ADVERTISEMENT

John Kerry, not a fan of the 1st Amendment

Maybe. It will be interesting to see if it's litigated and, if so, how that turns out.

Political ads are pretty famously exempted from federal truth in advertising laws. But candidates can sue for defamation.
I doubt it is litigated. Braun pulled back the ad, slapped the disclaimer on it, and then republished it. In fact, that type of statutory requirement is the least restrictive means the CA judge was referring to re the deep fakes.

1A jurisprudence is full of balancing, testing of other means, and burdens of proof based on the type of speech/restrictions at issue. It's not as black and white as a lot of people assume.

I doubt it is litigated. Braun pulled back the ad, slapped the disclaimer on it, and then republished it. In fact, that type of statutory requirement is the least restrictive means the CA judge was referring to re the deep fakes.

1A jurisprudence is full of balancing, testing of other means, and burdens of proof based on the type of speech/restrictions at issue. It's not as black and white as a lot of people assume.

I didn't necessarily mean that the Braun campaign would litigate it or that it would happen anytime soon. I just meant by somebody, at some time.

Reactions: BradStevens
I'm sure that there are many politicians on both sides of the aisle that would like to be the gatekeeper of information that is disseminated to the public.
Instead, we've handed that over to Musk and Zuckerberg.

Instead, we've handed that over to Musk and Zuckerberg.
That is the problem... everyone has agenda. We have CNN, MSNBCm], Foxnews, and social media spewing out their agenda but at least with most social media it's not just one side.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT