ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Play "Guess That Team!"

Bucket Getter

Senior
Apr 9, 2023
Fill in the blank....

The ___________________ lead the country in 3-point shooting (41.0%). They lead the country in effective field goal percentage (61.4%). They’re third in the country in field goal shooting overall (51.2%). And from the foul line they’re shooting 77.4%. Five of their top six players are shooting 81% or better, and the other one is still shooting 71.7%.

Reactions: achoosier
How in the hell can a brand new coach in Terre Haute, Indiana (that no one's ever heard of) find a team full of shooters in year 1 while our NBA coach (with a very solid name and pedigree) can't find a single one by year 3? Talk about surreal.
How in the hell can you not use the internet. Tell me you have never watched them without telling me.

How in the hell can a brand new coach in Terre Haute, Indiana (that no one's ever heard of) find a team full of shooters in year 1 while our NBA coach (with a very solid name and pedigree) can't find a single one by year 3? Talk about surreal.
The do play ball in TH, want me to rattle off a list of IU stars, and some pros I played against growing up there. It's long starting with Evans and Hart, hope that's not a shot at ISU, I don't think you meant it that way, but ISU being good every 7-10 years is as typical as IU being perpetually disappointing

The do play ball in TH, want me to rattle off a list of IU stars, and some pros I played against growing up there. It's long starting with Evans and Hart, hope that's not a shot at ISU, I don't think you meant it that way, but ISU being good every 7-10 years is as typical as IU being perpetually disappointing
Craig Porter Jr is getting playing time for the Cavs. Greg Oden started playing organized ball in Terre Haute (junior high) and then you have Big Clyde and Dischinger and all the rest. ISU had great Division 2 teams prior to Bird and of course had John Wooden as coach.

I understand Tommy John was a good player before he started slumming in baseball. :)

Sorry but couldn’t in good conscience forget Bobby Leonard and Harley Andrews played for IU I believe.

To be a bit fair, their leading scorer is a 5'10" guard from Castle HS who's main offer was to USI when they were D2.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Yeah, I should’ve fact-checked myself regarding the coaching tenure of whatever his name is. Point being, he’s not extremely well known, has no big-time NBA pedigree, yet his team shoots the ball like a solid INDIANA-based team should. For the life of me, I can’t understand how it’s seemingly impossible to bring a shooter to Bloomington.

Our NBA coach is more worried about star ranking instead of evaluating talent himself.
How in the hell can a brand new coach in Terre Haute, Indiana (that no one's ever heard of) find a team full of shooters in year 1 while our NBA coach (with a very solid name and pedigree) can't find a single one by year 3? Talk ab
Woody recruits off of star rankings instead of evaluating talent. There are a lot of really good shooters but it seems easier to just try to recruit Monteverde. If these player rankings are accurate then IU should be winning the big ten.

Now who’s trolling? Tell me you’re a lib without telling me you’re a lib. Same playbook.
What dufus? You just cited something about ISU that was dead wrong. You make the reading public even dumber.

Bring up politics angain and you will get the boot.

Reactions: trailrunner
Our NBA coach is more worried about star ranking instead of evaluating talent himself.

Woody recruits off of star rankings instead of evaluating talent. There are a lot of really good shooters but it seems easier to just try to recruit Monteverde. If these player rankings are accurate then IU should be winning the big ten.
Do you think we would play this badly if Self or Lloyd were running this outfit? We have good players. We do lack a true point guard and a knock down shooter. But we should be better than what we are currently seeing on the court. This situation is due to offensive philosophy and roster construction created by the coaching staff. I don’t think it will be different next year but I didn’t think Allen would be fired either.

Do you think we would play this badly if Self or Lloyd were running this outfit? We have good players. We do lack a true point guard and a knock down shooter. But we should be better than what we are currently seeing on the court. This situation is due to offensive philosophy and roster construction created by the coaching staff. I don’t think it will be different next year but I didn’t think Allen would be fired either.
We also do not play smart as well as lacking basic fundamentals

Don’t insult people. It’s called civility and respect.
I understand that perfectly. Read hundreds of my posts and you’ll see. Then go read a random 100 of you-know-who’s. Name calling and pettiness rules. Complain or even disagree and risk getting blocked. Pay attention. You’ll learn.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I understand that perfectly. Read hundreds of my posts and you’ll see. Then go read a random 100 of you-know-who’s. Name calling and pettiness rules. Complain or even disagree and risk getting blocked. Pay attention. You’ll learn.
In my opinion anyone who insults, name calls, threatens or posts religious or political dogma on a sports forum should be banned for 1 month. Second offense 2 months. For whatever reason society seems to have become uncivil towards one another and there appears to be no accountability. One last thing, GO IU!

In my opinion anyone who insults, name calls, threatens or posts religious or political dogma on a sports forum should be banned for 1 month. Second offense 2 months. For whatever reason society seems to have become uncivil towards one another and there appears to be no accountability. One last thing, GO IU!
Not sure you’d get (or want) the gig, but you should be a mod. ✌️

great post.
i was curious so I checked. Only 3 Indiana kids on the team and one assistant coach, Matt Graves from Butler fame.
For a team to shoot 41% from deep they must be well selected and well coached on offense.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Now lets talk about the income difference. One school chooses their coach off intelect and the other off of nepotism and being an alum.

That group of D2 schools they played produced some great players. Walt Frazier at SIU, Jerry Sloan at UE, and Billy Shepherd at Butler and many others were drafted.

Jerry Sloans UE team was considered arguably the best team in the country D1 included.

Last edited:
Too bad Armon Basset had so many off the court issues. He had some talent.

Reactions: kmathum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT