ADVERTISEMENT

James Madison Bowl

Here's a write up on the game:

The guys I'll be watching closely are:

On O -

#44 Horton TE
#74 Stephens OL
#13 Sarratt WR

-//#2 is their QB McCloud// Don't see how he fits here numbers-wise in the QB room...//-

On D -

#99 Carpenter DL
#11 Fisher MLB

(Those are my top 5, without McCloud)

next 2 on D -

#00 Jones LB
# 5 Walker LB

Possibly # 10 Green DE (if he has returned from injury [which is doubtful]...)

Air Force has a TE in the Portal named Rillos #84 who's supposed to be good. Not sure how that works with their enlistment obligation but he's not the only one, so they must have some type of waiver or deferred enlistment deal in their contract...

Here's a write up on the game:

The guys I'll be watching closely are:

On O -

#44 Horton TE
#74 Stephens OL
#13 Sarratt WR

-//#2 is their QB McCloud// Don't see how he fits here numbers-wise in the QB room...//-

On D -

#99 Carpenter DL
#11 Fisher MLB

(Those are my top 5, without McCloud)

next 2 on D -

#00 Jones LB
# 5 Walker LB

Possibly # 10 Green DE (if he has returned from injury [which is doubtful]...)

Air Force has a TE in the Portal named Rillos #84 who's supposed to be good. Not sure how that works with their enlistment obligation but he's not the only one, so they must have some type of waiver or deferred enlistment deal in their contract...
The rule is, or at least used to be, that you could exit a service academy after two years with no issues.

I’m not sure what the penalties are to transfer later, but I’m sure it’s at least that they have to repay Uncle Sam.

I want to watch Stephens on OL. See if Sarrat has deep threat speed. Carpenter. I'll note all the names mentioned above now. Should be fun. Glad JMU has their qb.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
They play tomorrow, Saturday the 23rd, at 3:30 on ABC. JMU is 11-1 and their opponent, Air Force, is 8-4.
It might be interesting to hear any comments about ccc.
Saturday night or Sunday AM we may have news of the pending “silent transfers”.
I think the interesting thing for me will be seeing what kinds sets the offense runs and just how they look overall. Some insight perhaps to what IU will look like going forward. JM is still going to have the Cingetti stamp in all facets of what they’re trying to accomplish.

I think the interesting thing for me will be seeing what kinds sets the offense runs and just how they look overall. Some insight perhaps to what IU will look like going forward. JM is still going to have the Cingetti stamp in all facets of what they’re trying to accomplish.
I don't know if we'll learn much one way or the other because Air Force runs one of the last true Option Offensive schemes which is tough to stop with only a couple of weeks to practice against it...

Whether JMU wins or loses, I'll be more interested in the individuals I identified above playing well along with their overall effort put forth...

Here's hoping everyone on both teams comes out of it with nothing more than a few bumps and bruises...

While I love watching Option Football run well, I hate watching any of our guys defending it. Too easy to get a leg rolled up in a block and wreck an ankle and/or a knee...

Looks terrible. Let’s be honest the second half will be really bad… defense shows lots of missed tackling and slow as hell.

Those guys on JMU have not been coached up to compete against B10 level rosters. They look like a bunch of 2-stars.

Remember when JMU was still undefeated and there was talk what a shame a New Year's Day bowl might not be able to take them? Holy cow! Remind me again to ignore most sports media, since it's for clicks.

I remember the same thing following the 2020 season. We had to play Ole Miss, who was 4-5 and everyone was outraged. Oh, the disrespect! How did we get such an opponent? And then, in true Allen fashion went out and bumbled his way to a loss. IU was ranked #12 at the time.

So far I’d say Sarratt has been the only sure thing I’ve seen as far as being Big material. Any others may be marginal.
Horton could hack it at TE... He was under utilized...

Carpenter could probably help as DT depth with some weight room work...

I'd pass on Stephens (OL) and I'd take an especially Hard Pass on Fisher (their Linebacker) who did a great impression of a "light" blocking sled... If he's (Fisher) is slated to head here I Really hope both parties rethink that... Based on his play today he'd struggle to make the two deep at Indiana State...

I remember the same thing following the 2020 season. We had to play Ole Miss, who was 4-5 and everyone was outraged. Oh, the disrespect! How did we get such an opponent? And then, in true Allen fashion went out and bumbled his way to a loss. IU was ranked #12 at the time.
What did he bumble? Tuttle was our QB and found out later he had a shoulder (?) injury. It was obvious he wasn't close to being at full strength. Not everyone was outraged, as you claim.

I'd pass on Stephens (OL) and I'd take an especially Hard Pass on Fisher (their Linebacker) who did a great impression of a "light" blocking sled... If he's (Fisher) is slated to head here I Really hope both parties rethink that... Based on his play today he'd struggle to make the two deep at Indiana State...
The guys I was impressed with were Sarratt( JMU) and the MVP running back at AF. Wish the RB had more eligibility.

I didn't watch the game but I see Fisher had something like 17 total tackles with 12 being solo. Just trying to square those stats with observations that he isn't good. Were other parts of his game the problem?

What did he bumble? Tuttle was our QB and found out later he had a shoulder (?) injury. It was obvious he wasn't close to being at full strength. Not everyone was outraged, as you claim.
No, all of us watching the game knew he had a shoulder injury. It was known ahead of time or at least by game time. I had heard it and I am the least connected fan out there.

What do you mean, what did he bumble? They had a terrible defense against the rush! All season. We passed the ball 45 times... With a QB with a shoulder injury!
Even if they felt they had a healthy QB, if Nick Sheridan runs the ball and doesn't get cute, Indiana wins that game easily. Stevie Scott wasn't being stopped that game.

Tom Allen allowed Sheridan to throw the game away. We ran with ease and then Sheridan would decide to throw for no reason. Worst called offensive game I've ever seen. Before Walt Bell.

Why do you have your QB with an injured shoulder throwing the ball predominantly during the final drive to win it. You have a run game that they are not stopping and you completely abandon the run . Terrible coaching by Allen in that game and the beginning of the end for him.

I didn't watch the game but I see Fisher had something like 17 total tackles with 12 being solo. Just trying to square those stats with observations that he isn't good. Were other parts of his game the problem?
More opportunities because they really didn’t throw. Dive left, Dive right, and option. They ran right at him. Poor tackling technique just as we have seen on our teams the last few years. Really didn’t look good at all

He was getting pushed 7 to 8 yards down the field by a solo G on nearly every other play... Was rarely getting off his blocks... His solos had to be after they'd already gained 8 yards... I only recall him actually meeting a RB in the hole twice in the entire game...

They ran inside a lot so he probably got a lot of assists just by tripping over the guy... I have a feeling that he probably got credit for several of #1's tackles too... (he's #11)

The guy looked to me like he was just going through the motions... Maybe he's a lot better than what he showed tonight, or maybe he was injured but if that's not the case, he has no business attempting to play in the Big Ten. He'd be a total waste of a scholarship, in my opinion...

Last edited:
I like him a lot. Good toughness & quick. Hope he comes. to IU. The LBer Fisher is young but tuff. Hope he comes.
I mostly watched Fisher over other defensive guys. I didn't see him as soft, I just saw a guy doing nothing, except mouthing off to every AF player he got blocked by. He didn't even try to make a play on some I watched. But yeah, I saw him come out of some piles, so I clearly missed nearly all of his tackles. I saw a couple.

I thought he was so far from a Big 10 linebacker I'll be really dismayed if he's a recruit. But, like I said, apparently there's bunch I missed. He's their starter, had decent stats, so I must be way off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT