ADVERTISEMENT

IU Football Missed Prime Time

iubhounds

All-American
Feb 15, 2002
I just watched the introduction press conference with Deion Sanders at Colorado. They spoke of support from the top and the NIL machine was already up and running. An hour after the press conference a 4-star WR had committed. Some of his new hires is the DL coach from Texas A&M, Assistant Defensive coach from Alabama. I watch the 15 minute video of him speaking to the team. You could tell by their responses and body language why were they were 1-11 this year. He was up front and told them some would not be there when he got back to Colorado. I believe his commitment to work that he spoke of, shocked more than a few.

I have no doubt based on his beliefs, and confidence in himself and his system, Colorado will be more than competitive in 2-3 years. He stated this was not a 1 year turn around that it would take time. I was sick to my stomach thinking "what could have been" right here in Bloomington, even though the coaching position was not and is not open. That might have made a difference in his response to the first phone call to see how much interest he might have.

Colorado's first game next year is with Nebraska.

You could just tell that Colorado is going to be wining football again after 20 years of losing. How nice would that be at Indiana.

Last edited:
I just watched the introduction press conference with Deon Sanders at Colorado. They spoke of support from the top and the NIL machine was already up and running. An hour after the press conference a 4-star WR had committed. Some of his new hires is the DL coach from Texas A&M, Assistant Defensive coach from Alabama. I watch the 15 minute video of him speaking to the team. You could tell by their responses and body language why were they were 1-11 this year. He was up front and told them some would not be there when he got back to Colorado. I believe his commitment to work that he spoke of, shocked more than a few.

I have no doubt based on his beliefs, and confidence in himself and his system, Colorado will be more than competitive in 2-3 years. He stated this was not a 1 year turn around that it would take time. I was sick to my stomach thinking "what could have been" right here in Bloomington, even though the coaching position was not and is not open. That might have made a difference in his response to the first phone call to see how much interest he might have.

You could just tell that Colorado is going to be wining football again after 20 years of losing. How nice would that be at Indiana.
There’s no chance he would’ve come to IU.

I just watched the introduction press conference with Deon Sanders at Colorado. They spoke of support from the top and the NIL machine was already up and running. An hour after the press conference a 4-star WR had committed. Some of his new hires is the DL coach from Texas A&M, Assistant Defensive coach from Alabama. I watch the 15 minute video of him speaking to the team. You could tell by their responses and body language why were they were 1-11 this year. He was up front and told them some would not be there when he got back to Colorado. I believe his commitment to work that he spoke of, shocked more than a few.

I still smell "phony"... Could just be coming from deep central Cold Front pushed be a serious Westerly ( the Co presser ???)

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
I still smell "phony"... Could just be coming from deep central Cold Front pushed be a serious Westerly ( the Co presser ???)
People that are phony don't turn around programs in their 2nd year, no matter what level the competition is. He has won super bowls and World Series. he knows people. He can relate to players and parents. He knows football. There is nothing phony about that.

I agree. I guess I should have framed more like it would be nice to have a big name coach like that to be hired by IU.
I’ve always loved Deion. I even have a Deion Sanders Cincinnati Reds jersey. Colorado will give me a second team to cheer on next season.

If he has success at Colorado, and Norvell doesn’t get it done at FSU..,

Reactions: vesuvius13
I’ve always loved Deion. I even have a Deion Sanders Cincinnati Reds jersey. Colorado will give me a second team to cheer on next season.

If he has success at Colorado, and Norvell doesn’t get it done at FSU..,
I thought Deion was approached by FSU a couple of years ago and he turned them down ??? That Reds jersey would be classic. I am a Reds fan.

Reactions: Kelly_32
People that are phony don't turn around programs in their 2nd year, no matter what level the competition is. He has won super bowls and World Series. he knows people. He can relate to players and parents. He knows football. There is nothing phony about that.
We'll see...

I just watched the introduction press conference with Deion Sanders at Colorado. They spoke of support from the top and the NIL machine was already up and running. An hour after the press conference a 4-star WR had committed. Some of his new hires is the DL coach from Texas A&M, Assistant Defensive coach from Alabama. I watch the 15 minute video of him speaking to the team. You could tell by their responses and body language why were they were 1-11 this year. He was up front and told them some would not be there when he got back to Colorado. I believe his commitment to work that he spoke of, shocked more than a few.

Ohhh man, I'm ecstatic. Been a Buffs fan for years. The Tucker debacle still stings. Prime will have them rolling again. It's about time.
BTW CU opens against TCU then plays the corn on the 9th at Folsom. I'm going with a crew of people it will be epic. Can't wait. Haven't seen Ralphie run in a long time.

As far as IU Idk lame duck year? Allen could have moved on to usf, he should have, now next year could be a freaking disaster. Aaron Wellman is still employed smh.

Allen has one last shot and he is standing pat with just one new hire meanwhile players are leaving in this nightmare. Wtf. Dolson better pull his head out of his ass and get a plan in place with PLENTY of backing. This sucks.

Ohhh man, I'm ecstatic. Been a Buffs fan for years. The Tucker debacle still stings. Prime will have them rolling again. It's about time.
BTW CU opens against TCU then plays the corn on the 9th at Folsom. I'm going with a crew of people it will be epic. Can't wait. Haven't seen Ralphie run in a long time.

As far as IU Idk lame duck year? Allen could have moved on to usf, he should have, now next year could be a freaking disaster. Aaron Wellman is still employed smh.

Allen has one last shot and he is standing pat with just one new hire meanwhile players are leaving in this nightmare. Wtf. Dolson better pull his head out of his ass and get a plan in place with PLENTY of backing. This sucks.
I would buy a Buffs sweatshirt but I never buy anything black and gold :) Denver Post articles are free to read. 400 crammed into their facility for the intro. NIL approved before he signed. A 5-star WR commit before the conference is practically over. There is a fine example of the school admin from the prez to the boosters in full support for good college football team.

They said yesterday their first home game is with Nebraska.

He’s a clown show and this will be a disaster in Boulder. Although if he wins just a few games he will use it as a stepping stone to another unwarranted job

He’s a clown show and this will be a disaster in Boulder. Although if he wins just a few games he will use it as a stepping stone to another unwarranted job
Could be but like all coaching changes you just never know. With UCLA still possible status and USC leaving, Colorado could compete with UW, Oregon and Utah. It will be interesting to see what happens but this morning I just changed my focus to the PUke barn fire on if their HC goes back home. I am glad I am retired otherwise I would get nothing done because of these multiple forums to keep up on.

Colorado's AD said this is his last FB coaching hire and he is sticking with him win or lose.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Did you watch his intro speech? That guy is an idiot. Who told everybody to hit the portal he was "brining his own luggage with him". Would be a shame if succeeded.
I watched 3 videos ... his intro conference, the team meeting and when he walked through the facilities. The body language and the lack of questions when Sanders asked for them ... showed why they were 1-11 this year. He put them on notice, commit to work or hit the portal. I see nothing wrong with that.

Riley at USC "brought his own luggage" plus starting players from major schools and see what a 4 win team in 2021 did in 2022. I am NOT a fan of the portal but Deion will have similar success in the portal and recruiting. He will raid Texas and California and keep the locals from leaving the state.

Did you watch his intro speech? That guy is an idiot. Who told everybody to hit the portal he was "brining his own luggage with him". Would be a shame if succeeded.

I agree!... I watched it and couldn't believe what he was saying to guys he's never met or spoken to... These are college kids....

If this is how he introduces himself to "amateur" college athletes with...."I'm bringin' my own luggage.." hit the road,.... then Deion is a text book example of what's wrong with college sports.

For all the kids at Colorado who did bust their ass for Colorado and then have to listen to this crap.... I hope, for their benefit, Deion fails. What a jerk.

I agree!... I watched it and couldn't believe what he was saying to guys he's never met or spoken to... These are college kids....

If this is how he introduces himself to "amateur" college athletes with...."I'm bringin' my own luggage.." hit the road,.... then Deion is a text book example of what's wrong with college sports.

For all the kids at Colorado who did bust their ass for Colorado and then have to listen to this crap.... I hope, for their benefit, Deion fails. What a jerk.
I am just guessing here ... I doubt you liked Kevin Wilson at IU, who recruited pro potential players that actually were drafted and played in the NFL, some still playing. They are college kids at Colorado that were studs at their high schools in football. Some wear the big boy pants and others don't. I loved Deion's team meeting video.

first of all these are not kids. and secondly the supreme court put an end to any pretense of amateurism in major college sports.

A follow up to Colorado's announcement yesterday. I pulled this off Twitter

"A source at Colorado tells me over 200 recruits and portal transfers have reached out in the last 12 hours. Some of them are 4 and 5-star caliber players. Deion Sanders has a chance to make some noise before Signing Day. NIL money is also rolling in, I'm told."

Deion Sanders is now a grown man. He is an adult and he clearly cares about his players. And he has been tasked with getting black players from "the city" to come to lily white Colorado.

Those recruits are going to be listening to him. And I would be surprised if he is not extremely successful.

first of all these are not kids. and secondly the supreme court put an end to any pretense of amateurism in major college sports.
Small correction … the players *themselves* put an end to any pretense of amateurism.

This is now real. Produce or GTFO, or, if you hang around nonetheless, prepare to be ranked out just like anyone who makes shitty work of his job.

Complete quote from Deion Sanders: “It ain’t gonna be no more of a mess that these wonderful fans, the student body and some of your parents have put up with for probably two decades now. I’m coming, and when I get here, it’s gonna be changed,” Sanders told a room full of Colorado players. “So I want y’all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you’re gonna get because if more of you jump in, the more room you make.”

WTF!... He is tactless... No leader and teacher (ugh, this is still college, right?) would say it as poorly as he did.... Regardless of how he might want to spin this later, for him talk to the group of college players... who probably AREN'T getting any NIL... as if they are the reason the program has failed for the last two decades and that he's throwing them to the curb without looking at each individual, is wrong... totally wrong.

He might care about HIS players (read that however you want) but the others, forget it... The young men that are already there, he'll screw them in s a** for all the wrong reasons.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
I will take a wait and see approach to Deion Sanders. He was successful at Jackson State but he also drew some talented players there (including his son) because of his name. I don’t know how much of his success was due to his coaching ability vs having much more talented players than his opponents. He may have NIL commitments and 4 star recruits who are interested, but so do all of his conference foes, many of whom have better tradition and larger media markets for NIL.

Could be but like all coaching changes you just never know. With UCLA still possible status and USC leaving, Colorado could compete with UW, Oregon and Utah. It will be interesting to see what happens but this morning I just changed my focus to the PUke barn fire on if their HC goes back home. I am glad I am retired otherwise I would get nothing done because of these multiple forums to keep up on.

Colorado's AD said this is his last FB coaching hire and he is sticking with him win or lose.
fred said the same thing when he hired wilson.

I don't know, man. Did you see the 60 Minutes piece on "Prime"?

Sure, he has a schtick, but I think he also knows what he's doing. The man has an ego, but he also has a work ethic second to none, and he expects that from his team.

With enough good coaches and big-time recruits, I think he'll have them as a national power in a few years. And Colorado should not be a touch sell.

Complete quote from Deion Sanders: “It ain’t gonna be no more of a mess that these wonderful fans, the student body and some of your parents have put up with for probably two decades now. I’m coming, and when I get here, it’s gonna be changed,” Sanders told a room full of Colorado players. “So I want y’all to get ready to go ahead and jump in the portal and do whatever you’re gonna get because if more of you jump in, the more room you make.”

WTF!... He is tactless... No leader and teacher (ugh, this is still college, right?) would say it as poorly as he did.... Regardless of how he might want to spin this later, for him talk to the group of college players... who probably AREN'T getting any NIL... as if they are the reason the program has failed for the last two decades and that he's throwing them to the curb without looking at each individual, is wrong... totally wrong.

He might care about HIS players (read that however you want) but the others, forget it... The young men that are already there, he'll screw them in s a** for all the wrong reasons.
But wasn't that Knight's message? If you don't want to be here, leave.

Knight was the king of tactless, but his methods were very effective.

I'm actually hoping Sanders succeeds. I think the world needs less pandering and more ass kicking. lol

But wasn't that Knight's message? If you don't want to be here, leave.

Knight was the king of tactless, but his methods were very effective.

I'm actually hoping Sanders succeeds. I think the world needs less pandering and more ass kicking. lol

Yep, Knight's message and tact too... but what worked 30 years ago doesn't get out the door today...

On the other hand, you know me, I'm all for less babysitting and pissin' vinegar if that's what's needed....

But, again, blaming a group of guys who have for the most part only been there a couple of years, for decades of failure, when it's the coaches and AD who've been running it into the ground is BS too..

If he is the "coach" he thinks he is then why not "coach" up the current players that are already in the program? A good "coach" would take this group on as a challenge to turn the program around not tell them there's no hope and look into transferring. If players need to be told they should look somewhere else then fine, do it privately with each player.... my reason is most all of these guys aren't getting NIL money so they're not "pros" like Deon is recruiting.

Deion won't be playing against HBC talent or coaching any more so he'd better turn it around in one season or he's going to look like a fool....

Reactions: DANC
Yep, Knight's message and tact too... but what worked 30 years ago doesn't get out the door today...

On the other hand, you know me, I'm all for less babysitting and pissin' vinegar if that's what's needed....

But, again, blaming a group of guys who have for the most part only been there a couple of years, for decades of failure, when it's the coaches and AD who've been running it into the ground is BS too..

If he is the "coach" he thinks he is then why not "coach" up the current players that are already in the program? A good "coach" would take this group on as a challenge to turn the program around not tell them there's no hope and look into transferring. If players need to be told they should look somewhere else then fine, do it privately with each player.... my reason is most all of these guys aren't getting NIL money so they're not "pros" like Deon is recruiting.

Deion won't be playing against HBC talent or coaching any more so he'd better turn it around in one season or he's going to look like a fool....
It's interesting - different styles work for different coaches.

There's the Knight my-way-or-the-highway approach, or there's the Kellen Deboer style - calm, analytical, a brilliant tactician.

If there was a guaranteed formula, everyone would be copying it.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that speech. EVERYONE is praising it. Deion didn't bring those players to Colorado. He also walked through the Colorado facilities and called all those recruits unworthy of being able to have things like that. Have you ever seen the CU facilities? The players currently there are a bunch of stoners that don't give a f*ck and are undeserving. Kinda like what Sampson left behind. NOBODY at CU is busting their ass trust me its almost as bad as when Jon Embree was there. How many times do we see these kids commit only to line up with a pile full of hats and pick something out of the blue when staffs and coaches have poured their hearts out at these kids. Guess what its a 2 way street.

The standard there along with the culture needs gutted. He knows what he's doing and cleaning house. Good for him!!! If a kid deserves to be there and is salvageable as he says they will get their shot. I assure you most will hit the road without question.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that speech. EVERYONE is praising it. Deion didn't bring those players to Colorado. He also walked through the Colorado facilities and called all those recruits unworthy of being able to have things like that. Have you ever seen the CU facilities? The players currently there are a bunch of stoners that don't give a f*ck and are undeserving. Kinda like what Sampson left behind. NOBODY at CU is busting their ass trust me its almost as bad as when Jon Embree was there. How many times do we see these kids commit only to line up with a pile full of hats and pick something out of the blue when staffs and coaches have poured their hearts out at these kids. Guess what its a 2 way street.

The standard there along with the culture needs gutted. He knows what he's doing and cleaning house. Good for him!!! If a kid deserves to be there and is salvageable as he says they will get their shot. I assure you most will hit the road without question.

Well, I guess you've been there and met everyone, so you know... thanks.

Well, I guess you've been there and met everyone, so you know... thanks.
It doesn't matter. These kids today are spoiled rotten brats. I really don't give two sh!ts. I'm not aiming this at you either senlo I'm a boomer I was brought up different. We got our asses paddled in school. Today you threaten your kid with discipline they fire back I'll call the cops. The kids at Colorado will get their chance all Deion on did was put them all on notice. There is a new sheriff in town and he's old school.

Bill McCartney had the same Godly values back in the late 80's at CU and most of the 3rd string at CU would have started anywhere in the country. Deion is bringing it back.

Radio talking heads (Valenti and crew) here in Detroit were not praising it. They also played a clip of him declaring his son as the #1QB. There sentiment was get some popcorn and beer and set back and watch the train wreck.

It doesn't matter. These kids today are spoiled rotten brats. I really don't give two sh!ts. I'm not aiming this at you either senlo I'm a boomer I was brought up different. We got our asses paddled in school. Today you threaten your kid with discipline they fire back I'll call the cops. The kids at Colorado will get their chance all Deion on did was put them all on notice. There is a new sheriff in town and he's old school.

Bill McCartney had the same Godly values back in the late 80's at CU and most of the 3rd string at CU would have started anywhere in the country. Deion is bringing it back.

I agree about today's pampering... it's over the top and needs to be stopped. I'm old school too... most of the coaches I admired coached "old school"... but they didn't throw their players under the bus. They did it in private.

Deion's approach and the way he generalized all of these young men... and releasing it on national TV.... putting on his "Deion Show"... was wrong.

Do it privately.... He's never made and investment in any one of them, doesn't know them, had yet to meet with any one individually, so what gives him the right to belittle everyone in the program .... and make a show out of it.

Tactless and I'm not impressed if that's how he thinks a program should be run.

Again.... he's yet to play against the big boys and it might not be as easy as a snap-of-the-fingers.... like he's projecting.

I watched the 60 Minutes story and came away very impressed, but after seeing this, I kinda hope his teams get their asses handed to them.. Nothing against the players but I hope he finds he might not be all he thinks he is.

Reactions: baileyiu
I agree about today's pampering... it's over the top and needs to be stopped. I'm old school too... most of the coaches I admired coached "old school"... but they didn't throw their players under the bus. They did it in private.

Deion's approach and the way he generalized all of these young men... and releasing it on national TV.... putting on his "Deion Show"... was wrong.

Do it privately.... He's never made and investment in any one of them, doesn't know them, had yet to meet with any one individually, so what gives him the right to belittle everyone in the program .... and make a show out of it.

Tactless and I'm not impressed if that's how he thinks a program should be run.

Again.... he's yet to play against the big boys and it might not be as easy as a snap-of-the-fingers.... like he's projecting.

I watched the 60 Minutes story and came away very impressed, but after seeing this, I kinda hope his teams get their asses handed to them.. Nothing against the players but I hope he finds he might not be all he thinks he is.
They gave him a list is what I read. There were not too many on the "Good List of players". Personally I like the approach. In other words sh!t or get off the pot! No pun intended. I did not see too many hands go up asking questions because he basically came in and said get your shit together now or GTFO. Therefore, the door is open both ways in and out.

The problem is Deion is he is what he thinks he is. He was a freak. An absolute, not from this planet, phenomenon. Thats what he wants to draw to Colorado. I'm sure he will have struggles, but he is so respected that he can pick and choose from coaches and players. The problem for him will be keeping all those Ego's intact. The other thing is I've never seen a coach have so many upper 3, 4, and 5 star players show the kind of interest he is already getting. The thread on the Buffs site with new offers is mind boggling. He already has the #1 recruit on board. It should be interesting.

On the other hand here is Indiana, Allen, and Dolson sinking and doing NOTHING bout it.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Radio talking heads (Valenti and crew) here in Detroit were not praising it. They also played a clip of him declaring his son as the #1QB. There sentiment was get some popcorn and beer and set back and watch the train wreck.
Great msm at its finest again. Right after he said that about his son he said he's gonna have to earn it. So they clipped it and created a villain. Would you expect anything else? LMAO.

They gave him a list is what I read. There were not too many on the "Good List of players". Personally I like the approach. In other words sh!t or get off the pot! No pun intended. I did not see too many hands go up asking questions because he basically came in and said get your shit together now or GTFO. Therefore, the door is open both ways in and out.

The problem is Deion is he is what he thinks he is. He was a freak. An absolute, not from this planet, phenomenon. Thats what he wants to draw to Colorado. I'm sure he will have struggles, but he is so respected that he can pick and choose from coaches and players. The problem for him will be keeping all those Ego's intact. The other thing is I've never seen a coach have so many upper 3, 4, and 5 star players show the kind of interest he is already getting. The thread on the Buffs site with new offers is mind boggling. He already has the #1 recruit on board. It should be interesting.

On the other hand here is Indiana, Allen, and Dolson sinking and doing NOTHING bout it.
Deion was a one of a kind athlete. I loved watching him at FSU.He was brash and a showboat but not really like the standing over guys and that kind of stuff we are seeing today.

How good of an actual coach is he? Hard telling, what kind of assistants and players he can bring in will be the biggest thing.

Reactions: Indianaftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT