ADVERTISEMENT

Knight appears at Greenwood (link)

Attitudes like this are why I sometimes feel that our fans don’t deserve anymore success from the basketball program. Maybe it needs to wither away and die so we can be rid of all the pompous, ungrateful, POS so-called “fans” like this one and others throughout this thread. You’re lower than dirt, scum of the earth...
I can understand your frustration. RMK did a lot of great things for the University and for his student athletes. But you can’t dispute anything the original poster said that has set you off. He was his own worst enemy. He did try to tear down the program after he left. He did thumb his nose at the administration. He took a microphone onto the court during a game to tell his critics to kiss his ass. And then he committed his worst offense. He stopped winning championships.

Knight was, far and away, the single person most responsible for his own demise. Not only did he thumb his nose at Brand, he did the same to essentially anyone else who dared to suggest his behavior was a big part of the problem. And these were his staunchest defenders and long time friends and advocates. I know several of them and, to a person, what Knight did to them was reprehensible.

His decline is sad and has been ongoing for a few years, but that doesn’t change his culpability in his departure from IU, no matter how willing some “fans” are to suspend reality and ignore the truth of what occurred.

I saw what occurred with my own two eyes. If one of those “advocates” you’re acquainted with is Felling or Doninger please tell them to go **** themselves. Thanks in advance.

What reprehensible behavior? He was fired because a smart ass kid disrespected him and he mildly rebuked the kid. His behavior might be reprehensible to a particular group of people who have a lot more education than intelligence. It’s like a mantra was adopted at that time by this group of people.
There is nowhere to even begin with this one.

I can understand your frustration. RMK did a lot of great things for the University and for his student athletes. But you can’t dispute anything the original poster said that has set you off. He was his own worst enemy. He did try to tear down the program after he left. He did thumb his nose at the administration. He took a microphone onto the court during a game to tell his critics to kiss his ass. And then he committed his worst offense. He stopped winning championships.

His biggest enemy was Myles Brand and a host of other people who he mistakenly thought he could trust. What he did in the aftermath of his firing was justified. If you can’t see that or at least forgive it, in light of everything else that we know, that’s your problem.

I saw what occurred with my own two eyes. If one of those “advocates” you’re acquainted with is Felling or Doninger please tell them to go **** themselves. Thanks in advance.
No, you saw only what you chose to see, and that view is incomplete, at best. Knight saw fit to spin out of control and trash everything in his path, including a number of his staunchest defenders and advocates. He has only himself to blame, and his nearly two decades grudge is an example of his pettiness. His decline is sad, but it’s coincidental to the great damage he’s done to both IU and himself.

No, you saw only what you chose to see, and that view is incomplete, at best. Knight saw fit to spin out of control and trash everything in his path, including a number of his staunchest defenders and advocates. He has only himself to blame, and his nearly two decades grudge is an example of his pettiness. His decline is sad, but it’s coincidental to the great damage he’s done to both IU and himself.

So who are the “advocates” that were trashed? Without names we can’t really evaluate whether they got a raw deal or deserved it. Of course, you won’t reveal those details, because they’re either imaginary or they have no credibility. You’ll just continue to beat your chest like a pompous ass about all the grave “damage” that RMK supposedly did to IU, which is demonstrably false to anyone with a brain who lived through his tenure there.

So who are the “advocates” that were trashed? Without names we can’t really evaluate whether they got a raw deal or deserved it. Of course, you won’t reveal those details, because they’re either imaginary or they have no credibility. You’ll just continue to beat your chest like a pompous ass about all the grave “damage” that RMK supposedly did to IU, which is demonstrably false to anyone with a brain who lived through his tenure there.
Many of the Trustees and senior administrators who were at IU during his tenure, as well as a number of former players, and other close-in alums and fans. If you had any proximity to the program as a fan, you would know who most of these people are. It’s a “who’s who” of IU through the 1970’s, 1980’s and 1990’s. These are names anyone close to IU would instantly know, and he trashed his relationships with nearly all of them. If you’re unaware, as I strongly suspect is the case, then you really don’t have any valuable insight and have simply crafted a false narrative of his conduct that allows you to justify his awful conduct. Either way, it confirms your views are, at best, uninformed. Impossible to consider you a fan as a result.

Many of the Trustees and senior administrators who were at IU during his tenure, as well as a number of former players, and other close-in alums and fans. If you had any proximity to the program as a fan, you would know who most of these people are. It’s a “who’s who” of IU through the 1970’s, 1980’s and 1990’s. These are names anyone close to IU would instantly know, and he trashed his relationships with nearly all of them. If you’re unaware, as I strongly suspect is the case, then you really don’t have any valuable insight and have simply crafted a false narrative of his conduct that allows you to justify his awful conduct. Either way, it confirms your views are, at best, uninformed. Impossible to consider you a fan as a result.

Not a name in your post anywhere. As expected...

Last edited:
Not a name in your post anywhere. As expected...
And, as I explicitly stated, anyone with even a passing understanding of IU and Knight during his tenure in Bloomington would already know most, if not all, of the names. As you’ve now confirmed, your views are the product of your admitted ignorance, a trait typical of the most diehard Knight sycophants.

And, as I explicitly stated, anyone with even a passing understanding of IU and Knight during his tenure in Bloomington would already know most, if not all, of the names. As you’ve now confirmed, your views are the product of your admitted ignorance, a trait typical of the most diehard Knight sycophants.

Oh I could speculate. There are two names at the top of my list right now, but I want to hear it from the guy who said he knows them personally.

You won’t do it because you’re a coward in addition to being a sanctimonious @sshole.

Oh I could speculate. There are two names at the top of my list right now, but I want to hear it from the guy who said he knows them personally.

You won’t do it because you’re a coward in addition to being a sanctimonious @sshole.
Only the ignorant would speculate because they’re not concerned with facts. Anyone who knew anything about IU or Knight wouldn’t be in your position of having to offer a weak and uninformed defense of something and someon you don’t understand. Your list is, I’m certain, laughable.

So it's okay that someone in the IU athletic department, after JJ committed to IU, told JJ he should reconsider his choice? Per JJ's father, that happened, and the person that did that continued to be employed at IU for years after that without repercussion.

He certainly has his share of the blame (he stated a number of times that, after Brand arrived at IU, he knew he should leave and he was correct - Brand was reprehensible), but the blame scale is tilted heavily to the IU side. How does something like that (telling a prime recruit he should reconsider his choice after he chose IU) happen without repercussion for the party involved or anyone up the food chain from that person?

That's beyond deplorable.

So it's okay that someone in the IU athletic department, after JJ committed to IU, told JJ he should reconsider his choice? Per JJ's father, that happened, and the person that did that continued to be employed at IU for years after that without repercussion.

He certainly has his share of the blame (he stated a number of times that, after Brand arrived at IU, he knew he should leave and he was correct - Brand was reprehensible), but the blame scale is tilted heavily to the IU side. How does something like that (telling a prime recruit he should reconsider his choice after he chose IU) happen without repercussion for the party involved or anyone up the food chain from that person?

That's beyond deplorable.
Of course that wasn’t okay, and I never claimed that it was. It was no more okay than Knight’s open rebellion against anyone in the University who merely expected him to behave like an adult. Why make a false claim in defense of Knight, unless that’s your only possible method of defense?

Not being there was Knight's choice. Myles brand has been gone from IU almost as long as Bob Knight.

And fwiw, "irregardless" is not a word. Not my intent to be an a-hole about it, but it's a major grammatical pet peeve of mine. I have an inability to not point it out when I see it or hear it.
Thank you for taking a stand on "irregardless." It's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Of course that wasn’t okay, and I never claimed that it was. It was no more okay than Knight’s open rebellion against anyone in the University who merely expected him to behave like an adult. Why make a false claim in defense of Knight, unless that’s your only possible method of defense?
Dead horses here but your premise I do not agree with about Knight not behaving like an adult. I find that description cowardly. He may have had instances where his comment or action was less than a positive reflection on the University. But the majority of the time ...overwhelmingly majority of the time his actions were a positive reflection. You can say that his missteps were not forgivable. But you are saying he was a child basically all the time and that just isn’t accurate at all.

Are you an Indiana University Hoosier or an Indiana Hoosier? I think I know.

What false claim did I make in defense of Knight?

Someone in IU's athletic department told JJ he should reconsider his decision to play for IU. JJ's father stated unequivocally that happened, and it was widely discussed on the old Peegs board.

The person that committed that egregious betrayal to IU stayed at IU for years. At the very least, that person should've been immediately terminated. The fact that nothing was done suggests that the IU administration at the very least were a bunch of cowards, and at worst were complicit in that IU admin's suggestion to JJ.

Behave like an adult indeed.

Knight's inability to control himself coupled with dwindling success is what got him fired. He demonstrated for his whole career that he had a temper and had trouble controlling it. Then he starts winning less and making no NCAA runs during a time when the University president is just looking for a reason to fire him. The lack of winning and Knight's continued behavior made it easier for him, thus the "zero tolerance" policy. Yes, in and of itself grabbing that kid want that big of a deal but he couldn't even control himself that much when he knew Brand was looking for any excuse.

So I say fault is 50/50 between Knight and Brand/IU.

Reactions: speroni
What false claim did I make in defense of Knight?

Someone in IU's athletic department told JJ he should reconsider his decision to play for IU. JJ's father stated unequivocally that happened, and it was widely discussed on the old Peegs board.

The person that committed that egregious betrayal to IU stayed at IU for years. At the very least, that person should've been immediately terminated. The fact that nothing was done suggests that the IU administration at the very least were a bunch of cowards, and at worst were complicit in that IU admin's suggestion to JJ.

Behave like an adult indeed.
I’ll give you an “A” for deflection but, if deplorable conduct is the standard, Knight loses in a landslide every time. He claimed he never grabbed Reed by the throat until a video showed it occurred, then he claimed he knew all along about the incident. He used rape as an analog to inevitability and, as a result, offended a great many people. He publicly proclaimed his support for Zero Tolerance and then claimed it was unjust. He often discussed his disgust for disrespectful behavior and then behaved in a disrespectful manner (intimidating employees, even throwing a plant at a wall in anger directed at an employee, going well past what would be considered acceptable coaching tactics by leaving toilet paper and other unmentionables in lockers . . . The list is endless. What isn’t and never has been endless is any acceptance of responsibility from him or any remorse or contrition, which is why he finds himself ostracized from the community of IU basketball fans who would love to honor him before he passes.

The thread was originally about his declining health, which hasn’t exactly been a secret for several years. Only when one of his sycophants used it as an opportunity to rehash the tired and patently false “he was a victim” narrative did this turn south. He was a great coach and his twilight struggles aren’t a happy occasion by any stretch. But dredging up inaccurate portrayals of his dismissal from IU is and always has been misguided and inappropriate.

Dead horses here but your premise I do not agree with about Knight not behaving like an adult. I find that description cowardly. He may have had instances where his comment or action was less than a positive reflection on the University. But the majority of the time ...overwhelmingly majority of the time his actions were a positive reflection. You can say that his missteps were not forgivable. But you are saying he was a child basically all the time and that just isn’t accurate at all.

Are you an Indiana University Hoosier or an Indiana Hoosier? I think I know.
I didn’t say he was a child all the time, but your defense or rationalization of his numerous childish and petty acts is a non-starter for objective adults who will never celebrate that sort of destructive conduct.

I’ll give you an “A” for deflection but, if deplorable conduct is the standard, Knight loses in a landslide every time. He claimed he never grabbed Reed by the throat until a video showed it occurred, then he claimed he knew all along about the incident. He used rape as an analog to inevitability and, as a result, offended a great many people. He publicly proclaimed his support for Zero Tolerance and then claimed it was unjust. He often discussed his disgust for disrespectful behavior and then behaved in a disrespectful manner (intimidating employees, even throwing a plant at a wall in anger directed at an employee, going well past what would be considered acceptable coaching tactics by leaving toilet paper and other unmentionables in lockers . . . The list is endless. What isn’t and never has been endless is any acceptance of responsibility from him or any remorse or contrition, which is why he finds himself ostracized from the community of IU basketball fans who would love to honor him before he passes.

The thread was originally about his declining health, which hasn’t exactly been a secret for several years. Only when one of his sycophants used it as an opportunity to rehash the tired and patently false “he was a victim” narrative did this turn south. He was a great coach and his twilight struggles aren’t a happy occasion by any stretch. But dredging up inaccurate portrayals of his dismissal from IU is and always has been misguided and inappropriate.
Is that you Dakich?

Knight's inability to control himself coupled with dwindling success is what got him fired. He demonstrated for his whole career that he had a temper and had trouble controlling it. Then he starts winning less and making no NCAA runs during a time when the University president is just looking for a reason to fire him. The lack of winning and Knight's continued behavior made it easier for him, thus the "zero tolerance" policy. Yes, in and of itself grabbing that kid want that big of a deal but he couldn't even control himself that much when he knew Brand was looking for any excuse.

Truth be told, Brand was looking for a reason to not fire him. In fact, he wanted nothing to do with the entire situation, which is why he concocted the ridiculous Zero Tolerance policy that Knight praised. Brand, if you’ll recall, was pilloried in the media and in academic circles for not taking a tougher stance due to the imposition of Zero Tolerance. After the dust settled, Knight realized he’d been outflanked by Brand’s version of modern discipline, and he defiantly pushed back, enlisting his fiercest defenders as a basis of support. When those people urged him to find common ground with Brand, Knight rebelled against them and isolated himself, even as they tried to help him. In so doing, he sowed the seeds of his ultimate dismissal, bit it was his rage and hubris that sold him out. So, no, Brand wasn’t looking for any excuse to fire Knight. In reality, he was looking for any excuse to not deal with any of it.

Reactions: CriticArisen

Hmmmmmm...... they have lost more since he left.... so, was it Knight or the University? He went to Texas Tech and took the same team that won like 5 games the previous season and made them 20 game winners. He took them to 4 straight NCAA bids. I personally don’t buy that the 1990’s was that bad. He had his first recruiting class in the 1990’s that didn’t win a Big 10 Championship. His first! Had we not experienced injuries to Henderson etc we would have probably added a banner. Here is a run down I found:

“From 1990-91 through 1992-93, the Hoosiers posted 87 victories, the most by any Big Ten team in a three-year span, breaking the mark of 86 set by Coach Knight's Indiana teams of 1974-76. Teams from these three seasons spent all but two of the 53 poll weeks in the top 10, and 38 of them in the top 5. They captured two Big Ten crowns in 1990-91 and 1992–93, and during the 1991-92 season reached the Final Four. During the 1992-93 season, the 31-4 Hoosiers finished the season at the top of the AP Poll, but were defeated by Kansas in the Elite Eight.

Throughout the mid and late 1990s Knight continued to experience success with continual NCAA tournament appearances and a minimum of 19 wins each season. However, 1993 would be Knight's last conference championship and 1994 would be his last trip to the Sweet Sixteen.”

So in 1994 I believe was the r3cruiting class with Charlie Miller, Patterson, etc that didn’t get it done. Pretty short string wouldn’t you say to fire because he as you insinuated wasn’t winning in comparison to today’s Hoosiers?

I didn’t say he was a child all the time, but your defense or rationalization of his numerous childish and petty acts is a non-starter for objective adults who will never celebrate that sort of destructive conduct.
I didn’t rationalize anything....

Again, are you an Indiana Hoosier or a Indiana University Hoosier? I think I know. Buy a pair of candy stripes and drink a smoothie.

Truth be told, Brand was looking for a reason to not fire him. In fact, he wanted nothing to do with the entire situation, which is why he concocted the ridiculous Zero Tolerance policy that Knight praised. Brand, if you’ll recall, was pilloried in the media and in academic circles for not taking a tougher stance due to the imposition of Zero Tolerance. After the dust settled, Knight realized he’d been outflanked by Brand’s version of modern discipline, and he defiantly pushed back, enlisting his fiercest defenders as a basis of support. When those people urged him to find common ground with Brand, Knight rebelled against them and isolated himself, even as they tried to help him. In so doing, he sowed the seeds of his ultimate dismissal, bit it was his rage and hubris that sold him out. So, no, Brand wasn’t looking for any excuse to fire Knight. In reality, he was looking for any excuse to not deal with any of it.
Oh.... Brand was a victim of Knight...gotcha

Reactions: IUPaterade724
Hmmmmmm...... they have lost more since he left.... so, was it Knight or the University? He went to Texas Tech and took the same team that won like 5 games the previous season and made them 20 game winners. He took them to 4 straight NCAA bids. I personally don’t buy that the 1990’s was that bad. He had his first recruiting class in the 1990’s that didn’t win a Big 10 Championship. His first! Had we not experienced injuries to Henderson etc we would have probably added a banner. Here is a run down I found:

“From 1990-91 through 1992-93, the Hoosiers posted 87 victories, the most by any Big Ten team in a three-year span, breaking the mark of 86 set by Coach Knight's Indiana teams of 1974-76. Teams from these three seasons spent all but two of the 53 poll weeks in the top 10, and 38 of them in the top 5. They captured two Big Ten crowns in 1990-91 and 1992–93, and during the 1991-92 season reached the Final Four. During the 1992-93 season, the 31-4 Hoosiers finished the season at the top of the AP Poll, but were defeated by Kansas in the Elite Eight.

Throughout the mid and late 1990s Knight continued to experience success with continual NCAA tournament appearances and a minimum of 19 wins each season. However, 1993 would be Knight's last conference championship and 1994 would be his last trip to the Sweet Sixteen.”

So in 1994 I believe was the r3cruiting class with Charlie Miller, Patterson, etc that didn’t get it done. Pretty short string wouldn’t you say to fire because he as you insinuated wasn’t winning in comparison to today’s Hoosiers?
I didn't mention the teams of today at all and, seeing as how no one can see the future, that wasn't taken into account at all when Knight was fired. They were mediocre seasons at the end of his time at IU. Not competing for regular season B1G titles, not ding anything of note in the B1GT, low seeds in the NCAAT followed by getting upset in the first round year after year. Were they better teams than we've seen the last few years? Sure. Were they great teams? Far from it. Rather mediocre, actually.

And again, it wasn't just the wins and losses. It's that the wins winds no longer good enough to justify his other baggage, namely his temper and behavior.

I didn’t rationalize anything....

Again, are you an Indiana Hoosier or a Indiana University Hoosier? I think I know. Buy a pair of candy stripes and drink a smoothie.
Long time fan and graduate, two characteristics that likely aren’t applicable to you. Of this I am certain.

Oh.... Brand was a victim of Knight...gotcha
Like many, your emotional investment to Knight clouds your ability to comprehend facts. Nowhere did I claim Brand was a victim of Knight, only that Brand wasn’t out to get him. Your “Indiana Hoosier”, rather than “Indiana University (or any other seat of higher learning) Hoosier” characteristics, are on full display.

Long time fan and graduate, two characteristics that likely aren’t applicable to you. Of this I am certain.
Lifetime fan and graduate. But I’m from the era of Indiana Hoosiers. Raised here and my parents still call Bloomington home. Your certainty in your statement displays your propensity to be incorrect.

Lifetime fan and graduate. But I’m from the era of Indiana Hoosiers. Raised here and my parents still call Bloomington home. Your certainty in your statement displays your propensity to be incorrect.
And your posts display the traits of a casual fan rather than someone who possesses any deep knowledge of IU basketball during the Knight years. I strongly suspect there’s an obvious reason for that.

First you stated he had defenders and advocates .....

And these were his staunchest defenders and long time friends and advocates.

I offered evidence that showed that there were people in the IU administration that were in fact neither defending nor advocating for him, they were in fact undermining his efforts by telling a Top 10 recruit he should reconsider his choice to play at IU, and that nothing was done about this egregious behavior. I termed that behavior deplorable.

You then accused me of lying .....

Why make a false claim in defense of Knight

I didn't make a false claim, I provided evidence that showed there were people inside of IU's athletic department working against RMK. You can't refute that evidence, so you accuse me of lying, then you state that I'm deflecting by bringing up "The Litany" .....

I’ll give you an “A” for deflection

..... when in fact I didn't excuse RMK's behavior, I stated that IU allowing someone within the athletic department to continue working for IU after telling JJ he should reconsider his commitment to IU was deplorable.

You've offered nothing - at all - to refute that statement, but instead are doing the very deflecting you accuse me of.

That's just pitiful.

First you stated he had defenders and advocates .....

I offered evidence that showed that there were people in the IU administration that were in fact neither defending nor advocating for him, they were in fact undermining his efforts by telling a Top 10 recruit he should reconsider his choice to play at IU, and that nothing was done about this egregious behavior. I termed that behavior deplorable.

You then accused me of lying .....

I didn't make a false claim, I provided evidence that showed there were people inside of IU's athletic department working against RMK. You can't refute that evidence, so you accuse me of lying, then you state that I'm deflecting by bringing up "The Litany" .....

..... when in fact I didn't excuse RMK's behavior, I stated that IU allowing someone within the athletic department to continue working for IU after telling JJ he should reconsider his commitment to IU was deplorable.

You've offered nothing - at all - to refute that statement, but instead are doing the very deflecting you accuse me of.

That's just pitiful.
The actions you mentioned were those of exactly one person. That’s it. Your lie was in your implication that I somehow endorsed that conduct and / or was dismissive of it. It was classic deflection by you and inherently disingenuous. Your continued focus on that while entirely dismissing any responsibility or culpability by Knight reveals your inability to provide an objective or intelligent view of the issues that led to his dismissal. Your continued efforts at deflection underscore that fact, even as I’ve offered nothing but facts in counter to your selective position. The only pitiful take is your own.

And your posts display the traits of a casual fan rather than someone who possesses any deep knowledge of IU basketball during the Knight years. I strongly suspect there’s an obvious reason for that.
I was in elementary school (Indiana University Elementary) in the mid 70’s. I lived through it. I saw first hand what Knight did for the community and the State. It was far more than just basketball. You bore me now. Unfortunately, the move to bring the east coast to Bloomington by the educational elite has brought us people like you. To be kind I refer to those as Indiana University Hoosiers. No tie to the State other than the University. That’s fine. It is what it is. But there is a difference and we know what it is....

I was in elementary school (Indiana University Elementary) in the mid 70’s. I lived through it. I saw first hand what Knight did for the community and the State. It was far more than just basketball. You bore me now. Unfortunately, the move to bring the east coast to Bloomington by the educational elite has brought us people like you. To be kind I refer to those as Indiana University Hoosiers. No tie to the State other than the University. That’s fine. It is what it is. But there is a difference and we know what it is....
If you really are from Bloomington, you display an alarming lack of insight into Knight’s tenure. And I witnessed far more of it than what you claim. Your continued deflections and willingness to see only an isolated side of it prove this u equivocally. Again, it’s likely you saw much less than you claim, based on on your posts. And it was always “University Elementary”, not “Indiana University Elementary”. You’re confirming what I strongly suspected.

If you really are from Bloomington, you display an alarming lack of insight into Knight’s tenure. And I witnessed far more of it than what you claim. Your continued deflections and willingness to see only an isolated side of it prove this u equivocally. Again, it’s likely you saw much less than you claim, based on on your posts.
You managed to say absolutely nothing

Still nothing...
Again, your inherent bias doesn’t make room for any intelligent thought. You see nothing because you’re unable to understand anything on this topic. Your lack of insight regarding Knight’s tenure at IU has already been confirmed. More simply put, you aren’t what you claim, and you don’t have any idea what you’re talking about.

The actions you mentioned were those of exactly one person. That’s it. Your lie was in your implication that I somehow endorsed that conduct and / or was dismissive of it. It was classic deflection by you and inherently disingenuous. Your continued focus on that while entirely dismissing any responsibility or culpability by Knight reveals your inability to provide an objective or intelligent view of the issues that led to his dismissal. Your continued efforts at deflection underscore that fact, even as I’ve offered nothing but facts in counter to your selective position. The only pitiful take is your own.
If I didn’t believe RMK had any culpability in his own dismissal, why did I state this .....

He certainly has his share of the blame

You’re wrong.

Again.

The actions of that one person were shared by that person’s boss and the boss’s +1. Treason is one of the most serious offenses any organization can endure, and it normally ends in multiple terminations because of the damage it causes to the structure of the organization.

Yet no one - not a single person - in the IU administration lost their job over the treasonous act.

I’m not deflecting. You are.

And it’s really pitiful to watch.

Can’t believe you have the nerve to call someone else in this thread disingenuous. Pot meet kettle. I’ve asked you repeatedly to name just one of these people who you say was an advocate for RMK that he trashed and you can’t do it. Or you won’t do it because you know that as soon as you put a name on your accusation that I’ll be able to blow their credibility out of the water. You’re a joke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT