ADVERTISEMENT

IU has commitments from 2 4* guards in 2020..

jimmygoiu

All-American
Sep 5, 2001
the updated 247composite just came out, and IU has TWO 4* commitments. 247composite, which uses multiple ranking sites, is widely believed to be the most accurate ranking service.

TGalloway ranked #110 ( a 78 spot gain due to his strong summer-impressive!)
ALeal ranked #109

MCross is #97 and a 4 star.

Archie is building a PROGRAM with these 2 solid players as a base for the next 4 years. The negative posts from a few on this board look even more stupid. Recruiting momentum, 3 stars, lol...

Last edited:
I see you forgot to mention that Purdue's other recruit, Jaden Ivey, moved to #1 in the state over both Galloway and Leal. Just sayin...

Reactions: jcg_94
the updated 247composite just came out, and IU has TWO 4* commitments. 247composite, which uses multiple ranking sites, is widely believed to be the most accurate ranking service.

ALeal ranked #109

Archie is building a PROGRAM with these 2 solid players as a base for the next 4 years. The negative posts from a few on this board look even more stupid. Recruiting momentum, 3 stars, lol...
You're looking at the wrong numbers. Those are the 247 Sports rankings, not the 247 Composite rankings.

Their 247 Composite rankings:
Galloway 188 3* IN: 3
Leal 100 4* IN: 1
Cross 78 4* MA: 2

A team needs "guys who can play". After that, a team has to execute in a good system, play hard all the time, play tough defense, practice well, hit good shots, knock down free throws, and make good decisions, particularly in close games. They also need size, strength, speed, awareness, and ball handling.

With all that in mind, these 2 guys are good enough to win with.

You're looking at the wrong numbers. Those are the 247 Sports rankings, not the 247 Composite rankings.

Their 247 Composite rankings:
Galloway 188 3* IN: 3
Leal 100 4* IN: 1
Cross 78 4* MA: 2
Those are old rankings

And the sky was falling when we missed out on Morton, and then 2 months later we had to settle for Leal and Galloway, now Morton has dropped to 107 and the others at 109 and 110 and rising.

I think it worked out OK

Depends what site. Leal has dropped about 35 spots on rivals since December.

Those are old rankings
Those were the ones that are listed on each player's 247 page. But you're right in that Galloway's isn't totally up to date for some reason. Looking at the history of his Composite ranking, he's actually at 189 as of 8/21/2019 (today). Down 3 spots from the last update. The displayed rankings for Leal and Cross are accurate.

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Trey-Galloway-at-The-Culver-Academies-219961/RecruitRankHistory/
https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Anthony-Leal-at-Bloomington-South-210338/RecruitRankHistory/
https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Matt-Cross-at-Woodstock-Academy-229606/RecruitRankHistory/

Again, the OP confused the 247 Sports rankings (this doesn't include the rankings from other services) for the 247 Composite rankings.

I wonder why we haven't heard his name mentioned or why Archie didn't recruit him as hard as our two commits? Maybe he wants to be a farmer.
"Jul 29, 2019 - Purdue basketball Class of 2020 commit Jaden Ivey announced his intent to transfer from Mishawaka Marian to La Lumiere."

Reactions: darkhawk returns
I see you forgot to mention that Purdue's other recruit, Jaden Ivey, moved to #1 in the state over both Galloway and Leal. Just sayin...

Wrong. He's at #125, so he's not ranked higher than either Galloway or Leal. Also, he plays for La Lu so he's not really an IN HS player. He's not eligible for Mr. Bball or the IN All Stars.

Wrong. He's at #125, so he's not ranked higher than either Galloway or Leal. Also, he plays for La Lu so he's not really an IN HS player. He's not eligible for Mr. Bball or the IN All Stars.
Composites have not updated yet. Both Ivey and Galloway will go up when they do, but Ivey is #1 in Indiana on rivals, ESPN and 247.

I know they show some updates, today, but they are not done updating yet. There are 3 rating services that go into the ratings ...

Ivey
ESPN 83
Rivals 87
247 78
Composite 125

Galloway
ESPN ~110 to 120
Rivals ~151
247 110
Composite 188

NOTE: Galloway isn’t in either ESPN 100 or Rivals 150, but if you look at his positional ratings, the guys right in front of him are right around 150 on Rivals and close to the ESPN 100)

Leal
ESPN Not Rated (not outside of top 100 or whatever, but not even rated … assuming he just didn’t go to a camp or something)

Rivals 113
247 109
Composite 100

I suspect when totally done with the update, Ivey will be in the 80s and Galloway around 120 or so. I think Leal will be about the same he shows above (might slide down 1 or 2 spots, but nothing signficant).

Last edited:
I know they show some updates, today, but they are not done updating yet. There are 3 rating services that go into the ratings ...

Ivey
ESPN 83
Rivals 87
247 78
Composite 125

Galloway
ESPN ~110 to 120
Rivals ~151
247 110
Composite 188

NOTE: Galloway isn’t in either ESPN 100 or Rivals 150, but if you look at his positional ratings, the guys right in front of him are right around 150 on Rivals and close to the ESPN 100)

Leal
ESPN Not Rated (not outside of top 100 or whatever, but not even rated … assuming he just didn’t go to a camp or something)

Rivals 113
247 109
Composite 100

I suspect when totally done with the update, Ivey will be in the 80s and Galloway around 120 or so. I think Leal will be about the same he shows above (might slide down 1 or 2 spots, but nothing signficant).
Anything above top 40 is a crapshoot. Galloway was once ranked #68. Then he had an injury I believe and dropped. It is all about AAU visibility at national tournaments and Gauntlet circuits which Galloway was reported to be the best player on the Indiana Elite AAU National Champion of the Adidas Gauntlet circuit, which included top 15 Lander. Galloway was way under-rated going into this summer's AAU circuit. I personally would rather evaluate Galloway on his Culver team than on any AAU circuit.

Last edited:
Reactions: darkhawk returns

Ivey
ESPN 83
Rivals 87
247 78
Composite 125

Galloway
ESPN ~110 to 120
Rivals ~151
247 110
Composite 188

Leal

Rivals 113
247 109
Composite 100

The Purdue fan wants us to know that their kid is rated higher. Lol.

In that terminology: If these two aren't triples, they are long doubles, and you've got to have runners on base to do real damage. Put with the guys we seem to be doing well with on the recruiting circuit and the "Home Run" that was TJD and RP (Freshman PG last year, remember?), and we are in position to do some damage. I think a lot of people forget how young our core (outside of JM) was, and how undersized that team was. Have some perspective....this program is on the rise whether you like it or not....

Added some role players now Archie needs to hit some Home runs

ALeal ranked #109

No surprise from the haters. But I don’t see nearly as much since I set the biggest morons to ignore. Life is much better with most of the idiocy removed.

With that said, Miller needs results on the FLOOR if he wants to stay more than the next 2 years...

Galloway should be ranked in top 80.
2-Way standout. Galloway was once ranked #68 nationally by 247 Sports prior to this past season where he was injured.
Injuries often have a big negative impact. Memories are short. I love getting highly rated players, but prefer great fits. If we can get both, then it’s just perfect. And getting 4 star players who are great fits for the program are certainly the best way to build consistency. I think CAM is doing the right things. Just time to show it on the floor now.

Shoe companies/ AAU have a lot to do with rankings. It’s clear they are paying kids families well before college. They sure start to promote kids early. No wonder they expect to be paid in college. They’ve already been paid for AAU. We should always want the best kids in our state. CAM understands the importance as do many here.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: ufo33
In that terminology: If these two aren't triples, they are long doubles, and you've got to have runners on base to do real damage. Put with the guys we seem to be doing well with on the recruiting circuit and the "Home Run" that was TJD and RP (Freshman PG last year, remember?), and we are in position to do some damage. I think a lot of people forget how young our core (outside of JM) was, and how undersized that team was. Have some perspective....this program is on the rise whether you like it or not....
I hope it’s on the rise but how are we on the rise? I see this year resembling last year as far as record

I certainly hope you're right -- I want success for IU basketball, which means I want Archie Miller to be a successful coach here.

But, let's face it, it all comes down to results on the court. Recruiting is one of a series of means to that end. Personally, I try not to get too caught up in the sausage-making of recruiting. I've made the case gobs of times here why it's foolish to obsess over recruit ratings and rankings -- or to confuse them with a program's success. There's a relationship there, no question. But it's not as linear as many people believe. A coach can win without loading his roster with recruits that the scouts consider 5-stars.

That said, things aren't sitting well for Archie right now -- and even he seems to realize this (go read his comments from the Huber event, as an example). Things simply haven't gone very well for Archie at IU to this point. He's missed the tourney twice -- and nobody's expecting us to set the world on fire this season.

If his teams don't start having more success pretty soon, there's no way on earth he's going to make it 4 more years. Personally, I think he shouldn't see next season if he misses the tourney for a 3rd straight year. Reasonable people can disagree about that. But the pressure on the administration will get very intense if that happens.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I certainly hope you're right -- I want success for IU basketball, which means I want Archie Miller to be a successful coach here.

But, let's face it, it all comes down to results on the court. Recruiting is one of a series of means to that end. Personally, I try not to get too caught up in the sausage-making of recruiting. I've made the case gobs of times here why it's foolish to obsess over recruit ratings and rankings -- or to confuse them with a program's success. There's a relationship there, no question. But it's not as linear as many people believe. A coach can win without loading his roster with recruits that the scouts consider 5-stars.

That said, things aren't sitting well for Archie right now -- and even he seems to realize this (go read his comments from the Huber event, as an example). Things simply haven't gone very well for Archie at IU to this point. He's missed the tourney twice -- and nobody's expecting us to set the world on fire this season.

If his teams don't start having more success pretty soon, there's no way on earth he's going to make it 4 more years. Personally, I think he shouldn't see next season if he misses the tourney for a 3rd straight year. Reasonable people can disagree about that. But the pressure on the administration will get very intense if that happens.

Good thoughts.

It’s easy to confuse how a team is doing with how a program is doing. IU. As a basketball program, has been in a straight line down for decades. Getting a number 1 seed in 2013 (?), did not change that trend line.

I expect IU to have a good season this year. But, even if we go to the final four, our program is trending towards being Rutgers-like and not Kansas-like. We have a ton of ground to make up. 2 years of “success” like we had with Zeller isn’t going to change our basketball program overnight. It’s going to take time.

Frankly, even if one believes that miller is a great coach, he is building the foundations for program success and recruiting is awesome we won’t know (IMO) if this program has hit rock bottom until years later. After the bounce has become a distant memory.

It’s easy for me to be optimistic about this season. But 5 years from now? I have a much tougher time figuring out if the IU program is still eroding, or if we are grinding our way back up.

Reactions: BigMobe
But, even if we go to the final four, our program is trending towards being Rutgers-like and not Kansas-like.

Dude come on. There is a TON of middle ground between Kansas and Rutgers. No, IU is not performing like a blue-blood the last quarter century but at the same time IU is nowhere nearing performing like Rutgers who historically one of the worst P5 teams of all-time.

Reactions: minneman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT