ADVERTISEMENT

"Lock her up!"

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
Anticlimax doesn't begin to cover it:

Last week, Congress received a brief, nine-page report from the State Department, which summarizes the department’s investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a personal email account to conduct work business while she was secretary of state.

. . . The State Department’s report reaches two broad conclusions. Clinton’s “use of a private email system to conduct official business added an increased degree of risk” that classified information would be compromised. But “there was no persuasive evidence of systemic, deliberate mishandling of classified information.”

In 2016, the State Department’s inspector general also determined that Clinton’s Republican predecessors, Secretaries Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice, also received classified information on their personal email accounts.

. . . Clinton’s use of private email was the sort of minor scandal that the public deserved to be informed about at some point during the 2016 election — after which the news cycle could move on to other, more important stories. But that sure as hell wasn’t how it was covered. Indeed, it is likely that Donald Trump is president today in part because of the press’s obsession with this very small story.

Months after the 2016 election, a team of researchers at Harvard’s Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society set out to quantify which issues received coverage — and which issues were ignored — by major media outlets during that election. To do so, they read thousands of campaign-related articles in several major outlets, and counted how many sentences were devoted to various issues. The results are striking.

As CJR later summarized this research, the Berkman Klein Center “found roughly four times as many Clinton-related sentences that described scandals as opposed to policies, whereas Trump-related sentences were one-and-a-half times as likely to be about policy as scandal.” Indeed, emails so dominated coverage that “the various Clinton-related email scandals—her use of a private email server while secretary of state, as well as the DNC and John Podesta hacks—accounted for more sentences than all of Trump’s scandals combined (65,000 vs. 40,000) and more than twice as many as were devoted to all of her policy positions.”

Meanwhile, CJR researchers Duncan J. Watts and David M. Rothschild did a deep dive into how the New York Times covered 2016, and their findings are just as stark. “Of the 1,433 articles that mentioned Trump or Clinton,” during the last 69 days of the 2016 campaign, “291 were devoted to scandals or other personal matters while only 70 mentioned policy, and of these only 60 mentioned any details of either candidate’s positions.”

One-hundred fifty of these New York Times articles, moreover, appeared on the paper’s front page. Of these, only 16 discussed policy in any way, “of which six had no details, four provided details on Trump’s policy only, one on Clinton’s policy only, and five made some comparison between the two candidates’ policies.” By contrast, the Times ran 10 front-page articles on Clinton’s emails in just six days, between October 29 and November 3.

The overarching impression created by this reporting, in other words, was that the emails were more important than all of the policy questions facing voters in 2016 — questions like whether millions of Americans would lose health care, whether the United States would bar immigrants because of their religion, and who would control the Supreme Court.

We cannot know with certainty what would have happened if news outlets did not fixate on this story during 2016. But as Tina Nguyen wrote in Vanity Fair, “you could fit all the voters who cost Clinton the election in a mid-sized football stadium.” As FiveThirtyEight’s Nate Silver wrote in 2017, “Hillary Clinton would probably be president if FBI Director James Comey had not sent a letter to Congress on Oct. 28” that reinvigorated the emails story shortly before the election.

We do know, moreover, that the obsessive coverage of Clinton’s emails shaped how voters perceived the 2016 race. In September 2016, Gallup asked voters what they recalled hearing about the two major presidential candidates. The word cloud for Trump primarily shows a mixture of immigration policy and generic campaign terms.

gallup_trump_word_cloud.png

Meanwhile, Clinton’s word cloud speaks for itself.

gallup_clinton_word_cloud.png

The press obsession with government IT security, moreover, appears to be a passing fad that ended the moment Clinton lost her shot at the White House. News broke last November, for example, that First Daughter and presidential aide Ivanka Trump “sent hundreds of emails last year to White House aides, Cabinet officials and her assistants using a personal account, many of them in violation of federal records rules.” Yet this story received only a fraction of the coverage that Clinton’s emails received.

. . . And now we have an appropriate bookend for this media-made scandal: a State Department report that finds it was no big deal in the end, published on page A16 of the New York Times.​

Maybe the Liberal Media won't screw the Democrat this time. Maybe people will learn to keep their eye on the ball. And maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt.

o0ujojz.jpg

One of the big differences in this election cycle vs. 2016 will hopefully be the less extreme coverage of Trump. In 2016 CNN and other media outlets would run entire Trump stump speeches where he's talk about Hillary Clinton's email scandal as if she were doing the devil's bidding. Then they'd double down on that by reporting on what he said in the rally they just showed in it's entirety.

Maybe hoping for more metered coverage of the trainwreck of Trump's campaign rallies is too much to ask, but when all the networks were putting him on TV that much - even if it was in a 'can you believe this crap?!' kind of way - they were letting him control the narrative.

This isn't the only reason the media was fixated on Hillary's emails - but showing him talking about them then reporting on what he said was a big reason they were at the forefront of peoples' minds.

'Lock her up!' got them eyeballs and clicks.

If HRC had consulted with Aloha and Mr. Bing about the use of her private server along with following their advice she would probably be president right now.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Anticlimax doesn't begin to cover it:

Last week, Congress received a brief, nine-page report from the State Department, which summarizes the department’s investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a personal email account to conduct work business while she was secretary of state.

. . . The State Department’s report reaches two broad conclusions. Clinton’s “use of a private email system to conduct official business added an increased degree of risk” that classified information would be compromised. But “there was no persuasive evidence of systemic, deliberate mishandling of classified information.”

In 2016, the State Department’s inspector general also determined that Clinton’s Republican predecessors, Secretaries Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice, also received classified information on their personal email accounts.

. . . Clinton’s use of private email was the sort of minor scandal that the public deserved to be informed about at some point during the 2016 election — after which the news cycle could move on to other, more important stories. But that sure as hell wasn’t how it was covered. Indeed, it is likely that Donald Trump is president today in part because of the press’s obsession with this very small story.

Months after the 2016 election, a team of researchers at Harvard’s Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society set out to quantify which issues received coverage — and which issues were ignored — by major media outlets during that election. To do so, they read thousands of campaign-related articles in several major outlets, and counted how many sentences were devoted to various issues. The results are striking.

As CJR later summarized this research, the Berkman Klein Center “found roughly four times as many Clinton-related sentences that described scandals as opposed to policies, whereas Trump-related sentences were one-and-a-half times as likely to be about policy as scandal.” Indeed, emails so dominated coverage that “the various Clinton-related email scandals—her use of a private email server while secretary of state, as well as the DNC and John Podesta hacks—accounted for more sentences than all of Trump’s scandals combined (65,000 vs. 40,000) and more than twice as many as were devoted to all of her policy positions.”

Meanwhile, CJR researchers Duncan J. Watts and David M. Rothschild did a deep dive into how the New York Times covered 2016, and their findings are just as stark. “Of the 1,433 articles that mentioned Trump or Clinton,” during the last 69 days of the 2016 campaign, “291 were devoted to scandals or other personal matters while only 70 mentioned policy, and of these only 60 mentioned any details of either candidate’s positions.”

One-hundred fifty of these New York Times articles, moreover, appeared on the paper’s front page. Of these, only 16 discussed policy in any way, “of which six had no details, four provided details on Trump’s policy only, one on Clinton’s policy only, and five made some comparison between the two candidates’ policies.” By contrast, the Times ran 10 front-page articles on Clinton’s emails in just six days, between October 29 and November 3.

The overarching impression created by this reporting, in other words, was that the emails were more important than all of the policy questions facing voters in 2016 — questions like whether millions of Americans would lose health care, whether the United States would bar immigrants because of their religion, and who would control the Supreme Court.

We cannot know with certainty what would have happened if news outlets did not fixate on this story during 2016. But as Tina Nguyen wrote in Vanity Fair, “you could fit all the voters who cost Clinton the election in a mid-sized football stadium.” As FiveThirtyEight’s Nate Silver wrote in 2017, “Hillary Clinton would probably be president if FBI Director James Comey had not sent a letter to Congress on Oct. 28” that reinvigorated the emails story shortly before the election.

We do know, moreover, that the obsessive coverage of Clinton’s emails shaped how voters perceived the 2016 race. In September 2016, Gallup asked voters what they recalled hearing about the two major presidential candidates. The word cloud for Trump primarily shows a mixture of immigration policy and generic campaign terms.

gallup_trump_word_cloud.png

Meanwhile, Clinton’s word cloud speaks for itself.

gallup_clinton_word_cloud.png

The press obsession with government IT security, moreover, appears to be a passing fad that ended the moment Clinton lost her shot at the White House. News broke last November, for example, that First Daughter and presidential aide Ivanka Trump “sent hundreds of emails last year to White House aides, Cabinet officials and her assistants using a personal account, many of them in violation of federal records rules.” Yet this story received only a fraction of the coverage that Clinton’s emails received.

. . . And now we have an appropriate bookend for this media-made scandal: a State Department report that finds it was no big deal in the end, published on page A16 of the New York Times.​
Maybe the Liberal Media won't screw the Democrat this time. Maybe people will learn to keep their eye on the ball. And maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt.

o0ujojz.jpg
It would be very difficult to find a reporter with worse understanding of the “minor scandal” or more incapable of understanding the report he’s reporting about.

His total misrepresentation of what the State IG found about how Powell and Rice handled classified information and the article he linked is disqualifying.

This is over, but it amazes me still how willfully ignorant people are about that scandal.

Reactions: Ladoga and IUJIM
It would be very difficult to find a reporter with worse understanding of the “minor scandal” or more incapable of understanding the report he’s reporting about.

His total misrepresentation of what the State IG found about how Powell and Rice handled classified information and the article he linked is disqualifying.

This is over, but it amazes me still how willfully ignorant people are about that scandal.
Have you read the report? I have. The description of its conclusions is dead on. The whole thing was much ado about fairly little, just as I’ve always said.

Have you read the report? I have. The description of its conclusions is dead on. The whole thing was much ado about fairly little, just as I’ve always said.
Yes. His description is not dead on - only what he quoted was really accurate,

Reactions: zeke4ahs
HRC was like a head coach who didn't consult her staff concerning the finer details of a particular situation.

I believe there is a lot more than one reason HRC lost. I was a lot more than the e mail scandal although the timing of Comey's second investigation was certainly huge, her lack of effort in the Midwest was a bigger factor IMHO. Also, voters never did trust her any more than they disliked Trump.

I believe there is a lot more than one reason HRC lost. I was a lot more than the e mail scandal although the timing of Comey's second investigation was certainly huge, her lack of effort in the Midwest was a bigger factor IMHO. Also, voters never did trust her any more than they disliked Trump.

...and the campaign and her fortunes turned sharply when she trotted out "deplorables". I called it at the time.

...and the campaign and her fortunes turned sharply when she trotted out "deplorables". I called it at the time.
And you were wrong. Although polls tightened at about that time, they widened again heading into October. The final tightening happened right at the very end of October.

Hmmm...what happened at the end of October? I forget.

Reactions: Digressions
And you were wrong. Although polls tightened at about that time, they widened again heading into October. The final tightening happened right at the very end of October.

No, I was right...she lost.

Deplorables was manipulated and used throughout. Just remember thinking and stating at the time that was among the most ignorant political decisions I had ever witnessed.

As you know, the same James Comey whom Trumpbots believe was part of the Deep State conspiracy to defeat Trump did in the real world tip the election to Trump.

The Comey Letter Probably Cost Clinton The Election
So why won’t the media admit as much?
By Nate Silver

Filed under The Real Story Of 2016

The Trumpbots will be as stupid and as venal and as loony as they need to be.

Reactions: Digressions
Timing is everything. HRC would take two steps forward, then three steps back. Then two steps forward, then another one back, then one step forward and two steps back. and on and on. The last Comey announcement was a three steps back moment, and she didn't have a chance to step forward again.

Reactions: NPT
Timing is everything. HRC would take two steps forward, then three steps back. Then two steps forward, then another one back, then one step forward and two steps back. and on and on. The last Comey announcement was a three steps back moment, and she didn't have a chance to step forward again.

I believed, and still do that it was over before that. Comey was bottom of the ninth but he also rallied many in the defense of Clinton which is often the result of a perceived unfair attack. We saw it recently wit Biden's curious bump.

I believed, and still do that it was over before that. Comey was bottom of the ninth but he also rallied many in the defense of Clinton which is often the result of a perceived unfair attack. We saw it recently wit Biden's curious bump.

Did you look at Nate Silver's polling data Rock linked? Sure did not look like many rallied.

Did you look at Nate Silver's polling data Rock linked? Sure did not look like many rallied.
Agreed. There was no rallying to Clinton. Her support was tepid as it was, and there wasn't enough time to recover from Comey's last revelation (his subsequent "nevermind" announcement notwithstanding).

And I believe there's a leprechaun living in my flower garden. Doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

What I ignore are frauds such as this individual and others that are waste of time.
Marvin a fraud? You can't be serious. Or maybe you meant Rock. Regarding either one, you'd be way off base.

A hoax, maybe, but never a fraud.

Marvin a fraud? You can't be serious. Or maybe you meant Rock. Regarding either one, you'd be way off base.

A hoax, maybe, but never a fraud.

No no no...Marvin is actually someone I read and agree with more than most here.

Your meltdowns over my posts are generally tied to your ox being gored. I don't ignore data, but it isn't necessarily "fact" in the context of a specific discussion. What I ignore are frauds such as this individual and others that are waste of time.

Look, I understand the mentality of folks at both ends of the spectrum...both respond remarkably similarly to anyone daring to find a fault at the home end or kudo at the other. People who approach politics the way I do are called a Trumpbot here and a Libtard there.

I am ok with that, it validates my perspective.
Again, what is this ox you speak of? If you recognize it, surely you can explain it to me.

No no no...Marvin is actually someone I read and agree with more than most here.
Then Rock is your fraud? You have him on Ignore, is that what you're trying to say?

That would be sad. Rock may be infuriating to some, but he's hardly a fraud. His value add to the discussions is high, no matter whether you agree with him or not. Unless you just can't abide his no holds barred style. No safe space here from that.

Again, what is this ox you speak of? If you recognize it, surely you can explain it to me.

Each of the opinions or observations I have brought here that have been contrary to yours. Not that difficult to grasp. Today it was Clinton's (who I voted for) gaffe. You believe the loss is on Comey, I say it was on her (Comey didn't help)

Interesting that whenever I point to something that Trumpy has actually done or attempted to do that makes sense. Folks here freak because in this world all things are absolute when it comes to politics. Someone linking an article from a non-objective source may make them feel better but doesn't make it so. You freak when I want to change the subject from impeach/investigate to candidates...you know; post-Trump...the future.

It's ok, it is how so many in this country are wired right now and will be for the foreseeable future.

Then Rock is your fraud? You have him on Ignore, is that what you're trying to say?

That would be sad. Rock may be infuriating to some, but he's hardly a fraud. His value add to the discussions is high, no matter whether you agree with him or not. Unless you just can't abide his no holds barred style. No safe space here from that.

I wasted my time going down the path of circular arguments, movable goal posts and name calling. Quasi-intellectual Fraud.

Each of the opinions or observations I have brought here that have been contrary to yours. Not that difficult to grasp. Today it was Clinton's (who I voted for) gaffe. You believe the loss is on Comey, I say it was on her (Comey didn't help)

Interesting that whenever I point to something that Trumpy has actually done or attempted to do that makes sense. Folks here freak because in this world all things are absolute when it comes to politics. Someone linking an article from a non-objective source may make them feel better but doesn't make it so. You freak when I want to change the subject from impeach/investigate to candidates...you know; post-Trump...the future.

It's ok, it is how so many in this country are wired right now and will be for the foreseeable future.

Like a 1 point basketball game, any missed shot, any blown defensive assignment, any missed blockout, any bad ref's call can be blamed. The difference in PA, WI, MI was that close. I don't know that it is possible to point to one specific "this cost her the election". Comey doesn't do his thing, she wins. She doesn't make that statement, she wins. I think it was the first debate she was off (it was one of them), that doesn't happen and she wins. If she actually looked at polling and visited WI, MI, and western PA, she wins.

Reactions: UncleMark

Wow. I knew you were full of yourself, but I didn't realize you were so arrogant that simply disagreeing with you was a sign of some sort of intellectual disability in others.

Like a 1 point basketball game, any missed shot, any blown defensive assignment, any missed blockout, any bad ref's call can be blamed. The difference in PA, WI, MI was that close. I don't know that it is possible to point to one specific "this cost her the election". Comey doesn't do his thing, she wins. She doesn't make that statement, she wins. I think it was the first debate she was off (it was one of them), that doesn't happen and she wins. If she actually looked at polling and visited WI, MI, and western PA, she wins.

Valid argument, she made some terrible decisions from a travel standpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT