ADVERTISEMENT

KW gets Tulsa HC job

Wow kw has had plenty of time to reflect. Wherever he ends up would be huge imo. Being around all the excellent coaches at osu will only make him that much better.
There is no doubt in my mind that KW has excellent coaching skills and knowledge. I think if he can improve his inter-personal skills and avoid off the field issues he can be excellent.

just think if we had kept he and kelvin sampson. what might have been.
Yeah, what could've been if we kept a guy who spent six years as the OC for a playoff contender and only managed to get a job for a mediocre AAC program out of doing it and all that spotlight, and not even reported consideration for any others, let alone anything better. He's clearly a great coach! FFS.

if he's a shitty coach what does that make tom allen? yikes!

Someone that went to two January bowls and had two winning seasons. Better then anything Wilson produced here.

People forget that Wilson had the luxury of a 4 game OOC most of his time here.

If Allen had that same format, we very well could have been bowling his first two years with another cupcake on the schedule instead of a big 10 school.

On second thought, a lot of people on this board are lucky that didn't happen because his buyout would be pushed out that much longer.

Someone that went to two January bowls and had two winning seasons. Better then anything Wilson produced here.

If Allen had that same format, we very well could have been bowling his first two years with another cupcake on the schedule instead of a big 10 school.

On second thought, a lot of people on this board are lucky that didn't happen because his buyout would be pushed out that much longer.
You can’t honestly be the captain of Tom Allen’s hopelessly sinking ship, can you?

You can’t honestly be the captain of Tom Allen’s hopelessly sinking ship, can you?

I'm not giving up on the team if that's what you're asking.

I truly hope CTA puts together a good year next year. I want Indiana to be good, no matter who the coach is. Do I think Allen needs to improve, absolutely. I've said on the boards that I feel like his o-line coach hire will determine if he's employed past this coming year here. I like the hire, but I liked the hire of a couple coaches in the past who haven't done much yet (Scott at wr and Randolph at d-line). I thought Wellman would come in and pick up right where Ballou and Co. left off. He's one of my biggest gripes with the program, currently.

Sometimes I think people want to see us lose just because they want to be right about Allen and his shortcomings. You'll never see me routing for the downfall of a coach at Indiana.

are you saying allen would have gone bowling the last two years if he had one more ooc game?

Reactions: sparkeyreturns
I'm not giving up on the team if that's what you're asking.

I truly hope CTA puts together a good year next year. I want Indiana to be good, no matter who the coach is. Do I think Allen needs to improve, absolutely. I've said on the boards that I feel like his o-line coach hire will determine if he's employed past this coming year here. I like the hire, but I liked the hire of a couple coaches in the past who haven't done much yet (Scott at wr and Randolph at d-line). I thought Wellman would come in and pick up right where Ballou and Co. left off. He's one of my biggest gripes with the program, currently.

Sometimes I think people want to see us lose just because they want to be right about Allen and his shortcomings. You'll never see me routing for the downfall of a coach at Indiana.
Got it. Totally agree with every single statement you just made. I hate losing. Pisses me off - even if it's potentially better for the long term. Problem is I feel like I'm running out of years to be overly optimistic when there are signs everywhere that this is simply more of the same.

Reactions: ESalum86 and bang63
Got it. Totally agree with every single statement you just made. I hate losing. Pisses me off - even if it's potentially better for the long term. Problem is I feel like I'm running out of years to be overly optimistic when there are signs everywhere that this is simply more of the same.

Totally get that.

That's a aspect that I forget a lot on the boards. I would bet a lot of money that I'm on the younger side being 40.

You greybeards (I've started getting there) don't have as much patience like I do at this stage of my life with something like IU football. That's okay, but we're on the same side, wanting IU to win. Do I think Allen can turn it around? I have my doubts, but I'm not giving up on the team because IU is my team and I always want what's best for them.

If that makes me the captain of Allen's sinking ship, then I'll be on that boat until it's time to get off. He's not leaving this year, so I'm all on board.

are you saying allen would have gone bowling the last two years if he had one more ooc game?

Hell no.

His first two years though, absolutely. Since Allen has been here, we've lost two non con games, both to a ranked Cincinnati.

Not saying it would have happened, but with the schedule build that Wilson had, Allen may have been locked into his contact even longer.

Reactions: ESalum86 and DANC
Hell no.

His first two years though, absolutely. Since Allen has been here, we've lost two non con games, both to a ranked Cincinnati.

Not saying it would have happened, but with the schedule build that Wilson had, Allen may have been locked into his contact even longer.
It’s called a big boy schedule and IU hadn’t had one. Allen get 2 more years. I hope he does well but his backing is about gone.

Reactions: mk30
It’s called a big boy schedule and IU hadn’t had one. Allen get 2 more years. I hope he does well but his backing is about gone.

I understand everything you said, but he's got a history of winning his OOC games.

His first loss was last year against Cincinnati. His second, against Cincinnati. He's won every OOC game but those.

History tells us if he had a schedule like Wilson, we'd (probably) be a couple more years from that horrendous buyout then we are now.

I understand everything you said, but he's got a history of winning his OOC games.

His first loss was last year against Cincinnati. His second, against Cincinnati. He's won every OOC game but those.

History tells us if he had a schedule like Wilson, we'd (probably) be a couple more years from that horrendous buyout then we are now.
I wish you'd quit saying that. Every time I read it I throw up in my mouth a little bit. ;)

Congrats to him!

The only interactions I ever had with him were positive ones (but they where very limited so I'm not trying to undermine those had by others who spent more time with him)...

I do hope he does well...
He was pleasant to me, too. Of course, that was before Happy Hour started.....

I wish you'd quit saying that. Every time I read it I throw up in my mouth a little bit. ;)

Lucky for a lot of posters on here, it's all hypothetical.

However, after looking up his contact and buyout, we may be stuck with him until Dec. 1, 2024 when the buyout drops to just under 8 million a year. His buyout next year is still just north of 20 million, which would need to be paid out of four years, minus any money he would make being hired somewhere else.

I'm not sure Dolson will be able to ignore another 4-8 type season without making a change next year. He may have to find the money if it goes south, and find it quick.

Lucky for a lot of posters on here, it's all hypothetical.

However, after looking up his contact and buyout, we may be stuck with him until Dec. 1, 2024 when the buyout drops to just under 8 million a year. His buyout next year is still just north of 20 million, which would need to be paid out of four years, minus any money he would make being hired somewhere else.

I'm not sure Dolson will be able to ignore another 4-8 type season without making a change next year. He may have to find the money if it goes south, and find it quick.
If he has to fire him after next year, I can see Dolson going the cheap route and finding a hot DII coach to come in at $2 million per year and just pay Allen by the savings.

I'm not sure our situation would be much different.

• Wow
Reactions: mk30
If he has to fire him after next year, I can see Dolson going the cheap route and finding a hot DII coach to come in at $2 million per year and just pay Allen by the savings.

I'm not sure our situation would be much different.

It wouldn't.

Not only would Allen need to be paid in that scenario, but any coaches that were signed and not retained who couldn't find a job or as good of a paying job would also have to be paid out.

We'd be right back at square one because Indiana is cheap when it comes to football.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
It wouldn't.

Not only would Allen need to be paid in that scenario, but any coaches that were signed and not retained who couldn't find a job or as good of a paying job would also have to be paid out.

We'd be right back at square one because Indiana is cheap when it comes to football.
Now is not the time to be cheap. With the landscape as it is IU will be playing in a sand box full of cat sh!t.

Reactions: Chriselli
Now is not the time to be cheap. With the landscape as it is IU will be playing in a sand box full of cat sh!t.

I agree, but outside of re-upping Allen's contract, when has Indiana ever not been cheap?

We finally ponied up and started paying our coordinators more. A big reason for that was when Allen got his new contract, he also got 500k extra to spend on assistants.

Besides, most buyouts are paid through boosters. Indiana doesn't have any that will pay that type of money because our fan base won't pony up for a football program like we have, who historically loses year after year.

Why would anyone pay 20 plus million when we'll probably be in the same situation in four or five years.

I agree, but outside of re-upping Allen's contract, when has Indiana ever not been cheap?

We finally ponied up and started paying our coordinators more. A big reason for that was when Allen got his new contract, he also got 500k extra to spend on assistants.

Besides, most buyouts are paid through boosters. Indiana doesn't have any that will pay that type of money because our fan base won't pony up for a football program like we have, who historically loses year after year.

Why would anyone pay 20 plus million when we'll probably be in the same situation in four or five years.
Always cheap.

if he's a shitty coach what does that make tom allen? yikes!
Better than him, because, in case you didn't know, Allen STILL has a better win percentage than WIlson did and STILL has more wins than Wilson, despite both coaching for six years and one of Allen's being shortened.

Also, Allen has two winning seasons while Wilson and his supposed genius and superior coaching ability produced a grand total of ZERO despite having the benefit of an extra non-conference game in his seasons and not having any of those games be stupid home-and-homes against CFP-contending, solidly top-25 programs like Cincy.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
A note on Kevin Wilson...

I'm guessing (and that is All it is, is a guess) that he may have himself a case of CTE... It's well known that as a walk on lineman he was going up against one of the best DE's that Ever played in Lawrence Taylor and ole Lawrence was routinely beating the heck out of Kevin... With the headgear of the day that could not be healthy for the man...

Like I said. just a guess...

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and mk30
A note on Kevin Wilson...

I'm guessing (and that is All it is, is a guess) that he may have himself a case of CTE... It's well known that as a walk on lineman he was going up against one of the best DE's that Ever played in Lawrence Taylor and ole Lawrence was routinely beating the heck out of Kevin... With the headgear of the day that could not be healthy for the man...

Like I said. just a guess...
Quit it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT