ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas could be toast

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
In the same email, Dawkins summarized a meeting with Apples Jones, the mother of Kansas’ Josh Jackson and a self-styled AAU entrepreneur: “His situation is going to get done at the very end. UA is giving her 10k a month and she’s also getting paid by adidas now — so she’s plenty taken care of.

Wow!!!!!!!

Reactions: IUgradman
IU could be toast.

In the same email, Dawkins summarized a meeting with Apples Jones, the mother of Kansas’ Josh Jackson and a self-styled AAU entrepreneur: “His situation is going to get done at the very end. UA is giving her 10k a month and she’s also getting paid by adidas now — so she’s plenty taken care of.

Wow!!!!!!!

No one should feel safe at this point.

However, neither Self or any assistants have been implicated in anything yet.

Which is more than you can say for some schools...

Can IU getnin trouble even though Bowen didn’t go to IU? Only mention was he was trying to work a deal out.
I'm not sure why so many folks here think that just because an agent initiated contact with an assistant coach, the assistant coach is automatically guilty. Are coaches supposed to just stop taking phone calls and block everybody from their email account? Look, neither Thomas Bryant nor OG signed with the agency in question. Nobody paid Brian Bowen to come to Indiana. If you offer me something illegal and I don't accept it, have I broken any laws by hearing or reading the offer? Until someone can prove more than these coaches listening to an agent, I don't see anything worth worrying about for IU or some of the other schools. For schools and coaches that accepted the offers and arranged for players to be paid, that's a different story.

Where in the email does it suggest who initiated contact with whom?

At the end of the day, it appears that an IU Assistant Coach had a conversation about a recruit with an AGENT. Think about that for a while... That (probable) conversation, whatever its results, should have NEVER taken place.

I'm not sure why so many folks here think that just because an agent initiated contact with an assistant coach, the assistant coach is automatically guilty. Are coaches supposed to just stop taking phone calls and block everybody from their email account? Look, neither Thomas Bryant nor OG signed with the agency in question. Nobody paid Brian Bowen to come to Indiana. If you offer me something illegal and I don't accept it, have I broken any laws by hearing or reading the offer? Until someone can prove more than these coaches listening to an agent, I don't see anything worth worrying about for IU or some of the other schools. For schools and coaches that accepted the offers and arranged for players to be paid, that's a different story.

Last edited:
Where in the email does it suggest who initiated contact with whom?

At the end of the day, it appears that an IU Assistant Coach had a conversation about a recruit with an AGENT. Think about that for a while... That (probable) conversation, whatever its results, should have NEVER taken place.
Where does it say there was a "conversation?" What it says is one side perceived it was trying to work out a deal with the other side. It doesn't say the other side was interested. You are making that assumption. Assumptions don't get very far in the legal process.

Reactions: mazz
Where does it say there was a "conversation?" What it says is one side perceived it was trying to work out a deal with the other side. It doesn't say the other side was interested. You are making that assumption. Assumptions don't get very far in the legal process.

“Chuck Martin – Trying to close the deal on Brian Bowen for Indiana,” Dawkins wrote to Miller in the email reported by Yahoo. “I told him if we can work together and if he can push for us to get (Hoosiers) Thomas Bryant and OG Anunoby two projected first rounders from IU this year we can work something out.”

Yeah, ummm sure, Chuck wasn't having a "conversation" about Bowen with Dawkins.

Are you serious?

“Chuck Martin – Trying to close the deal on Brian Bowen for Indiana,” Dawkins wrote to Miller in the email reported by Yahoo. “I told him if we can work together and if he can push for us to get (Hoosiers) Thomas Bryant and OG Anunoby two projected first rounders from IU this year we can work something out.”

Are you serious?
Where is the Chuck Martin quote in that email? And by the way, even if there was a Chuck Martin quote in that email, it would be hearsay. You're welcome to keep responding, but I happen to, unlike most here, know what I am talking about.

Where is the Chuck Martin quote in that email? And by the way, even if there was a Chuck Martin quote in that email, it would be hearsay. You're welcome to keep responding, but I happen to, unlike most here, know what I am talking about.

So, you still don't think a "conversation" took place?

The only thing we know is what was sent to Martin in that email. I’ll wait and see if there are any prior or subsequent emails released and who said what. If Martin was actively negotiating, then we may have a problem. If Martin replied “No, thank you”, then we should be alright. Maybe Martin didn’t reply at all. We’ll have to wait and see.

What we all "think" took place isn't relevant. The piece of evidence in front of us does not even hint that a conversation took place. The evidence says only that one side was going to try to work out a deal. That's all there is. It says nothing regarding whether the other side even responded, let alone was interested. Speculation as to what happened means nothing in the legal world.

What we all "think" took place isn't relevant. The piece of evidence in front of us does not even hint that a conversation took place. The evidence says only that one side was going to try to work out a deal. That's all there is. It says nothing regarding whether the other side even responded, let alone was interested. Speculation as to what happened means nothing in the legal world.

So far it looks like the equivalent of some guy emailing his phone number to a bunch of chicks in the hopes one will call him.

Not to mention that evidence shows that there was no deal. Bowen did not go to IU, Bryant and OG didn't sign with their guy. If anything, this makes it look like Dawkins tried to drag IU into it, and IU said "no thanks." Is there a possibility of impropriety? Of course. But only if actual damning evidence appears. From what has come to light so far... there is no issue here.

Can IU getnin trouble even though Bowen didn’t go to IU? Only mention was he was trying to work a deal out.
Could be a penalty for not reporting it, but I'm just guessing. Seems like a reasonable requirement to report to the compliance office and NCAA if a program is contacted about doing something impermissible. Obviously, if they've contacted your program, they're probably contacting others and someone might bite on the offer. In this case, it appears that Louisville bit.

Not to mention that evidence shows that there was no deal. Bowen did not go to IU, Bryant and OG didn't sign with their guy. If anything, this makes it look like Dawkins tried to drag IU into it, and IU said "no thanks." Is there a possibility of impropriety? Of course. But only if actual damning evidence appears. From what has come to light so far... there is no issue here.
I'd guess if this is all there is for IU, it might result in a warning or minimal penalty of some sort.

So far, yes, that’s what the evidence shows. There’s always the possibility that Martin tried to negotiate for Bowen and lost. I doubt AZ is the only school that offered something to get Ayton, maybe AZ just offered the most. We just have to wait and see. It could be as simple as Martin said “no” or didn’t say anything at all. It could also be Martin tried and lost.

But IU turned them in, right? Martin hung up the phone, printed emails and texts, called Crean, called Compliance, notified the NCAA, right?

If they didn't, it's more than fair to question Martin's motives, Crean's judgment for hiring him, and Crean's supposed ignorance in spite of his well known reputation for micromanaging everything in his program. For someone who claims to know what they're talking about, you haven't thought this through very well.

And the FBI was and remains focused on bribery and wire fraud, not paying players per se. The wiretaps and other "correspondence" were obtained as a result of those investigatory activities. Check with your lawyer friends if you need a primer.

Reactions: Pryght
But IU turned them in, right? Martin hung up the phone, printed emails and texts, called Crean, called Compliance, notified the NCAA, right?

If they didn't, it's more than fair to question Martin's motives, Crean's judgment for hiring him, and Crean's supposed ignorance in spite of his well known reputation for micromanaging everything in his program. For someone who claims to know what they're talking about, you haven't thought this through very well.

What if Martin hung up the phone and did nothing else? What if Martin either never responded to the email or simply replied “no”? Why would Martin bother contacting the NCAA? We all know they are a joke. Look what they did to UNC regarding fake classes to keep kids eligible...nothing. But they punished the hell out of IU for phone calls that we voluntarily reported and already punished ourselves for.

What if Martin hung up the phone and did nothing else? What if Martin either never responded to the email or simply replied “no”? Why would Martin bother contacting the NCAA? We all know they are a joke. Look what they did to UNC regarding fake classes to keep kids eligible...nothing. But they punished the hell out of IU for phone calls that we voluntarily reported and already punished ourselves for.
If IU got a phone call soliciting a pay for play deal involving a recruit, the IU compliance people would insist that it be fully vetted and reported to the NCAA. Failing to report such an incident would be a termination for cause issue for Martin and, if he knew, Crean.

As for UNC, it's well known that, while their willingness to offer sham classes / majors is offensive to the reputation of an excellent university, the fact that they the AA studies program wasn't set up exclusively for athletes (many non-athletes were also involved) made it obvious that it was outside NCAA rules. In short, there was no NCAA rule they violated, which most people understand clearly.

And the FBI was and remains focused on bribery and wire fraud, not paying players per se. The wiretaps and other "correspondence" were obtained as a result of those investigatory activities. Check with your lawyer friends if you need a primer.
You're welcome to question motives and speculate all you want. Out in the real world, though, message board speculation and "if this" and "if that" isn't evidence. "Motives" have to be proven by evidence, and that's going to be very hard to do even if some actual evidence suggesting Martin responded would come to light. And thanks for the kind tip, but it's not necessary for me to consult "lawyer friends."

You're welcome to question motives and speculate all you want. Out in the real world, though, message board speculation and "if this" and "if that" isn't evidence. "Motives" have to be proven by evidence, and that's going to be very hard to do even if some actual evidence suggesting Martin responded would come to light. And thanks for the kind tip, but it's not necessary for me to consult "lawyer friends."
It's all speculation on a message board . . . assumed that was obvious. Only suggested you consult "lawyer friends" because you made some cliched generalizations that wouldn't pass the smell test in the legal community. No offense intended.

Reactions: mathboy
Unless and until a whole lot more is revealed about IU, this (so far) appears to be waaaay down the list when it comes to crimes against the state. Trolls here drooling over it is to be expected. Haven't checked GBI, but I imagine they are hitting the lotion and tube sock at a New Pal Boiler level.

It's all speculation on a message board . . . assumed that was obvious. Only suggested you consult "lawyer friends" because you made some cliched generalizations that wouldn't pass the smell test in the legal community. No offense intended.
No offense taken. My original reason for posting was simply to answer a question from bsmitty regarding whether IU could be in trouble. The bottom line is IU likely has little to worry about based on what's come to light. As I said, for the schools and coaches that made deals to pay players, that's a different story.

And I'm not sure, given that Chuck Martin and Brian Bowen are now at South Carolina, whether it would be much more South Carolina's problem if evidence came to light that Martin responded and attempted to negotiate a deal. I have no idea what IU's exposure might be then.

I’ll tell you what I’d do if I was IU (but IU always self-reports, which is literally handing the NCAA everything they need to bury you):

1. “We have no record of any communications by Mr. Martin”
2. “Mr. Martin was on Tom Crean’s staff and we terminated our contracts with those individuals.”
3. “We have no information retained from Mr. Martin’s emails or phone records. We cannot supply those.”

Make the NCAA investigate it and do their own damn work if they want to pursue it. The NCAA doesn’t have the manpower to investigate something of this magnitude. Let them pursue it. We have nothing to offer them.

No offense taken. My original reason for posting was simply to answer a question from bsmitty regarding whether IU could be in trouble. The bottom line is IU likely has little to worry about based on what's come to light. As I said, for the schools and coaches that made deals to pay players, that's a different story.

And I'm not sure, given that Chuck Martin and Brian Bowen are now at South Carolina, whether it would be much more South Carolina's problem if evidence came to light that Martin responded and attempted to negotiate a deal. I have no idea what IU's exposure might be then.
No issue with any of that. Martin, likely, will become radioactive when this is all said and done. KJ already is, by the way. Head coaches who rely on assistants to conduct the shadowy business of recruiting on the fringes of compliance will pay for the transgressions of their charges. And, hopefully, the NBA will end the nonsensical draft eligibility rules that keep kids out of the league who don't have any business in college. Oh, and while this may be the end for a number of coaches, I would be willing to bet that Mark Emmert will be swept out the door, too. He's really poor at his job.

IF I was a coach who would not cheat or pay to play I would still listen to an agent, handler, parent etc. to find out if a recruit is on the up and up. By doing so I invest my time and recruiting budget on players that I may actually land. Investing time and energy in a player that's looking for a payday would be a waste of resources. If my occupation is coaching basketball and my job stability is tenuous then I'm not going to be a nark and risk future employment opportunities. The NCAA created this environment and should be investigated by the FBI as well!

Are you serious?
Look, man, you're right to be concerned about this (assuming you're not just starting fights), but I don't think the original link documents how Martin responded, if he did.

Some of this avalanche of internet stories appear to rely on assumed quotations from the agent's emails (his version) while others appear to rely on transcripts of partially leaked wiretaps (perhaps indisputable if the wiretaps are audible/ understandable). So, is there any source out there that demonstrates what Martin said in response?

Wow!!!!!!!
Look. Some of these listings such as Jared Jefferies getting an amost 5$,000 dollar loan is after he declared for NBA. Nothing becomes of this and is stupid for it being listed,. Same wth Demetrius Jackson having dinner with agent after he declared. No penalties for this so why even list this.Kids going to certain colleges for amounts of money or benefits is a whole other matter. No way kids do not know parents are being paid.Coaches know too. No matter how much they will lie to clear themselves.Taking money such as loans with agencies after announcing for NBA is only a crime if they return to school. Thus forfeiting eligibility.

Reactions: mazz
IF I was a coach who would not cheat or pay to play I would still listen to an agent, handler, parent etc. to find out if a recruit is on the up and up. By doing so I invest my time and recruiting budget on players that I may actually land. Investing time and energy in a player that's looking for a payday would be a waste of resources. If my occupation is coaching basketball and my job stability is tenuous then I'm not going to be a nark and risk future employment opportunities. The NCAA created this environment and should be investigated by the FBI as well!

Stop making sense, it is frowned on by some here.

I’ll tell you what I’d do if I was IU (but IU always self-reports, which is literally handing the NCAA everything they need to bury you):

1. “We have no record of any communications by Mr. Martin”
2. “Mr. Martin was on Tom Crean’s staff and we terminated our contracts with those individuals.”
3. “We have no information retained from Mr. Martin’s emails or phone records. We cannot supply those.”

Make the NCAA investigate it and do their own damn work if they want to pursue it. The NCAA doesn’t have the manpower to investigate something of this magnitude. Let them pursue it. We have nothing to offer them.

Exactly what I’m suggesting regarding Martin getting an email. There’s a chance he ignored it AND didn’t bother notifying the joke that is the NCAA. Why would he lift a finger to help them? And what you said is exactly what IU’s response should be.

Wow!!!!!!!

That sounds like something right out of Blue Chips.

So far it looks like the equivalent of some guy emailing his phone number to a bunch of chicks in the hopes one will call him.

Wishful thinking? Let it play out. It doesn’t look like there is anything but there is a
long way to go. The FBI could be dishing out stuff like this. for people To get them to talk.

Wishful thinking? Let it play out. It doesn’t look like there is anything but there is a
long way to go. The FBI could be dishing out stuff like this. for people To get them to talk.

No wishful thinking regarding this. I have an opinion on what it looks like “so far” with the few lines of email text from Dawkins. I also know none of us know jack until more evidence is made public.

Reactions: speroni
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT