ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of talent catching up tonight ...

We have lost so many close games late this year due to poor guard play. Especially from our senior guards. I still don't understand why they think they need to force things. They've killed us all year long when things get close at the end. Green didn't play well tonight either but I would rather lose with the ball in his hands than Newkirk. Apologies to all the snowflakes that don't like players being called out.

Reactions: IUgradman
We have lost so many close games late this year due to poor guard play. Especially from our senior guards. I still don't understand why they think they need to force things. They've killed us all year long when things get close at the end. Green didn't play well tonight either but I would rather lose with the ball in his hands than Newkirk. Apologies to all the snowflakes that don't like players being called out.
No issues by me. Newkirk just seems to have no redeeming attributes - poor handle and constant t/os, poor shooter, continually jumps in air without any idea whether shooting or passing. Poor basketball IQ

We have more talent than Nebraska, they just play really stupid basketball some nights.

Looking forward to a roster without Newkirk, Johnson and Green.

Reactions: IUgradman
No issues by me. Newkirk just seems to have no redeeming attributes - poor handle and constant t/os, poor shooter, continually jumps in air without any idea whether shooting or passing. Poor basketball IQ

I do think he played his best ball at IU at the end of last year. For whatever reason he was never able to get his shit together this year.

Looks to me like Josh is just trying to get some points before his career is over, he's had a shoot first mentality a lot since Christmas.

Looks to me like Josh is just trying to get some points before his career is over, he's had a shoot first mentality a lot since Christmas.

Not sure why. He'll be the best player in his church league. Just hope for his sake that his degree will get him a great job.

Disagree completely. Not a talent issue. Problem is not playing smart - stupid shot selection, too many totally unforced turnovers, and poor rebounding technique. Those things don’t require a 4 or 5 star player. Really interested to see what next year’s team looks like without Johnson, Newkirk, McSwain, Hartman, and possibly Green. Morgan, Smith and McRoberts are 3 good returning pieces of next year’s puzzle. We’ll see.

Reactions: hondo314
Disagree completely. Not a talent issue. Problem is not playing smart - stupid shot selection, too many totally unforced turnovers, and poor rebounding technique. Those things don’t require a 4 or 5 star player. Really interested to see what next year’s team looks like without Johnson, Newkirk, McSwain, Hartman, and possibly Green. Morgan, Smith and McRoberts are 3 good returning pieces of next year’s puzzle. We’ll see.
If McRoberts sees the floor next year, with all the talent we have coming in, then CAM has done some bad recruiting, or they all get injured in preseason.

Tonight: 2 rebounds 2 turnovers 5 fouls

Was screaming when Newkirk drove the lane and tried to make a pass to ZM with the shot clock running down. What the hell was he going to do except dribble the ball and try to pass off?

Hopefully we have more options with Phinisee, Anderson and Hunter.

Reactions: echs86 and Coopster
If McRoberts sees the floor next year, with all the talent we have coming in, then CAM has done some bad recruiting, or they all get injured in preseason.

Was screaming when Newkirk drove the lane and tried to make a pass to ZM with the shot clock running down. What the hell was he going to do except dribble the ball and try to pass off?

Zach just seemed to have a really hard time matching up tonight. The game was just too quick and physical for him.

I agree! He just has no scoring options. What is this now, 3-4 games in a row he hasn't scored?????

Coopster

Green? Indiana will struggle next year if they also lose Green. Freshmen guards making up for 60mpg is enough. Losing Green too would make next year pretty rough most likely

Reactions: hondo314 and echs86
Nebraska was tough and took it right at IU. Let's get that part out there first. They size bothered Indiana the whole game and Indiana obviously wasn't careful enough with the ball against extended pressure. Roby out on guards was making it very difficult to get much going.

Morgan looked gassed all night. Sick? McRoberts had one of his worst games and all of the guards played poorly off the dribble. It would have helped if Hartman could have started knocking down shots. He just can't seem to jump anymore.

It was a tough environment to step into with Nebraska coming off a loss and looking for their record 12th win. It would have been amazing to get this one, but the real prize is the next game.

IU vs. OSU at home. Newkirk has to show up for that one. Wesson can be beaten inside. If IU can simply bring a ton of energy, defensive effort and better guard play into that game, they can win. It would be big for the program.

Disagree completely. Not a talent issue. Problem is not playing smart - stupid shot selection, too many totally unforced turnovers, and poor rebounding technique.
How is this not a talent issue? Hartman has struggled this year with all of his injuries, McSwain is a 6"5 post player that can't catch the ball, we start a walk on that literally never scores, Newkirk is not a basketball player, Johnson hasn't been consistent since his sophomore year, I could go on and on. Not to mention we have a guy with a full scholarship that has been at IU 4 years and has never provided anything outside of mop up duty. There is 1 guy available right now on this team that was a top 100 recruit. We are smaller than every team we play in conference, we can't shoot, and our guards have some of the lowest basketball IQs I've ever seen. What Archie has done this year getting this team to at least .500 in conference is a minor miracle.

Last edited:
How is this not a talent issue? Hartman has struggled this year with all of his injuries, McSwain is a 6"5 post player that can't catch the ball, we start a walk on that literally never scores, Newkirk is not a basketball player, Johnson hasn't been consistent since his sophomore year, I could go on and on. Not to mention we have a guy with a full scholarship that has been at IU 4 years and has never provided anything outside of mop up duty. There is 1 guy available right now on this team that was a top 100 recruit. We are smaller than every team we play in conference, we can't shoot, and our guards have some of the lowest basketball IQs I've ever seen. What Archie has done this year getting this team to at least .500 in conference is a minor miracle.
Well said

We have more talent than Nebraska, they just play really stupid basketball some nights.

Looking forward to a roster without Newkirk, Johnson and Green.

you want green gone? really? he's ha some flashes of excellence we can build on or do you want the crean deal where we never have any upperclassmen to teach the younger kids stuff? lol

ya, he's limited is it cool if he sticks around as part of the program? since he is good at some stuff?

man, some of you have crean on the brain! teams really, really need role players.

We have more talent than Nebraska
Nope, no we don't. They have more size/length, better shooting, guard play, basketball IQ, and athleticism. We don't even have as much talent on paper, they have multiple transfers that were borderline 5* players. Gill, Watson, and Palmer are all better than any guards we have on the current roster. Copeland was a 5 * recruit, and Roby is a lengthy and talented x factor. Just because we are IU doesn't mean we automatically have more talent than Nebraska. I don't know where people are getting this from. They have more talent in every conceivable way.

Last edited:

Smith and RJ were both top 100.

Times like this it helps to take a look ahead for encouragement. Even though nothing is set in stone we can hope to see the following...

Inside IU will have JM as a senior leader to guide the team. Expect a huge jump in Smith's game moving into his So. season. Another 6'8 in Thompson as a RS Fr. that knows the system. Then you are just trying to get any defense and rebounding from the guys in the 6'10 range (DD, CM and/or JF). Now you can match up with top teams and have a legit rotation.

On the wing they will have options in 6'7 Hunter and Anderson. 6'6 McRoberts who has become a defensive presence. That's not a bad group and if Hunter or Anderson can play any SG it is icing on the cake.

Guard seems to be the question mark. Can Green develop into a PG? Will RP offer much as a Fr.? Will AD have a jump in his game as a So.? And it is still possible Romeo lands in Bloomington, which would be incredible.

The future is bright for IU basketball and it's not far away.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree but at least in my book, being a talented player includes being a smart player. Hartman had that package but injuries have killed his game. Oh, I would Bec really surprised if Green doesn’t return. His best chance to becoming a really good and consistent player is to have Archie continue to be his mentor.

Nebraska was tough and took it right at IU. Let's get that part out there first. They size bothered Indiana the whole game and Indiana obviously wasn't careful enough with the ball against extended pressure. Roby out on guards was making it very difficult to get much going.

Morgan looked gassed all night. Sick? McRoberts had one of his worst games and all of the guards played poorly off the dribble. It would have helped if Hartman could have started knocking down shots. He just can't seem to jump anymore.

It was a tough environment to step into with Nebraska coming off a loss and looking for their record 12th win. It would have been amazing to get this one, but the real prize is the next game.

IU vs. OSU at home. Newkirk has to show up for that one. Wesson can be beaten inside. If IU can simply bring a ton of energy, defensive effort and better guard play into that game, they can win. It would be big for the program.
If our guards can't beat them off the dribble, then our guards don't need to be playing D1 basketball. I also notice when we make long passes, the receivers of those such passes never come to the ball. We also try forcing passes into spots that are defended by multiple players which shows the basketball IQ of some of our players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT