ADVERTISEMENT

Lt. General Mark Hertling: Obesity is an national security issue (Did not know he was an IU Grad)

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
Interesting TED Talk about how people joining the armed services today (this was 2012) can barely do a basic fitness test. By 2030, 65% of kids in America will be OBESE. Not overweight, obese. Kinda makes your stomach turn a little bit looking at the statistics. The average American eats 15 pounds more sugar than in 1985.

I'm going for a run. :)

Interesting TED Talk about how people joining the armed services today (this was 2012) can barely do a basic fitness test. By 2030, 65% of kids in America will be OBESE. Not overweight, obese. Kinda makes your stomach turn a little bit looking at the statistics. The average American eats 15 pounds more sugar than in 1985.

I'm going for a run. :)
I’ve handled four worker’s compensation injury claims for cops injured doing the fitness test!! That was too much of a strain! Obesity is a massive problem. The shit that goes into our food and all the damn electronics. My kid’s school has the most incredible 3/4 size fenced in astroturf soccer field I’ve ever seen. NEVER kids playing on. They sit on benches next to it on their phones holding Starbucks.

I’ve handled four worker’s compensation injury claims for cops injured doing the fitness test!! That was too much of a strain! Obesity is a massive problem. The shit that goes into our food and all the damn electronics. My kid’s school has the most incredible 3/4 size fenced in astroturf soccer field I’ve ever seen. NEVER kids playing on. They sit on benches next to it on their phones holding Starbucks.

It is fascinating that he kind of uses the baseline year of 1984 as the beginning of when American kids started to fatten up. According to The Google, 1983 was the year of the video game "crash" where the market for home game systems were completely oversaturated. Everyone began sitting in front of their Atari and Nintendos where when I was younger I was out and about riding my bike and running around the neighborhood. Also in 1984 congress passed the Cable Communications Act of 1984 that deregulated cable. All the sudden we went from 7 channels to 70. More reason to stare at the television. Also the VCR had its heyday in the 80s and 90s.

All of these things were awesome at the time, but now that I think about it, I did spend a lot more time in front of the TV when I had all these new tools at my disposal. Luckily I played sports year round and that kept me active.

Bottom line is we need to move more.

It is fascinating that he kind of uses the baseline year of 1984 as the beginning of when American kids started to fatten up. According to The Google, 1983 was the year of the video game "crash" where the market for home game systems were completely oversaturated. Everyone began sitting in front of their Atari and Nintendos where when I was younger I was out and about riding my bike and running around the neighborhood. Also in 1984 congress passed the Cable Communications Act of 1984 that deregulated cable. All the sudden we went from 7 channels to 70. More reason to stare at the television. Also the VCR had its heyday in the 80s and 90s.

All of these things were awesome at the time, but now that I think about it, I did spend a lot more time in front of the TV when I had all these new tools at my disposal. Luckily I played sports year round and that kept me active.

Yeah I love the nostalgia. I had the Nintendo and randomly I remember there was like a robot thing with it. Atari to intellivision (baseball was incredible) to colecovision to Nintendo. I think. Concur on all your points doc but none of it compares to kids today with these phones. They’re obsessed. It’s bad

Yeah I love the nostalgia. I had the Nintendo and randomly I remember there was like a robot thing with it. Atari to intellivision (baseball was incredible) to colecovision to Nintendo. I think. Concur on all your points doc but none of it compares to kids today with these phones. They’re obsessed. It’s bad

It's not just kids....

I take it Phys Ed in schools is no longer a thing.

Reactions: ulrey
I enjoy camping and particularly back country camping. I'm amazed at the number of people who are constantly on their phones in a front country campsite as well as the number of people who complain about the lack of cell service in the back country. Adults are just as bad as the kids.

I enjoy camping and particularly back country camping. I'm amazed at the number of people who are constantly on their phones in a front country campsite as well as the number of people who complain about the lack of cell service in the back country. Adults are just as bad as the kids.
I'm like Mr. Wonderful. My idea of roughing it is not getting a mint on my pillow.

It's not just kids....
Yeah I dare all of you to track your screen time. Pretty easy on the iPhone. I’ll go first. Mine is currently holding steady at just under three hours a day which I think is higher than shit. I blame my wife for some of it as she has downloaded whatever games she plays to my phone so when she runs out of lives she can switch over.

The daughter on the other hand. We had to have an intervention about a year ago. She is now just at the national average (per some NIH report from 2019) of around 7-8 hours a day for 14-15 year olds. Think about that. And hell she runs track and plays travel soccer. It’s a shame really.

Yeah I dare all of you to track your screen time. Pretty easy on the iPhone. I’ll go first. Mine is currently holding steady at just under three hours a day which I think is higher than shit. I blame my wife for some of it as she has downloaded whatever games she plays to my phone so when she runs out of lives she can switch over.

The daughter on the other hand. We had to have an intervention about a year ago. She is now just at the national average (per some NIH report from 2019) of around 7-8 hours a day for 14-15 year olds. Think about that. And hell she runs track and plays travel soccer. It’s a shame really.
Used to be you had to be sitting at a keyboard to fvck off on the Internet when you were supposed to be doing something productive. Now you can do it any time, anywhere.

People eat too much food. I slashed my intake by half March 1st. Cut out all added sugar. I’m never hungry and I’m down to roughly 190 now. 10 more to go. I feel like I’m 18 again. It’s not rocket science. I still watch a lot of TV. But it’s the intake!!!

cable de-reg had zero to do with number of channels.

that was all about satellite channels going from just TBS and HBO, to far more channels being on satellites.

Indy had up to 41 channels in 1980.

de reg was about what de reg is always about.

as for obesity, that has always been a problem, but is far more a problem now due to food now being too good, too cheap, and too easy to get.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
People eat too much food. I slashed my intake by half March 1st. Cut out all added sugar. I’m never hungry and I’m down to roughly 190 now. 10 more to go. I feel like I’m 18 again. It’s not rocket science. I still watch a lot of TV. But it’s the intake!!!
Sadly true. Four Oreos is damn near a three mile run.

Reactions: BCCHoosier and 76-1
Used to be you had to be sitting at a keyboard to fvck off on the Internet when you were supposed to be doing something productive. Now you can do it any time, anywhere.
Oh don’t you worry. I still do it the old fashioned way too

Oh don’t you worry. I still do it the old fashioned way too

Retiring from my mostly desk job and doing the delivery driving thing has cut out nearly all of my daytime Internet time wasting. I'll check in from time to time, but it's not like I have an open tab I can always look at while driving down Walnut Street.

Reactions: larsIU
Sadly true. Four Oreos is damn near a three mile run.
Hell, in that case I should be doing daily marathons.

I'm scrawny and can eat junk food all day long and not gain an ounce. My wife won't buy my junk food when she does the grocery shopping, so once every three or four weeks I go to Big Lots or Kroger and load up on cookies and chips and the like. She hates me.

Hell, in that case I should be doing daily marathons.

I'm scrawny and can eat junk food all day long and not gain an ounce. My wife won't buy my junk food when she does the grocery shopping, so once every three or four weeks I go to Big Lots or Kroger and load up on cookies and chips and the like. She hates me.
You’re a lucky, lucky man. I used to be the same. Changed about five years ago. Ive lifted weights for 35 years and where I used to stay lean I’ve gotten real bulky from it. A week of Oreos and beer and my gut explodes. Getting old sucks

You’ll live to be a hundred

Reactions: 76-1
I take it Phys Ed in schools is no longer a thing.
It’s still a thing where I live but many parents use it as the only physical activity their kids need.

It’s all parenting or the lack thereof. One of my kids’ friends is a big pudgy kid who has natural athletic ability but his parents work long hours and he’s mostly left to his own devices - literally and metaphorically. We took him golfing once and his bag was full of sugary snacks. He lost interest halfway thru hole 3. Sad.

I'm like Mr. Wonderful. My idea of roughing it is not getting a mint on my pillow.
lol. I knew all that trailer park stuff was a gag. Only when we stay in a place without semis and white pickups in the parking lot do I know we are not roughing it.

'
You’re a lucky, lucky man. I used to be the same. Changed about five years ago. Ive lifted weights for 35 years and where I used to stay lean I’ve gotten real bulky from it. A week of Oreos and beer and my gut explodes. Getting old sucks

Age, genes, and hormones control almost everything. I’ve got great A1C and lipid numbers but you wouldn’t know that by looking at me.

I rode the Little Five at IU for three years but did nothing during law school and for the first several years afterward. When the kiddos came along I remember sitting through a long boring client meeting one day frustrated with my lack of activity and thinking I needed to make a change. . Bought a bike shortly afterwards and put in thousands of miles each year for 20 years. We bought a tandem and my bride became a stoker. We both agree that riding that tandem along the Big Sur coast was the most spectacular days of our 56 years.

Still riding a bike--and a tandem. The hardest part is getting on and off. I dont go long distance but I sure am slow. Age!

A freebie from an old fart: Don’t ever stop moving.

'

Age, genes, and hormones control almost everything. I’ve got great A1C and lipid numbers but you wouldn’t know that by looking at me.

I rode the Little Five at IU for three years but did nothing during law school and for the first several years afterward. When the kiddos came along I remember sitting through a long boring client meeting one day frustrated with my lack of activity and thinking I needed to make a change. . Bought a bike shortly afterwards and put in thousands of miles each year for 20 years. We bought a tandem and my bride became a stoker. We both agree that riding that tandem along the Big Sur coast was the most spectacular days of our 56 years.

Still riding a bike--and a tandem. The hardest part is getting on and off. I dont go long distance but I sure am slow. Age!

Sound advice.

'

What is a stoker?

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
What is a stoker?
The skinny one.

Skeloton-Stoker.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66

My 6 year old son barely knows how to use the regular xfinity cable box/ remote.... other than hitting the button for live sports. Live tv with commercials and such quickly becomes a bore. But give him a fkn Roku remote w/ the YouTube app and he turns into a zombie.

Finally had to remove the YouTube app entirely from Roku, it was becoming a serious problem.

Phones/tablets are the same thing.... including with my 3 year old who can go to town on any phone. At least it's easy enough to keep those away from them at this age. Hoping by the time they are the age of getting their own phones they'll be robust limits/ locks we can place on them. Not looking forward to that day.

'

I enjoy bike riding..... but always feel I'm risking my life trying to ride anywhere around my area. Limited bike lanes and lots of traffic. Too many idiots.

Phones/tablets are the same thing.... including with my 3 year old who can go to town on any phone. At least it's easy enough to keep those away from them at this age. Hoping by the time they are the age of getting their own phones they'll be robust limits/ locks we can place on them. Not looking forward to that day.
There's stuff out there already for that. You'll be able to be as a locked down as you want.

Reactions: twenty02
I enjoy bike riding..... but always feel I'm risking my life trying to ride anywhere around my area. Limited bike lanes and lots of traffic. Too many idiots.
I may be wrong, but aren't you near any part of the Cultural Trail?
Oh, and if you are downtown, how about that traffic coming through now that the north split is closed?

I'm the same. I'm in my 40s now and I'm healthier now than I was in my 20s. 20 years ago, I ate crap and only moderately exercised. Now I eat pretty well, run between 25-30 miles a week and work out a few times a week.

I like being in shape/healthy and know that if I fall off the wagon, it isn't hard to lose it in a big way. The breaking point for me was when my 14 year old daughter was born. There is a picture of me holding my kids at my heaviest and just thinking of that photo still makes me cringe.

My vice is beer, or good beer at least. I typically don't drink beer during the week, but do like the heavier ABV content beers.

I'm the same. I'm in my 40s now and I'm healthier now than I was in my 20s. 20 years ago, I ate crap and only moderately exercised. Now I eat pretty well, run between 25-30 miles a week and work out a few times a week.

I like being in shape/healthy and know that if I fall off the wagon, it isn't hard to lose it in a big way. The breaking point for me was when my 14 year old daughter was born. There is a picture of me holding my kids at my heaviest and just thinking of that photo still makes me cringe.

My vice is beer, or good beer at least. I typically don't drink beer during the week, but do like the heavier ABV content beers.
Ditto on the beer. It’s just crazy how much more diet factors in than exercise

Traffic is always a problem. Since my move to Denver, I’m pretty much exclusively an urban rider. I’ve picked my routes pretty carefully and don’t deviate much. Since covid, the trails are pretty crowded, at least during midday. I’m mostly on streets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT