ADVERTISEMENT

LATE OBSERVATIONS ON OSU GAME

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
Had a computer issue over the weekend, so my comments are later than usual. Obviously Ohio State is a great team and maybe the best team in the Country, BUT

1. What on earth was Ryan Day thinking at the start of the fourth quarter? Your team is up 49-7, your top two running backs are injured but You leave CJ Stroud and Marvin Harrison on the field to play about half of the fourth quarter. What sense does that make? All You are doing is tempting fate and inviting an injury to one or both of them. Try playing Michigan two weeks from now without one or both of them. You jeopardized your School's chance to get to the playoff and compete for the national Championship by leaving them in.
A Second issue is the message You are sending to the backups. They are thinking You can't trust Us to play with a 6 TD lead and fifteen minutes to play? But You want Us to go back to practice Monday and give maximum effort running Scout Team stuff to prepare the Starters?

2. The Officiating wasn't a factor in the game, but I have a comment about consistency from Game to Game. WE all remember the Devon Matthews taunting penalty from the Michigan Game. It was the correct call. In the Ohio State Game, one of their DB's sacked our Quarterback, got up and while still on our side of the line of scrimmage and facing the point of the play, brought his hands up to the side of his head like a pillow, moved his head to his hands and shut his Eyes, I guess indicating He rocked our QB to sleep. Why wasn't that called taunting, or at the very least a general Unsportsmanlike Penalty?

The Celebration after Ohio State's last touchdown went on for several minutes on the field an d held up play for an unreasonable period of time. That should have earned a Flag.

Good point about the OSU player after his sack and I thought when it happened where is the taunting call. There were numerous holding calls missed but when you are #2 in the country that happens.

There wasn't any way this Hoosier team was going to beat OSU, so the lack of calls were just nuisances.

If you also noticed they were still throwing the ball after we scored our second TD. It looked like they were trying to cover the spread or maybe playing for style points due to the poor performance from the NW game.
Oops, we just sent the house and my 4th string walk-ons just broke your Heisman hopeful QB's collarbone. I know CTA is above anything like that but it might be tempting for some Coach to try that and end the "run up the score" crap. To me it is poor sportsmanship but it is up to the team to show some pride and play hard until the final whistle to keep from being too embarrassed.

The Celebration after Ohio State's last touchdown went on for several minutes on the field an d held up play for an unreasonable period of time. That should have earned a Flag.
I'll give them a break on that one.

Fifth year senior who was a five star recruit. Has had three or four knee injuries and hasn't played much in his career. Entire team and fans were happy for the kid.

Celebration was warranted.

Had a computer issue over the weekend, so my comments are later than usual. Obviously Ohio State is a great team and maybe the best team in the Country, BUT

1. What on earth was Ryan Day thinking at the start of the fourth quarter? Your team is up 49-7, your top two running backs are injured but You leave CJ Stroud and Marvin Harrison on the field to play about half of the fourth quarter. What sense does that make? All You are doing is tempting fate and inviting an injury to one or both of them. Try playing Michigan two weeks from now without one or both of them. You jeopardized your School's chance to get to the playoff and compete for the national Championship by leaving them in.
A Second issue is the message You are sending to the backups. They are thinking You can't trust Us to play with a 6 TD lead and fifteen minutes to play? But You want Us to go back to practice Monday and give maximum effort running Scout Team stuff to prepare the Starters?

2. The Officiating wasn't a factor in the game, but I have a comment about consistency from Game to Game. WE all remember the Devon Matthews taunting penalty from the Michigan Game. It was the correct call. In the Ohio State Game, one of their DB's sacked our Quarterback, got up and while still on our side of the line of scrimmage and facing the point of the play, brought his hands up to the side of his head like a pillow, moved his head to his hands and shut his Eyes, I guess indicating He rocked our QB to sleep. Why wasn't that called taunting, or at the very least a general Unsportsmanlike Penalty?

I was pretty sure that last TD did earn a flag

Reactions: vesuvius13

Play by play on iuhoosiers.com says they got a delay of game penalty for the celebration

Good teams don't get those penalties called on them. Those calls only go against teams who are disrupting the order in college football.

To beat the "good" teams in college football you have to be better than both the other team and the officials aiding the other team. There is an implicit bias in several of these games that officials have of who "should" win, and when that doesn't happen, flags start flying because they must not be calling something. It's why top teams are able to allow their corners to play so physical with the other team's receivers - when a good team does it it's "good defense", when a bad team does it it's pass interference..

Was watching the Syracuse-Clemson game this year and that game was 100% determined by officials giving Clemson a call but not Syracuse.

It probably was tempting fate a bit but considering I don’t think Stroud was touched all game I’m certain that Day was okay with the gamble. I also believe it was two fold. Stroud is a Heisman candidate and with the conditions the previous week they wanted to “pad their stats”. I also believe it was all done for Babb. He is still injured and doesn’t travel with the team. This was probably his last chance to get into a game.

I had no problem with the celebration and in fact that was exactly what CFB should be about. Good stuff on a bad day.

The reason for the "wild" celebration on their last TD was because it was set up to give Kam Babb - a former 4-5 star recruit - a chance for his 1st career CF catch at OSU. The kid has had 4 ACL surgeries - one in his final year of HS and 3 at OSU. He is probably the most popular OSU player - among his current and former teammates - of the last decade. The kid worked his butt off during his stay at OSU. Even former players like Olave, Garrett Wilson, Chase Young, Justin Fields, Nick Bosa and on and on - texted-contacted him with congrats after the game.

The uniform "0" (or block O) is given every year to an OSU player that has courage and mostly high character. It was given to Kam Babb this year even though he never plays because of his health. Go back and watch the rerun of the game and notice that the OSU player who caught the final TD wore "O". Babb was also voted team captain by his fellow players

I'm pretty sure Ryan Day told Coach Allen after the game what went on as it looked like they were friendly after the game. In no way was OSU trying to rub it in Indiana's face with more points. It was Babb's final home game as he obviously won't get in against Michigan

Last edited:
Good point about the OSU player after his sack and I thought when it happened where is the taunting call. There were numerous holding calls missed but when you are #2 in the country that happens.

There wasn't any way this Hoosier team was going to beat OSU, so the lack of calls were just nuisances.
There is holding on every play in football, the thing is you just want them to call it evenly and the same the whole game, which I think they did.

There is holding on every play in football, the thing is you just want them to call it evenly and the same the whole game, which I think they did.
There is holding and then there is HOLDING. According to the rules you can hold as long as you keep your hands inside and don't extend your arms while having hold of the jersey of the opponent. I used to coach my high school OL that if they didn't hold every play they weren't blocking. Then I would work with them explaining what a holding penalty is based on and what a good block while holding is.

I agree officials could call holding every play but still say they were letting OSU get away with clear holding penalties on the sweeps outside the TE/OT.

There is holding and then there is HOLDING. According to the rules you can hold as long as you keep your hands inside and don't extend your arms while having hold of the jersey of the opponent. I used to coach my high school OL that if they didn't hold every play they weren't blocking. Then I would work with them explaining what a holding penalty is based on and what a good block while holding is.

I agree officials could call holding every play but still say they were letting OSU get away with clear holding penalties on the sweeps outside the TE/OT.
IU got away with clear holding on #44 almost every play and on WRs as well. It happens.

The rules don’t permit holding if you keep your hands within the opponent’s frame. Its just harder for officials to detect. But it’s still against the rules.

The rules don’t permit holding if you keep your hands within the opponent’s frame. Its just harder for officials to detect. But it’s still against the rules.
Hence, why I told my OL if they weren't holding, they were blocking. It's against the rules but if it is kept in close to the body officials don't see it or call it.

Hence, why I told my OL if they weren't holding, they were blocking. It's against the rules but if it is kept in close to the body officials don't see it or call it.
“According to the rules you can hold as long as you keep your hands inside and don't extend your arms while having hold of the jersey of the opponent.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT