ADVERTISEMENT

Ja and the NBA

Brown and Tatum are really good. This is going 7
Going to need Smart, hated long layoff at first . Middleton may be back. Grant Williams was huge tonight. Not to bash Romeo but they were basically drafted the same at 14 and 15 and Williams has done a lot more. Brown eating makes a difference vs the last month in his play. Tatum is far away the best of the pr.

Going to need Smart, hated long layoff at first . Middleton may be back. Grant Williams was huge tonight. Not to bash Romeo but they were basically drafted the same at 14 and 15 and Williams has done a lot more. Brown eating makes a difference vs the last month in his play. Tatum is far away the best of the pr.
Grant is amazing. Clutch player. I bag a lot on romeo, but You can go back to almost the day romeo got traded and look at the total reversal. Pretty crazy really. He doesn’t love basketball, not a good lockeroom guy.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Grant is amazing. Clutch player. I bag a lot on romeo, but You can go back to almost the day romeo got traded and look at the total reversal. Pretty crazy really. He doesn’t love basketball, not a good lockeroom guy.
How can a guy who "doesn't love basketball" make it to the NBA?

All the work, practice, travel, tryouts, scouting, rankings and ratings from 10U up through college -- you don't stick with that grind if there isn't a love for doing it. Parental pressure will push a kid through some of that but in my experience that stops working sometime in the high school years if not before.

How can a guy who "doesn't love basketball" make it to the NBA?

All the work, practice, travel, tryouts, scouting, rankings and ratings from 10U up through college -- you don't stick with that grind if there isn't a love for doing it. Parental pressure will push a kid through some of that but in my experience that stops working sometime in the high school years if not before.
Romeo was treated like a god at about 12, you definitely stick with that when your dad gets to build an AAU team around you and you are signing autographs at a booth setup after HS games.

Romeo was treated like a god at about 12, you definitely stick with that when your dad gets to build an AAU team around you and you are signing autographs at a booth setup after HS games.
Seriously the most disinterested player of his talent I have ever seen. Isn't he #2 state scorer all time? I can only fault him so much if he doesnt have interest. Not like he is pissing away a career on drugs or doing stupid stuff. Being treated like a god by putting a leather ball through an iron hoop just doesnt appeal to everyone I guess.

I watched his final high school game he couldn't hit a free thrown down the stretch and at the end of the game got trapped 35 feet from the basket and basically just gave up, and when he announced for IU he was slumped in a chair like he wanted to crawl off the stage. He just doesn't show the aggressiveness it takes to make it at the NBA level. I think he did have to much sucess to early. From everything I've heard Hes a great kid and should be financially set for life.

I watched his final high school game he couldn't hit a free thrown down the stretch and at the end of the game got trapped 35 feet from the basket and basically just gave up, and when he announced for IU he was slumped in a chair like he wanted to crawl off the stage. He just doesn't show the aggressiveness it takes to make it at the NBA level. I think he did have to much sucess to early. From everything I've heard Hes a great kid and should be financially set for life.
He'll get traded around and be out of the league in 2 years. He is lazy.

Cav - I have wondered how closely the Romeo trade was when the reversal of fortunes occurred for the C’s.

The Celtics really changed gears in January. They played great basketball from that point forward. They were 23-24 January 21st. Then went 28-7 the rest of the regular season. They went 8-1 in Romeo’s last 9 games before he was traded around 2/10.

Romeo being there and then consequently leaving had little impact on the amazing run the Celtics went on the last half of the season.

Romeo’s tenure in the NBA seems to be limited. I hope he does well with Coach Pop.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Seriously the most disinterested player of his talent I have ever seen. Isn't he #2 state scorer all time? I can only fault him so much if he doesnt have interest. Not like he is pissing away a career on drugs or doing stupid stuff. Being treated like a god by putting a leather ball through an iron hoop just doesnt appeal to everyone I guess.
Cray - Romeo is number 5 on the All Time Scoring list behind

Damon
Marion Pierce
Deshaun Thomas
Luke Brown

Cray - Romeo is number 5 on the All Time Scoring list behind

Damon
Marion Pierce
Deshaun Thomas
Luke Brown
I've always wondered what the story was on Pierce and why he played just one year of Jr. College ball after HS.

Cav - I have wondered how closely the Romeo trade was when the reversal of fortunes occurred for the C’s.

The Celtics really changed gears in January. They played great basketball from that point forward. They were 23-24 January 21st. Then went 28-7 the rest of the regular season. They went 8-1 in Romeo’s last 9 games before he was traded around 2/10.

Romeo being there and then consequently leaving had little impact on the amazing run the Celtics went on the last half of the season.

Romeo’s tenure in the NBA seems to be limited. I hope he does well with Coach Pop.
Romeo was an end of the bench guy at the Celtics. He was a non factor in their success or lack there of.

Reactions: kkott

I think when they cut ties with Carson Edwards they took off, that bow-legged asshole was a distraction

• Haha
Reactions: mk30 and Cavanagh
I've always wondered what the story was on Pierce and why he played just one year of Jr. College ball after HS.
I don't know, but I remember reading a story about him when Damon or Deshaun was approaching his scoring record (maybe 50th anniversary?) and I think he was in his early 70s at the time, and still playing some pickup ball. He said something like "they know where to come when they need a basket!" Thought that was terrific that the guy was still talking smack!

I think when they cut ties with Carson Edwards they took off, that bow-legged asshole was a distraction
C'mon guys. Romeo or Carson moving on had nothing to do with the C's taking off. They were both end of the bench guys and if they were that big a distraction, they'd have been gone long before. I'd say it took them awhile to adapt to their new Coach and his brand of ball. Heck, it took our Hoosiers 3+ years with Archie and they never quite got it!

• Haha
Reactions: mk30 and Fpeaugh2
C'mon guys. Romeo or Carson moving on had nothing to do with the C's taking off. They were both end of the bench guys and if they were that big a distraction, they'd have been gone long before. I'd say it took them awhile to adapt to their new Coach and his brand of ball. Heck, it took our Hoosiers 3+ years with Archie and they never quite got it!
I know I just always wanted to call Carson Edwards a bow-legged asshole and seized on the opportunity

I played some pickup with Marion in a church near Shenandoah High School back in the '70's/early '80's. The thing I remember about him was that he was really big and strong. We were both about 6'4", so we matched up fairly often, but I bet he outweighed me by 25-30 pounds. It was that farm boy strength that you just get naturally. His shoulders, arms and hands were just huge.

I was in my '20's and he was pushing 50, but he was a handful to guard. I liked playing on his team a lot more than playing against him......

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...ion-pierce-mystery-scoring-machine/325454001/

cmon dude, its hilarious when you let your own feelings cloud your judgement and reality. Romeo leaving wasn't a factor in their improved play one iota. Nor was Carsen Edwards as someone else tried to say. These guys didn't play enough to affect one way or another and the Cs had both around long enough that if they were a distraction, they'd have been gone long ago. You bagged on Phinisee for 3 years and then you met him and all of a sudden, he was a great guy and the best defender in the B10. If I were to point to anything for the Cs, and I don't really keep track of their roster in detail, but I'd guess it just took them a little time to "get" what their new coach was preaching and develop some confidence in it and each other.

Reactions: mk30 and Fpeaugh2
cmon dude, its hilarious when you let your own feelings cloud your judgement and reality. Romeo leaving wasn't a factor in their improved play one iota. Nor was Carsen Edwards as someone else tried to say. These guys didn't play enough to affect one way or another and the Cs had both around long enough that if they were a distraction, they'd have been gone long ago. You bagged on Phinisee for 3 years and then you met him and all of a sudden, he was a great guy and the best defender in the B10. If I were to point to anything for the Cs, and I don't really keep track of their roster in detail, but I'd guess it just took them a little time to "get" what their new coach was preaching and develop some confidence in it and each other.
I was surprised when I saw Nik Stauskas on their roster because I hadn’t heard that name in awhile. Thought he would be a consistent bench guy and have a pretty good career.

One guy that surprised me is Thomas Bryant. He definitely has the motor but I didn’t think he’d be athletic enough for the NBA.

I'd bet my lunch money that most of their improvement hinged on their roster "buying in" on becoming a dominant defensive team. Maybe a chicken or the egg type of thing...but Grant Williams and Robert Williams emergence were huge factors, namely because of their defensive abilities.

I'd bet my lunch money that most of their improvement hinged on their roster "buying in" on becoming a dominant defensive team. Maybe a chicken or the egg type of thing...but Grant Williams and Robert Williams emergence were huge factors, namely because of their defensive abilities.
watched them a bunch this year, Tatum started moving the ball is when they turned things around, way too much isolation earlier in the year, I think Marcus Smart called a team meeting and stressed to Tatum and Brown that they couldn't win that way, and getting rid of Schroder didn't hurt either

they have a good coach and Stevens, and for that matter, Ainge were very smart in orchestrating role changes ... they're very well run

I admit, I didn’t look right at when they started winning, 9 games before he got traded is still pretty damn close tho!

they have a good coach and Stevens, and for that matter, Ainge were very smart in orchestrating role changes ... they're very well run
I wouldn't give Stevens a ton of credit, on the surface anyway...he had multiple years as HC to find this mix of people and style...they've had some flashes of great play under Stevens, but this version of the Celtics has clearly taken a step forward...with the same core group of players.

Maybe Stevens taking a step back and watching from a more elevated view, opened his eyes a little bit, and he did help orchestrate these specific changes??? But it seems unlikely to me that he'd remain closely involved at that level in his current position.

No clue who made the changes though, maybe he was involved. Strongly guessing its nearly all Udoka's doing though. Someone deserves the credit for making the Stevens/Udoka change though I guess. Its very possible Stevens was self aware enough that he had reached his expiration date in terms of his ability to move forward as the HC.

Reactions: mk30
I was surprised when I saw Nik Stauskas on their roster because I hadn’t heard that name in awhile. Thought he would be a consistent bench guy and have a pretty good career.

One guy that surprised me is Thomas Bryant. He definitely has the motor but I didn’t think he’d be athletic enough for the NBA.
If you can protect the rim, defend the 5, rebound, and be a team player setting screens, etc... the NBA will find a place for you and TB has a decent shot out to 18-20' too, so I have no trouble believing it. It's the route I think TJD will take to the NBA and how he'll be used. It won't surprise me if he stays in the draft and honestly what I expect. I think someone will work out a deal with him and agree to take him in the first round somewhere. As any real estate salesperson knows it only takes 1 buyer!

Heck, look how Al Horford has stuck around and I don't think TB is that much less athletic than him, and TJD is similar.

Reactions: IUclover
If you can protect the rim, defend the 5, rebound, and be a team player setting screens, etc... the NBA will find a place for you and TB has a decent shot out to 18-20' too, so I have no trouble believing it. It's the route I think TJD will take to the NBA and how he'll be used. It won't surprise me if he stays in the draft and honestly what I expect. I think someone will work out a deal with him and agree to take him in the first round somewhere. As any real estate salesperson knows it only takes 1 buyer!

Heck, look how Al Horford has stuck around and I don't think TB is that much less athletic than him, and TJD is similar.
Horford is bigger than TJD and can shoot out to 3-point range

Reactions: mk30
Luka Doncic is amazing he looks fat and slow, but he isn't. Would love to see Cuban be able to put some talent around him

Reactions: kkott
Horford is bigger than TJD and can shoot out to 3-point range
Plays bigger but both are listed at 6'9" and TJD is actually listed at 5 lbs heavier: 245 vs 240. I agree 100% that Horford can shoot out to the 3, but no one's signing Al Horford for his shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT