L. Jordan
Matta
Donovan
Marshall
Fife
Bruce Pearl

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier in SC
He's a solid coach, and this would not be a bad move. I used to think 67 was getting up there, but that now seems young to me... Sure, he would not be here for 20 years, but perhaps he has 5-8 solid years. By then, Stevens would be ready to come home.
He’s a decade younger than most the presidential candidates. I’m sure he still has gas in the tank.

He’s a decade younger than most the presidential candidates. I’m sure he still has gas in the tank.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him take another college job, but I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to retire, either.

He's a solid coach, and this would not be a bad move. I used to think 67 was getting up there, but that now seems young to me... Sure, he would not be here for 20 years, but perhaps he has 5-8 solid years. By then, Stevens would be ready to come home.
Really! Are you 80? He’s too old and I want a younger proven coach. I want someone 50’s or lower who can be around for 15+ years if he’s good enough.

Reactions: jeffwheat69
Really! Are you 80? He’s too old and I want a younger proven coach. I want someone 50’s or lower who can be around for 15+ years if he’s good enough.
And just who is that? If he turn turn things around after him being here 5 to 6 years we would have very good options after that. Beilein won 63 games his last two years at michigan so id say he can still coach.
The the type of guy you referenced we hired and he has been a bust.

If Pat Kraft becomes AD, he will remove Archie much faster than Dolson will. Dolson is a big Archie guy from what I’ve heard.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
He's a proven winner in the Big Ten. He took a floundering Michigan program and turned them into a national title contender and a regular challenger for the Big Ten title.

I'd guess most IU fans would be good with that in a 5-8 year span. Half way through that you name an 'associate head coach' who could take over the program when Beilein retires. Maybe that could be Fife.

As to the age of the present candidate: no coach this century has had such a long and successful tenure that we’ve needed to start fretting about his retirement plans.

In fact, since it is IU we’re talking about, he’d probably get here, promptly go 8-23, 13-18, and 6-26, then be forced into resigning, utterly exposed as a charlatan of a coach and mocked for being the latest dope to fail to restore IU to greatness.

Good times.

Reactions: Columbus-Boiler
Let 'er Fly said:

[/quote]
This program desperately needs to be put back on its feet. Worry about that first then in 5 years you can get your long term coach.

What if IU loses out?

Then we lose out and he's back next year.

Look, were not gonna pay him either 10 million or 13 million, I don't remember what it is to leave.

No AD coming in is gonna come in, fire the coach without doing a proper evaluation of the program. It's just not going to happen. Whether people believe it or not, Indiana basketball is not the end all be all of the basketball world and Archie is respected in the coaching profession.

The only way Archie gets fired this year is if he does something illegal and he gets fired with cause.

That’d take a pair of grapes IU doesn’t have.

That's certainly true.

But Beilein is 67 years old and I imagine that his decision to leave Michigan for the NBA had at least something to do with wanting out of the grind that is being head coach of a major college basketball program. Yeah, the NBA has twice as many games -- but, other than that, I'd imagine it's more demanding to be a college coach.

Don't get me wrong -- if he's interested in returning to the college game, I'd be all for hiring him. He's a great coach and ours....well....isn't so great.

That said, we can dream in one hand and....

As to the age of the present candidate: no coach this century has had such a long and successful tenure that we’ve needed to start fretting about his retirement plans.

In fact, since it is IU we’re talking about, he’d probably get here, promptly go 8-23, 13-18, and 6-26, then be forced into resigning, utterly exposed as a charlatan of a coach and mocked for being the latest dope to fail to restore IU to greatness.

Good times.

Considering his first 3 years at Michigan were roughly as poor (or worse) than Archie's first 3 here..... I'm quite sure we'd be looking for his replacement in 2023. As I recall, Michigan was nearly the only B1G team Crean could beat in his first few years.

Considering his first 3 years at Michigan were roughly as poor (or worse) than Archie's first 3 here..... I'm quite sure we'd be looking for his replacement in 2023. As I recall, Michigan was nearly the only B1G team Crean could beat in his first few years.
He would be working with the advantage of having Coach AM’s players on roster, as opposed to Coach AM, who had/has to deal with those of Coach TC.

None of this matters.

If you can only beat one, that’s my pick! (Of course, I grew up an IU fan in the Detroit suburbs, and so have “strong distaste” for different teams than most IU fans.)

And just who is that? If he turn turn things around after him being here 5 to 6 years we would have very good options after that. Beilein won 63 games his last two years at michigan so id say he can still coach.
The the type of guy you referenced we hired and he has been a bust.
No because I didn’t say hire a mid major coach.
He's a proven winner in the Big Ten. He took a floundering Michigan program and turned them into a national title contender and a regular challenger for the Big Ten title.

I'd guess most IU fans would be good with that in a 5-8 year span. Half way through that you name an 'associate head coach' who could take over the program when Beilein retires. Maybe that could be Fife.
ok so you might have him 5-6 years. Think long term.

No because I didn’t say hire a mid major coach.

ok so you might have him 5-6 years. Think long term.
Obviously there are no guarantees, but 5-6 years of Beilein righting the ship would be preferable to seasons like the one IU is enduring now. And besides, I think the high water mark for him coaching is 10 years...especially if he has good success and seems to be bringing in good classes.

My guess is that he doesn't want this Cavs debacle to be the way he goes out and he probably wants to prove he can win at a high level again. I think you want a proven coach with that mentality.

Obviously there are no guarantees, but 5-6 years of Beilein righting the ship would be preferable to seasons like the one IU is enduring now. And besides, I think the high water mark for him coaching is 10 years...especially if he has good success and seems to be bringing in good classes.

My guess is that he doesn't want this Cavs debacle to be the way he goes out and he probably wants to prove he can win at a high level again. I think you want a proven coach with that mentality.
Unfortunately the current composition of our team that he would inherit isn't conducive to his coaching style. He'd have to go get shooters. Then we're in the throes of his 3 year rebuild which, if all goes well, by the time we get cookin' places him at 70 years old.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
As a Purdue fan, y'all should get Beard. He's a Knight guy, he can recruit and coach, and he's had our number for the past few years.

Beard isn't going anywhere. I'd love to have him -- but I don't think he's going to be leaving TTU anytime soon.

For starters, he just inked a 6-year, $27.5 million contract that includes a $3 million buyout provision for non-B12 schools. So he's already one of the highest paid coaches in the country -- and we wouldn't only have to buy out Archie, we'd be buying out Beard, too.

But, aside from the money, I get the sense that he's genuinely committed to the Red Raiders.

Reactions: twenty02
Beard isn't going anywhere. I'd love to have him -- but I don't think he's going to be leaving TTU anytime soon.

For starters, he just inked a 6-year, $27.5 million contract that includes a $3 million buyout provision for non-B12 schools. So he's already one of the highest paid coaches in the country -- and we wouldn't only have to buy out Archie, we'd be buying out Beard, too.

But, aside from the money, I get the sense that he's genuinely committed to the Red Raiders.
And he has a top ten recruiting class on its way.

Unfortunately the current composition of our team that he would inherit isn't conducive to his coaching style. He'd have to go get shooters. Then we're in the throes of his 3 year rebuild which, if all goes well, by the time we get cookin' places him at 70 years old.
Depending on his health and desire to coach, being 70+ is becoming less and less an issue.

Mike Krzyzewski is 73, Tom Izzo and Geno Auriemma are 65 and Roy Williams is 69. Boeheim is 75. Wouldn't you be surprised if any of those guys announced their retirements in the next few years (well, maybe Boeheim wouldn't surprise you)?

Guys can coach well into their 70s these days.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
This program desperately needs to be put back on its feet. Worry about that first then in 5 years you can get your long term coach.[/QUOTE]
So you get a coach then another in 5 years. I’m glad you don’t run my program because a lot of recruits go to a certain college because of the coach and being older recruits

really! You act like he’s going to come in and turn this program around in one year.

He's from Texas.... and is now the 3rd highest paid coach in the country.... in a relatively low pressure job.

He would be downright stupid to leave such a situation. Particularly for the dumpster fire that is IU basketball and our mentally unstable fanbase.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Depending on his health and desire to coach, being 70+ is becoming less and less an issue.

Mike Krzyzewski is 73, Tom Izzo and Geno Auriemma are 65 and Roy Williams is 69. Boeheim is 75. Wouldn't you be surprised if any of those guys announced their retirements in the next few years (well, maybe Boeheim wouldn't surprise you)?

Guys can coach well into their 70s these days.

Beilein has some personal issues going on with his son. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he just retires. I thought his move to the Cavs was very odd. NBA coaching is typically not an old man's game. Particularly not in a big rebuild like the Cavs were facing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT