ADVERTISEMENT

Julian Lewis

Sad Mask GIF by Pudgy Penguins

No offense to Jim, but he also made a post on the basketball board suggesting we were getting Hemenway (the Clemson transfer) and a big that wasn't Landon, with neither having set a visit to us, so his track record isn't the best right now.
He just learned who Jamison Kitna was a few weeks ago after "coincidentally" striking up a conversation so consider me not confident in his contacts. I'm of the belief that IU isn't actually in play and Juju/his team is paying lip service as a favor to Sunseri but I would love to be proved wrong.

Sad Mask GIF by Pudgy Penguins

He just learned who Jamison Kitna was a few weeks ago after "coincidentally" striking up a conversation so consider me not confident in his contacts. I'm of the belief that IU isn't actually in play and Juju/his team is paying lip service as a favor to Sunseri but I would love to be proved wrong.

I think he's generally interested, but I think he's generally interested in more schools then two.

It's gonna be tough to get him, but we can't get him if we're not in the ring. We're taking our shots.

The fact that IU is in his top two says we have a very good chance of having him come to IU. This year's team has to live up to coach Cignetti' expectation and Lewis would come to IU along with Elee another 5* but at DE.
It’s not a fact that IU is in his top 2 just because someone states that on the forums. We have little to no chance of getting him. Lewis is doing the qb coach a favor by giving us a visit.

It’s not a fact that IU is in his top 2 just because someone states that on the forums. We have little to no chance of getting him. Lewis is doing the qb coach a favor by giving us a visit.
Is it a favor to the coach that he is coming for a visit for the Maryland game? You need to understand things are different with this coaching staff.

That isn't a fact either. That was my guess initially but he has visited multiple times and talking about visiting for a game this fall.

Sounds like more than just a courtesy to the qb coach.

That isn't a fact either. That was my guess initially but he has visited multiple times and talking about visiting for a game this fall.

Sounds like more than just a courtesy to the qb coach.
So you’re willing to wager that Lewis is coming to IU?

So you’re willing to wager that Lewis is coming to IU?
From a pure statistical approach, that would be a terrible bet. You wanna give me odds and make it worth my time… I’ll take it. I’ve been a Debbie Downer on him signing with us but I’ll put money on it for the right odds.

That said, can you admit IU has a better chance than more than half the Big? Look, Vesuvius is excited as most fans are but appreciate what Vesuvius brings to the board and give him a break. It IS different to be in the mix. “Favor” visits happen, but typically not with Official Visits.

Ju Ju could commit blind to 99% of the teams today and be accepted. But that isn’t happening. He will commit to someone who has offered, and to someone he has visited. IU is on that list. Any school that has not been visited or offered will certainly not get his services. Therefore, IU has a better chance of landing him than they do.

The NIL could play a roll in IU’s favor also. If the payout is as large as is being thrown around, I can see a team like IU pay it because frankly, the player quality in our pool isn’t as deep and a Ju Ju type player could com and and bring more to IU that spreading it out over decent players. Auburn for instance, probably have a few 5-Stars getting some NIL from them therefore, they may not be able to payout without fear of losing others or their asking price going up since Ju Ju was getting more than them….

2 months ago this made me chuckle. I’m not laughing anymore. Coach C has done well in a short time

From a pure statistical approach, that would be a terrible bet. You wanna give me odds and make it worth my time… I’ll take it. I’ve been a Debbie Downer on him signing with us but I’ll put money on it for the right odds.

That said, can you admit IU has a better chance than more than half the Big? Look, Vesuvius is excited as most fans are but appreciate what Vesuvius brings to the board and give him a break. It IS different to be in the mix. “Favor” visits happen, but typically not with Official Visits.

Ju Ju could commit blind to 99% of the teams today and be accepted. But that isn’t happening. He will commit to someone who has offered, and to someone he has visited. IU is on that list. Any school that has not been visited or offered will certainly not get his services. Therefore, IU has a better chance of landing him than they do.

The NIL could play a roll in IU’s favor also. If the payout is as large as is being thrown around, I can see a team like IU pay it because frankly, the player quality in our pool isn’t as deep and a Ju Ju type player could com and and bring more to IU that spreading it out over decent players. Auburn for instance, probably have a few 5-Stars getting some NIL from them therefore, they may not be able to payout without fear of losing others or their asking price going up since Ju Ju was getting more than them….

2 months ago this made me chuckle. I’m not laughing anymore. Coach C has done well in a short time
I still think with the movement of players, regardless of where he lands as a freshman, a strong relationship with the coaching staff could be enough to lure him back in later years too.

1st off I’m not attacking Vesuvius just the “fact” he stated. 2nd if you need odds on Lewis coming to IU that makes my take that IU has little to no chance getting him something we agree on.
We need posters like Vesuvius that post all rainbows and unicorns to balance those of us that are more objective.

1st off I’m not attacking Vesuvius just the “fact” he stated. 2nd if you need odds on Lewis coming to IU that makes my take that IU has little to no chance getting him something we agree on.
We need posters like Vesuvius that post all rainbows and unicorns to balance those of us that are more objective.
Odds of say, 4 to 1, might be reasonable. 20% chance is more than 'little to no chance'.

Apparently you don't think the odds are nearly that good. ( But if 4-1 is 'no chance' to you at those odds, how about 3 to 1?)

You name the odds, see if you get takers.

You are trying too hard to make this black and white and acting like there is nothing in between.

No one is so certain that they think it is 100% chance of him coming to IU but that doesn't mean that everyone thinks there is little to no chance.

You are trying too hard to make this black and white and acting like there is nothing in between.

No one is so certain that they think it is 100% chance of him coming to IU but that doesn't mean that everyone thinks there is little to no chance.
I am optimistic realist, so I see IU having a shot at Lewis with this coaching staff; they had 5* Elee on campus so that is better than we have seen before. Coach Cignetti and his staff have the approach " why shouldn't IU pull in players as we are a state school in the B1G, I like the confidence in Cignetti and this coaching staff.

I can appreciate that also. But I don’t agree with your betting analysis. It isn’t little to no chance. Even betting on USC who holds his commitment, would be probably no worst than -125 right now. I’m sure it is on the market but I haven’t looked. Even Scottie S. of the PGA on Sundays within 4 strokes of the lead gives better odds than you are offering. And he has a better chance than “little to none” of winning. But that’s gambling. I hit my biggest pot a few years ago when McIlroy came back from -6 and won on Sunday. Over $35k. He was a long shot. Way better odds than you are offering

Objective! Sounds more like disingenuous. He only gets 5 officials. Out of all the high flying offers he holds I in no way believe he "wastes" 1 to deliver a favor. X coaches have opinions but also own more facts than the average fan.

Objective! Sounds more like disingenuous. He only gets 5 officials. Out of all the high flying offers he holds I in no way believe he "wastes" 1 to deliver a favor. X coaches have opinions but also own more facts than the average fan.
Are you saying we have a 50/50 chance? If we are 1 of only 2 possible choices why would Lewis need to concern himself with using all of his visits?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Are you saying we have a 50/50 chance? If we are 1 of only 2 possible choices why would Lewis need to concern himself with using all of his visits?
What a laffer. He's a high flying 17yo kid eating up all the attention thrown at him. He's gonna take all the officials possible. If the Bull Dogs were involved my view of the whole situation would be different.

He only gets 5 officials. Out of all the high flying offers he holds I in no way believe he "wastes" 1 to deliver a favor.
As I have no opinion to share regarding how strong Lewis's interest in IU is, I am posting the following just as a general FYI note: As of last summer, recruits can now take an unlimited number of official visits.

As I have no opinion to share regarding how strong Lewis's interest in IU is, I am posting the following just as a general FYI note: As of last summer, recruits can now take an unlimited number of official visits.
Thanks for this. I didn’t know it. So many changes to keep up with… I still think the answer is in requiring compensation for being stolen. I think it should mirror the NFL for tampering and be so severe that no one tampers for the sake of tampering. That way a recruit is more focused and sure of his commitments. The Universities brought this on themselves but the way it is now, it works against the integrity of the game in my opinion

Interesting. Still though, would be tough to fit many in. It is a weekend and if your parent(s) come along and you have one sibling or more that needs their weekends as well...it would be hard to fit in more than 7 or 8 (IMO). Just keeping track of all the schools and phone calls/text messages, etc., will give this a natural ceiling of visits.

Hey are you still in Japan? A good friend of mine from the service lives there as a civilian. I am moving next year to the Philippines. I only ask to inquire about the issues with China. Apparently, China is dumping Cyanide in the waters around the Philippines killing the fish and causing a don’t eat the fish order…. Those interested, my friends son was a Navy Corpsman sent to the Ukraine to train troops and according to my friend saw lots of combat. He came home to Camp Pendleton a few weeks ago and as all of us were planning a visit next week, his son committed suicide in Pendleton. Extremely hard to see the concern from DC …. I thought some should know. We have problems bigger than who you want to sleep with. Serious sacrifices are being made with little to no fanfare or justification.

UPDATE (FWIW)

Five-star USC football quarterback commit Julian Lewis spoke with 247Sports.com's Tom Loy at the check in for the Elite 11 Finals Tuesday. Lewis, who's been committed to USC for nearly a year, told Loy, "I'm still locked in with USC," after Loy asked Lewis about the official visit he took to Auburn last weekend.

Lewis' recruitment has been a roller coaster ride for USC fans filled with ups and downs. The Georgia native has officially visited Indiana and Auburn despite his USC pledge, and he's set to trek to Boulder, Colo. for his final official visit this weekend.

Following his trip to Colorado, Lewis hopes to shut down his recruitment once and for all before his final high school football season.

"That's still my plan to try and get it over with now, so I can focus on my last year," he told Loy.

Lewis' "locked in with USC comment" is obviously encouraging, and a source has indicated to USCFootball.com that Lincoln Riley is very confident Lewis will eventually sign with the Trojans. But there is still some work to be done behind the scenes.

Lewis' father, TC, told USCFootball.com Tuesday he's been in constant contact with Riley since landing in Los Angeles. Riley will likely make another in person recruiting pitch to Julian with him being in Los Angeles for the Elite 11 Finals this week. Ideally, that would lead to Lewis shutting down his recruitment once and for all and not visiting Colorado, but a source indicated to USCFootball.com that's unlikely to happen.

So once again, USC will need to play the waiting game.

Five-star USC commit Julian Lewis: 'I'm still locked in with USC'

Thanks for this. I didn’t know it. So many changes to keep up with… I still think the answer is in requiring compensation for being stolen. I think it should mirror the NFL for tampering and be so severe that no one tampers for the sake of tampering. That way a recruit is more focused and sure of his commitments. The Universities brought this on themselves but the way it is now, it works against the integrity of the game in my opinion
Kids should be able to change where they're committed to and pick the best option for them at the end of day. It's only a label up until their NLI is signed. The other side of the coin is schools pulling offers from players. Should schools have to guarantee their scholarship offers to recruits?

Definitely deflating after being excited about a kid coming to Bloomington but I'm hard pressed to be that upset. The attachment starts when they don cream and crimson.

Hey are you still in Japan? A good friend of mine from the service lives there as a civilian. I am moving next year to the Philippines. I only ask to inquire about the issues with China. Apparently, China is dumping Cyanide in the waters around the Philippines killing the fish and causing a don’t eat the fish order…. Those interested, my friends son was a Navy Corpsman sent to the Ukraine to train troops and according to my friend saw lots of combat. He came home to Camp Pendleton a few weeks ago and as all of us were planning a visit next week, his son committed suicide in Pendleton. Extremely hard to see the concern from DC …. I thought some should know. We have problems bigger than who you want to sleep with. Serious sacrifices are being made with little to no fanfare or justification.
Your friend's son is why I don't want US service members involved overseas. When you face combat, you are emersed in a different world with different rules and consequences. It can be so overwhelming that they can't live in the world back here. We have had too many go down this road and the military still doesn't have a good handle on it.

Your friend's son is why I don't want US service members involved overseas. When you face combat, you are emersed in a different world with different rules and consequences. It can be so overwhelming that they can't live in the world back here. We have had too many go down this road and the military still doesn't have a good handle on it.
Yes …. I’m aware of the consequences. I lost a 30 year marriage due to it and a second career. Sorry to clutter the Football board. My buddy in Japan’s name is Steve and when I saw Tokyo Steve I impulsively reached out… FYI, our personnel have trained foreign troops for Decades. What has changed is DC.

Hey are you still in Japan?
Hey, BRB.

Yeah, I'm still here . . . 33 years now. Have a Japanese wife and we have two sons (ages 20 and 18) . . . oh, and about seven more years on our home mortgage.

For obvious reasons (history and proximity), current China aggression is a common topic. More and more Japanese are starting to change their minds about Japan developing nuclear weapons. I tell my family that Japan could have them tomorrow, if they wanted them. They certainly already have all the technology necessary and much more plutonium than is commonly publicized.

Interestingly, over the past decade or so, more and more Chinese have started living in Japan, and now public announcements on trains and in shopping malls and so forth are given first in Japanese, then in English and finally in Chinese. Chinese are buying a lot of property in Japan, but I don't know if they're buying any next to military sites, like they are in the US. I kinda doubt the Japanese government would allow that.

Was really sorry to hear about your friend's son. I did six years in the US Navy (Stateside and in Greece) in the 1980s in between matriculating at IU and graduating from the Kelley School of Business. A lot of people joke that they were on a 5- or 6-year undergraduate plan . . . and Belushi ("Bluto") was even on a 7-year plan. I beat them all with my over 10-year plan. Ha!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT