ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy's and Joe's

HoosierJimbo89

All-American
Nov 27, 2010
Tennessee's recruiting is similar to Penn St. and Michigan. Tennessee's classes since 2016 were ranked 15, 15, 20, 12. Tennessee brings in like 10 4*'s a year and gets 5*'s here and there.

My point is IU isn't at Tennessee's level regarding Jimmy's and Joe's: it takes time. Despite this talent discrepancy, IU competed very well and was in a great position to win the game. In fact, we should have won! IU had a meltdown at the end, and I think one can argue that depth and talent played a part. The onside kick issue was definitely a coaching brain fart, but, we weren't exactly doing much on offense or defense at the end, either.

I don't like moral victories and am still pissed off we lost. But, I also realize this year was a big step in the right direction. IU just has to keep taking steps. I'm also glad that I am pissed off about IU losing football games. Even though we lost, this game was an exciting, entertaining bowl game in January on ESPN that a lot of people watched: can only help recruiting and exposure.

Tennessee's recruiting is similar to Penn St. and Michigan. Tennessee's classes since 2016 were ranked 15, 15, 20, 12. Tennessee brings in like 10 4*'s a year and gets 5*'s here and there.

My point is IU isn't at Tennessee's level regarding Jimmy's and Joe's: it takes time. Despite this talent discrepancy, IU competed very well and was in a great position to win the game. In fact, we should have won! IU had a meltdown at the end, and I think one can argue that depth and talent played a part. The onside kick issue was definitely a coaching brain fart, but, we weren't exactly doing much on offense or defense at the end, either.

I don't like moral victories and am still pissed off we lost. But, I also realize this year was a big step in the right direction. IU just has to keep taking steps. I'm also glad that I am pissed off about IU losing football games. Even though we lost, this game was an exciting, entertaining bowl game in January on ESPN that a lot of people watched: can only help recruiting and exposure.
Great, well-reasoned post. Stand by, though, for the trolls, haters and whack jobs to quickly pour cold water on your analysis and IU's season.

Agree. Lot of people blame Allen for blowing the game (and he did) but in fairness, he should have never been in that game. It was the equivalent talent wise of Indiana playing Kent State. Indiana overachieved to even compete in that game.

Agree. Lot of people blame Allen for blowing the game (and he did) but in fairness, he should have never been in that game. It was the equivalent talent wise of Indiana playing Kent State. Indiana overachieved to even compete in that game.
LOL, Wisconsin, Iowa and now Minnesota, beat those teams with very similar classes as IU. I just think your comment is a big slap in the face to say we're Kent St and I don't appreciate the comparison.

You could tell UT's line was bigger and stronger on both sides of the ball. I thought we were very fortunate to be down only 6-3 at half. But PR's ability to run changed things. It loosened up the Tenn defense and allowed the down the field completions in the 2nd half.
That being said I thought Tenn abandoned the run way too quickly.

You could tell UT's line was bigger and stronger on both sides of the ball. I thought we were very fortunate to be down only 6-3 at half. But PR's ability to run changed things. It loosened up the Tenn defense and allowed the down the field completions in the 2nd half.
That being said I thought Tenn abandoned the run way too quickly.
Tennessee's lines were bigger and stronger and that aligns with their recruiting. That said, I see a pretty good defensive line developing for Indiana. The Hawaiian freshman from Tampa is a ball player as is several other kids on our dline. We still need a better pass rush.

The offensive line will be led by the two big tackles, Bedford and Jones. The dline should be led by the interior guys, JJ, the big Tampa kid, and several others.

Indiana football will be a tough out next year.

The draw play for the winning td was all you needed to see. Gigantic hole and a play iu couldn't run that night. In fact, IU couldn't run unless it was Ramsey scrambling. In a lot of ways the game reminded me of going against OSU or Michigan, facing athletes a lot stronger and faster.

Reactions: red hornet
LOL, Wisconsin, Iowa and now Minnesota, beat those teams with very similar classes as IU. I just think your comment is a big slap in the face to say we're Kent St and I don't appreciate the comparison.

Yeah, IU, Wisconsin, Iowa have had identical class ranking averages combined over the last 5 years. :rolleyes:

Reactions: red hornet
The draw play for the winning td was all you needed to see. Gigantic hole and a play iu couldn't run that night. In fact, IU couldn't run unless it was Ramsey scrambling. In a lot of ways the game reminded me of going against OSU or Michigan, facing athletes a lot stronger and faster.
It was a terrible defensive alignment. ESPN even pointed out that you had only one lineman on the right side for the LG and LT to block and no LB in sight. Had nothing to do with bigger/stronger

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT