ADVERTISEMENT

IU at PSU to be played at The Palestra

Tammany Hall

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2010
Pretty cool if you like historic arenas.

Q7VDYCINNFFTPJABJSTFGIXYYA.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to attend that game. The palestra is an amazing historic venue. IU hoops, a huge pretzel @ the Palestra.. Heaven!
Yep, don't know why it's happening, but I think that's cool and good for the program.

Yep, don't know why it's happening, but I think that's cool and good for the program.
I guess it's for publicity and exposure? But they're definitely giving up some home court advantage -- PSU won't be familiar with playing there, fewer PSU students/fans (if IU is as good as we hope their on-campus crowd would be fine), and a venue like this in a big city will attract more IU fans. Interesting move. Glad they're doing it.

Reactions: UncleMark
I guess it's for publicity and exposure? But they're definitely giving up some home court advantage -- PSU won't be familiar with playing there, fewer PSU students/fans (if IU is as good as we hope their on-campus crowd would be fine), and a venue like this in a big city will attract more IU fans. Interesting move. Glad they're doing it.
But, also playing at PsU in State College has always been the easiest enviroment on the road? Even though the results arent there lately. And yes IU has a decent # of alums in Philly. If it sales out, 8k? IU should have 2,500 there I'd like to think.

Reactions: kkott
But, also playing at PsU in State College has always been the easiest enviroment on the road? Even though the results arent there lately. And yes IU has a decent # of alums in Philly. If it sales out, 8k? IU should have 2,500 there I'd like to think.
Agree Bryce Jordan is awful, but if we're ranked they'll probably get one of their better crowds, and even if the crowd sucks we still struggle there. But you could be right.

I'm glad they didn't put our game in their old on-campus fieldhouse called Rec Hall. I'm sure you saw the Illinois game there last year. The fans are close there and that place generated a great home court.

Your estimate would be my guess. If we're as good as we hope our local alumni will be excited to go to this one. Plus our bball nerd fans will make an effort to go to the Palestra.

Last edited:
Purdue played PSU there last year and it was the best home crowd PSU has had, hell of lot better than on campus! Of course one of the best teams in the country was playing! Great atmosphere!

Purdue played PSU there last year and it was the best home crowd PSU has had, hell of lot better than on campus! Of course one of the best teams in the country was playing! Great atmosphere!
It's not the best home crowd they had. Also not many Purdue fans were there, your fanbase is small.

I would love to attend that game. The palestra is an amazing historic venue. IU hoops, a huge pretzel @ the Palestra.. Heaven!

Wilt Chamberlain — Not only has the dominant center played in the Palestra, but for a period of time, he was arguably the face of the Palestra. Before setting almost every NBA record that exists, Chamberlain starred for local Overbrook High School, where he played in the Palestra between 1953 and 1955. Across his junior and senior years, Wilt averaged 38.2 points in six 32-minute playoff games in the Cathedral of Basketball, leading Overbrook to the city championship in both seasons. More than sixty years later, Chamberlain and his outstretched arms in an Overbrook jersey remains one of the Palestra’s most iconic images.

Good, then you know the game was considered a neutral game, but was changed to a home game for Penn St. because of the great crowd!
Man, it gets hard to keep track of you Boilers. First, you're a rabid fanbase who "fills" the NC game, and then you're not with a poor showing in a major city like Philly at a historic venue like the Palestra. Heck, I've watched IU in Cameron, at the Dean Dome, at Wake, UNCC and vs Auburn in Atlanta last year. One constant: Hoosiers show up and support their team! Even when we're not one of the best teams in the country!

Agree Bryce Jordan is awful, but if we're ranked they'll probably get one of their better crowds, and even if the crowd sucks we still struggle there. But you could be right.

I'm glad they didn't put our game in their old on-campus fieldhouse called Rec Hall. I'm sure you saw the Illinois game there last year. The fans are close there and that place generated a great home court.

Your estimate would be my guess. If we're as good as we hope our local alumni will be excited to go to this one. Plus our bball nerd fans will make an effort to go to the Palestra.
Bryce is somewhat boring because of the lack of energy. But we have had great seats when my wife and I went there to see IU. We were close enough behind the IU bench one yr I said to my wife, "I can actually see razor stubble on that kid".

Wilt Chamberlain — Not only has the dominant center played in the Palestra, but for a period of time, he was arguably the face of the Palestra. Before setting almost every NBA record that exists, Chamberlain starred for local Overbrook High School, where he played in the Palestra between 1953 and 1955. Across his junior and senior years, Wilt averaged 38.2 points in six 32-minute playoff games in the Cathedral of Basketball, leading Overbrook to the city championship in both seasons. More than sixty years later, Chamberlain and his outstretched arms in an Overbrook jersey remains one of the Palestra’s most iconic images.
any of you guys remember one of Bill Cosby's original comedy "albums" from the 60's? (Well before his legal issues)
Cosby made a great reference to Wilt. Still a classic.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
any of you guys remember one of Bill Cosby's original comedy "albums" from the 60's? (Well before his legal issues)
Cosby made a great reference to Wilt. Still a classic.
I remember Cosby being really into Temple (his alma mater?) and the Temple challenge. I remember seeing Bill and John Chaney having dinner at a restaurant one time outside of Philadelphia in the 90s.

Reactions: ulrey
Good, then you know the game was considered a neutral game, but was changed to a home game for Penn St. because of the great crowd!
No, PSU were in charge of ticket sales and all game-day operations, thus the NCAA Net called it a home game.

Reactions: kkott
No, PSU were in charge of ticket sales and all game-day operations, thus the NCAA Net called it a home game.
Can you have a neutral site game for an in conference game? Think you have to have a home team.

I had friends there and you might have heard there is a thing called television.
Should be a lot of IU fans there. Great opportunity for fans that don't normally get to see them in person. Really glad they did this.

The Crossroads Classic called...they're wondering if any of your fans decided to buy tickets yet.
I think Purdue has moved on. Purdue vs No.1 Arizona in front of 17,315 fans in Indy. Has IU, IU vs Harvard in Indy is front of 8.347. This year Purdue plays Texas A&M! IU????

IU-Harvard was a home game per the NCAA.
With terrible timing. Plus Harvard brought no fans, AZ brought a lot. That scenario will never happen again. The CC was a charity event with IU donating to Butler, PU and ND, although Butler always brought some fans.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT