ADVERTISEMENT

Kamala’s take on the Economy

Not everyone is cut out to be a nurse.
And the hot ones are Mia. I spent all last week in the hospital. Where’d they go? Same place as the hot servers I guess. But you’re right. Blood. Sick people. Etc.

That said two years good pay and a 3 day work week is nice

Brad, how many PI attorneys have never actually been in a courtroom ?
Somewhere approaching zero.

PI=personal injury. Even if they don't try cases, they argue motions in court a lot or show up on status calls.

Not everyone is cut out to be a nurse.
Cousin's oldest kid is a nurse. She wanted to be an ER nurse from the time she was a little kid. After about a year at Eskanazi, the stories about blood everywhere and gun shot wounds began to wane. She's a traveling nurse now. 6 month contract at different locales. Her husband is in medical IT and can work from anywhere. They're both making bank and she's happy to be out of the ER and doing boring nurse stuff at $80-90/hr.

I'm going to play devil's advocate for awhile here, to see how this plays out: heart surgeons aren't cereal boxes. Judging quality of each is difficult to impossible to do and doctor's abilities in specialty care aren't usually fungible.

Attorneys "compete" for PI cases all the time. Yet the price for PI attorneys has not changed in 30-40 years (maybe longer now?). I think one reason must be that the lay person cannot hope to know enough to compare prices and abilities of lawyers.
If prices have stayed the same that long, doesn't it prove competition is working?

Otherwise prices would have gone up like everything else?

Cousin's oldest kid is a nurse. She wanted to be an ER nurse from the time she was a little kid. After about a year at Eskanazi, the stories about blood everywhere and gun shot wounds began to wane. She's a traveling nurse now. 6 month contract at different locales. Her husband is in medical IT and can work from anywhere. They're both making bank and she's happy to be out of the ER and doing boring nurse stuff at $80-90/hr.
I'll tell you about the Thai traveling nurse that accompanied me from Italy to Kokomo next time we have lunch.

yet corporations made record profits during and after the pandemic..

but definitely not price gouging.
@mcmurtry66 this is what we’re up against. Dumb dumb dumb. I could explain this concept to my 10 year old daughter and she would understand it before Hick.

This is why we need to start Baddie Babes on Fox. Nobody cares about polices. It’s all emotions. The target audience is solid 5s up to 8s. We already got the hot chicks locked up and we have zero chance of swaying an ugly fat 3. Liberals have them locked up.

Several show concepts.

Day 1 We explain how inflation is increasing the cost of clothes, nails, and etc. Bring out a divorcee who couldn’t keep up her maintenance and style and explain how a young expiring PETA lawyer stole her husband because of it.

Day 2 is Bitcoin = Botox. I’m probably going to be the star of this show.

Day 3 is abortion. We’re going to bring out a miserable single 60 year old who is hurting because she had abortions and is lonely. Then we hit them with young mom’s who were thinking about having abortions, but kept their babies. Then like f#cking Oprah “You get a baby, you get a baby, you get a baby”. Babies everywhere. Those bitches will love it.

Day 4 I’ll talk about my love for cats. They’ll relate.

Day 5 Gomez talks self defense and Jesus.

Last edited:
@mcmurtry66 this is what we’re up against. Dumb dumb dumb. I could explain this concept to my 10 year old daughter and she would understand it before Hick.

This is why we need to start Baddie Babes on Fox. Nobody cares about polices. It’s all emotions. The target audience is solid 5s up to 8s. We already got the hot chicks locked up and we have zero chance of swaying an ugly fat 3. Liberals have them locked up.

A couple show concepts.

Day 1 We explain how inflation is increasing the cost of clothes, nails, and etc. Bring out a divorcee who couldn’t keep up her maintenance and style and explain how a young expiring PETA lawyer stole her husband because of it.

Day 2 is Bitcoin = Botox. I’m probably going to be the star of this show.

Day 3 is abortion. We’re going to bring out a miserable single 60 year old who is hurting because she had abortions and is lonely. Then we hit them with young mom’s who were thinking about having abortions, but kept their babies. Then like f#cking Oprah “You get a baby, you get a baby, you get a baby”. Babies everywhere. Those bitches will love it.

Day 4 I’ll talk about my love for cats. They’ll relate.

Day 5 Gomez talks self defense and Jesus.
A Different View

• Love
Reactions: snarlcakes
that my friend is a very loaded question and dependent upon many factors and states. the biggest change in that world is advertising. so now you have the morgan and morgan firms where they sign up thousands and thousands of cases and it's certainly true that they have lawyers who do nothing but send out demands and negotiate settlements. but outside of that most pi lawyers go to court. insurance adjusters @larsIU and defense whether captive or outside know whether you've tried cases and that impacts the value. what's more it depends on laws. in some states it used to be that the jury didn't get to hear that the P had medical insurance. so you could have a guy with an ER bill and chiro bill totaling $5k. settle it for $15k on a letter and make five grand in a few hours. No need for court. that law changed in places and now that offer from the insurance company might be $5k. better to file and do a quick and dirty trial. Med mal you almost always have to go to court and fight like an animal

some states have no fault where up to a certain threshold you pursue your own carrier via pip. that won't make much of a living. better go to court.

so i will say most pi lawyers have not only been in a courtroom but spent considerable time in a courtroom if they're actual pi lawyers. now @BradStevens swings for the fences with the class action shit. trial lawyers but difft breed

True story: my company (and another company we subsequently bought) was sued because a guy got off a fork truck, climbed a mezzanine, stuck his arm inside an auger that had become jammed, and lost his arm. Our companies were sued because we had worked on the power, controls, and hydraulics of the machine when it was installed -- 8 years prior to the incident.

It languished for roughly 2 years. How, I have no idea. Finally, against my wishes, our insurance company settled with these scumbags for a "nuisance settlement."

I'm sure there are some PI attorneys who are decent people. But, as a group, I generally see them as payday lenders in a suit. And I just have virtually no respect for our whole tort industry -- especially when they try to tell us it's about delivering justice.

True story: my company (and another company we subsequently bought) was sued because a guy got off a fork truck, climbed a mezzanine, stuck his arm inside an auger that had become jammed, and lost his arm. Our companies were sued because we had worked on the power, controls, and hydraulics of the machine when it was installed -- 8 years prior to the incident.

It languished for roughly 2 years. How, I have no idea. Finally, against my wishes, our insurance company settled with these scumbags for a "nuisance settlement."

I'm sure there are some PI attorneys who are decent people. But, as a group, I generally see them as payday lenders in a suit. And I just have virtually no respect for our whole tort industry -- especially when they try to tell us it's about delivering justice.
2 years?!!!! that case was still a baby. that case is a mess. it's worker's comp bc the guy got hurt on the job. then they want to know if there was a product defect so they could make a third party pi claim and obviously whether the auger had been fcked with in the years since installation etc. that's a mess of a case. comp is easy as most places have a meat chart that prescribes the value of your injury. back the most. a toe not so much. etc. then there will be liens and setoffs involved if there is a third party cases in relation to the comp payout etc.

it's a racket of a business for many out there flipping bullshit soft tissue injuries, but there are also people whose lives and the lives of those they love who are permanently altered through the negligence of businesses and no fault of their own. trial lawyers are the greatest regulators of all. and before you hold them in too much contempt i promise you that is as miserable of a way to make a buck as anything going. not an easy job at all

2 years?!!!! that case was still a baby. that case is a mess. it's worker's comp bc the guy got hurt on the job. then they want to know if there was a product defect so they could make a third party pi claim and obviously whether the auger had been fcked with in the years since installation etc. that's a mess of a case. comp is easy as most places have a meat chart that prescribes the value of your injury. back the most. a toe not so much. etc. then there will be liens and setoffs involved if there is a third party cases in relation to the comp payout etc.

it's a racket of a business for many out there flipping bullshit soft tissue issues, but there are also people whose lives and the lives of those they love who are permanently altered through the negligence of businesses and no fault of their own. trial lawyers are the greatest regulators of all. and before you hold them in too much contempt i promise you that is as miserable of a way to make a buck as anything going. not an easy job at all
Oh it’s terrible.

that my friend is a very loaded question and dependent upon many factors and states. the biggest change in that world is advertising. so now you have the morgan and morgan firms where they sign up thousands and thousands of cases and it's certainly true that they have lawyers who do nothing but send out demands and negotiate settlements. but outside of that most pi lawyers go to court. insurance adjusters @larsIU and defense whether captive or outside know whether you've tried cases and that impacts the value. what's more it depends on laws. in some states it used to be that the jury didn't get to hear that the P had medical insurance. so you could have a guy with an ER bill and chiro bill totaling $5k. settle it for $15k on a letter and make five grand in a few hours. No need for court. that law changed in places and now that offer from the insurance company might be $5k. better to file and do a quick and dirty trial. Med mal you almost always have to go to court and fight like an animal

some states have no fault where up to a certain threshold you pursue your own carrier via pip. that won't make much of a living. better go to court.

so i will say most pi lawyers have not only been in a courtroom but spent considerable time in a courtroom if they're actual pi lawyers. now @BradStevens swings for the fences with the class action shit. trial lawyers but difft breed
My favorite attorney of all time. Frank Cirillo. Connecticut.

God he hated his job, his practice, and most of the free world. Said the same thing about it just being about advertising. That was mid 2000’s.

I think he finally retired. Or he’s dead. I have no idea. Great phone call though. Five mins settling four cases and an hour shooting the shit.

it's a racket of a business for many out there flipping bullshit soft tissue injuries, but there are also people whose lives and the lives of those they love who are permanently altered through the negligence of businesses and no fault of their own. trial lawyers are the greatest regulators of all. and before you hold them in too much contempt i promise you that is as miserable of a way to make a buck as anything going. not an easy job at all
I get it.

And, after many years of careful observation and consideration, I’ve decided to hold them in contempt.

We have customers who deal with patent trolls and ADA suits.

Around 2015 we had a string of clients who were hit with lawsuits regarding the search function on their eCommerce sites. The claim was a patent infringement that started with IBM. When IBM was fighting it, they went after every large user if the software to pressure IBM to settle.

Once a year, we'll get a call from a client who has been sued about not being able to use the tab key or a contrasting color not being appropriate. It’s by the same blind attorney that sues everyone over ADA complaints and makes a nice living getting settlements from folks who don't have the correct ADA compliance language on the site.

The claims are just to get some go away and leave me alone money.

Last edited:
My favorite attorney of all time. Frank Cirillo. Connecticut.

God he hated his job, his practice, and most of the free world. Said the same thing about it just being about advertising. That was mid 2000’s.

I think he finally retired. Or he’s dead. I have no idea. Great phone call though. Five mins settling four cases and an hour shooting the shit.

I get it.

And, after many years of careful observation and consideration, I’ve decided to hold them in contempt.
You should try med mal. The doctor decides whether to settle. Not the carrier. Fing brutal

Around 2015 we had a string of clients who were hit with lawsuits regarding the search function on their eCommerce sites.

Once a year, we'll get a call from a client who has been sued by the same blind attorney that sues everyone with an ADA complaint about not being able to use the tab key or a contrasting color not being appropriate.

🤣🤣 I shouldn’t laugh but damn 🤣🤣

Around 2015 we had a string of clients who were hit with lawsuits regarding the search function on their eCommerce sites.

Once a year, we'll get a call from a client who has been sued by the same blind attorney that sues everyone with an ADA complaint about not being able to use the tab key or a contrasting color not being appropriate.

The tab key 🤣🤣🤣

You should try med mal. The doctor decides whether to settle. Not the carrier. Fing brutal
That’s nuts.

From a dollars and cents standpoint, settling with the auger dumbass made sense. From a morality standpoint, I’d have fought it as far as I needed to in order to find a sensible judge who saw it for the shakedown it was.

I think the settlement was $15k. And I’m sure that was cheaper than any possible outcome from contesting it.

We need better judges who are more willing to look at something like that and tell them get that crap out of their docket.

That’s nuts.

From a dollars and cents standpoint, settling with the auger dumbass made sense. From a morality standpoint, I’d have fought it as far as I needed to in order to find a sensible judge who saw it for the shakedown it was.

I think the settlement was $15k. And I’m sure that was cheaper than any possible outcome from contesting it.

We need better judges who are more willing to look at something like that and tell them get that crap out of their docket.
if the settlement was $15k you won. that's nuisance money for a lost wing

That’s nuts.

lost arm at the shoulder is worth about $140k in comp. now it varies by state but generally. so maybe this guy pulled $150k for no arm. that ain't shit brother. oh and the lawyer's fees and costs. maybe he walked away with a hundred k.

• Sad
Reactions: BradStevens
lost arm at the shoulder is worth about $140k in comp. now it varies by state but generally. so maybe this guy pulled $150k for no arm. that ain't shit brother. oh and the lawyer's fees and costs. maybe he walked away with a hundred k.
Yeah, but he wasn’t even working for us.

We were just one of the contractors who performed part of the installation 8 years prior - and there were no issues with the work we did. Had nothing to do with it.

And he gets $15K from us for it. It’s disgraceful.

Quite frankly, in a just world, he wouldn’t be entitled to Work Comp either…not for something that was clearly his own fault.

if the settlement was $15k you won. that's nuisance money for a lost wing
Surely you realize that most people would not see it this way.

He should’ve been paying us (or our insurance company, in this case) for filing a frivolous lawsuit. And if the judge had 10 brain cells, he’d have tossed it the first time he read the complaint.

Last edited:
Surely you realize that no normal person would see it this way.

He should’ve been paying us (or our insurance company, in this case) for filing a frivolous lawsuit. And if the judge had 10 brain cells, he’d have tossed it the first time he read the complaint.
Without knowing the facts I have no idea re whether it was frivolous. I know $15k is nothing. So I guess in that way I’ve been poisoned. Cameras help immensely

Without knowing the facts I have no idea re whether it was frivolous. I know $15k is nothing. So I guess in that way I’ve been poisoned. Cameras help immensely
You know enough facts. Our work had zero to do with the thing getting jammed up. Nobody even really tried to make the case that it did. They had an engineer examine everything. His report didn’t even mention the part we played.

Let me put it this way….I don’t know what a lawyer or judge who has no knowledge about these machines or the kind of work that goes into making them work would say. They’re operating from a total dearth of technical understanding.

But anybody who does know about these things would laugh at the suggestion that there was merit to our being included in the list of defendants.

Surely you realize that most people would not see it this way.

The shysters won't let us use the British Rule. That would stop most of the nonsense.

Reactions: crazed_hoosier2
The shysters won't let us use the British Rule. That would stop most of the nonsense.
I could not agree more, good sir.

Forget damages caps. Just put in Loser Pays provisions and it would definitely help to weed out most of the game-the-system lawsuits.

You know enough facts. Our work had zero to do with the thing getting jammed up. Nobody even really tried to make the case that it did. They had an engineer examine everything. His report didn’t even mention the part we played.

Let me put it this way….I don’t know what a lawyer or judge who has no knowledge about these machines or the kind of work that goes into making them work would say. They’re operating from a total dearth of technical understanding.

But anybody who does know about these things would laugh at the suggestion that there was merit to our being included in the list of defendants.
The judge is what it is. You don’t get a specialized judge. The experts convince the judge. I’m sure the engineer’s report disappointed the plaintiff and that’s why the case settled for peanuts.

I know your feelings and I don’t discount them. P lawyers fund everything they do. They take risk with every case. Time. Aggravation. And their own money. I know a lot about those factory, manufacturing type cases. That lawyer lost his ass settling for $15k. I know it doesn’t seem that way but you won

I could not agree more, good sir.

Forget damages caps. Just put in Loser Pays provisions and it would definitely help to weed out most of the game-the-system lawsuits.
There are mechanisms like that in certain places. Offer of judgment that is actually for fees and not just costs etc. but remember the p is usually some poor hoosier fighting a well heeled insured d. It’s why I’ve been a hardcore democrat most of my life. I believe in it. I just can’t stand progressive bs

The judge is what it is. You don’t get a specialized judge. The experts convince the job. I’m sure the engineer’s report disappointed the plaintiff and that’s why the case settled for peanuts.

I know your feelings and I don’t discount them. P lawyers find everything they do. They take risk with every case. Time. Aggravation. And their own money. I know a lot about those factory, manufacturing type cases. That lawyer lost his ass settling for $15k. I know it doesn’t seem that way but you won
We weren’t the only defendant. That’s just what he got from us.

He was harassing all kinds of parties to get money for a client who violated company safety policies and made the brilliant decision to stick his arm in a powerful machine…instead of simply reporting that it was malfunctioning.

We weren’t the only defendant. That’s just what he got from us.

He was harassing all kinds of parties to get money for a client who violated company safety policies and made the brilliant decision to stick his arm in a powerful machine…instead of simply reporting that it was malfunctioning.
Sounds like you had shitty lawyers then. $15k was less than the cost of defense and risk so they said f it

There are mechanisms like that in certain places. Offer of judgment that is actually for fees and not just costs etc. but remember the p is usually some poor hoosier fighting a well heeled insured d. It’s why I’ve been a hardcore democrat most of my life. I believe in it. I just can’t stand progressive bs
If a verdict (or settlement) is just, that’s fine. I’m not talking about situations that warrant appropriate damages. I have no interest in making obstacles for ordinary people to receive justice.

But that isn’t the system we have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT