ADVERTISEMENT

Latimer: Trump turning us into 3rd world banana republic

twenty02

Hall of Famer
Jan 28, 2011
Today we take another step forward towards totalitarianism, as the US Congress is totally usurped by a wanna-be dictator. If the courts don't block this action....or the Congress itself (via a veto-proof resolution of disapproval....yeah right).....we are another step towards being finished as representative republic.

The notion that a president of the United States can simply circumvent the national legislature out of pique, declare something that has been going on for years as an “emergency,” and then implement policies our elected representatives did not vote for, allocate money for or in any other way authorize is totally antithetical to representative democracy and the checks and balances system. If Trump is correct constitutionally, which he isn’t, then what did the Founders create a Congress for in the first place? I’d like to think that the Supreme Court will call a stop to this nonsense in a 9-0 decision, as they did in 1974 when they forced the executive branch to turn over to Congress tapes of President Richard Nixon’s private conversations. Unfortunately, I’ve lost so much faith in conservatives’ ability to draw any red line against Trump that I find it easy to believe that the conservative majority of the court will go along with this, anyway. As a result, Congress will no longer matter. As a result, the Supreme Court will no longer matter, either.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/a...er-precedent-225055?__twitter_impression=true

Interesting that Pelosi stood toe-to-toe against Trump, McConnell folded like a cheap suit. The GOP will never muster enough votes to get the override to a vote.

Which means on Jan 20, 2021 a Den will make AGW a national emergency. And whomever that Den is should name it the Trump-McConnell Act.

I hope he is told to stand down on this or is forced to stand down on it. If it becomes a matter where one side can do this, we'll eventually be reduced to open fighting against each other and/or the government. I would not accept a National Emergency decree on AGW anymore than I expect the Democrats to accept one on this. This is a path to destruction.

Today we take another step forward towards totalitarianism, as the US Congress is totally usurped by a wanna-be dictator. If the courts don't block this action....or the Congress itself (via a veto-proof resolution of disapproval....yeah right).....we are another step towards being finished as representative republic.

The notion that a president of the United States can simply circumvent the national legislature out of pique, declare something that has been going on for years as an “emergency,” and then implement policies our elected representatives did not vote for, allocate money for or in any other way authorize is totally antithetical to representative democracy and the checks and balances system. If Trump is correct constitutionally, which he isn’t, then what did the Founders create a Congress for in the first place? I’d like to think that the Supreme Court will call a stop to this nonsense in a 9-0 decision, as they did in 1974 when they forced the executive branch to turn over to Congress tapes of President Richard Nixon’s private conversations. Unfortunately, I’ve lost so much faith in conservatives’ ability to draw any red line against Trump that I find it easy to believe that the conservative majority of the court will go along with this, anyway. As a result, Congress will no longer matter. As a result, the Supreme Court will no longer matter, either.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/a...er-precedent-225055?__twitter_impression=true

I think the emergency declaration is legally and politically on thin ice but I don’t see it as a threat to the republic. That notion is way over the top. I can list a dozen or more other things that are a bigger threat and are going as I write this. FWIW, the last time I recall SCOTUS going 9-0 is when it rejected Trump’s predecessor’s decision about when the senate was in recess. Executive overreach is a fact of life in our system and we survive just fine.

Moreover, I’m a little tired of hearing about congress being the epicenter of our republic. It wasn’t that long ago when POTUS was issuing congress to-do lists and threatening a pen and phone if congress didn’t comply with his commands. Nobody got their undies in a bundle over that. Congress’s approval rating languishes around 20% for good reason.

I think the emergency declaration is legally and politically on thin ice but I don’t see it as a threat to the republic. That notion is way over the top. I can list a dozen or more other things that are a bigger threat and are going as I write this. FWIW, the last time I recall SCOTUS going 9-0 is when it rejected Trump’s predecessor’s decision about when the senate was in recess. Executive overreach is a fact of life in our system and we survive just fine.

Moreover, I’m a little tired of hearing about congress being the epicenter of our republic. It wasn’t that long ago when POTUS was issuing congress to-do lists and threatening a pen and phone if congress didn’t comply with his commands. Nobody got their undies in a bundle over that. Congress’s approval rating languishes around 20% for good reason.

Congress has been inept for a very long time. But that's no reason to dismiss article 1 of the constitution. Yes, we will survive just fine....assuming the SCOTUS firmly rejects this brazen overreach. That's kind of the point of the piece, the author doesn't seem to have confidence that they will.

Moreover, I’m a little tired of hearing about congress being the epicenter of our republic. It wasn’t that long ago when POTUS was issuing congress to-do lists and threatening a pen and phone if congress didn’t comply with his commands. Nobody got their undies in a bundle over that.

I was not a fan of the pen and phone. Quite a few Republicans were not fans. It is Congress's fault, but I think an ever increasing imperial President is very much an issue no matter which party is doing it.

Trump declared an "emergency" at the Southern border at a time when border crossings are at a 50-year low. He did so at the same ceremony where he announced that he was signing legislation that denied him funding to do what he says he's doing anyway. In shambolic and often delusional remarks, he said he didn't need to declare an emergency and only did so because he wanted to build the wall faster. This is nonsense on stilts.

If there's an emergency here it's entirely a political one. Trump's advisers concocted The Wall as a slogan to remind Trump he needed to rile up the rubes with racist lies about immigration. The rubes loved this, it turned out, so now Trump thinks he has to make good on something he can call The Wall. This is probably wrong too. Yes, he's lost Ann Coulter, who's turned her acid tongue on him, but the rubes are still with him, and they will believe anything. (The smartest thing Trump has ever said: "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters, okay?") Thus it was entirely unnecessary to provoke another stupid crisis by declaring a phony emergency -- which will reportedly include taking money away from actual drug interdiction programs.

Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a stupid person's notion of a smart person, and a rube's idea of a President. He's concocted a phony emergency to address a probably nonexistent political problem over a stupid slogan. If we're lucky, this won't do irreparable harm to our institutions.

Again, 63 million Americans thought this would be a good idea, and almost 90 percent of Republicans still do. We are not very bright, it turns out.

[Edit: typo.]

Last edited:
Conservative legal scholar Jack Goldsmith argues that Trump's "emergency" isn't as different from his predecessors' "emergencies" as we might think. I think Goldsmith's view is too sanguine and that he gives too little attention to Trump repurposing Congressional appropriations. But even Goldsmith thinks that what Trump's doing is corrosive and wrong:

Trump is not by a mile the first president to invoke executive power aggressively for political purposes. But he might be the first plausibly to be seen to exercise emergency powers openly for political purposes. In this regard, as in many regards, Trump is undisciplined in his lack of hypocrisy.

. . . This is a counterintuitive idea. Many people see Trump as hypocritical since he often says one thing and does another (including things that he criticized his predecessor for). But he is profoundly not hypocritical in this sense: As in his border wall announcement, he is often guileless in asserting power, and doesn't try to hide the tension between his political aims and his asserted constitutional justifications. This is one of Trump’s most remarkable and persistent norm violations. “The clearest evidence of the stability of our values over time is the unchanging character of the lies … statesmen tell,” Michael Walzer famously noted. “They lie in order to justify themselves, and so they describe for us the lineaments of justice. Wherever we find hypocrisy we find moral justice.” Walzer might have added that when we see in our statesmen an absence of hypocrisy in a contested context where principle normally matters, an absence of moral justice creeps in.

Trump’s lack of hypocrisy in the current context is harmful for at least two reasons.

First, it will hurt him in court. His acknowledgement that his emergency is not “real,” and his openly political motivations, will make it harder for judges—and especially the Supreme Court justices whom he said during the press conference he hopes would rule his way—to uphold his order. This is so in part for doctrinal reasons: The president’s integrity and truthfulness, and the possibility that he is acting pretextually based on an illicit motive, will be front and center in this litigation. And it is so in part for what might be called political or atmospheric reasons. Courts don’t like to be seen as pawns asked to indulge obvious fictions in the exercise of executive power in controversial contexts. But that is the situation the courts are now in.

. . . The second reason Trump’s actions are harmful is that the broader legitimacy of the presidency that wields such vast powers over so many lives depends on presidents who present and exercise those powers with at least a modicum of decorum, modesty and attention to rule-of-law values. As I have argued in two books, one of the great mistakes of the George W. Bush presidency was the tendency to act on the basis of an open desire to expand presidential powers—something most of the main players, including President Bush, later regretted. Trump’s performances make the performances of the Article II chest-thumpers in the Bush administration seem restrained by comparison. To be clear, the Bush team invoked Article II powers in substance much more aggressively than Trump. But their public rhetoric, while damaging to the presidency, was not, I think, as damaging as the impact of Trump’s openly politically self-regarding rhetoric. This is a hard thing to prove or even know for sure. But it is not necessary to decide whether the Bush or Trump rhetorical strategy was worse to know that Trump’s corrodes the presidency.

Trump’s utter lack of hypocrisy in the aggressive exercise of presidential power is a clarifying moment for the nation. His inability to withhold his private motivations, combined with his willingness to push the presidential envelope in controversial ways, combined with his unsteady grasp of his office and worrisome judgment in wielding his massive powers, has shined the brightest of lights on how much power Congress has given away, and how much extraordinary power and discretion presidents have amassed. After Trump, and due to him, there will be a serious reckoning with this constitutional arrangement like no time since the 1970s, and possibly ever in American history. Whether the Congress and the nation can do anything about it is another matter. I have my doubts.​

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT