ADVERTISEMENT

IU got hosed by the officials today.

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
I'll give you an example. Did you see Trayce Jackson Davis get fouled on three shot attempts on one possession and never get a foul called on Northwestern? What about the foul the refs called on IU when the replay showed there was no body contact on a layup attempt by a Northwestern player? Meanwhile, IU players would get their arms hit on layups on many possessions and the refs seldom called a foul on Northwestern.

I realize IU made a lot of turnovers and let Northwestern get too many uncontested shot attempts, but I still believe the refs stole the game from the Hoosiers.

I couldn't disagree more. I saw a lot of carelessness turnovers by IU, defensive breakdowns leaving their shooters wide open along with a wide open driving lane to the basket. Only TJD leaves it all on the floor. I feel sorry for him but he is also not without blame as he has defense lapses as well. This team has a lot of issues and it points directly at the coaching staff.

I'll give you an example. Did you see Trayce Jackson Davis get fouled on three shot attempts on one possession and never get a foul called on Northwestern? What about the foul the refs called on IU when the replay showed there was no body contact on a layup attempt by a Northwestern player? Meanwhile, IU players would get their arms hit on layups on many possessions and the refs seldom called a foul on Northwestern.

I realize IU made a lot of turnovers and let Northwestern get too many uncontested shot attempts, but I still believe the refs stole the game from the Hoosiers.
You are correct...He definitely got fouled on two of those late in the game..
But all those t.o. ..

Reactions: hookyIU1990

it's always those pesky officials. if only they weren't so biased against IU.

You give up 84 at home to anybody let alone Northwestern, you deserve to lose.
A lot of the reason Northwestern had 84 points is because the refs called IU for fouls that weren't actually fouls. If they had called fouls on Northwestern for the same type of contact, Northwestern would have been without a lot of its starters and IU would have won. Say what you want, the refs called the game in favor of Northwestern.

A lot of the reason Northwestern had 84 points is because the refs called IU for fouls that weren't actually fouls. If they had called fouls on Northwestern for the same type of contact, Northwestern would have been without a lot of its starters and IU would have won. Say what you want, the refs called the game in favor of Northwestern.
We weren’t called for our first foul of the game until the 6 minute mark of the first half. Spare me.

IU outrebounded Northwestern and also shot better from the field. Turnovers hurt the Hoosiers, but the officiating had an even greater negative impact on them.
Dude... we gave them 25 points via our turnovers. They gave us 6 off theirs.

They had 14 steals to our 2.

They outscored us by 9 on the break.

The foul differential was 2 in their favor.

Turnovers and defense cost us the the game.

Our inability to score during some stretches was a bigger issue than the officiating.

Part of the victim mentality so prevalent today.
Always somebody else responsible for shortcomings.

I knew Geronimo was going to have a rough game when he missed that wide open shot from directly underneath shortly after the opening tip-off. He's often described as a physical freak, but never as a good basketball player.

It was a good crowd today. The place was packed to the rafters. The many who left early thinking they had seen enough now probably regret not sticking around until the end.

Don Fisher's final post game comment was that Knight always emphasized the importance of intensely focused play the first five minutes of each half. This team fails to do that and I wonder if Woody does not have the personality to motivate such performance. IU has way too many lackadaisical passes and lapses on defense.

Our worst nightmare...JHS leaves for the NBA after one season. Malik Reneau loses the security of his good friend and decides to tests the waters elsewhere, knowing what lies ahead in IU's uphill battle to stay competitive in this league.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I knew Geronimo was going to have a rough game when he missed that wide open shot from directly underneath shortly after the opening tip-off. He's often described as a physical freak, but never as a good basketball player.

It was a good crowd today. The place was packed to the rafters. The many who left early thinking they had seen enough now probably regret not sticking around until the end.

Don Fisher's final post game comment was that Knight always emphasized the importance of intensely focused play the first five minutes of each half. This team fails to do that and I wonder if Woody does not have the personality to motivate such performance. IU has way too many lackadaisical passes and lapses on defense.

Our worst nightmare...JHS leaves for the NBA after one season. Malik Reneau loses the security of his good friend and decides to tests the waters elsewhere, knowing what lies ahead in IU's uphill battle to stay competitive in this league.
The intensity RMK required would help immensely.
Several times I have also wanted to see another RMK tactic…. bench the entire starting 5 who got behind by 15 (17?) early, or blew a freakin 21-point lead. Freakin’ sit them all, let 5 others piss the game away. Use the ugly loss to emphasize that lack of intensity won’t be tolerated.

What’s to lose - an L is an L.

Several times I have also wanted to see another RMK tactic…. bench the entire starting 5 who got behind by 15 (17?) early, or blew a freakin 21-point lead. Freakin’ sit them all, let 5 others piss the game away. Use the ugly loss to emphasize that lack of intensity won’t be tolerated.

I completely agree. The downside is the portal. Players hold all the cards and they know it.

No leadership on this team, no Coverdale types to step up.
071415jjs-300x211.jpg

Another thing Fischer mentioned is that because of today's parity, IU must be prepared to bring their "A" game every game. Also said the Big Ten is loaded with good coaches. He didn't say "better" but I wondered if it was something implied from deep within the hidden recesses of his cerebral cortex.

We were never in today's game, really.

Can't blame refs.

Refs were way worse against Iowa! Didnt really watch the 2nd half today so cant say if IU was screwed. Seeing alot more NBA style calls from refs though this year! And it seems the B10 wants to make sure home teams do not get any benefits from home calls like they have over the years! Just not a good look by the B10 or ncaa as a whole! Kind of think the ncaa wants to turn into street ball.

Refs were way worse against Iowa! Didnt really watch the 2nd half today so cant say if IU was screwed. Seeing alot more NBA style calls from refs though this year! And it seems the B10 wants to make sure home teams do not get any benefits from home calls like they have over the years! Just not a good look by the B10 or ncaa as a whole! Kind of think the ncaa wants to turn into street ball.
There was one egregious call late in the 2H where they called a foul on Tamar on a rebound with the NW heading out of bounds that I thought was bad, but turnovers and inability to get any kind of significant stops in consecutive possessions doomed IU. Tamar also missed a huge front end after the under 8 media TO in an 8 point game just as IU had made a run and took back some momentum. NW pushed the lead back to 14 by the next time we scored and that was that.

There was one egregious call late in the 2H where they called a foul on Tamar on a rebound with the NW heading out of bounds that I thought was bad, but turnovers and inability to get any kind of significant stops in consecutive possessions doomed IU. Tamar also missed a huge front end after the under 8 media TO in an 8 point game just as IU had made a run and took back some momentum. NW pushed the lead back to 14 by the next time we scored and that was that.
There was a no call when TJD scored at the rim at about the 15 min mark in H2. He was hit by two defenders. Could have called it on either one. TJD looked directly at the red that missed the call and screamed “call that”!! And you could hear it in the stands He was spot on.

That said, we weren’t ready to play and that cost us the game. Will be good th get the students back.

Really proud of TJD playing through pain. He was having trouble moving laterally and his lift is still limited.

There was a no call when TJD scored at the rim at about the 15 min mark in H2. He was hit by two defenders. Could have called it on either one. TJD looked directly at the red that missed the call and screamed “call that”!! And you could hear it in the stands He was spot on.

That said, we weren’t ready to play and that cost us the game. Will be good th get the students back.

Really proud of TJD playing through pain. He was having trouble moving laterally and his lift is still limited.
Did you also notice during one possession in the second half that Trayce Jackson Davis put up three shots under the basket and was fouled on all three of them, but the refs didn't call it? Fortunately, the third attempt wound up in an IU player's hands and he made a basket.

Did you also notice during one possession in the second half that Trayce Jackson Davis put up three shots under the basket and was fouled on all three of them, but the refs didn't call it? Fortunately, the third attempt wound up in an IU player's hands and he made a basket.
I really couldn’t tell from the angle I sit at. We are conditioned to assume somebody is getting smacked. I will take your word for it.

NW employed the hack a Hoosier defense and in large part got away with it. They only had one guy foul out.

JHS looked like a lottery pick today. I hope he goes.

JHS looked like a lottery pick today. I hope he goes.
We all hope he goes, but not before we have another year or two of watching his talent on display in the candy stripes. The last couple of games he looks like a better shooting guard than point guard.

We were never in today's game, really.

Can't blame refs.
You must have been one of the many lemmings following the lead of others to the parking lot, anxious to jump into your cars. As large of throng as it was who left the game early in Assembly Hall, close to 50%, I can only imagine what percentage turned off their TV sets early. In the end, it proved to be one of the more spectacular finishes the IU faithful have witnessed.

This just might be your most idiotic post ever and that's saying a lot!

I heard Fisher on the radio today he says this team does not look focused or serious during warmups. He said it was the total opposite watching a Knight team warmup or even Ohio State when they had Greg Oden. I am not sure if if JHS leaves but if he does I am srue Reneau likely will as well.

Reactions: abraxis

I think you could put a stop to this if you were pacing up and down the side of the court during the game and gave the ref’s your famous death stare after each bad call. 3-4 times of doing that, and every state after that would tell the ref “don’t you dare!”

Reactions: hookyIU1990

I realize IU made a lot of turnovers and let Northwestern get too many uncontested shot attempts, but I still believe the refs stole the game from the Hoosiers

Oh for Fu*ks sake....blaming the refs for the uninspired effort by IU :)

I heard Fisher on the radio today he says this team does not look focused or serious during warmups. He said it was the total opposite watching a Knight team warmup or even Ohio State when they had Greg Oden.
Not the first time Fisch has made that comment or that it's been discussed here.

What did they miss?

In the end, it proved to be one of the more spectacular finishes the IU faithful have witnessed.
I see, you're into meaningless 3/4 court shots at the buzzer. Ever heard of the Globetrotters? I think you would be entertained.

What did they miss?

I see, you're into meaningless 3/4 court shots at the buzzer. Ever heard of the Globetrotters? I think you would be entertained.

It was certainly an uphill struggle that never peaked into downward glide, that's for sure, but it was a great comeback after being down by 16 relatively late in the game. If IU had been double lucky to have the NW dude miss his second free throw it would have been an Assembly Hall game for the ages if winning in OT. As disappointing as the final outcome was, I never tire of seeing 3/4 court length shots careen of the glass into the net. If nothing else, it was a spectacular ending, despite coming up one point short.

I appreciate the opportunity to watch a game in Assembly Hall. I will never leave a game early. If for no other reason, it's disrespectful to our players who work so hard to please us.

I'm of old enough vintage that I watched many hours of Globetrotter/Washington Generals games on TV. Tell me you don't have a soft spot in your heart today when you hear "Sweet Georgia Brown" as mental images of Meadowlark Lemon appear.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT