ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Rayford ??

steelyvan

Junior
Aug 2, 2003
What are the scouting reports from practice on JR?
Are we overlooking his potential contributions?

Shhhh...I'm still holding out hopes that he's our top secret, big surprise contributor. Certainly has the size and body for it, judging from HH.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Jordon Rayford:

2022-23 (Freshman – Air Force)
• Dean’s List

Sat out the entire 2022-23 season with a shoulder injury.

Prep/Personal
Played at Philips Academy Andover for head coach Terrell Ivory … averaged 23 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 assists per game as a senior … earned NEPSAC All-Conference honors … son of Lenny Rayford and Ona Reckling … has a sister, Alexis, and a brother, Carter … born on May 15, 2003 … plans to study finance at the Kelley School of Business.

Looks like he may have some serious skills. Didn't he transfer, and is a scholarship player?

Jordon Rayford:

2022-23 (Freshman – Air Force)
• Dean’s List

Sat out the entire 2022-23 season with a shoulder injury.

Prep/Personal
Played at Philips Academy Andover for head coach Terrell Ivory … averaged 23 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 assists per game as a senior … earned NEPSAC All-Conference honors … son of Lenny Rayford and Ona Reckling … has a sister, Alexis, and a brother, Carter … born on May 15, 2003 … plans to study finance at the Kelley School of Business.

Looks like he may have some serious skills. Didn't he transfer, and is a scholarship player?
No he’s a walk on.

Did not see the court yesterday. Still early but would not expect much this year.
Yeah...DNP-Coaches Decision in an exhibition game doesn't bode well. Maybe there were other factors? Kinda surprised me, but he is a walk on. Was mainly just holding out hope with his size and apparent skill he showed on his highlight reels, that he might be a diamond in the rough type kid.

Reactions: sglowrider
Yeah...DNP-Coaches Decision in an exhibition game doesn't bode well. Maybe there were other factors? Kinda surprised me, but he is a walk on. Was mainly just holding out hope with his size and apparent skill he showed on his highlight reels, that he might be a diamond in the rough type kid.
He’s injured

Maybe there were other factors?
there is another factor: he's a walk-on for a reason. I'd say there is an opportunity for time at the 2, but expecting/hoping even a preferred walk-on with his pedigree is going to contribute on the court is probably misplaced hope. Their contribution, for this year at least, will probably only come in practice. Still, I like giving minutes to as many as possible in these games, so maybe if we come out and stay consistently ahead of Marian, they'll get some minutes at the end of that game. An injury to TG or CJ could be trouble.

On a good note, I loved Gunn's energy, both offensively and defensively. As I've been saying since the end of last year: he can be a very solid contributor way beyond a 3 and D guy and he needs to just cool it on 3s and just take what comes to him. Thought he did that well yesterday. Oh yeah, and MAKE YOUR FTs!

Reactions: IU73
there is another factor: he's a walk-on for a reason. I'd say there is an opportunity for time at the 2, but expecting/hoping even a preferred walk-on with his pedigree is going to contribute on the court is probably misplaced hope. Their contribution, for this year at least, will probably only come in practice. Still, I like giving minutes to as many as possible in these games, so maybe if we come out and stay consistently ahead of Marian, they'll get some minutes at the end of that game. An injury to TG or CJ could be trouble.

On a good note, I loved Gunn's energy, both offensively and defensively. As I've been saying since the end of last year: he can be a very solid contributor way beyond a 3 and D guy and he needs to just cool it on 3s and just take what comes to him. Thought he did that well yesterday. Oh yeah, and MAKE YOUR FTs!
He's not a stereotypical walk on though. He had D1 offers out of high school...still unknown if he is/was a D1 level kid due to his injuries...he's a 6'5/200+ lb PG...

VERY, VERY likely you're right. But there are reasons why he is intriguing.

He's not a stereotypical walk on though. He had D1 offers out of high school...still unknown if he is/was a D1 level kid due to his injuries...he's a 6'5/200+ lb PG...

VERY, VERY likely you're right. But there are reasons why he is intriguing.
I understand, I'm just saying, it's mostly hope, and even more unlikely if he's already being sidelined with an injury or precautionary. Barring injury to other guys, this is likely their chance (I'm lumping in the other preferred walk on because sounds like he is an excellent shooter) to make an impression. Far more likely, as we saw yesterday, minutes at the 2 beyond TG and CJG will come from AL, or even playing GC/XJ together. If we're anywhere close to where we are hoping, even a kid who had scholly offers at AF type schools is unlikely to walk in and play much as a freshman at a school in the upper half of the B10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT