ADVERTISEMENT

Lander in the portal*

I know there has been a lot of conjecture about TJD. But it would be astonishing to me if he returns. And with Race and Parker talking at senior night, also would shock me. Lander makes 4 in my mind.

Kopp leaving wouldn’t surprise me. That’d be 5.

X, Durr, and/or Jordan I could see leaving. But I doubt it with any of them.

Anyone other than that would surprise me quite a bit.

So my guess is 5-6 leave. And on top of the 3 frosh already coming in, we’ll get 2-3 more from Thiero, Renuea, Sparks, and/or from the ever growing list of portal kids.
If both TJD and Race stay (which is unlikely), then Durr has a decision to make. Durr probably isn't excited about transferring yet again but I am sure he wants to play like everyone else.

I want him to be successful, but that wont be here on this level. I wish him nothing but the best.

I wish him the best. His offense is going to really need to click to make up for his lack of defense.

For me, I’d really only be disappointed/shocked if XJ, Bates, Galloway, and Geronimo transferred; I fully understand TJD wanting to leave for the NBA and don’t put him into that category. I think everyone else is expendable and could at least be replicated, if not upgraded in the portal.

We all knew there had to be at least three roster moves to make way for the incoming freshmen and Lander’s speculation has been at the top of the list for the longest time. This shouldn’t shock anybody.

Lander was not ready for D1. It is not just the extra year of HS, it is the travel clubs, camps, weight training and even another year of academic prep that is missed. There have been other reclass recruits that proved not ready. IU has some good guards coming in. This is good for him. Team needs a front line player as noted. Good luck to him and hope his IU experience prepared him well. BTown is a great place and he can RS a year and still play a lot of college ball
KL is immediately eligible, wherever he goes. Zero chance he redshirts.

If both TJD and Race stay (which is unlikely), then Durr has a decision to make. Durr probably isn't excited about transferring yet again but I am sure he wants to play like everyone else.

The fact that Durr would need to sit out a year is a large deterrent to transferring to another college program, especially given that he's already 23 years old. It's hard to imagine that he has a future in Europe, though I could be wrong, he does have size and a decent midrange game.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Who are the other 3?
I 'm not saying this is anything but speculation, but the writing seems on the wall for Kopp, Phinesee[although he seems to be Woody's pet project], and Stewart. None of the 3 were productive but in a few games. All had experience too. These are my surmises. I think Johnson will stay. Race might leave, don't know how he feels. I don't see Durr going. I don't know why some are haters of Duncomb, he was a freshman. Galloway, Leal, Bates, Geronimo all stay I think. TJD, I think he's a second rounder at best. He has to know he needs to develop that 15' shot and more consistency down low. Unless 4 leave, IU has little options of adding anyone and they need a scorer/rebounder down low. I hope Hood -Shifino can come in and play like the big guard that played at Syracuse when they beat IU years ago. Unless the guards improve on shooting, IU is still gonna be hurting. The next month or so should be interesting.

Last edited:
Lander will be at MVC level or higher. He is a lot better player than he showed at IU. Louisville?
No. No offense to the man. But he is not a high major. At least not now. Valpo, southern Illinois, maybe a mac school like Western Michigan.

And if he works hard he could be a great player. One that gets high major looks. Pro looks even. He has alot of upside. Just hasn't clicked for some reason.

Anyway. I hope he does great wherever he lands.

There are those that will make their own decisions and those that are given their reality in the season end 1:1 with coaches.

Lander is a good kid but I am sure Woody told him the truth about his future here and he wants to play. I don't blame him.
Should IU be recruiting good kids, or are we recruiting basketball players ?

For me, I’d really only be disappointed/shocked if XJ, Bates, Galloway, and Geronimo transferred; I fully understand TJD wanting to leave for the NBA and don’t put him into that category. I think everyone else is expendable and could at least be replicated, if not upgraded in the portal.

We all knew there had to be at least three roster moves to make way for the incoming freshmen and Lander’s speculation has been at the top of the list for the longest time. This shouldn’t shock anybody.
I'm not completely happy that Lander wants out. He will go somewhere and play pro at some level, there's just too much talent there. I'm more than happy to let Leal, Durr, Kopp, Stewart, Phin walk. I'd keep Galloway, with the expectation that he's a role player and limited minutes

I 'm not saying this is anything but speculation, but the writing seems on the wall for Kopp, Phinesee[although he seems to be Woody's pet project], and Stewart. None of the 3 were productive but in a few games. All had experience too. These are my surmises. I think Johnson will stay. Race might leave, don't know how he feels. I don't see Durr going. I don't know why some are haters of Duncomb, he was a freshman. Galloway, Leal, Bates, Geronimo all stay I think. TJD, I think he's a second rounder at best. He has to know he needs to develop that 15' shot and more consistency down low. Unless 4 leave, IU has little options of adding anyone and they need a scorer/rebounder down low. I hope Hood -Shifino can come in and play like the big guard that played at Syracuse when they beat IU did years ago. Unless the guards improve on shooting, IU is still gonna be hurting. The next month or so should be interesting.
Is there any reason why Woodson cant just tell Durr thanks but we are moving in a different direction? I mean he is 23 already and is he really going to improve enough to play heavy minutes next year. Or do we still have the Freddy Glass bill or rights deal where you could basically not boot a guy. I mean maybe it us Woodsons decision and not Durrs.

Like I just said about Durr people say they dont see him leaving. Why is it up to him solely? Woodson needs a winning team not a participation medal.

Most are both, that's why I don't get this f'n fascination on here that we will be good next year through the new technology of the "portal" that will go away soon. Just keep our recruits, take our lumps and get better at recruiting talent with character. If you are in the portal, it means you have issues or baggage, that's not a good way to build. I don't care if Jerry Tarkanian or Chris Beard can play fire with that every year and win more than they should have, but it's not strategic program building and definitely not building a culture.

Duke has a culture, UK, as much as you might not like Cal, has a culture. UNC has a culture. UCLA has a culture, they lost theirs too for a couple years, but fixed in like 2 years, not 13. In a way, as much as I don't like the look of the earlier suspensions and Fife and Lander jumping ship, it could be for the best.

To attract talent you need winning and culture and fit. I don't know whether he'll succeed, but at least I feel Woodson is trying to do just that. There was a PU guy on here earlier that mentioned just the same. Gulp, I think he was right, I think its a clear message that Woodson is cleaning house towards success regardless

Last edited:
If you are in the portal, it means you have issues or baggage, that's not a good way to build.

Says who? You?

A kid shouldn’t be able to explore another opportunity if his coach leaves or gets fired? That means he has baggage or issues?

TF is the matter with you?

I hate it for Khristian and for IU that things did not work out. Khristian seems like a terrific young man. I'm glad he chose IU and I wish him nothing but the best moving forward. Sure hope he doesn't end up at Nebraska or Rutgers and come back to SSAH to put 30 on the Hoosiers in a couple of years.

Says who? You?

A kid shouldn’t be able to explore another opportunity if his coach leaves or gets fired? That means he has baggage or issues?

TF is the matter with you?
That's rarely the reason why. If you don't have personal/family reasons for leaving what you committed to or just endless recruited over and lack PT then there's no reason to be there (the portal). So what's left is problems, didn't like the school, coach, teammates, not good enough to be there. We get the problems, especially when we are no good.

And yeah, I f'n said it. I don't pull punches on telling the truth

Last edited:
That's rarely the reason why. If you don't have personal/family reasons for leaving what you committed to or just endless recruited over and lack PT then there's no reason to be there. So what's left is problems, didn't like the school, coach, teammates, not good enough to be there. We get the problems, especially when we are no good.

Not even worth a response really.

You’re just so out of touch with reality it hurts.

Reactions: brebelle3
I hate it for Khristian and for IU that things did not work out. Khristian seems like a terrific young man. I'm glad he chose IU and I wish him nothing but the best moving forward. Sure hope he doesn't end up at Nebraska or Rutgers and come back to SSAH to put 30 on the Hoosiers in a couple of years.
Khristian scored 38 points all year. He probably would have had a couple more points if he was not suspended against Northwestern.

Not even worth a response really.

You’re just so out of touch with reality it hurts.
No, you're out of reality. If you don't have personal or playing time issues to be in the portal, then you got a problem with sticking to what you committed to and its usually a bad reason. That's not a way to build a team. The "portal", for as long as it lasts!, is a way to patch holes for a run on a good team, and the players that are available there for exactly that purpose are eaten up by the good teams

No, you're out of reality. If you don't have personal or playing time issues to be in the portal, then you got a problem with sticking to what you committed to and its usually a bad reason. That's not a way to build a team. The "portal", for as long as it lasts!, is a way to patch holes for a run on a good team, and the players that are available there for exactly that purpose are eaten up by the good teams

Again, says who? You? The portal is going nowhere and is here to stay. Either utilize it to your advantage or get left in the dust.

Reactions: brianiu
No surprise here. He couldn’t crack the rotation. He showed some solid improvement, but I doubt he would have been viable for starting time next year anyway. Wish him the best. He seems like a good kid.

Again, says who? You? The portal is going nowhere and is here to stay. Either utilize it to your advantage or get left in the dust.
Me, and any person with a brain. The portal is going somewhere called the way of the Dodo and probably soon, it not a program building thing, think potholes

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Me, and any person with a brain. The portal is going somewhere called the way of the Dodo and probably soon, it not a program building thing, think potholes

There’s 10 (out of 16 remaining teams) still playing basketball today who are laughing at your sentiments towards the portal.

There’s 10 (out of 16 remaining teams) still playing basketball today who are laughing at your sentiments towards the portal.
Laugh all you want, there was a day, when you were probably not born, but when we knew we were going to win and it was a big deal if we ever lost. It is still a very big deal to those that are old enough to remember greatness to ever lose. BTW, I'm just 50, but that attitude has stuck with me since 6, there needs to be always a winning all expectation.

Laugh all you want, there was I day, when you were probably not born, but when we knew we were going to win and it was a big deal if we ever lost. It is still a very big deal to those that are old enough to remember greatness to ever lose. BTW, I'm just 50, but that attitude has stuck with me since 6, there needs to be always a winning all expectation.

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Teams are winning now utilizing the portal. You can still recruit players who previously played at other schools and still have expectations to win. And in this day in age, if you truly aren’t trying to upgrade your roster every year, I question whether or not the will to win is there.

Gonzaga: two transfer starters
Arkansas: 4 of top 6 players from portal
Texas Tech: starts 4 transfers
Houston: 4 of top 6 players from portal
Arizona: 3 transfers in their rotation
Providence: 5 of top 7 players from portal
Miami: starts 3 transfers
Iowa State: won 2 games last year; brought in 5 new transfers
UNC/Kansas/Michigan: all have transfers who play key roles

All these teams are still playing today. All these teams have utilized the portal to their advantage, and in some cases use it extensively. Amazing what happens when teams add all these kids with “issues and baggage”.

You should say less.

I wish he cuts that stupid bun on top of his head!
Remember when people went crazy when mike davis let guys wear headbands for a few games. I thought the world was going to end for some people. I still wonder if some could cope if we put names on the jerseys. The whole iu can never moderize talk baffles me. And I I loved bob knight back in the day. The tradition ended in 1987 time to move on

Remember when people went crazy when mike davis let guys wear headbands for a few games. I thought the world was going to end for some people. I still wonder if some could cope if we put names on the jerseys. The whole iu can never moderize talk baffles me. And I I loved bob knight back in the day. The tradition ended in 1987 time to move on
Wrong, I'm as liberal as they come and I know you are a Trumpy person, but liberals value tradition too and it would very much displease me to see names on uniforms or any player input on uniforms. On some things, I'm very old school. They bitch, Woodson should break out some new old stock shorty shorts from 1987 to punish them and make them all use Alford's favorite hair gel. Really, if you're any good, should you sweat or your hair get messed up in a game, I think not, and Alford is proof. Alford took Clyde Frazier style to college, we need that back.

Rockin Steady, should be mandatory reading for all freshmen or in comers

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT