ADVERTISEMENT

IU commit Cam Beauchamp.

plantm01

Redshirt
Oct 21, 2006
I coach baseball at Whitko High School and today we play Peru who has IU commit Cam Beauchamp. Pretty sure today is his day to pitch so I will get a first hand look at Cam. He pitched against us last year and completely shut us dawn. Hope to see him tonight.
We also faced another commit, Andrew Saalfrank this year so it will be good to be able to compare the 2. I will try and give a report after the game.

Wow what a game and what a pitching performance by Cam. We, Whitko, won a low scoring game 2-1. Cam pitched 7 inning throwing about 120+ pitches. He struck out 18 of our batters. We didn't have a gun on him but I assume he throws around 90 or so. Really good command with his fastball. He used his fastball a lot as he should with high school pitchers. His off speed is also pretty good. Command with the off speed isn't as pin point but still good. This kid is really really good. Only thing I wasn't to impressed is his move to 1st is very easy to read for a lefty. He also goes with a high leg kick instead of slide step. We didn't get many chances to run on him but the one chance we got we stole pretty easy. Whatever it's worth the kid can also hit too. He's hitting over .400 on the year. This kid is the real deal. Can't wait to see him in Bloomington.

Another note. Compared to Andrew Saalfrank, Beauchamp probably throws a bit harder. I would guess 91, 92. Saalfrank probably sits at 88, 89. But what Saalfrank is better at is his off spead. His slider is nasty. Both very good pitchers. Love that they both are Hoosiers.

Wow what a game and what a pitching performance by Cam. We, Whitko, won a low scoring game 2-1. Cam pitched 7 inning throwing about 120+ pitches. He struck out 18 of our batters. We didn't have a gun on him but I assume he throws around 90 or so. Really good command with his fastball. He used his fastball a lot as he should with high school pitchers. His off speed is also pretty good. Command with the off speed isn't as pin point but still good. This kid is really really good. Only thing I wasn't to impressed is his move to 1st is very easy to read for a lefty. He also goes with a high leg kick instead of slide step. We didn't get many chances to run on him but the one chance we got we stole pretty easy. Whatever it's worth the kid can also hit too. He's hitting over .400 on the year. This kid is the real deal. Can't wait to see him in Bloomington.

One note on the move to 1st - as you mentioned, he probably doesn't need to use the move very much in high school. Luckily, that's an easy aspect of the game to improve on (unless you're name is Lester for some reason). When I pitched for IU, I probably used the read move (slow) on 90% of my pitches with runners on base and was very successful on limiting steals. The read gives you the ability to almost pause at the top of your move (thereby freezing the runner) and slowly decide whether to go to first (maybe breaking the 45 degree plane a bit :)) or go home. I'd mix in a slide step, a step off or a faster read just to keep the runners honest.

Thanks for the report.

Reactions: snowling
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT