ADVERTISEMENT

Lies My Teacher Told Me

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
Audio Books are keeping me company on my walks as I'm trying to get my weight in check.

Anywho, I'm about 1/3 the way through this book now. Some of it I knew already, some I didn't. I haven't taken the time to look but I'd be interested to see if some of the same things are being taught to kids today (e.g., the first Thanksgiving) the way they were taught when the book was written and when I was a kid. To be honest, really good food for thought on things we take for granted because "everyone knows" the story when the story everyone knows happens to be more myth than fact.

Audio Books are keeping me company on my walks as I'm trying to get my weight in check.

Anywho, I'm about 1/3 the way through this book now. Some of it I knew already, some I didn't. I haven't taken the time to look but I'd be interested to see if some of the same things are being taught to kids today (e.g., the first Thanksgiving) the way they were taught when the book was written and when I was a kid. To be honest, really good food for thought on things we take for granted because "everyone knows" the story when the story everyone knows happens to be more myth than fact.
Could we find checks to write to help speed that along?

I think a lot of things get passed on easily that we don't think about on a serious note of your post.

Best truth from a teacher? My 8the grade history teacher had a bulletin board up at the start of IU basketball's 80-81 season. '' Indiana and Isiah win the NCAA championship '' Then list your picks underneath and she was right!

I realize I wasn't clear enough in the OP. "Lies My Teacher Told Me" is the title of a book.

The first couple chapters deal a lot with Columbus & the Pilgrims and how a great deal of what we "know" is pure myth.

Highly recommended.

Amazon product ASIN 0743296281

You can do anything you put your mind to.

You can be anything you want to be if you work hard enough.

Seems like we're seeing the unintended consequences of those lies today.
" You can do anything you put your mind to" should be "You'll never achieve your potential without dedicating youself"

"You can be anything you want to be if you work hard enough" should be "You can be the best version of yourself through hard work".

You can do anything you put your mind to.

You can be anything you want to be if you work hard enough.

Seems like we're seeing the unintended consequences of those lies today.
What we are seeing is the result of people ignoring those lessons.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Could we find checks to write to help speed that along?

I think a lot of things get passed on easily that we don't think about on a serious note of your post.

Best truth from a teacher? My 8the grade history teacher had a bulletin board up at the start of IU basketball's 80-81 season. '' Indiana and Isiah win the NCAA championship '' Then list your picks underneath and she was right!
One thing I remember very clearly:

5th grade social studies my teacher (who is now a school superintendent) as we got off on a tangent about something to do with history said about the center line on a road "There's nothing stopping you from crossing that line, so why don't people do it? There's no wall or spikes." This caused me to begin trying to understand what words like "society", "citizen", and "civilization" meant.

Great teacher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT