ADVERTISEMENT

IU fan in Northern Michigan

Beaten Favorite

Freshman
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
I am a transplanted Hoosier (Fulton County) living in Northern Michigan and I am traveling to Louisville in November. After listening to ISB this week I want to know if I need to go through Ohio or Illinois to get there? LOL

Michiganders were laughing when Jim thought you might need to go through Wisconsin to get to the Upper Peninsula. We built the Mackinac bridge (the longest suspension bridge in the western hemisphere) to get there. Please visit Michigan one summer! More shoreline and boats than Florida.

Been an avid IU fan forever. Was on Peegs since the 90's. Go Hoosiers

I am a transplanted Hoosier (Fulton County) living in Northern Michigan and I am traveling to Louisville in November. After listening to ISB this week I want to know if I need to go through Ohio or Illinois to get there? LOL

Michiganders were laughing when Jim thought you might need to go through Wisconsin to get to the Upper Peninsula. We built the Mackinac bridge (the longest suspension bridge in the western hemisphere) to get there. Please visit Michigan one summer! More shoreline and boats than Florida.

UP, and Mackinac Island, are right up there with my favorite places on this planet. And I'm very well traveled.

4 decades ago traveled to the UP frequently. Always went Chicago-Wisconsin route. Was about 40 minutes shorter than north to the bridge. Don't know about today's traffic.
My wife is from Rochester.

UP, and Mackinac Island, are right up there with my favorite places on this planet. And I'm very well traveled.
me too. Caught my fishing itch early in life up in the Crystal Falls area, fishing the Michigamme and Menomonie River systems and impoundments. Lots of back woods to wander up there. Summertime is hard to beat (bring the deet, skeeters by the trillions,,,and ankle-biting black flies are a pain in the ass while in a boat).

But....winters in the UP are the real deal. And 6 straight months of it. Closer you get to Marquette, and Lake Gitche Gumee- the deeper the snow. Marquette averages 300" /season. That's not too far off from some of the major ski resorts in CO.
Hell the lakes I fish in northern WI don't even ice out until first of May.

But if you love snowmobiling...ice fishing...deer hunting...and lots and lots of snowblowing, and an awesome-albeit short seasonsed- summer--..the UP has it going all year round.

The Mac bridge is pretty cool, haven't seen that in 30 yrs. Want to take the kids on the lake Michigan loop trip some summer.

Reactions: 75Plymouth
4 decades ago traveled to the UP frequently. Always went Chicago-Wisconsin route. Was about 40 minutes shorter than north to the bridge. Don't know about today's traffic.
My wife is from Rochester.
I've watched some Rochester basketball games online. I love their basketball court with the Zebra at half court. Nice facility overall from what I could tell.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

Are you anywhere near where Todd Jadlow came from? I thought he was from the UP.

Love the UP

dGy8vSI.jpg

2Qa2sAP.jpg

wtsqgty.jpg

GFgvwzW.jpg

Depends on where your conceal and carry license was issued?

Me too.

First trip as a kid was to Isle Royale National park & the U.P. circa 1966

Did a great circle tour of Lake Michigan with our son about 20 years ago & he's never forgotten it - so mission accomplished.

Just beautiful country.
I've been to Isle Royale multiple times. The first picture I posted is Feldtman Ridge as you head south out of the Ranger station at Windigo and climb before heading down towards the lake.

Isle Royale might be my favorite place on earth.

I've watched some Rochester basketball games online. I love their basketball court with the Zebra at half court. Nice facility overall from what I could tell.
I was from the small town of Akron. After IU and military moved to Michigan. Retired and bought a bar/restaurant called the Railside Bar and Grill in Elmira, MI. and live on a small lake. Living the dream !

Used to go to the Michigan 500 in Auburn Hills for many years! Always a fun trip! Before I was born, my father travelled to the race with Bobby Plump and Bob Collins(old Indystar sportswriter). They drank the whole way there and Plump got so hammered that he passed out and missed the whole race! Thought that was always a funny story!

Three year resident in the UP when in grade school. Dad stationed at KI Sawyer AFB in the mid-80s. Frequent drives from Indy through the Chi, Green Bay, Escanaba and Gwinn to arrive on base.

Nothing like seeing the autumn colors while driving thru the UP and the sights along Lake Superior were amazing. One day will get back and reminisce of days gone by.

I was from the small town of Akron. After IU and military moved to Michigan. Retired and bought a bar/restaurant called the Railside Bar and Grill in Elmira, MI. and live on a small lake. Living the dream !
Small world, my wife's father was from Akron. Of course settled in Rochester after marrying her mother.
Used to fish on Lake Ellen outside of Channing. Was there snowmobiling I believe late 70's early 80's and the snow was belt deep to a 9ft. Indian. Believe I still have a cookbook from Sagola ladies auxiliary of the AL or VFW.
Visited the Soo Locks 1 summer. That was quite a sight.
Yup when I was young and invincible we did a lot of fish drankin in that area. Haven't thought about the UP in a long time.

Jeff Tilden was better than Ron Dittman. (wink, wink)

Three year resident in the UP when in grade school. Dad stationed at KI Sawyer AFB in the mid-80s. Frequent drives from Indy through the Chi, Green Bay, Escanaba and Gwinn to arrive on base.

Nothing like seeing the autumn colors while driving thru the UP and the sights along Lake Superior were amazing. One day will get back and reminisce of days gone by.
was fishing on Stanley Lake, just SW of Iron River back in the late 80s with my dad.....early morning, sun just coming up and we were on the eastern shore in front of an 80 foot tall wall of pine trees and white birch. Heard this low grade noise in the distance, slowly got louder until it felt like the trees were shaking, looked up over the tree line and watched a B52 fly over, at very low altitude (had to be less than 1000 feet). Still remember it like it was yesterday.

The B52 had to be from Sawyer.

Reactions: HOOS13R and kkott

Get to Michigan at least once per year. Been all over. Lots of great breweries in that state.

I was there before Tildens auto repair. Stephen's texaco was our hangout. Ice fishing on Manitou was fun as a kid. Bluegills a lot bigger in N. Michigan.
Manitou has been different since the hydrilla started booming and then the eradication program took place.

• Sad
Reactions: kkott
Promoted him before on here, but if you like the MI outdoors and UP, find some writing by Jerry Dennis. He can wax poetic and get off-topic, but a great writer and is almost exclusively about fly fishing and outdoor topics in MI, around Traverse City where I think he still lives, and the UP. I really enjoy his books of short stories; I think there are 3, but they are great to read when you have 10-30 minutes to kill. I've probably had a JD book on my nightstand for the better part of the last 30 years, as they are great to read before bed or if I wake up and can't get back to sleep.

Akron is a big town--I am from Macy!
You're not one of those guys from Deedsville who says he's from Macy to make himself sound more sophisticated are you?

The tri-county area Cass, Miami, and Fulton is representing in this thread.

As an 84 IU mba grad I did not want to live north of Indy. Took a job in MI and been here ever since. Live in the south and cottage up north most of the summer. All that’s been said here is true.

But when our oldest daughter took a job in Indiana wife said she would never move back because Indiana people are so nice. She is right.

American, Polish AND Mexican food!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT