ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith

Why do folks keep bringing him up? He needed a fresh start and I think his toxic attitude and lackadaisical play and effort while he was at IU would have done nothing for this team and not changed our results 1 iota. Sounds like he landed in a good spot where he could blend more and not required to be a team leader, is my guess. I've watched AR a few times and he's never jumped out at me other than as playing his role well. Glad he seemingly found a good situation, but as bad as we've been offensively, I truly don't think he'd have made a hill of beans of a difference. Misery loves company.

The only thing toxic with Justin Smith was the coaching he was receiving at IU. You are correct he wouldn’t of made much of difference, because he wasn’t the issue. The issue is/was Archie.

Maybe, but I think the problem with all 3 of those guys lies between their own ears. I definitely don't think Archie dealt with them effectively, but what has our wonderboy Brad Stevens gotten out of RL? Devonte, I assume, is tearing it up wherever he is playing nowadays? No, I'll bet not.
Players need coaching that sets high expectations and accountability. Archie apparently has done neither. Players haven't developed and Archie literally held no one accountable for poor performance. If he did, DG shouldn't have ever moved off the bench.

Players need coaching that sets high expectations and accountability. Archie apparently has done neither. Players haven't developed and Archie literally held no one accountable for poor performance. If he did, DG shouldn't have ever moved off the bench.
Then there’s the risk of missing out on Good Devonte.

I get not liking his game.. but let’s be honest... where would this team have been last year without DG? Wouldn’t have made the tournament that’s for sure.

Would you say this years team wouldn’t be better with a shot creator like DG?

If last years team would have made the tournament and this years doesn’t when the players we lost are either in the tournament at another school or getting paid to play I don’t really see how you can try and make a point that either player didn’t make this team better.

Justin or Devonte. Our problems are at the head of the program nothing more or less
For every shot created there were multiple missed floaters, stupid passes, and jacked up three's when better shots could have been had. Relying on DG for anything was futile, he was so inconsistent. Inevitably if he made some great shots and a great pass he would eventually go cold and make stupid passes. The tournament appearance last year would have been brief.

When he transferred I thought, "oh well" never liked him much as a player, IU doesn't need him, bye. Now I'm chuckling at myself realizing he was the smart one getting out and leaving an underachieving program. Don't blame him from running as fast as he could away from Archie, and most of the IU players who give up any time they face adversity. Can't say I'm a fan of Justin, but give him credit for seeing the writing on the wall after last year. He's getting the last laugh now.

I saw his stats for this year - 12.5 ppg, 53% 2-pt shooting and 22% from 3. I’m sure most of his FG’s were dunks or baskets around the rim. Frankly, he wasn’t that much better than he was here.

I'm no JS fan.

Half way through the season I would have agreed with you.

But he was much better in-conference at Arkansas v. in-conference at IU.

Per every 40 minutes played this year v. last year in-conference:

Ark: .612 on 2s, .333 on 3s (avg. .09 attempts/40M), 8.2 rebs, 2.5 assists, 1.4 steals, .6 BSs, 1.8 TOs, 15.4 pts

IU: .523 on 2s, .227 on 3s (avg 1.4 attempts/40M), 6.5 rebs, 1.3 assists, .8 steals, .3 BSs, 2.1 TOs, 12.3 pts

Which just goes to show you, Archie sucks.

I'm no JS fan.

Half way through the season I would have agreed with you.

But he was much better in-conference at Arkansas v. in-conference at IU.

Per every 40 minutes played this year v. last year in-conference:

Ark: .612 on 2s, .333 on 3s (avg. .09 attempts/40M), 8.2 rebs, 2.5 assists, 1.4 steals, .6 BSs, 1.8 TOs, 15.4 pts

IU: .523 on 2s, .227 on 3s (avg 1.4 attempts/40M), 6.5 rebs, 1.3 assists, .8 steals, .3 BSs, 2.1 TOs, 12.3 pts

Which just goes to show you, Archie sucks.

Or could be the SEC isn’t as strong as the BIG and he is a year older. But keep that hate in your heart brother. Let it keep you warm at night.

For every shot created there were multiple missed floaters, stupid passes, and jacked up three's when better shots could have been had. Relying on DG for anything was futile, he was so inconsistent. Inevitably if he made some great shots and a great pass he would eventually go cold and make stupid passes. The tournament appearance last year would have been brief.

complete agree but it’s more than we had this year.. he wasn’t the problem..personally don’t think any players are the problem.. it’s on the coach to develop the players

Reactions: Champs1976
Or could be the SEC isn’t as strong as the BIG and he is a year older. But keep that hate in your heart brother. Let it keep you warm at night.
It could mean that, but he was still our leading returner in terms of minutes and a guy who definitely would’ve helped this team. Some of knew it then, and it’s even more obvious today.

Reactions: demunn and Beorik
It could mean that, but he was still our leading returner in terms of minutes and a guy who definitely would’ve helped this team. Some of knew it then, and it’s even more obvious today.

I don’t disagree with that at all. He would have helped. If he and Brunk are both available this season we look totally different up front, Hunter slides to the 3, Franklin the 2 and imo we are a better team.

I hate when people say if I had that guys body and my mind I would be Michael Jordan..... But in Justins case, hell, put in any name you want in D1 that trys hard and works at it. Put that brain in Justin Smith, and you got yourself a lottery pick. Justin does not care that much about basketball. Exact opposite of what we need at IU.

On the contrary. Justin seemed to care deeply about continuing to shoot at least one 3 per game to keep up that 24% average. I wonder how many years he would need to play to figure out he can't shoot threes. I'm thinking 14. At that point, I think Justin says: "you know what, I'm going to,hold onto to,this orange and see about passing it to someone who can shoot".

• Haha
Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Why do folks keep bringing him up? He needed a fresh start and I think his toxic attitude and lackadaisical play and effort while he was at IU would have done nothing for this team and not changed our results 1 iota. Sounds like he landed in a good spot where he could blend more and not required to be a team leader, is my guess. I've watched AR a few times and he's never jumped out at me other than as playing his role well. Glad he seemingly found a good situation, but as bad as we've been offensively, I truly don't think he'd have made a hill of beans of a difference. Misery loves company.
Maybe it’s because they have a coach that utilizes his players right. You think maybe their coach goes on 10 point runs but doesn’t sub players in to interrupt the flow. Our coach subs players in at the dumbest times way too often. That might have been why Smith had a so called attitude. I mean look at TJD who doesn’t smile, I guess his attitude is bad also. Try the one constant on those teams. It’s Miller!

On the contrary. Justin seemed to care deeply about continuing to shoot at least one 3 per game to keep up that 24% average. I wonder how many years he would need to play to figure out he can't shoot threes. I'm thinking 14. At that point, I think Justin says: "you know what, I'm going to,hold onto to,this orange and see about passing it to someone who can shoot".
I’m sorry that you obviously think the rest of the team shot high % from behind the line you clueless idiot.

Reactions: Radio Zero
So, besides TJD, who on IU is on the SEC all league team? JSmith leaving really hurt IU, regardless of the apologists minimizing his departure.

That is a difficult question to answer because it would completely depend on who they played for and of course what their numbers would be for that team in the sec.

Off the top of my head I would say Race Thompson who has similar numbers to Smith right now but a couple less ppg could be depending on which team he went to. Al Durham and Franklin both are averaging close to the same ppg as Smith so if their numbers increased slightly by being on a team without a TJD and playing in the sec then they could be.

I saw his stats for this year - 12.5 ppg, 53% 2-pt shooting and 22% from 3. I’m sure most of his FG’s were dunks or baskets around the rim. Frankly, he wasn’t that much better than he was here.

I think you forgot to mention that he is also averaging 7 rb's a game and has more assists than turnovers on the season. One more stat that I think matters is that his team is 20-1 when he has been healthy. For a poor leader with a bad attitude, his team sure does seem to play well when he is there.

How can you look at how incompetent we were inside this year and not believe we probably are weakly in the tournament with him this year. Like him or not, his leaving contributed to us sucking even worse this year.

The only thing toxic with Justin Smith was the coaching he was receiving at IU. You are correct he wouldn’t of made much of difference, because he wasn’t the issue. The issue is/was Archie.
Exactly. You put JS on a different team with a different coach and balanced roster, and look what you get. If people can't juxtapose JS on Indiana with JS on Arkansas and see what is wrong with IU's program right now, I give up.

Reactions: demunn
Crimson faced IU fans that said "good riddance" when JSmith transferred just had no clue...

Under Archie, IU has always had toxic attitude and lackadaisical effort. Often this is targeted at an individual player, DG, JS, RL. But when said attitude and effort keeps shifting to a new player every year, but the problem persists... maybe it's not the players. Just a thought.
I always thought it was a coaching problem. Every program has kids that are rough around the edges. A good coach knows how to harness their talents and work on their mental game.
Archie couldn’t do either.

JSmith just rang up 29/13 in the NCAA Tourney. Could IU have used JS inside with only Race and TJD that could play there? Keep your hate in your heart brother, as JS proved you and many other posters as fools. He can flat play.

JSmith just rang up 29/13 in the NCAA Tourney. Could IU have used JS inside with only Race and TJD that could play there? Keep your hate in your heart brother, as JS proved you and many other posters as fools. He can flat play.

Fools? Have you read any of my post on him? We absolutely could have used him and I have never denied that. With Brunk going down it made losing him HUGE. I just said that averaging 2 point and 1 rebound more on the year didn’t demonstrate that Coach Miller was a bad player developer which is what other poster were trying to say. His slight improvement in numbers is more likely the result of his role on his new team (no TJD), another year older and stronger, and the difference in game to game competition. I am rooting for Smith to succeed and hope he ends his career on a high.

Reactions: asindc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT