ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Candle (HC Toledo) - thoughts?

Let 'er Fly

Junior
Feb 12, 2005
Looks like he has solid experience and success with recruiting ties to Michigan, Ohio, and Florida.

Sure, he’s not a proven Power 5 coach but that kind of coach is likely not coming to IU.

I think Candle may just light it up.

Reactions: fieldjock
Good coach. The upside is he's an offensive coach has already has a very good proven defensive coordinator in Vince Koehres who should have taken a bigger job by now. The downside is Toledo is the easiest place to win at in the MAC. They usually have among the best talent. Still he did well once Koehres solidified his defense three years ago.

Looks like he has solid experience and success with recruiting ties to Michigan, Ohio, and Florida.

Sure, he’s not a proven Power 5 coach but that kind of coach is likely not coming to IU.

definite possibility

Reactions: fieldjock

Absolutely not. Off the top of my head, Illinois, MSU and Wisconsin replaced thier coaches in the last couple of years. None of them went with a non P5 coach.

Absolutely not. Off the top of my head, Illinois, MSU and Wisconsin replaced thier coaches in the last couple of years. None of them went with a non P5 coach.
I'd rather take a flier on an up and comer from the MAC or sun belt. IU is not going to get a proven big time winner. They just aren't. And retread is not going to find success at IU. Going 8-4 at a Florida or A&M type place with a roster full of 5 and 4 star players is not going to equate to success at IU.

They need a guy who can win with lesser talent in the BIG to start and then build on that. Or find a Dion type personality to just buy players.

I'd rather take a flier on an up and comer from the MAC or sun belt. IU is not going to get a proven big time winner. They just aren't. And retread is not going to find success at IU. Going 8-4 at a Florida or A&M type place with a roster full of 5 and 4 star players is not going to equate to success at IU.

They need a guy who can win with lesser talent in the BIG to start and then build on that. Or find a Dion type personality to just buy players.
Minnesota. That's best case with a MAC guy. Tom Allen in the easier side of the B10.

Proven coach from a P5 conference that brings his staff. That's the only reasonable choice.

Reactions: Orbit7958
Good coach. The upside is he's an offensive coach has already has a very good proven defensive coordinator in Vince Koehres who should have taken a bigger job by now. The downside is Toledo is the easiest place to win at in the MAC. They usually have among the best talent. Still he did well once Koehres solidified his defense three years ago.
I have him (Candle) on my short list.

The only glaring issue with him is how many jobs he's been mentioned as being considered for over the past 3 or 4 years and yet no one has snapped him up... I have to ask myself:"why"? What do the guys making these hiring decisions know that we don't?

It's likely going to be a MAC or Sun Belt guy. And I'm fine with that. There's a few very good ones. (Although the above saying Chryst. I'd love that... But not sure why supposedly his own coaches stabbed him, sounded like he was too lax?)

Candle was in the rumors for the Mich State job and I didn't see their fans rioting. And they care. Maybe they knew it wouldn't be him anyway, lol .

I'd be fine with it.

Sun Belt has guys like Curt Cignetti, Wommack. They're good. Indiana fans seemed way down on an inexperienced Wommack on this board, but some liked CIgnetti. I do too.

I changed my mind on the guy from Eastern Mich one guy was touting. I don't get it, OK record and shows improvement, but nothing spectacular for MAC .

Babers

Minnesota. That's best case with a MAC guy. Tom Allen in the easier side of the B10.

Proven coach from a P5 conference that brings his staff. That's the only reasonable choice.
When you say "proven" what do you mean? No chance in hell an Urban Myer level guy is coming to IU. Obviously that would be amazing. But it's not happening.

And a Jimbo or Dan Mullen type would be Dinardo part 2.

When you say "proven" what do you mean? No chance in hell an Urban Myer level guy is coming to IU. Obviously that would be amazing. But it's not happening.

And a Jimbo or Dan Mullen type would be Dinardo part 2.
Jimbo is getting 100 mil to not coach. He isn't an option at IU. It's a broken record, but Stoops at UK is exactly the kind of coach IU needs.

Fickle was not from a power 5. He coached like it but Cincinnati wasn’t in a power 5 then. If you are including his time at Ohio state then yes. I wonder how tru the ARE rumors are?

Reactions: midwolfe
Fickle was not from a power 5. He coached like it but Cincinnati wasn’t in a power 5 then. If you are including his time at Ohio state then yes. I wonder how tru the ARE rumors are?
What are the ARE rumors? I've seen mention of him on all the lists flying about. More to it than that?

Jimbo is getting 100 mil to not coach. He isn't an option at IU. It's a broken record, but Stoops at UK is exactly the kind of coach IU needs.
Stoops has done very well in Lexington. His overall recruiting is a BIG part of his success. He certainly had a rough season this year but pulled the proverbial rabbit out of the hat yesterday by upsetting Louisville. That is one of Kentucky's all time upsets.

Indiana needs to support the program along the lines that Kentucky does. The pressure to win at Indiana should be upped by the successes of UofL and UK.

It's likely going to be a MAC or Sun Belt guy. And I'm fine with that. There's a few very good ones. (Although the above saying Chryst. I'd love that... But not sure why supposedly his own coaches stabbed him, sounded like he was too lax?)

Candle was in the rumors for the Mich State job and I didn't see their fans rioting. And they care. Maybe they knew it wouldn't be him anyway, lol .

I'd be fine with it.

Sun Belt has guys like Curt Cignetti, Wommack. They're good. Indiana fans seemed way down on an inexperienced Wommack on this board, but some liked CIgnetti. I do too.

I changed my mind on the guy from Eastern Mich one guy was touting. I don't get it, OK record and shows improvement, but nothing spectacular for MAC .
I'm the "one guy" who was touting Creighton (along with Bayern Fan) and he's still my number 1...

All he does is consistently win inspite of below average talent and what little decent talent he has being snatched away via the Portal, along with consistent assistant coaching turnover (his guys move up with recommendations from him)...

He just set a record for most Bowls made by Eastern Michigan along with another record of most Bowls made Ever by anyone in the MAC (since 2016)... He's taken a regular bottom feeder and turned it into a routine Bowl team... He's exactly who we should be looking for in my opinion...

What are the ARE rumors? I've seen mention of him on all the lists flying about. More to it than that?
He wants the job. Reporters on other board say this will be somewhat quick. Like already mapped out. Leads you think Chryst or unemployed coach or coach moving out before Bowl game. Sean Lewis left Colorado early and Brewster left their staff today.

Reactions: Vern Pain
He wants the job. Reporters on other board say this will be somewhat quick. Like already mapped out. Leads you think Chryst or unemployed coach or coach moving out before Bowl game. Sean Lewis left Colorado early and Brewster left their staff today.
What qualifications does ARE have?

Reactions: 76-1 and Vern Pain

I'd be fine with it.

I'm the "one guy" who was touting Creighton (along with Bayern Fan) and he's still my number 1...

All he does is consistently win inspite of below average talent and what little decent talent he has being snatched away via the Portal along with consistent assistant coaching turnover (his guys move up with recommendations from him)...

He just set a record for most Bowls made by Eastern Michigan along with another record of most Bowls made Ever by anyone in the MAC... He's taken a regular bottom feeder and turned it into a routine Bowl team... He's exactly who we should be looking for in my opinion...
MSU program is in shambles right now. Why did they hire a proven guy from P5 program rather than a MAC guy in the same market?

Reactions: BayernFan

All he does is consistently win inspite of below average talent and what little decent talent he has being snatched away via the Portal, along with consistent assistant coaching turnover (his guys move up with recommendations from him)...

He just set a record for most Bowls made by Eastern Michigan along with another record of most Bowls made Ever by anyone in the MAC (since 2016)... He's taken a regular bottom feeder and turned it into a routine Bowl team... He's exactly who we should be looking for in my opinion...
What I do like about him is solid character stuff that you or someone talked about. That Dad's were happy to trust their sons to him. I'm good with it, if that's the case. (I couldn't remember his name lol, but I bless the hire...)

Sean Lewis should get a look. Was successful in turning around Kent State after becoming the youngest HC in FBS. Was a candidate at his Alma mater of Wisconsin.

Coach Prime hired him to be OC at Colorado.

Sean Lewis should get a look. Was successful in turning around Kent State after becoming the youngest HC in FBS. Was a candidate at his Alma mater of Wisconsin.

Coach Prime hired him to be OC at Colorado.
He was 5-7 in last year at Kent.

I'm aware of MSU's issues, not sure what that had to do with the football coach they just hired.
Creighton is cut from the Bill Mallory mold of "do the right thing even if it is the most difficult thing"... He wouldn't have gone along with the type of approach M$U's hierarchy routinely takes... Doubt if he ever interviewed there...

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT