ADVERTISEMENT

I've got a good feeling about tonight

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Not so much about the outcome. I just think with Woodson and Fife in the locker room now, our boys will at least have more fire and intensity in these Purdue games.

For too long, I feel like the IU program has had to be reminded how important these games are every year. How big the rivalry is. Often times, the people doing the reminding are the Purdue players and fans on game day. Showing them the game meant waaaayyy more to them than it did to IU. Some of those games IU still won...they had a good little run in the Crean years. But by and large...the importance of the rivalry has remained strong in West Laffy, and has faded in Bloomington. Purdue is 20-14 against IU since RMK left town. To be fair, Purdue has had the better team more often than not during these years. But you can visually see that the game has meant more to them, than it does to us. Recently, it looked like Archie didn't give a Martha's Broom about Purdue. At times he placated by saying it was important. But visually you could see he didn't really care. And then how he handled the RMK game last year, there was proof he wasn't "bought in".

I can't imagine any scenario where Woody and Dane aren't fully bought in to how important these games are. Purdue is a really good basketball team, they're just better than we are in most areas. So, in the end, a renewed spirit by our program in this game might not matter in terms of getting a win tonight. But I have a feeling its gonna be more heated and intense than it has been recently.

I've been lukewarm on the Woody hire. I've been critical after losses. But Woody is back here to rekindle the IU fire in games like these. Dane is back here because he wants to bring that fire back to Bloomington. I've got a really good feeling that tonights game is going to be exciting to watch. It'll evoke IU/Purdue emotions that have been dormant for a while. It'll be amazing if IU wins tonight. If they don't, I'm sure the technical basketball reasons they don't, will be frustrating. But I bet it won't end up being because they don't have the fire.

Not so much about the outcome. I just think with Woodson and Fife in the locker room now, our boys will at least have more fire and intensity in these Purdue games.

For too long, I feel like the IU program has had to be reminded how important these games are every year. How big the rivalry is. Often times, the people doing the reminding are the Purdue players and fans on game day. Showing them the game meant waaaayyy more to them than it did to IU. Some of those games IU still won...they had a good little run in the Crean years. But by and large...the importance of the rivalry has remained strong in West Laffy, and has faded in Bloomington. Purdue is 20-14 against IU since RMK left town. To be fair, Purdue has had the better team more often than not during these years. But you can visually see that the game has meant more to them, than it does to us. Recently, it looked like Archie didn't give a Martha's Broom about Purdue. At times he placated by saying it was important. But visually you could see he didn't really care. And then how he handled the RMK game last year, there was proof he wasn't "bought in".

I can't imagine any scenario where Woody and Dane aren't fully bought in to how important these games are. Purdue is a really good basketball team, they're just better than we are in most areas. So, in the end, a renewed spirit by our program in this game might not matter in terms of getting a win tonight. But I have a feeling its gonna be more heated and intense than it has been recently.

I've been lukewarm on the Woody hire. I've been critical after losses. But Woody is back here to rekindle the IU fire in games like these. Dane is back here because he wants to bring that fire back to Bloomington. I've got a really good feeling that tonights game is going to be exciting to watch. It'll evoke IU/Purdue emotions that have been dormant for a while. It'll be amazing if IU wins tonight. If they don't, I'm sure the technical basketball reasons they don't, will be frustrating. But I bet it won't end up being because they don't have the fire.

Fans need to really bring it tonight and help lift our guys. 2023 recruit Miro Little will be there too. It’s between Nova, Baylor and IU. It’s his last visit. Both Nova and Baylor lost when he visited them. The atmosphere of this game, especially if we can get a W, might go a real long way in getting him to committ.

I got a good feeling I will have a few beers in me by the time the game ends. As far as the outcome I have no idea.

I was one of the stubborn hold-outs for Archie to run through a couple recruiting classes. That really ended with this game last year, when it became apparent he was just no match for Matt Painter.

I do hope Woodson and Fife let the team know how much this game means to them personally. I think that will matter.

I just posted the same thing in regards to PU in the past few years has just played with more intensity than IU. I agree with you that it appears it just means more to them. Come on Woody, flip the script tonight!!

Reactions: IU73 and .Gerdis
Part of Woody’s job is to put on a show at home. Crean understood that, and he was able to create some great events. Unfortunately, he knew very little about the actual game. Miller was a terrible promoter.

I’ve heard PU bought the remaining tickets and are bringing busses down. Not sure if it’s true.
Not true, because there were never any ramaining tickets. Tickets for all games are sold out-except the 4 or 5 over school vacation when the 8,000 student seats become available. There were surely some tickets on the secondary/brokerage sites, but nothing available through IU.

I was one of the stubborn hold-outs for Archie to run through a couple recruiting classes. That really ended with this game last year, when it became apparent he was just no match for Matt Painter.

I do hope Woodson and Fife let the team know how much this game means to them personally. I think that will matter.

We have had most of our roster made of Indiana kids - they shouldn't need to be reminded by their coach, IMO

I’ve heard PU bought the remaining tickets and are bringing busses down. Not sure if it’s true.
There are no remaining tickets. Season tickets are sold out as usual. There will be more pu fans there than the usual 50 but not a lot more. I saw maybe 100 a couple years ago. Nothing like the number of fans IU puts in mackey.

Not true, because there were never any ramaining tickets. Tickets for all games are sold out-except the 4 or 5 over school vacation when the 8,000 student seats become available. There were surely some tickets on the secondary/brokerage sites, but nothing available through IU.
What about the tickets already purchased and put on sites to sell? That is what UK fans have done in the past, before they tucked tail and run.

We have had most of our roster made of Indiana kids - they shouldn't need to be reminded by their coach, IMO
Your program never strayed and hired guys (Sampson, Crean, Miller) who weren't a part of the rivalry. Even when IU didn't have most of their starting lineup from Indiana ('87 team starters only had Alford from Indiana) they still put huge importance on this game. IU having Woodson and Fife on the bench will change things for IU even if they don't have as many Indiana kids.

Yes, it for sure matters for Woody and Fife … the first half run showed it mattered to this year’s team too
IU didn’t let early 1st half adversity change their belief and administered a beat down to lead big at the half.

Reactions: IU73
There are no remaining tickets. Season tickets are sold out as usual. There will be more pu fans there than the usual 50 but not a lot more. I saw maybe 100 a couple years ago. Nothing like the number of fans IU puts in mackey.
I was wrong. There were not more than the usual 50 pu fans there last night, they didn't even fill the visitors box behind their bench.

I did get a text from a pu pal early after tip that said look at all the black up there. tons of Boilers. I informed him those were kids in suits...pu grad's future bosses.

Kids were great last night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT