ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Smith

Why do folks keep bringing him up? He needed a fresh start and I think his toxic attitude and lackadaisical play and effort while he was at IU would have done nothing for this team and not changed our results 1 iota. Sounds like he landed in a good spot where he could blend more and not required to be a team leader, is my guess. I've watched AR a few times and he's never jumped out at me other than as playing his role well. Glad he seemingly found a good situation, but as bad as we've been offensively, I truly don't think he'd have made a hill of beans of a difference. Misery loves company.

Why do folks keep bringing him up? He needed a fresh start and I think his toxic attitude and lackadaisical play and effort while he was at IU would have done nothing for this team and not changed our results 1 iota. Sounds like he landed in a good spot where he could blend more and not required to be a team leader, is my guess. I've watched AR a few times and he's never jumped out at me other than as playing his role well. Glad he seemingly found a good situation, but as bad as we've been offensively, I truly don't think he'd have made a hill of beans of a difference. Misery loves company.

Under Archie, IU has always had toxic attitude and lackadaisical effort. Often this is targeted at an individual player, DG, JS, RL. But when said attitude and effort keeps shifting to a new player every year, but the problem persists... maybe it's not the players. Just a thought.

The Toxic attitude was attributed to he knew Archie was in over his head!

I hate when people say if I had that guys body and my mind I would be Michael Jordan..... But in Justins case, hell, put in any name you want in D1 that trys hard and works at it. Put that brain in Justin Smith, and you got yourself a lottery pick. Justin does not care that much about basketball. Exact opposite of what we need at IU.

Reactions: kmathum and kkott
The Toxic attitude was attributed to he knew Archie was in over his head!

Maybe to a degree for sure, and Archie didn't help anything, but Justin had his own effort issues that no coach will ever bring out of him. Sure he underachieved at IU, but shit thats like saying the sky is blue! Like that morning rhyme?

I hate when people say if I had that guys body and my mind I would be Michael Jordan..... But in Justins case, hell, put in any name you want in D1 that trys hard and works at it. Put that brain in Justin Smith, and you got yourself a lottery pick. Justin does not care that much about basketball. Exact opposite of what we need at IU.
Didn’t you read my post?

Didn’t you read my post?
ya you said amazing what coaching can do and Archie created the toxic environment. I agree with all that and that Archie sucks. But the bigger point I was making is so does Justin, and having him on this team wouldn't help anything. Justin doesn't care about basketball as much as I do.

Under Archie, IU has always had toxic attitude and lackadaisical effort. Often this is targeted at an individual player, DG, JS, RL. But when said attitude and effort keeps shifting to a new player every year, but the problem persists... maybe it's not the players. Just a thought.
Maybe, but I think the problem with all 3 of those guys lies between their own ears. I definitely don't think Archie dealt with them effectively, but what has our wonderboy Brad Stevens gotten out of RL? Devonte, I assume, is tearing it up wherever he is playing nowadays? No, I'll bet not.

Do you think it’s possible that he wasn’t the problem, but rather that he was reacting to the negative culture within the program? I don’t think there’s any coincidence that his departure meant he thrived in a new environment while the program he left continued to sink.

ya you said amazing what coaching can do and Archie created the toxic environment. I agree with all that and that Archie sucks. But the bigger point I was making is so does Justin, and having him on this team wouldn't help anything. Justin doesn't care about basketball as much as I do.
He cares so little that he joins a new program and is immediately all conference? Strange. He seems to care plenty.

I agree

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
He cares so little that he joins a new program and is immediately all conference? Strange. He seems to care plenty.

In order to do it immediately, yes, he had to do while playing in his 4th year. I didn't expect him to play 5 years and contribute next year, maybe you did. He could have been 1st team in any conference last year if he had worked as hard as Vic when he was in college.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Nailed it, plus unless you are already a pro and just biding time here, this is not a system in which pro's develop. The packline will be oh so useful to your NBA development, because AM can sell that to anybody not retarded ... hence our bonanza recruiting class. They need to drop AM like a hot pan

Reactions: Lucy01
In order to do it immediately, yes, he had to do while playing in his 4th year. I didn't expect him to play 5 years and contribute next year, maybe you did. He could have been 1st team in any conference last year if he had worked as hard as Vic when he was in college.
Lots of players would be really good if they worked as hard as Vic. But JS led us in minutes for a reason, and it was easy to see his departure was going to have a negative impact on us. Good for him that he found success so quickly, but no one should be surprised.

Reactions: Bippy
I still view Smith's departure as a glaring indictment of our program's internal issues. Returning starting seniors with massive playing time and production ahead of them shouldn't be longing to leave IU after 3 seasons.
Ha . Watch this year..
If A.M. is here or not....Transfer portal will be busy..
I'm praying for 6 out ..6 new in !
And that includes any of last year's freshmen..

Reactions: Lucy01
Do you think it’s possible that he wasn’t the problem, but rather that he was reacting to the negative culture within the program? I don’t think there’s any coincidence that his departure meant he thrived in a new environment while the program he left continued to sink.
I agree with this. Let me add that Archie created a negative environment because he was never comfortable with the job. Who knows exactly why not, but it's clearly the wrong place for him and he's clearly the wrong guy for IU. And it wouldn't shock me to see Archie succeed somewhere else.

Reactions: Birnk403
You do realize he's averaging 2points a game more, 1 more rebound and still shooting a wonderful 20% from 3 and 60% from the FT line. Yep, the new coach has really pushed him over the top! Or, the SEC just sucks.
I don’t give two Sh-ts
about that stuff Little Archie can’t coach!

Maybe, but I think the problem with all 3 of those guys lies between their own ears. I definitely don't think Archie dealt with them effectively, but what has our wonderboy Brad Stevens gotten out of RL? Devonte, I assume, is tearing it up wherever he is playing nowadays? No, I'll bet not.

DG is playing well overseas

I don’t give two Sh-ts
about that stuff Little Archie can’t coach!

I don’t think that is what he is arguing. He is saying you cannot point to one transfer leaving and averaging 2 points and 1 rebound more per game as an example of Coach Miller sucking.

Its silly to point at someone being all conference in another conference and statistically be almost the same player he was at IU and saying “wow, look he left and is magically an all conference player now. Archie sucks!”

Smith is statistically who he was at IU only in a weaker conference.

Not saying we couldn’t have used him. Just saying this is not an example of Coach Miller sucking.

I don’t think that is what he is arguing. He is saying you cannot point to one transfer leaving and averaging 2 points and 1 rebound more per game as an example of Coach Miller sucking.

Its silly to point at someone being all conference in another conference and statistically be almost the same player he was at IU and saying “wow, look he left and is magically an all conference player now. Archie sucks!”

Smith is statistically who he was at IU only in a weaker conference.

Not saying we couldn’t have used him. Just saying this is not an example of Coach Miller sucking.

I always liked justin and see him as a regrettable loss.

None here are on the team so we don't know what the atmosphere or culture is and I roll my eyes at those who pretend they do.

That said, something is not working whether it is chemistry, culture or simply the poor construction of the roster.

Best wishes and congrats to Justin.

Reactions: Beorik
I always liked justin and see him as a regrettable loss.

None here are on the team so we don't know what the atmosphere or culture is and I roll my eyes at those who pretend they do.

That said, something is not working whether it is chemistry, culture or simply the poor construction of the roster.

Best wishes and congrats to Justin.

Agree with that. And agree that with Brunk injured we would have probably been a better team with him.

I also wish him luck.

Agree with that. And agree that with Brunk injured we would have probably been a better team with him.

I also wish him luck.

Brunk is missed more than his skillset would dictate, in part because of Justin's departure.

Reactions: Beorik
DG is playing well overseas
I have no doubt he's getting his. Is his team at the top of their league? Is it translating to NBA/stateside interest? I have no idea, but I just think he's a selfish, streaky player. Hope I'm 100% wrong and he kills it.

Strange though to me because I think of his brother, as being 2 of the consumate team first role player guys. And it seems wherever he goes his teams win.

Justin Smith is a high vertical leaper with no jumpshot and no FT shot. On a team with no shooter his main weakness was magnified.

Justin Smith is a high vertical leaper with no jumpshot and no FT shot. On a team with no shooter his main weakness was mmagnified.
I saw his stats for this year - 12.5 ppg, 53% 2-pt shooting and 22% from 3. I’m sure most of his FG’s were dunks or baskets around the rim. Frankly, he wasn’t that much better than he was here.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I saw his stats for this year - 12.5 ppg, 53% 2-pt shooting and 22% from 3. I’m sure most of his FG’s were dunks or baskets around the rim. Frankly, he wasn’t that much better than he was here.
How many times did you see him play?

I have no doubt he's getting his. Is his team at the top of their league? Is it translating to NBA/stateside interest? I have no idea, but I just think he's a selfish, streaky player. Hope I'm 100% wrong and he kills it.

Strange though to me because I think of his brother, as being 2 of the consumate team first role player guys. And it seems wherever he goes his teams win.

I get not liking his game.. but let’s be honest... where would this team have been last year without DG? Wouldn’t have made the tournament that’s for sure.

Would you say this years team wouldn’t be better with a shot creator like DG?

If last years team would have made the tournament and this years doesn’t when the players we lost are either in the tournament at another school or getting paid to play I don’t really see how you can try and make a point that either player didn’t make this team better.

Justin or Devonte. Our problems are at the head of the program nothing more or less

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT