ADVERTISEMENT

Let the Hall sit empty. That will send the message

It was a rhetorical question, really. I think the notion that the coaches have "stopped recruiting" is preposterous. I'll need more than an alleged rumor on some other board before I'll believe it.
Woodson said he's "dealing with new stuff this year" and said "this team is different than the team we've had the last two years." Woodson said it isn't an excuse. "Listen, nobody wants to win more than Mike Woodson. The fans, I know they want to win, but nobody wants to win more than me. That's the reason why I took the job and I'm going to keep pushing these guys until we get where we need to be
I’m always leery about people who speak about themselves in the 3rd person.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Woodson said he's "dealing with new stuff this year" and said "this team is different than the team we've had the last two years." Woodson said it isn't an excuse. "Listen, nobody wants to win more than Mike Woodson. The fans, I know they want to win, but nobody wants to win more than me. That's the reason why I took the job and I'm going to keep pushing these guys until we get where we need to be
Good lord.

“I don’t recognize that program….” Truth hurts but Hummel hits the nail on the head. Woody’s had 2.5 years now to instill a culture and identity and it is still nowhere to be found. Is that going to change all of the sudden?
I love the people who say give Woodson a 4th year he totally deserves it. What exactly do they think will change next year? Is he suddenly going to instill a culture?

It’s been a long time. When I am not stressed out anxious about my own life, I worry about clients. I should have adopted this quote from Seneca 40 years ago when I started my practice. Thanks for reminding me to go back and read this again.

Seneca
Stoicism can be a way to deal with stuff that's out of your control but if everyone were content with accepting his current life situation then nothing would ever get accomplished.

If you think our fans are pissed check out Rupp Rafters after Tuesday's 17-pt. beatdown.
What would UK do if their team was in the 90s in every ranking like we are?

They demand more down there and that’s part of the reason they are much better than we are.

Reactions: BigMobe
I love the people who say give Woodson a 4th year he totally deserves it. What exactly do they think will change next year? Is he suddenly going to instill a culture?
That’s what I don’t understand. What exactly can you point to as evidence that it will get better? They are completely rolling the dice on the portal this spring. And a lot of the same folks who point to that as “nothing to worry about, they’ll get guys in the portal” use the excuse they couldn’t get a guard last spring because there weren’t any good options out there. The program just isn’t in a good place. I would like nothing better than for that to turn around, regardless of who the coach is. I just don’t see anything with this current regime that gives me any confidence they are the group to get it done. The longer you continue with that, the worse it will get.

The kindness of God is the fact He would allow His Son to be punished for the sins of the world. But there are times in the lives of believers where God will let them experience tough love by having to live with the consequences of their sin on the Earth. One thing I often say is that we can be saved from the Penalty of Sin though faith in Christ ie eternal Hell but while living on the Earth we have to desire to be saved from the Power of Sin ie impulses, sexual desires, etc.
God - Love Thy Neighbor
Devil - But Don’t Get Caught!

Reactions: VanPastorMan
That’s what I don’t understand. What exactly can you point to as evidence that it will get better? They are completely rolling the dice on the portal this spring. And a lot of the same folks who point to that as “nothing to worry about, they’ll get guys in the portal” use the excuse they couldn’t get a guard last spring because there weren’t any good options out there. The program just isn’t in a good place. I would like nothing better than for that to turn around, regardless of who the coach is. I just don’t see anything with this current regime that gives me any confidence they are the group to get it done. The longer you continue with that, the worse it will get.
It’s extremely hard to go from 90+ in all the rankings to a top-25 team. The leap we would have to make is absolutely enormous. That would require some huge catalyst/change that is going to transform us from the 90s to top-25.

Only change I can think of to go from 90s to top-25 is new leadership/coach.

And I think we want to be top-10 like the team in West Laffy has been for some time. That’s even more work from where we are now.

When you have to get tomorrow to three really good guards in the portal the competition will be fierce from top programs. There aren't really that many great players in the portal to begin with. When your whole recruiting year is riding on the portal that is not a position you want to be in, but here we are.

I don't want Queen he can't shoot and he will clog up the lane with Reneau. The best thing that can happen is Indiana keep Mgbako put him at the 4 Reneau at the 5 then McNeeley at the 3 then go get mutiple guards who can shoot in the portal.
Maybe even just two

When you have to get tomorrow to three really good guards in the portal the competition will be fierce from top programs. There aren't really that many great players in the portal to begin with. When your whole recruiting year is riding on the portal that is not a position you want to be in, but here we are.
Agree and I don’t think our style of play helps us in regards to landing guards. The only hope we might have is NIL, and if the big donors lose faith in Woodson, are they going to be willing to pony up the money to give the staff those resources?

Reactions: bailey777
Weird we struggle with guards when as a program we have a rich history of guards. IUBB is infuriating I swear.

A while back many here were talking about the portal as if it were a vending machine where you could just get the players you needed. I'm glad that people realize you can only chose from who is there and the players are the ones deciding which offer they will accept.

Would love to go back to the days of NO NIL, NO PORTALS.

Just recruit talent as freshmen and give them four/five years of Education and experience.
You can’t go back but teams can recruit talent as freshmen - as long as they have the right mindset- and develop them.

Reactions: CriticArisen
Yep, that's a good message: "when times get a little tough, quit!" Show up and cheer your team. Not like they've lost 13 in a row.
13 in a freaking row. Damn. Even after all this time, that’s still shocking. Doesn’t even seem possible.

Reactions: kkott
I don't want Queen he can't shoot and he will clog up the lane with Reneau. The best thing that can happen is Indiana keep Mgbako put him at the 4 Reneau at the 5 then McNeeley at the 3 then go get mutiple guards who can shoot in the portal.
I get what you are saying. We all want more offensive spread and spacing. But that lineup has no rim protection. Defending would be a big problem.

“I don’t recognize that program….” Truth hurts but Hummel hits the nail on the head. Woody’s had 2.5 years now to instill a culture and identity and it is still nowhere to be found. Is that going to change all of the sudden?
Building a successful culture and consistently winning in college bball today takes a special kind of coach. Obviously have to know the X’s and O’s. And how to develop players. Kids are different than even 10 yrs ago. But they will take the coaching and the tough love if the coach can win their respect. The best coaches have a magnetic personality that appeals to players. He coaches them very hard and demands discipline, but also makes them laugh. They know he cares about them. He brings in a staff that creates a family atmosphere. Everyone works really hard, but they have fun being together. The head coach is the catalyst creating this environment. They truly want to play for him.
This is why they make the big bucks.
Is that Woodson? Doesn’t seem that way from afar.

Reactions: Sobchak_Security
Building a successful culture and consistently winning in college bball today takes a special kind of coach. Obviously have to know the X’s and O’s. And how to develop players. Kids are different than even 10 yrs ago. But they will take the coaching and the tough love if the coach can win their respect. The best coaches have a magnetic personality that appeals to players. He coaches them very hard and demands discipline, but also makes them laugh. They know he cares about them. He brings in a staff that creates a family atmosphere. Everyone works really hard, but they have fun being together. The head coach is the catalyst creating this environment. They truly want to play for him.
Nil and the portal hurts culture building. Those two bring out the selfish side of players.

I get what you are saying. We all want more offensive spread and spacing. But that lineup has no rim protection. Defending would be a

Queen is not what Indiana needs Reneau and Queen would not be good together. Ware can actually shoot Queen cant. Reneau needs shooters around him he is the perfect 4-5 in college. Sparks is a decent backup and I'm sure we can add another big in the portal.

Reactions: bailey777
I do think NIL and the transfer portal are going to make building a culture incredibly hard. But, WI, PU, UCONN, UNC seem to be doing it for now. And, we have a good opportunity where even bench players like Leal can earn NIL, so that might allow us to keep even bench guys if that's their primary motivation. But, I think with those factors energy and flexibility are going to be key. Its' one of the reasons I really like Dusty May, has great energy and seems pretty quick-minded and pragmatic and I think with NIL/portal that's going to be important.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
You can’t go back but teams can recruit talent as freshmen - as long as they have the right mindset- and develop them.
Absolutely correct. Needing to quick fix gets in the way of that. Cupps falls into that category as well as Gunn and Newton but the other guys not as much

The kindness of God is the fact He would allow His Son to be punished for the sins of the world. But there are times in the lives of believers where God will let them experience tough love by having to live with the consequences of their sin on the Earth. One thing I often say is that we can be saved from the Penalty of Sin though faith in Christ ie eternal Hell but while living on the Earth we have to desire to be saved from the Power of Sin ie impulses, sexual desires, etc.
🥹 Of course, not the place for this ... but so much is riding on your use of that word "allow" as opposed to ( according to the dominant evangelical narrative) an angry God not allowing, but doing the punishing, both here and eternal. I prefer a loving God who weeps at our failures ... most noticeably our insistence on blaming/punishing/scape goating someone else, even one's own child/ren ... loving the world enough that when we do it to even God become incarnate ... that God rises from the dead and says "peace be with you." Thus validating a new and better way which God has always intended, and the God become incarnate taught. In short, less blood/punishment ... and a lot more grace and peace.

But, back to your use of "christian theology" as a basis for punishment and thus a basketball coaching analogy ... ... what we'd want to do is just pick one person, the more innocent the better, to punish for the whole team's/program's/fanbases action ....and that will make us all perform better ... if we just agree with who you/we pick to blame? Not for me, friend, I prefer building a team, doing their best, sacrificing for one another.

🥹 Of course, not the place for this ... but so much is riding on your use of that word "allow" as opposed to ( according to the dominant evangelical narrative) an angry God not allowing, but doing the punishing, both here and eternal. I prefer a loving God who weeps at our failures ... most noticeably our insistence on blaming/punishing/scape goating someone else, even one's own child/ren ... loving the world enough that when we do it to even God become incarnate ... that God rises from the dead and says "peace be with you." Thus validating a new and better way which God has always intended, and the God become incarnate taught. In short, less blood/punishment ... and a lot more grace and peace.

But, back to your use of "christian theology" as a basis for punishment and thus a basketball coaching analogy ... ... what we'd want to do is just pick one person, the more innocent the better, to punish for the whole team's/program's/fanbases action ....and that will make us all perform better ... if we just agree with who you/we pick to blame? Not for me, friend, I prefer building a team, doing their best, sacrificing for one another.
My favorite story regarding religion and basketball is when Steve Alford asked RMK if he could lead a tram prayer prior to.the start of games. Knight answered "Steve, do.you think God really gives a damn about how Indiana Basketball plays and if he did, do you think he'd actually root for a team I'm coaching?".

Pretty sure it's from Season on the Brink

Reactions: Mgdriver
If you think our fans are pissed check out Rupp Rafters after Tuesday's 17-pt. beatdown.
Do you chase ambulances, too, just to witness the carnage first hand? I bet outsiders, especially Purdue fans, continue to have a few chuckles of mockery over the posts on our free board.

Reactions: Mgdriver

My church has trees. In the forest, where I wander in the wonder, there is no law but the Law of Nature. It comes about naturally, in gradual time of evolution. The only requirement asked of me is patience. Take as much time as you need.

My first point was that tough love is the only way some people learn. Someone responded to my comment on this and linked the Spurgeon quote I have. I responded to that with how the Gospel is not about God being tough on us. God was tough on His Son. Now the Father did allow His Son to come to Earth to die for the sins of humanity. But He also sent Him ie John 3:16. Why did He send Him? It was all out of love. The question of God's love for sinners can never be made because of this act. Jesus did not come and die to somehow just show us a better way. He said in John 14:6 that He was The Way, The Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Him. To be a Christian you have to believe in what you are, a sinner condemned to death for your sin before the Father. Second, you have to believe Jesus was God's only begotten Son who Himself is eternally God. Third, you have to believe why Jesus died. It was to pay the eternal sin debt we all owe. When Jesus died in John 19:30 he said, "It Is Finished". This is the greek word tetelestai and it literally means, "Paid In Full". It is a word a land owner would write on the bill when the buyer of his property brings in his last payment. He would take the bill and write tetelestai to show the land is paid for. So our sins were fully put on Christ to be paid for meaning the eternal punishment of our sins. Now that does not close the deal for sinners. God calls us to put our faith in Him who died for us. It is what is called Saving Faith. It is not enough for Christ to die for us. We have to trust in what He did.

Reactions: Tscurlo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT