ADVERTISEMENT

Learning With Language Apps

Hoosier_Hack

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2011
Does anyone have an opinion or experience using language apps to learn a new language?

I was going to purchase a Rosetta Stone program but after reading reviews, a company called Mondly is the highest rated amongst users. Does anyone have experience with Mondly?

Here is the rating breakdown:

Mondly
Babel
Rosetta Stone

I want to learn how to read/right the language also. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Does anyone have an opinion or experience using language apps to learn a new language?

I was going to purchase a Rosetta Stone program but after reading reviews, a company called Mondly is the highest rated amongst users. Does anyone have experience with Mondly?

Here is the rating breakdown:

Mondly
Babel
Rosetta Stone

I want to learn how to read/right the language also. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Which language? Chinese?

I can read and write Korean. Tagalog I have lost from lack of use but was hoping to gain it back quickly. Chinese mainly because of their influence in the region and their desire to expand.

yes I’m interested in a few. Chinese, More Korean, and Tagalog.

Chinese -- its even fecking difficult for me. I speak the 'dialects' like 4 of them. But was taught/learnt either through osmosis or taught by my parents/grandma. (Each dialect is literally like a different language -- for example, I have a much bigger vocab in Spanish or Italian than I do in Shanghainese. I don't even know what hello is in Shanghainese.

I find Koreans a tad whiney. Like the Thai language, it requires a like of tonal inflections which as a Chinese speak seems a bit over-dramatic and redundant -- when in Chinese the tonal inflections can actual mean the difference between buying and selling.

I think Chinese would be interesting but would require commitment. To be conversational in the English language I think you require like 900 hours of practice. In Chinese, I think its is said that you will need like 2,200hrs for Chinese.

The first thing that will be difficult will be the tones and inflections. Different dialects groups have a different number of tones -- some have six like Cantonese whilst Mandarin has only four. My mother tongue has Six tones. It will take a while to hear these tones.

Writing Chinese will be your easiest part to adopt. The history behind the calligraphy will be an interesting area to explore too. (It has 5,500 years of recorded history.)There is a strong connection behind calligraphy and the martial arts besides being pictographic in their origins, less so with the modern 'simplified' Chinese language.

If you are seeking a challenge in life, this would be it.

Chinese -- its even fecking difficult for me. I speak the 'dialects' like 4 of them. But was taught/learnt either through osmosis or taught by my parents/grandma. (Each dialect is literally like a different language -- for example, I have a much bigger vocab in Spanish or Italian than I do in Shanghainese. I don't even know what hello is in Shanghainese.

I find Koreans a tad whiney. Like the Thai language, it requires a like of tonal inflections which as a Chinese speak seems a bit over-dramatic and redundant -- when in Chinese the tonal inflections can actual mean the difference between buying and selling.

I think Chinese would be interesting but would require commitment. To be conversational in the English language I think you require like 900 hours of practice. In Chinese, I think its is said that you will need like 2,200hrs for Chinese.

The first thing that will be difficult will be the tones and inflections. Different dialects groups have a different number of tones -- some have six like Cantonese whilst Mandarin has only four. My mother tongue has Six tones. It will take a while to hear these tones.

Writing Chinese will be your easiest part to adopt. The history behind the calligraphy will be an interesting area to explore too. (It has 5,500 years of recorded history.)There is a strong connection behind calligraphy and the martial arts besides being pictographic in their origins, less so with the modern 'simplified' Chinese language.

If you are seeking a challenge in life, this would be it.

my wife studied Chinese while in school in Korea. That is my take also on Chinese with inflections/tone changes the meaning. I took German in college and your typical exploratory courses in high school. I took a year of Spanish in High School. I’m not the greatest learner of language but Korean was the easiest for me. The alphabet was simple and the reading is simple. People have a hard time understanding that you can read what something says but you may not know what it means because the vocabulary hasn’t been built.

Did you use any of these programs or know of friends that have? I always thought Rosetta was the go to program but Modley is rated slightly higher so I was hoping to get some feedback.

Did you use any of these programs or know of friends that have? I always thought Rosetta was the go to program but Modley is rated slightly higher so I was hoping to get some feedback.

For Chinese -- mandarin? Its spoken here everywhere. So no need for any apps unless you are some expat wife who wants to assimilate better.
You have my respect for attempting it.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
For Chinese -- mandarin? Its spoken here everywhere. So no need for any apps unless you are some expat wife who wants to assimilate better.
You have my respect for attempting it.
Something to do.... I’d really like to do my own translating but that is a huge undertaking for Chinese

Reactions: sglowrider
The best apps for learning foreign languages for me were LinguaLeo - from zero to pro and Duolingo - improving skills.

The best apps for learning foreign languages for me were LinguaLeo - from zero to pro and Duolingo - improving skills.
Solid post. Have you weighed in on the transgenders in sports thread yet?

"The best apps for learning foreign languages for me were LinguaLeo - from zero to pro and Duolingo - improving skills. But then I bought a Spanish dictionary on Amazon and realized that everything was well thought out here. What I like here is that there is research on frequency.
That is, not all words are created equal. But some words are used more often than others, so they are more valuable to know. The secret to mastering a language quickly is learning the right vocabulary. If anyone is interested, I bought it here Amazon product ASIN 9492637200 When I was traveling, it was convenient to use the dictionary, and I didn't worry about the phone battery running out somewhere all of a sudden."

"The best apps for learning foreign languages for me were LinguaLeo - from zero to pro and Duolingo - improving skills. But then I bought a Spanish dictionary on Amazon and realized that everything was well thought out here. What I like here is that there is research on frequency.
That is, not all words are created equal. But some words are used more often than others, so they are more valuable to know. The secret to mastering a language quickly is learning the right vocabulary. If anyone is interested, I bought it here When I was traveling, it was convenient to use the dictionary, and I didn't worry about the phone battery running out somewhere all of a sudden."
What's your take on Omicron?

Learning a new language can be quite the adventure, right? I remember diving into Spanish with language apps during a trip to South America.
Regarding Mondly, heard some good buzz about it but haven't tried it myself. It's always helpful to hear firsthand experiences, so thanks for reaching out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT