ADVERTISEMENT

Just for the sake of it........

I really don't understand the unbridled optimism for Lagow. He is an unproven JC QB who selected the ONLY Power 5 offer he received. We keep saying on here, so and so had interest in Lagow, but very few made offers, I don't understand thinking he is the guy. He could get beat out, he may not be very competitive. OK St. was competitive and he left........
He was offered by LSU, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State asked if he would return. All two days before signing wanting to flip him and he stuck with his commitment. Sister played at LSU for four years as starter, mother went to Texas A&M, and he has a ton of friends at Oklahoma State. Memphis also asked if he would flip and he said he had a team in Indiana. As for competitiveness, played on arguably the least talented team with fewer weapons in a juco conference that is loaded with D1 talent and still racked up yardage and was rated the top pocket passer in the nation by at least one of the numerous rating companies. Came and practiced with the team before the bowl game and then went to the game to support his team mates and will drive 13 hours and arrive Wednesday, passing in distance all those last minute schools that tried to flip him due to loyalty and giving his word.

Last edited:
When I saw on twitter he was at the game I thought that was a cool thing to do! Looks a lot like Sudfeld in size and arm strength but a little more mobile, I'm excited to see what he has to offer!

He was offered by LSU, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State asked if he would return. All two days before signing wanting to flip him and he stuck with his commitment. Sister played at LSU for four years as starter, mother went to Texas A&M, and he has a ton of friends at Oklahoma State. Memphis also asked if he would flip and he said he had a team in Indiana. As for competitiveness, played on arguably the least talented team with fewer weapons in a juco conference that is loaded with D1 talent and still racked up yardage and was rated the top pocket passer in the nation by at least one of the numerous rating companies. Came and practiced with the team before the bowl game and then went to the game to support his team mates and will drive 13 hours and arrive Wednesday, passing in distance all those last minute schools that tried to flip him due to loyalty and giving his word.

Without his commitment it would be a rough winter. He is enabling alot of optimism on this board regarding back to back bowl seasons.

I think folks will be happy at the end. He has learned four offense schemes in two years so he should come around fairly fast. If he will learn to slide and avoid contact he is a real 6'6" and 248lbs so with no exaggeration of stats, an ability to pick up an offense, and not going to be out worked, I think with the offensive weapons that are there or coming the fans could be very pleased.

Reactions: Fenny72
I think folks will be happy at the end. He has learned four offense schemes in two years so he should come around fairly fast. If he will learn to slide and avoid contact he is a real 6'6" and 248lbs so with no exaggeration of stats, an ability to pick up an offense, and not going to be out worked, I think with the offensive weapons that are there or coming the fans could be very pleased.
I, for one, am very excited that he chose IU. A few of us can recall IU being very competitive in the B1G during the Mallory years. Unfortunately many cannot and tend to be pessimistic. Many cannot see the positive trajectory CKW has the program going in. He's doing a great job for a first time HC. Now if the D could just get to be average-look out!

Didn't his Plano 7 on 7 team win State one year? That's all the stats I need.

I've been clamoring for years on this board to get a Texas 3 or 4 star QB for years. I'm stoked about this. He is PERFECT for our offense.

It was the only time a Plano team has won the state championship. If it makes everyone more comfortable, one of the coaches that won a Texas state champion team told him out of high school if he had waited to commit he would have had 30 D1 offers and a four or five star. All that is useless now. But that is all history. OSU wanted him to stay, and then tried to get him back, but he left to get experience. You won't be able to outwork him.

It was the only time a Plano team has won the state championship. If it makes everyone more comfortable, one of the coaches that won a Texas state champion team told him out of high school if he had waited to commit he would have had 30 D1 offers and a four or five star. All that is useless now. But that is all history. OSU wanted him to stay, and then tried to get him back, but he left to get experience. You won't be able to outwork him.

Good inside info "klagow".

If you ever hit the Boulevard in the fall, let me know. We usually hit 3 or 4 games a year if they don't interfere w Hoosier gametimes. Always looking for someone else to talk Hoosier football at the tailgate.

Wow. I love this kid already. This is going to be fun to watch and follow for the next two years.

I am guessing you are family, based on the moniker. If I may offer a word of advice, (you can take it or leave it, much like everything you see on message boards) but, I would try to stay off the message boards. Advise the rest of the family too. You will draw unnecessary attention to Richard and you don't want to make him an object of scorn, based on things you may say, or someone else may say as a proud family member. It is best to stay off the message boards and get really thick skin. Also, the #1 thing - Don't let "Mom" find the website either (Voice of experience) . With that said,

I'm all for the kid doing well, but I am having trouble finding any mention of LSU, OK St., or A&M making offers. I saw where LSU asked to send a tape, that is a far cry from any offer. Not saying it didn't happen, but I just figured there would be at least a mention of it somewhere, anywhere..... that would be big news, especially with the QB situation at A&M. It could have been the old, "if we...would you..." which is not really an offer per se. My son got that from UCLA (they asked through coaches, "If we offered, would you take it?" He said, "Yes", he would have, but they never officially "offered") Also, I have not been able to find the rating service calling him the top pocket passer, if you have that info???, best I could find is he is the #6 JUCO QB by Rivals, #5 JUCO by Scout, #3 JUCO Pocket passer by 24-7, but #89 in overall JUCO players rankings, the only place I saw Lagow listed as the #1 QB was on his own bio at Twitter, .............., but to each his own I guess, it's good to have confidence. Good luck to him.

BTW, those of you that think 7 on 7 means anything, wise up. That is for parents, players and fans to keep them occupied during the summer. I have seen the winners of 7 on 7 here in Florida, California and Arizona and their top QB's in these 7 on 7 tournaments. Many times they don't do squat when it was time to put the pads on...... and I saw others who individually didn't do well, like Marcus Mariotta and his St. Louis HS team in 7 on 7 in Phoenix, Las Vegas and LA. No coaches cared that he didn't do well at 7 on 7. But he was the object of comments from parents, players etc. , "The Oregon kid doesn't look that good." etc. When it was time to put pads on, he did OK. As an aside,That year in LA, the winners of the USC 7 on 7 finished their regular season 3-7 and the QB did nothing. The other division "winner" was a 4 star QB now on his 4th school and hasn't played but three plays his entire career. The ASU 7 on "winners" finished the regular season 4-5 and their QB hasn't played a down, except in mop up and is on his third school. 7 on 7 is a pat on the back and nothing else.

Last edited:
Reactions: WisslerIII
I am bowing out. As for offers , it was two days before signing and they were checking to see if he would flip and called his coach and him. It doesn't matter, you can only play for one team and he wanted to be in Wilson's offense.

I am bowing out. As for offers , it was two days before signing and they were checking to see if he would flip and called his coach and him. It doesn't matter, you can only play for one team and he wanted to be in Wilson's offense.
Good for him, the program needs committed players, those are always the best kind:D

klagow, hope to see you back on a regular basis, nice to get scoop from people in the know!! Not sure what his agenda is on wanting to see print for his own sake but most are thrilled w him the top juco choosing IU!!

Thank you, but having had kids play D1 it is best for me to keep a low profile. I will say that the staff and their knowledge was a clear separation factor for him. He loves the offense and the confidence and directness of coach Wilson. He is also correct about 7on7 and the real impact. But most of the kids that fail in college were not playing in one of the toughest high school districts in the nation, they typically are not 6'6", and 7on7 is deceiving in some cases because it allows QB's to look good who won't be able to see over a line or they have not been playing at the top level of competition. As for the rankings, I think there were two that had him number one in JUCO but at the end of the day until the pads go on and you work your ass off they mean nothing. I have always held that teams that load up on nothing but 4 and 5 star players ultimately fail because they are loading up with kids who sometimes have spent too much time reading their own press and have forgotten how to work......sometimes, not always. He could have held out and told the school's he would consider their offer, but he found what he was looking for in Indiana and saw no reason to play that game.

Thank you, but having had kids play D1 it is best for me to keep a low profile. I will say that the staff and their knowledge was a clear separation factor for him. He loves the offense and the confidence and directness of coach Wilson. He is also correct about 7on7 and the real impact. But most of the kids that fail in college were not playing in one of the toughest high school districts in the nation, they typically are not 6'6", and 7on7 is deceiving in some cases because it allows QB's to look good who won't be able to see over a line or they have not been playing at the top level of competition. As for the rankings, I think there were two that had him number one in JUCO but at the end of the day until the pads go on and you work your ass off they mean nothing. I have always held that teams that load up on nothing but 4 and 5 star players ultimately fail because they are loading up with kids who sometimes have spent too much time reading their own press and have forgotten how to work......sometimes, not always. He could have held out and told the school's he would consider their offer, but he found what he was looking for in Indiana and saw no reason to play that game.
Sounds like a solid kid....good luck to him. I hope he brings a winning season to the Hoosiers. I meant no offense to Richard or his accomplishments. I just know from having kids in the same position (I had two playing D-1 at the same time on different Pac-12 schools) and my brother with his comments on the message boards:mad:, he didn't mean anything, he was just a proud uncle, but boy, did we get $hit for it though! Their mom read some of the comments from others about her babies and she was an upset "Momma Bear".:eek: I ended up blocking the websites from our computer so she couldn't get pissed off:p QB parents have to be a unique breed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT