
Ditto on the beer. It’s just crazy how much more diet factors in than exercise
Especially as you age. Even into my 40s, I could switch to light beer, mix in a salad for lunch, stop eating bread and drop 10 lbs in a couple of weeks. That was literally my training regimen for backpacking trips up until about 10 years ago. I could do that and throw on my pack and do 10 miles/day, and enjoy the trip. Now it's a total pain in the ass to get ready for a week long trip that might cover 40 miles total.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Especially as you age. Even into my 40s, I could switch to light beer, mix in a salad for lunch, stop eating bread and drop 10 lbs in a couple of weeks. That was literally my training regimen for backpacking trips up until about 10 years ago. I could do that and throw on my pack and do 10 miles/day, and enjoy the trip. Now it's a total pain in the ass to get ready for a week long trip that might cover 40 miles total.
Spot on. It’s like flipping a switch it happens so fast

Interesting TED Talk about how people joining the armed services today (this was 2012) can barely do a basic fitness test. By 2030, 65% of kids in America will be OBESE. Not overweight, obese. Kinda makes your stomach turn a little bit looking at the statistics. The average American eats 15 pounds more sugar than in 1985.

I'm going for a run. :)
I strongly believe this TED Talk couldn't be given today - or at least wouldn't be well-received and possibly even cancelled as fat-shaming. They're loosening the military fitness standards because so many people are failing them. That is insane to me - I didn't serve in the military, but the people I know who did all got into exceptional shape while they served. It was hard and it should be.

In a larger sense, obesity has become a third rail. In the 90s/early 2000s, celebrity culture was rightly criticized for lifting up being too skinny or photoshopping models to an unattainable physical appearance. That was unhealthy, but the pendulum has swung too far in the other way. Walk through any Target or any other department store and most all the mannequins have obese bodies. I do believe that we shouldn't collectively hold up an unattainable fitness level as the goal, but I also don't think we should tell everyone that they're OK at any weight or size. I really believe that's a huge societal disservice and probably dangerous.

I strongly believe this TED Talk couldn't be given today - or at least wouldn't be well-received and possibly even cancelled as fat-shaming. They're loosening the military fitness standards because so many people are failing them. That is insane to me - I didn't serve in the military, but the people I know who did all got into exceptional shape while they served. It was hard and it should be.

In a larger sense, obesity has become a third rail. In the 90s/early 2000s, celebrity culture was rightly criticized for lifting up being too skinny or photoshopping models to an unattainable physical appearance. That was unhealthy, but the pendulum has swung too far in the other way. Walk through any Target or any other department store and most all the mannequins have obese bodies. I do believe that we shouldn't collectively hold up an unattainable fitness level as the goal, but I also don't think we should tell everyone that they're OK at any weight or size. I really believe that's a huge societal disservice and probably dangerous.
i'm convinced the food industry is culpable with all the sh*t they add to food

i'm convinced the food industry is culpable with all the sh*t they add to food
100% they are.

Every 5 years pretty much anyone who has an interest can provide oral/written testimony so that the government can revise/update the Federal Dietary Guidelines. With a straight face, people from fill-in-the-blank shit food industry will stand up there and tell the committee why so many of grams of their product needs to be included in a healthy American diet. It'd almost be a joke if they didn't have multi-million dollar lobbying efforts behind that testimony. The Federal Dietary Guidelines pretty much dictate what's served in schools and pretty much any other public institution. The worst offenders for that are probably the dairy folks. It should be criminal for them to recommend the amount of dairy deemed acceptable - especially cheese.

Luckily there are health experts/ adults in the room who testify, but that process is amazingly eye-opening.

As someone who dealt with achilles tendonitis for much of last year and am just getting over a strained hamstring injury, I can attest to that.
that sucks!!! i'll never forget playing in an over 30 game and hearing a gun shot. the guy next to me ruptured his achilles. said later he'd have rather been shot

Spot on. It’s like flipping a switch it happens so fast
I was a gym guy and a runner throughout my 20's. Got married, had kids and managed to stay reasonably fit until my mid-forties. This January my dad passed, February I rolled over the big 60 and decided this has to change. Started a diet after my birthday, as of Monday I'm down 28 pounds and I'll probably shoot for another 10. Makes me embarrassed that I slipped far enough to actually need to lose this much weight. But my resting heart rate is in the fifties and if I lose another ten I'll be what I was in high school.

I was a gym guy and a runner throughout my 20's. Got married, had kids and managed to stay reasonably fit until my mid-forties. This January my dad passed, February I rolled over the big 60 and decided this has to change. Started a diet after my birthday, as of Monday I'm down 28 pounds and I'll probably shoot for another 10. Makes me embarrassed that I slipped far enough to actually need to lose this much weight. But my resting heart rate is in the fifties and if I lose another ten I'll be what I was in high school.
congratulations standard. that's no easy task! you'll probably add a decade to your life

that sucks!!! i'll never forget playing in an over 30 game and hearing a gun shot. the guy next to me ruptured his achilles. said later he'd have rather been shot
2 guys I played with in HS ruptured their achilles in their 40s. One in a church league game and the other in an alumni game. My back injury in my mid 30s, may have saved my achilles in my 40s.

2 guys I played with in HS ruptured their achilles in their 40s. One in a church league game and the other in an alumni game. My back injury in my mid 30s, may have saved my achilles in my 40s.
lol just sucks. all of it.

Worst injury i ever saw occurred in an over 30 indoor. Luckily i missed that night but a friend of mine was playing. A guy went to change directions and his foot stayed planted. His ankle and everything above it didn't. Friend showed me the pic the next day (sick bastard made sure to get a pic) and the guy was laying on his stomach and normally if you put your foot up your sole would point at the sky. Nope. Dude's whole foot was hanging off sideways, bones sticking out.

Good news was the guy made a full recovery somehow. God Bless modern medicine.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Worst injury i ever saw occurred in an over 30 indoor. Luckily i missed that night but a friend of mine was playing. A guy went to change directions and his foot stayed planted. His ankle and everything above it didn't. Friend showed me the pic the next day (sick bastard made sure to get a pic) and the guy was laying on his stomach and normally if you put your foot up your sole would point at the sky. Nope. Dude's whole foot was hanging off sideways, bones sticking out.

Good news was the guy made a full recovery somehow. God Bless modern medicine.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will put indoor up against anything for dangerous activities. they say you gain a pound or two a year as you age. so by then most guys are at least 20-30 pounds bigger than they were during their playing days. THEY CANNOT STOP. no matter what their brain says their body cannot stop in time so you have these horrible late tackles.

as an aside lars up until five years ago my crowd was still playing open. it was so disheartening. all D1 and ex pros. every single one of us. and we would lose to these kids in their 20s that werent worth a shit. we'd possess the ball the entire game, shoot, miss, hit the boards or the goalie and watch them take off on the counter like greyhounds and we could never catch them. fat. slow. sad. we'd lose 8-3 to terrible players lol. but it was mostly about the pitchers at the bar anyway. an hour and a half reprieve from our horrible wives.

i used to play outdoor on sunday mornings and one broke d*ck guy on our team used to show up in church clothes. he'd change in the lot and then change back afterwards bc he told his fam he was going to mass. if was rainy at all i'd always try to slide tackle him lol

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will put indoor up against anything for dangerous activities. they say you gain a pound or two a year as you age. so by then most guys are at least 20-30 pounds bigger than they were during their playing days. THEY CANNOT STOP. no matter what their brain says their body cannot stop in time so you have these horrible late tackles.

as an aside lars up until five years ago my crowd was still playing open. it was so disheartening. all D1 and ex pros. every single one of us. and we would lose to these kids in their 20s that werent worth a shit. we'd possess the ball the entire game, shoot, miss, hit the boards or the goalie and watch them take off on the counter like greyhounds and we could never catch them. fat. slow. sad. we'd lose 8-3 to terrible players lol. but it was mostly about the pitchers at the bar anyway. an hour and a half reprieve from our horrible wives.

i used to play outdoor on sunday mornings and one broke d*ck guy on our team used to show up in church clothes. he'd change in the lot and then change back afterwards bc he told his fam he was going to mass. if was rainy at all i'd always try to slide tackle him lol
I played on an open team that had this friend of mine and I as the oldest (40 ish) and we cherry picked some interns (who played highschool and NAIA) were like 19-20. We had a 34 y/o former DII (?) guy and some other former HS players/lower college players. But, best guy was a dude from (I think) the DRC. Short, squat and a freaking hammer of a left foot. Just a great player. Couldn't understand a word he said. His name was Goodluck. Go figure. We won our division and got promoted. Those teams were all 22 y/os. Even with the younger dudes we got murked.

I played on an open team that had this friend of mine and I as the oldest (40 ish) and we cherry picked some interns (who played highschool and NAIA) were like 19-20. We had a 34 y/o former DII (?) guy and some other former HS players/lower college players. But, best guy was a dude from (I think) the DRC. Short, squat and a freaking hammer of a left foot. Just a great player. Couldn't understand a word he said. His name was Goodluck. Go figure. We won our division and got promoted. Those teams were all 22 y/os. Even with the younger dudes we got murked.
LOL that's fantastic! Goodluck - self-fulfilling for you guys lol. all that stuff is the best. our team has six guys that i played with for busch starting in first grade. we've kept up and played together ever since. our whole team are guys who i knew playing club since grade school. but for our team(s) we'd at best see each other once a year. it's been a great social part of life.

here's a story you'll like as a former insurance/iu/soccer guy. my buddy represented former iu great angelo dibernardo in a workers' comp claim. it's been so long he won't care. and it was public. anyway he was playing for the stl steamers in the old misl after iu and completely shredded his knee. my buddy filed a comp claim for him and the steamers told him to F off they're broke. so my buddy reduced the comp award to a judgment and went in the old checkerdome and tore out all of the astroturf the steamers played on adn sold it to eastern illinois u lol

Lars watch sir Alex Ferguson never give in. New doc on paramount. You will. Love it. Aberdeen 3 Bayern Munich 2. Aberdeen 2 Real Madrid 1.

I'm the same. I'm in my 40s now and I'm healthier now than I was in my 20s. 20 years ago, I ate crap and only moderately exercised. Now I eat pretty well, run between 25-30 miles a week and work out a few times a week.

I like being in shape/healthy and know that if I fall off the wagon, it isn't hard to lose it in a big way. The breaking point for me was when my 14 year old daughter was born. There is a picture of me holding my kids at my heaviest and just thinking of that photo still makes me cringe.

My vice is beer, or good beer at least. I typically don't drink beer during the week, but do like the heavier ABV content beers.
I work out so I can drink beer. Plus work out is Prozac for me. I’ve just done it for so long that I couldn’t imagine not doing it. It just makes me feel human.

Lars watch sir Alex Ferguson never give in. New doc on paramount. You will. Love it. Aberdeen 3 Bayern Munich 2. Aberdeen 2 Real Madrid 1.
Will do. If you like podcasts check our Roger Bennett's American Fiasco about the US collapse at the 1998 WC. Finally answered why Harkes wasn't in that lineup. Shocking.

I work out so I can drink beer. Plus work out is Prozac for me. I’ve just done it for so long that I couldn’t imagine not doing it. It just makes me feel human.
I do think there is a lot of truth to that. I didn't run for a. bit when I initially hurt my hamstring a few weeks ago and felt sluggish and down. I usually run in the ballpark of 1,000 - 1,200 miles a year and while I was dealing with my achilles issue last year I did just over 600 miles for the year. I honestly think I was mildly depressed because of it.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Luckily it didn't tear or rupture, but it was really sore for a good long while. I got a sleeping boot and started to do regular exercises to stretch it out and eventually got better, but for awhile there I thought I was going to have to hang up my running shoes for good.

In late 2018 I joined a crossfit gym and was going there on days I wasn't running. I started having my achilles issues around December 19/January '20 and one of my running buddies swears it was the combination of the cross fit stuff and all the running I was doing. Not sure why that'd be the case, but I didn't go back when they closed down during the pandemic and haven't had any real issue with my achilles since.

Luckily it didn't tear or rupture, but it was really sore for a good long while. I got a sleeping boot and started to do regular exercises to stretch it out and eventually got better, but for awhile there I thought I was going to have to hang up my running shoes for good.

In late 2018 I joined a crossfit gym and was going there on days I wasn't running. I started having my achilles issues around December 19/January '20 and one of my running buddies swears it was the combination of the cross fit stuff and all the running I was doing. Not sure why that'd be the case, but I didn't go back when they closed down during the pandemic and haven't had any real issue with my achilles since.
Glad to hear it! I don’t know how you guys put in that many miles on pavement.

LOL that's fantastic! Goodluck - self-fulfilling for you guys lol. all that stuff is the best. our team has six guys that i played with for busch starting in first grade. we've kept up and played together ever since. our whole team are guys who i knew playing club since grade school. but for our team(s) we'd at best see each other once a year. it's been a great social part of life.

here's a story you'll like as a former insurance/iu/soccer guy. my buddy represented former iu great angelo dibernardo in a workers' comp claim. it's been so long he won't care. and it was public. anyway he was playing for the stl steamers in the old misl after iu and completely shredded his knee. my buddy filed a comp claim for him and the steamers told him to F off they're broke. so my buddy reduced the comp award to a judgment and went in the old checkerdome and tore out all of the astroturf the steamers played on adn sold it to eastern illinois u lol
Did you see the Man U/Villarreal Europa championship game? How often does the same player score the game winner and also makes the game winning save in goal?

An MD who worked on aging issues at an academic level told me the three most important things one can do to keep fit and healthy was walk, walk, and walk.
I hate to say it, but this pandemic has made me so lazy. I have never, ever, been like this. I just have to get into the elevator and I have a great gym. But working out with a mask on gave me all the excuses I needed.

I used to do marathons and triathlons. Now I honestly feel so out of shape (not fat, although I’ve put on weight) that I am having a tough time running 4 miles.

I have decided that no matter how awful I feel while running, I can at least walk. So, that’s what I’m doing now. Run, but if I feel like garbage, walk.

Just moving is a start.

I hate to say it, but this pandemic has made me so lazy. I have never, ever, been like this. I just have to get into the elevator and I have a great gym. But working out with a mask on gave me all the excuses I needed.

I used to do marathons and triathlons. Now I honestly feel so out of shape (not fat, although I’ve put on weight) that I am having a tough time running 4 miles.

I have decided that no matter how awful I feel while running, I can at least walk. So, that’s what I’m doing now. Run, but if I feel like garbage, walk.

Just moving is a start.
Walking 4miles burns about the same amount of calories as running 4miles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT