ADVERTISEMENT

IU is limited in key positions

ericrossiu

Junior
Dec 1, 2009
Tjd and X are both limited offensively. X can’t create his own jumper due to poor shot mechanics and Tjd simply doesn’t really have much of a game besides dunking it (poor touch, no jumper, weak jump hook)

IU will have more good then bad moments this year. Hopefully Logan and the freshman are developing

collectively this team is very slow on the catch and shoot. Zona’s guys know where the shots are coming from and go right up with it confidently. Agree that we are just limited in some spots. Don’t have the firepower to beat a team like Zona if they are clicking

Tjd and X are both limited offensively. X can’t create his own jumper due to poor shot mechanics and Tjd simply doesn’t really have much of a game besides dunking it (poor touch, no jumper, weak jump hook)

IU will have more good then bad moments this year. Hopefully Logan and the freshman are developing
Then other issue is we just don’t have true bigs and having one who can extend the floor like HD at Michigan changes the offense immensely. Our offense is easier to defend for the reasons you just outlined.

Reactions: ericrossiu
It all goes back to recruiting. Hopefully Woodson does a better job in this area. He must get the type of players Painter is landing. Most of whom are here in state. I travel to schools across the state and there’s a lot more Boilier gear being worn by young people than Hoosier. Very disappointing.

It all goes back to recruiting. Hopefully Woodson does a better job in this area. He must get the type of players Painter is landing. Most of whom are here in state. I travel to schools across the state and there’s a lot more Boilier gear being worn by young people than Hoosier. Very disappointing.
I agree, to an extent. It is about recruiting, but I'm not particularly hung up on where they come from. RMK used to have pipelines to Chicago and the south, we need that back. This idea of building a serious team from the transfer portal every year cause we can't recruit top talent is what we're seeing fail, makes my head want to explode. IU should be able to attract talent. We got some this year, but warching them sit behind guys with absolutely nothing but age on them is not going to get us more

I’m not necessarily looking forward to next year but I am intrigued by the possibilities of a more balanced offensive team

Logan and Malik are capable shooters and versatile
Banks is a shooting 3/4
Geronimo is/will improve

JHS and cupps I think will be an overall better tandem then X and JHS. JHS being older helps

Bates is improving and will get better
Galloway is also getting better
Gunn will be much improved
Newton will contribute

Need more inside depth but I like the players returning (assuming they all do)

dumb ...

Every team in every sport ever played since the dawn of time, has a f*cking game plan..
I could see what Arizona was trying to execute. Indiana had no plan. By that I mean that they don't play a deliberate style that allows them to run something. Better teams can be beaten by running an offense that gets open looks at the basket. IU didn't do it. They settled for trying to beat bigger better skill with simple post feeds, one on one dribble penetration and pick and rolls.
Dumb, yes.

Reactions: ulrey
I could see what Arizona was trying to execute. Indiana had no plan. By that I mean that they don't play a deliberate style that allows them to run something. Better teams can be beaten by running an offense that gets open looks at the basket. IU didn't do it. They settled for trying to beat bigger better skill with simple post feeds, one on one dribble penetration and pick and rolls.
Dumb, yes.
You mean sets. Like PUke. You do sets to hide weaknesses. It works sometimes but you see it doesn’t work against north Texas and St. Peter. Efficiency is the problem not style. IU outplayed AZ for almost all the second half. Wasn’t enough. Defense stunk in the first 20 also.

For the love god can CJ Gunn get some minutes we need more shooting and the kid can shoot. Going forward we need shooters besides Bates, and Kopp we can't shoot the three. I would love to see a lineup of Kopp, Gunn, Bates, Jhs, and Tjd.

For the love god can CJ Gunn get some minutes we need more shooting and the kid can shoot. Going forward we need shooters besides Bates, and Kopp we can't shoot the three. I would love to see a lineup of Kopp, Gunn, Bates, Jhs, and Tjd.
He’s 1 for 10. 🤦🏻 he’s not ready. 7.1 of 19.5 as a team. Kansas had similar numbers last year.

He’s 1 for 10. 🤦🏻 he’s not ready. 7.1 of 19.5 as a team. Kansas had similar numbers last year.
Gunn would have to play the whole game to get a true feel for his potential against these teams. Not going to happen unless injuries happen. His potential is definitely there. I think he will get his opportunity during practice and occasional game time obviously.
I think future is bright

Gunn would have to play the whole game to get a true feel for his potential against these teams. Not going to happen unless injuries happen. His potential is definitely there. I think he will get his opportunity during practice and occasional game time obviously.
I think future is bright
He would get handled and cost us more at this point. I like him but he’s not ready.

You guys would murder him in these threads. Gtfoh.
well, the main point is, that if someone on this roster doesn't establish themselves over what is essentially a not very good team from last year, then we are the same team. What, for the purpose of hopefully gaining 1 or 2 more wins would you not use the new talent for. Race needs to come off the bench and maybe X too, until he gains consistency. Kopp is a non-consistent player too. Galloway and Bates have stepped up, use them. This is not like something we haven't seen. We got new talent because we weren't a good team last year, we needed it, so use it.

well, the main point is, that if someone on this roster doesn't establish themselves over what is essentially a not very good team from last year, then we are the same team. What, for the purpose of hopefully gaining 1 or 2 more wins would you not use the new talent for. Race needs to come off the bench and maybe X too, until he gains consistency. Kopp is a non-consistent player too. Galloway and Bates have stepped up, use them. This is not like something we haven't seen. We got new talent because we weren't a good team last year, we needed it, so use it.
Thanks coach. You would be the first of a half dozen crying about changing it back. The rotation is set and it’s not going to include those freshman for good reason. Those guys are not physically ready.

Then other issue is we just don’t have true bigs and having one who can extend the floor like HD at Michigan changes the offense immensely. Our offense is easier to defend for the reasons you just outlined.
Yep, we've got small bigs who play like big bigs on O. On D, they've just got to be tougher, period. Battle guys before they get to their spot and try and keep them a couple feet past where they are comfortable. Then, block out and rebound the ball. We've got to be better at the details and that's been a problem for our teams for years now. I don't know what we have against 7 footers, but we never seem to have any that can play. Plenty of teams have shown you can play with smaller bigs, but ours are not tough enough on D nor versatile enough on O. TJD has got to be able to shoot jumpers over bigger guys out to 15' which he is perfectly capable of. That jumper last night looked like he thought he should take it, not that he thought he'd make it.

Not unless he earns it in practice. A good coach doesn’t just give minutes for the sake of giving minutes. If he earns it, great. the fact he hasn’t played much tells me he hasn’t yet.

Reactions: kkott
The amount of stupid shit people say after losses is hilarious.
Yep. People cry about our schedule then we get a stronger pre-con and people freak when we lose. Most probably aren't old enough to remember, what, 91 when UCLA just cooked us in the first game of the year, way worse than last night: 20 pts? Then we turn around and beat them in tourney I believe on our way to a F4 (I'm terrible with remembering details of years).

I hated losing, but I was actually encouraged on watching it this morning. We lost in that 8 minute or so period where X went to the bench and played them evenly otherwise, so like for 80% of the game. There's plenty from yesterday for the coaches to work on with our guys, but we've had a few that are playing way better (Kopp, Race, Galloway and Bates), and the coaches now have a week to work with the guys on those loose details that hurt us. This is why you play games like this. Right now, they are better, but I saw quite a bit that I think we can work on and with.

So you want to put a far more proven 3 pt shooter in XJ (38%) on the bench for a freshman who's made 1-10? If he earns minutes he'll get them, but your logic is thin. Once JHS is back, he'll help with the spacing and ball handling and X can focus more on getting his shot and it should help alleviate some of his turnovers. That's the freshmen we need playing right now.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Dude has played 60 mins all season so 1 for 10 for most is like one bad game. Kid can shoot mark my words he should get more minutes we need all the shooters we can get right now.

Dude has played 60 mins all season so 1 for 10 for most is like one bad game. Kid can shoot mark my words he should get more minutes we need all the shooters we can get right now.
Did you see the shooting stats the last two games. WTF are you going on about?

Did you see the shooting stats the last two games. WTF are you going on about?
Besides Kopp and Bates we don't have any great three point shooters this should be the time when Gunn should be playing with JHS out. Not saying crazy playing time but 3 to 5 mins a game shoukd be about right.

So you want to put a far more proven 3 pt shooter in XJ (38%) on the bench for a freshman who's made 1-10? If he earns minutes he'll get them, but your logic is thin. Once JHS is back, he'll help with the spacing and ball handling and X can focus more on getting his shot and it should help alleviate some of his turnovers. That's the freshmen we need playing right now.
Xavier is not a three pont shooter i dont care if he shoots 38 percent the defense dares him to shoot just like Race.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Yep. People cry about our schedule then we get a stronger pre-con and people freak when we lose. Most probably aren't old enough to remember, what, 91 when UCLA just cooked us in the first game of the year, way worse than last night: 20 pts? Then we turn around and beat them in tourney I believe on our way to a F4 (I'm terrible with remembering details of years).

I hated losing, but I was actually encouraged on watching it this morning. We lost in that 8 minute or so period where X went to the bench and played them evenly otherwise, so like for 80% of the game. There's plenty from yesterday for the coaches to work on with our guys, but we've had a few that are playing way better (Kopp, Race, Galloway and Bates), and the coaches now have a week to work with the guys on those loose details that hurt us. This is why you play games like this. Right now, they are better, but I saw quite a bit that I think we can work on and with.
I'm with you..It was high level and pretty intense hoop.
We play like that or a touch better..
We're at lest playing the second weekend in March...With a decent seed we won't see a Zona type team hopefully till an elite 8 game..

Last edited:
Not all true. IU had 6 more shots. Efficiency could’ve won this game. IU missed a ton of open looks. Also, Arizona is just better. They are very skilled.
I efficiency could have made it closer. The fouls and FT killed us

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT