ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Mercer

Another Archie Miller caliber hire by Fred Glass. Getting worse without Lemonis guys.
IMO, it's way too early to bury the guy. He had a good season last year, and he has a young team this year. I guess a big question that I can't answer is if the hitting slump against the better competition is the result of poor coaching in that area or what. I don't have any insight on the inner workings of the program, but it goes without saying that there will be a review of the season after it's over with, and if changes are necessary, I believe they will probably do it. That's all I'm going to say about it.

Reactions: Irregulars and mk23
Another Archie Miller caliber hire by Fred Glass. Getting worse without Lemonis guys.
For all the heat Lem took around here, the dude just finished 3rd in the SEC (40-13, 20-10) this year and is set to be a national seed. Not to mention CWS appearance his first year. The dude knows how to coach. Also, a lot of the guys on IUs roster, Lem recruited to IU. It’s not a talent issue.

Reactions: mk23
IMO, it's way too early to bury the guy. He had a good season last year, and he has a young team this year. I guess a big question that I can't answer is if the hitting slump against the better competition is the result of poor coaching in that area or what. I don't have any insight on the inner workings of the program, but it goes without saying that there will be a review of the season after it's over with, and if changes are necessary, I believe they will probably do it. That's all I'm going to say about it.
He has plenty of latitude at IU. I’ve said around here the IU job is at the point of a 5/6 year gig for a coach. They are either moving up, or moving out.

On my post on this subject, I probably need to clarify that I think Coach Mercer is on solid ground with the program. In doing a review of the program, he would know more than anyone what changes need to be made if any, and I guess that is a given. I guess we need to see the postmortem on the team after the season is over with to see where we think this team is going next season. College baseball is one college sport where there can be significant changes from one season to the next, even with young teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT