5. CF Kade Kern
6. 3B Marcus Ernst
7. 2B Colton Bauer
8. LF Caden Kaiser
9. C Archer Brookman

SP: Seth Lonsway - LHP

T1:

Indiana goes 1-2-3.

Ashley struck out swinging, Murrison struck out looking and Richardson struck out swinging.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into B1 --> The game is tied 0-0.

B1:

Ohio State jumped out to an early 1-0 lead and then stranded two runners in scoring position.

Dezenzo hit a solo home run over the center-field wall with two outs to give Ohio State a 1-0 lead. Pohl then drew a two-out walk and advanced to third base after Kern singled to third base, and Barr committed a throwing error. Kern then stole second to put runners on second and third, but Ernst struck out swinging to end the inning.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into T2 --> Ohio State leads 1-0.

REMINDER: The first game of the doubleheader is slated for seven innings and the second game is slated for nine.

T2:

Indiana goes 1-2-3 again as OSU pitcher Lonsway threw an immaculate inning.

Barr struck out swinging, Toetz struck out looking and Fucci struck out swinging.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into B2 --> Ohio State leads 1-0.

We have more errors (3) than we have hits (0) right now. A pitcher comes into the game with an ERA of 5.23 and immediately strikes out the side. I'm beginning to get the feeling we are at the start of a slump, if we haven't already entered it. I hope I'm wrong. Both runs we gave up in the 2nd were unearned.

• Wow
Reactions: mk23
B2:

Ohio State extends its lead to 3-0.

Bauer led off the inning and tripled to center field over Richardson's head. Brookman then bunted down the first baseline and Fucci committed a throwing error while flipping the ball to Southern and Bauer scored. Brookman advanced to second base on the error. Okuley then hit a towering pop-up to second base with two outs and Toetz dropped the ball. Brookman scored from second base to make it a 3-0 game.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into T3 --> Ohio State leads 3-0.

We have more errors (3) than we have hits (0) right now. A pitcher comes into the game with an ERA of 5.23 and immediately strikes out the side. I'm beginning to get the feeling we are at the start of a slump, if we haven't already entered it. I hope I'm wrong. Both runs we gave up in the 2nd were unearned.
The announcers are making it seem like when Lonsway is on; he pitches exceptionally well. So he must be on today, unfortunately. However, he seems to be struggling more with command when pitching from the stretch. Hopefully, IU can put some pressure on Lonsway in the upcoming innings.

Reactions: ptrich
T3:

Indiana stranded two runners in scoring position.

Colopy led off the inning with a single to second base, the first hit of the game. Southern then struck out swinging. Macciocchi drew a one-out walk and Colopy advanced to second base. Ashley then struck out swinging. Colopy and Murrison both advanced one base on a double steal to put runners on second and third. However, Murrison struck out swinging to end the frame.

Heading into B3 --> Ohio State leads 3-0.

The announcers are making it seem like when Lonsway is on; he pitches exceptionally well. So he must be on today, unfortunately. However, he seems to be struggling more with command when pitching from the stretch. Hopefully, IU can put some pressure on Lonsway in the upcoming innings.
The first game is seven innings, so they had better not wait too late in doing something.

B3:

Ohio State goes 1-2-3.

Pohl and Kern both grounded out to third base and then Ernst struck out swinging.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into T4 --> Ohio State leads 3-0.

The first game is seven innings, so they had better not wait too late in doing something.

I 100% agree. They don't have much time. But we have seen IU rally against PSU late in the seven-inning game. We need to have better at-bats and make Lonsway work more. Have him start pitching from the stretch and put runners on. Make him more uncomfortable on the hill and disrupt his rhythm.

T4:

Richardson led off the inning and singled to left field. Barr then struck out looking and Toetz grounded out into a 4-6-3 double play to end the frame.

Heading into B4 --> Ohio State leads 3-0.

Errors are up to 4, and Toetz just committed his second one of the game. Except for the battery, everyone in the infield now has an error.

Reactions: MatthewByrne5
B4:

Ohio State extends its lead to 5-0.

Kaiser hit a ground ball to second base and reached on a fielding error by Toetz. Kaiser then moved to second after Brookman drew a one-out walk. Wilson then doubled down the left-field line and both Kaiser and Brookman came around to score.

Heading into T5 --> Ohio State leads 5-0.

I don't think Macciocchi has an error?
Yeah, you are correct on that, so I guess Toetz decided to get a second one to make up for that, if I may get a little sarcastic over how things have gone so far.

T5:

Indiana goes 1-2-3 as Lonsway struck out the side.

Fucci, Colopy, and Southern all struck out swinging.

Heading into B5 --> Ohio State leads 5-0.

Yeah, you are correct on that, so I guess Toetz decided to get a second one to make up for that, if I may get a little sarcastic over how things have gone so far.
Yes, you are, of course, allowed to be sarcastic. I too am frustrated watching the game. I know it's baseball and things fluctuate because it's a heavily mental game. However, it just sometimes makes me think, are we really a top 25 team playing sloppy baseball like this? No, I do not believe we are.

Reactions: ptrich
B5:

RHP Braydon Tucker replaced RHP McCade Brown

Ohio State extends its lead to 6-0.

Pohl led off the inning and hit a solo home run over the right-field wall to give OSU a 6-0 lead.

T6:

Macciocchi led off the inning and grounded out to third base. Ashley then reached on a throwing error by the shortstop, but both pinch hitter Whalen and Richardson struck out swinging to end the frame.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into B6 --> Ohio State leads 6-0.

Last edited:
B6:

Kaiser led off the inning and grounded out to first base and then Brookman grounded out to third base. Wilson drew a two-out walk, but Okuley flew out to right field to end the inning.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Heading into T7 --> Ohio State leads 6-0. Last chance for IU.

T7:

Indiana goes 1-2-3.

Barr struck out looking, Toetz lined out to right field and Fucci struck out looking.

Indiana loses the first game of the doubleheader 6-0.

IU struck out 17 times today in 7 innings!! I thought Sandy Koufax had used up all his eligibility!! LOL

Awful effort in game one. I don't know, but I'm beginning to think that quick start to the season had more to do with who we playing than anything else. All of a sudden we can't hit any pitcher that goes up against us, and our fielding percentage has steadily gone down after being #2 in the conference early on in that category. Maybe the fact we had trouble scoring against Purdue, a really bad team, in our series with them, was a hint of things to come. I hope I'm just overreacting to all of this.

Reactions: mk23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT