ADVERTISEMENT

IU beats No. 18 Coastal Carolina, 7-2...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
Connor Foley is on the mound for IU and there is no change in the lineup with Stadler and Shepard flip flopping in the batting order. Alexander Meckley is on the mound for CC.

1st inning:

T1st:

Mathison Kd swinging to start the game. Pyne then doubled with one out. Taylor then Kd swinging for two outs. Tibbitts flied out stranding Mathison at 2nd.

B1st:

Foley gives up a single to the leadoff batter. Foley then Kd the next batter who went 3 for 4 yesterday against George Mason.

Foley then walked the next batter on a full count to put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. Folley then got a big K for two outs and runners still on 1st and 2nd.

It looked like IU was out of the inning on a GO, but Stadler was called for catcher interference and the bases were loaded with two outs. A pop out ended the inning with no damage done.

End of 1st: IU 0 CC 0

Last edited:
2nd inning:

T2nd:

There is something wrong with live stats so it's not easy tracking things. Cerny lined out to the pitcher to lead off. Stadler and Shepard both Kd to retire the side. IU had 13 Ks yesterday and they already have four today.

B2nd:

Foley Kd the leadoff hitter. Foley then gave up a double to put a man in scoring position with one out. Foley got another K for two outs and a man still at 2nd and it was his 4th K of the game. Foley balked to put the runner at 3rd. Foley got his 5th K of the game to end the inning.

End of 2nd: IU 0 CC 0

Last edited:
3rd inning:

T3rd:

It was the 8 thru 1 hitters up for IU and they went down in order with another two Ks by IU.

B3rd:

Foley put them down in order to include two more Ks.

End of 3rd: IU 0 CC 0

4th inning:

T4th:

It was the 2 thru 4 hitters up with Pyne leading off. Bad luck prevented Pyne from getting a double when the outfielder had a ball pop up off of him and he caught it off the pop up. Taylor grounded out for the 2nd out.

Tibbitts and Cerny both singled to put two on and two outs. A WP moved both runners to 2nd and 3rd. Stadler walked to load the bases. Shepard grounded out to end a big chance for IU to take the lead.

B4th:

Foley got the first two batters on FOs, and then walked a batter. A WP moved the runner to 2nd, but another FO ended the inning.

Bothwell was warming up and will probably take the mound for the 5th.

End of 4th: IU 0 CC 0

Last edited:
5th inning:

T5th:

Colopy walked to lead off. On a bunt, Colopy was thrown out at 2nd with Burckel at 1st and one out. Burckel took 2nd on an error on a pickoff attempt by the pitcher.

Mathison was hit by a pitch to put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out and Pyne up.

Pyne walked to load the bases with one out and Taylor at the plate.

CC went to the bullpen and brought in LHP Bryce Shaffer in what was probably a lefty against lefty move with Taylor up.

Taylor singled to LF to score Burckel.

Tibbitts lined out to score Mathison. Taylor and Pyne advanced to 2nd and 3rd on a WP, but Cerny grounded out to retire the side with IU up 2-0.

B5th:

Bothwell relieved Foley, and in a great sign that Bothwell is starting up where he left off last season, he put them down in order to end the inning.

End of 5th: IU 2 CC 0

Last edited:
6th inning:

T6th:

Stadler led off and grounded out and Shepard lined out for two outs and no one on.

Colopy singled with two outs. Burckel was hit to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs and the top of the order up in Mathison up.

Mathison walked to load the bases with two outs and Pyne at bat. Pyne grounded out to retire the side.

B6th:

A throwing error by Cerny allowed the leadoff batter to reach and take 2nd. The close play at 2nd was challenged by IU but it was upheld. A ground out advanced the runner to 3rd.

A double that dropped in shallow right center allowed the runner to score an unearned run.

A ground out resulted in the 2nd out with the runner taking 3rd and two outs.

Bothwell walked the next batter on a 3-1 count to put runners on the corners with two outs.

A single scored another unearned run because of the error with two outs. A hit batter put runners on 1st and 2nd and two outs. A K finally ended the inning with the score tied at 2-2.

End of 6th: IU 2 CC 2

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Man, this one is on Cerny so far. A routine ground ball he throws into the dirt, and then can't get the tag on the guy when the throw beats him there.....cost IU 2 runs.
I’m not entirely sure how he could have made that tag any quicker. It was just one helluva slide.

7th inning:

T7th:

It was the 2 thru 4 batters up and Taylor Kd and Tibbitts lined out for two outs and no one on.

Cerny walked and Stadler was hit by a pitch to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs.

Shepard Kd to retire the side.

B7th:

It's the 2 thru 4 hitters up for CC. The leadoff batter reached on an infield single. Bothwell got the next batter on a FO.

The runner on 1st stole 2nd when Bothwell wasn't alerted that the runner was taking 2nd and that was a mental error. A ground out moved the runner to 3rd and two outs. A FO ended the inning with no damage done.

End of 7th: IU 2 CC 2

Last edited:
8th inning:

T8th:

Colopy Kd to lead off. Burckel homered to LF on a line drive that just cleared the fence into the CC bullpen to give IU a 3-2 lead. Mathison flied out and Pyne Kd to retire the side.

B8th:

Bothwell is back out there to face the 6 to 8 hitters. Bothwell got a ground out and a K for the first two outs. A FO to Taylor ended the inning.

End of 8th: IU 3 CC 2

Last edited:
Reactions: ribbont
9th inning:

T9th:

CC went to the bullpen again to face the 3 thru 5 hitters for IU.

Taylor singled to lead off. Murrison came in as a pinch runner for Taylor.

Tibbitts singled to advance Murrison to 2nd and no outs.

Cerny singled to score two runs to make it 5-2.

Shepard homered to right center to scored two runs and make it 7-2.

B9th:

Bothwell got the first two batters but then gave up a walk and single to put runners on the corners with two outs. A FO ended the game and Bothwell got the win. IU pitching gave up just two unearned runs today against a team that blitzed their opponent yesterday.

Final: IU 7 CC 2

Last edited:
We have to be extremely happy how both Risedorph and Foley have started the season as starters and that was an area that was questionable until we actually saw them on the mound.

It was great to see that Bothwell appears to be the Bothwell that we saw at the end of the season last year. Bothwell got destroyed in his first time out last season.

We outhit CC 10 to 6. Strikeouts were 12 for IU to 10 for CC. We had another two errors today to one for CC and we have had four of those in the first two games. Fortunately today, while the one error allowed CC to tie the game, it was not fatal and Cerny made up for it with his clutch two-run hit. It's a new position for Cerny and despite the error, he has looked good there so far.

We had three players with multiple hits.

Cerny was 2 for 4 with 2 RBIs.
Tibbitts was 2 for 4 with 1 RBI.
Taylor was 2 for 5 with 1 RBI.
Shepard was 1 for 5 with a 2-run homer.
Burckel was 1 for 4 with the go-ahead homer.
Pyne had a double.

Pitching was a question mark going into the season even though on paper we looked deep there. We have to be extremely happy over the starts by Risedorph and Foley. Bothwell carrying over with how he was pitching at the end of last season is a huge plus, at least with his first appearance of the season.

Foley - 4 IP, 2 hits and no earned runs, 7 Ks, 2 BBs, and 1 WP.

Bothwell (W) - 5 IP, 4 hits and no earned runs, 3 Ks, 2 BBs, and a hit batter.

Last edited:
Has IU announced the Starting Pitcher for tomorrow yet? Seti, Phillips or one of the newcomers? Any guesses?
I have no idea, but if I had to guess, I would say Phillips or Northwestern transfer Ben Grable.

I have no idea, but if I had to guess, I would say Phillips or Northwestern transfer Ben Grable.
A lot of positives in this 2 games to the start the season.

I’ll guess Moffitt and “staff” to follow. Guess Tibbitts catches at least to start. Hope some of the young guys get their feet wet tomorrow and Tuesday if that game goes.

I’ll guess Moffitt and “staff” to follow. Guess Tibbitts catches at least to start. Hope some of the young guys get their feet wet tomorrow and Tuesday if that game goes.
Yes. I thought about Moffitt also but my gut tells me it will be one of the two I guessed on, but as usual, my gut is probably off.

• Haha

We haven't used Grant Holderfield yet whom I probably would expect to continue to come out the bullpen, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he pitches coming off the shelf for a season.

Of the pitchers coming in this season with D-1 experience, I don't know how they plan on using Boston College transfer Julian Tongkini and Illinois transfer Ty Rybarczyk. Manase is a big question mark for me since he wasn't with the team during the regional last season but is still on the team.

Watched the first 7 innings until GF showed up and asked if we were really going to watch baseball. I caved and flipped it to a series we’ve been watching (Bosch: Legacy). Upon seeing the final here - thanks as always ptrich - and an early departure by said GF, I just watched the 8th and 9th. Great win! Many positives. As a CG fan who’s known Cerny since we was a little guy selling candy to support his team, I believe he’s the least of our defensive worries. Kid is rock solid and lives for baseball.

We haven't used Grant Holderfield yet whom I probably would expect to continue to come out the bullpen, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he pitches coming off the shelf for a season.

Of the pitchers coming in this season with D-1 experience, I don't know how they plan on using Boston College transfer Julian Tongkini and Illinois transfer Ty Rybarczyk. Manase is a big question mark for me since he wasn't with the team during the regional last season but is still on the team.
Why wasn’t he with the team? I’d forgotten about that. Didn’t he start the opening weekend last year?

Why wasn’t he with the team? I’d forgotten about that. Didn’t he start the opening weekend last year?
To my knowledge, they never disclosed that. Obviously, the returning players know why but I don't know if anything was ever said. Per my memory, Manase pitched just one inning in the opening series against Auburn last season and that was the final game of the series when Sinnard got the win and Manase came in to pitch the final inning of that game. I posted on that in an earlier post a few days ago and I'm pretty sure that was how I remember it went.

To my knowledge, they never disclosed that. Obviously, the returning players know why but I don't know if anything was ever said. Per my memory, Manase pitched just one inning in the opening series against Auburn last season and that was the final game of the series when Sinnard got the win and Manase came in to pitch the final inning of that game. I posted on that in an earlier post a few days ago and I'm pretty sure that was how I remember it went.
For some crazy reason, I keep thinking he was an early starter which meant he was someone they were really counting on. But I’m getting older by the second and my memory is fading just as rapidly. 😂

Regardless, take care of an obviously subpar Geo Mason squad tomorrow and come out of this 2-1. Big time start to what should be a very enjoyable season.

Regardless, take care of an obviously subpar Geo Mason squad tomorrow and come out of this 2-1. Big time start to what should be a very enjoyable season.
It would be their best start to a season since the 2021 season when they played a Covid schedule against just B1G teams and they started 8-1 that season. They lost their season opener that year and then won eight straight before losing again.

Here is the recap from the IU site with comments from Coach Mercer and Ty Bothwell.

Good to see a player who went through an injury redshirt season last year have a bright spot early in this season.
This reinforces the best position players storyline from BiG coaches poll story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT