ADVERTISEMENT

Love To Have Ramsey Next Year But Maybe Not The Worst Thing

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
Like many others, I was a P. Ramsey fan & will continue to root for him. But him leaving now, allows the Spring to be a clear competition for number #2. Plus, now all the other QB's get his reps in Spring. It allows the program to move forward IMO..

He knows that he is going to leave & made the decision.

Good Luck P. Ramsey..

BB

This must be what the healing process is? :) Ramsey was awesome and we'll miss him and hope he crushes it at a school IU doesn't have to play next year. With that, he'll have a whole lot of fans in midwest cheering him on.

And yes, now IU turns the page and moves forward towards 2020 and beyond. Win/win, onward!

And I just checked and Dexter is an early enrollment it looks like. So hopefully this is a good spring for him getting some good reps. And depending where MP is in his recovery, might get 2nd team reps.

Like many others, I was a P. Ramsey fan & will continue to root for him. But him leaving now, allows the Spring to be a clear competition for number #2. Plus, now all the other QB's get his reps in Spring. It allows the program to move forward IMO..

Good Luck P. Ramsey..

BB
Good logic.

He makes great decisions even when transferring.

TomT

lipstick on a pig.

Ramsey leaving would be crushing for IU next fall, and i hope he doesn't.

i love MP's upside, but let's not kid ourselves that he got injured on freak low occurrence crushing hits that would have taken anybody out.

unless Ramsey would transfer to a lower level of competition, there are no guarantees anywhere..

nor is it remotely guaranteed that were he to stay, that he won't get significant playing time here. (or even win the starting job outright).

self serving post, yes, but hardly science fiction.

Reactions: YOTHN
Like a post from the fall said..
Penix is made of straw..
I'll be super surprised if plays the whole season.
Don't call that first rpo..

Reactions: CC Mac
i love MP's upside, but let's not kid ourselves that he got injured on freak low occurrence crushing hits that would have taken anybody out.
I'd be careful about drawing medical conclusions without medical expertise and access to the patient and/or his records.

Allen and his staff know much more about Penix's physical condition than any of us who are watching from afar. If he's as fragile as you suggest, the IU coaching staff would have designated Ramsey the 2020 starter which would have, in turn, almost certainly kept Ramsey out of the portal and in Bloomington.

Otherwise healthy young men typically recover well from orthopedic injuries and are not forever destined to be hurt. J-Shun Harris had three (3) season-ending ACL injuries and came back to have an outstanding senior season at IU, playing in all 12 games. I'm looking for Penix to do big things in 2020, and would not be surprised if he's in the Heisman discussion before he's done at IU.

I'd be careful about drawing medical conclusions without medical expertise and access to the patient and/or his records.

Allen and his staff know much more about Penix's physical condition than any of us who are watching from afar. If he's as fragile as you suggest, the IU coaching staff would have designated Ramsey the 2020 starter which would have, in turn, almost certainly kept Ramsey out of the portal and in Bloomington.

Otherwise healthy young men typically recover well from orthopedic injuries and are not forever destined to be hurt. J-Shun Harris had three (3) season-ending ACL injuries and came back to have an outstanding senior season at IU, playing in all 12 games. I'm looking for Penix to do big things in 2020, and would not be surprised if he's in the Heisman discussion before he's done at IU.

I'd add too that even if he his relatively fragile (which I don't necessarily buy), that it puts the impetus on Sheridan to protect him with play calling. Jason White won a Heisman on two awfully bad knees to the point that they stopped putting him under center. So if MP can help produce wins without the read option better than the next best can with it, they should stop the read option.

I'd add too that even if he his relatively fragile (which I don't necessarily buy), that it puts the impetus on Sheridan to protect him with play calling. Jason White won a Heisman on two awfully bad knees to the point that they stopped putting him under center. So if MP can help produce wins without the read option better than the next best can with it, they should stop the read option.

Yeah the reason MP would be able to produce without the read option better than the next man... is simply because Ramsey is now likely gone. If he wasn't gone that wouldn't be the case...bringing us back to the point in question.

Either way, I was a major proponent of Ramsey but I am first a fan of the program. Decision's were made on both ends and we move on. We shouldn't have people bashing MP and calling him a straw. That kid plays hard and although the injury bug is an obvious concern, it doesn't change the fact that he is playing his rump off just as hard as Ramsey was. It hasn't been his choice to get injured. We are here now so let's get behind MP and hope he's able to have a healthy successful season.

Yeah the reason MP would be able to produce without the read option better than the next man... is simply because Ramsey is now likely gone. If he wasn't gone that wouldn't be the case...bringing us back to the point in question.

Either way, I was a major proponent of Ramsey but I am first a fan of the program. Decision's were made on both ends and we move on. We shouldn't have people bashing MP and calling him a straw. That kid plays hard and although the injury bug is an obvious concern, it doesn't change the fact that he is playing his rump off just as hard as Ramsey was. It hasn't been his choice to get injured. We are here now so let's get behind MP and hope he's able to have a healthy successful season.
I hope they both tear it up and both play on Sundays.

Why can’t we call an RPO? I understand not calling read options, don’t understand not calling RPO.
RPOs are jus today's version of the triple option and just like that offense it puts your QB at high risk of taking big hits. It was a miracle Ramsey survived the season with the hits he took. Without the QB option the RPO can be easy to shut down but with the threat of QB run the defensive structure has to change. IU hasn't really used RPO they way they should probably due to the shaky QB situation so far.

Reactions: DANC and red hornet
lipstick on a pig.

Ramsey leaving would be crushing for IU next fall, and i hope he doesn't.

unless Ramsey would transfer to a lower level of competition, there are no guarantees anywhere..

nor is it remotely guaranteed that were he to stay, that he won't get significant playing time here. (or even win the starting job outright).

self serving post, yes, but hardly science fiction.
Too many people overlook Tuttle. I wouldn't sleep on him if it were me. While it's certainly tough to loose experienced depth, players want to play and this is PR's last year, so he should go play somewhere. IU is fine at QB.

RPOs are jus today's version of the triple option and just like that offense it puts your QB at high risk of taking big hits. It was a miracle Ramsey survived the season with the hits he took. Without the QB option the RPO can be easy to shut down but with the threat of QB run the defensive structure has to change. IU hasn't really used RPO they way they should probably due to the shaky QB situation so far.
Most RPOs are not quarterback runs. It is the read options we need to cut back on. I really don’t remember Penix running many read options and I did not think that Ramsey was great at his reads in the option game.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Good Luck P. Ramsey..

BB
I would have loved to have Ramsey back. It is time to find out what Tuttle has. We have never seen him in a meaningful situation to know if he can lead a drive.

Ramsey staying would push Tuttle playing back a year. Ramsey staying doesn't matter if Penix stays healthy.

Right, CTA said also the Peyton Hendershot would miss spring ball due to shoulder surgery post-bowl game. He should be ready in the fall[he didn't mention what the shoulder injury was, but I suspect from watching the game, it was a shoulder separation--acromio-clavicular ligament strain or tear]

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT