ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to live with Covid. No more shutdowns, no more school closings. Welcoming business. Putting in plainclothes cops

Kudos to you and your family for living in a way that works for you. It sounds like a fantastic, aspirational lifestyle for some people.

But does this undercut the idea that kids need to/must have daily in-person learning for socialization and that any breaks damage them? As with most things, I suspect that it's a lot more complicated than that.
I would hypothesize (not assure you) there are likely different outcomes for kids who have always lived that way vs kids that are used to high frequency social contact and have it stripped from them.

After reading the Yale reading, sure, but you posted WebMD. I'd still argue the major threat of Delta was how aggressive it was, which is cited in all that has been posted.
WebMD cited the same study. So now you do agree that the Delta variant was more severe. Great.

Reactions: jet812
I would hypothesize (not assure you) there are likely different outcomes for kids who have always lived that way vs kids that are used to high frequency social contact and have it stripped from them.

100%

My younger kids got along much easier then my older child, who when we moved here was going into middle school.

If a kid is use to growing up playing outside, by themselves, using their imagination, it's no big deal to be without social interaction for long periods of time with kids their own age.

I think socialization is naturally important, but the more lasting damage wasn't socialization but rather that their learning was retarded - by as much as a year

I think the parents (myself) had a lot to do with that.

Middle school math was gonna be the death of me.

I think the parents (myself) had a lot to do with that.

Middle school math was gonna be the death of me.
Fing hell it's a joke. Impossible!! Boxes instead of problems. And mine never have textbooks. Only handouts with Sudoku puzzles for instructions.

And if you don't understand it instantly like some oracle your kid loses her shit. Hell. Pure hell. There's a great scene about it in The Incredibles where he's screaming THAT's NOT HOW YOU DO MATH

The Delta variant is more severe. That's all.
From the link you provided:

The Delta variant accounts for nearly 99% of new COVID-19 cases in the U.S., according to NBC News. Public health officials have known for months that the Delta variant is more contagious than previous versions of the coronavirus, but it’s been unclear whether it leads to more severe disease and hospitalization.

You want to change up and go directly to the Yale study now...go for it, but that's not what you originally posted. Read before you link something.

• Haha
Fing hell it's a joke. Impossible!! Boxes instead of problems. And mine never have textbooks. Only handouts with Sudoku puzzles for instructions.

And if you don't understand it instantly like some oracle your kid loses her shit. Hell.

Everything in our school system is done on a chrome book, so they don't have text books to bring home....

I would literally just email the teacher and say we attempted the work and I nor insert daughters name don't understand how to do the problem. It was like i was taking finite. I was having nightmares thinking about what awaited the two of us in the morning from that blasted subject.

From the link you provided:

You want to change up and go directly to the Yale study now...go for it, but that's not what you originally posted. Read before you link something.
Oh my God. WebMD. Yale. They are all citing the same Lancelet report

THIS IS FROM ABOVE IN THE YALE LINK: A report in the Lancet this past summer found that people in England had double the hospitalization risk with Delta than they did with Alpha, the previously dominant variant in that country.

The Yale article and WebMd are pulling from Lancelet for their hospitalization findings. It's the same shit. They are both just republishing findings

Yes and the Illinois average is driven down by rural areas. I know of some teachers in the Chicago area and they are making 100k with incredible benefits. You are not paid based on results in Chicago it does not matter how bad you are you still get the same pay as the good teacher. And the inner city results are horrible.
The teachers making $100k+ aren’t in the inner city. They are in the “Chicagoland” suburbs. Where the public schools are really strong and yields results (supported by local property taxes that are a minimum double that of city of Chicago property taxes). Only the big money private schools downtown would have a high % of $100k+ earners (Frances Parker, Northside Prep, U of C Lab School, etc.). Another fun fact, to teach in the city of Chicago you must live in the city, the cost of living in the city is very high and quickly would erode a 80k-100k salary. Whereas a teacher in the suburbs can live in a lower cost district and work in a higher cost district. Inner city teaching is no picnic (that said, the school board/union are likely a bunch of undesirables), but shouldn’t necessarily reflect on a lot of the teachers in the city that are truly committed to delivering education to intercity youth.

The teachers making $100k+ aren’t in the inner city. They are in the “Chicagoland” suburbs. Where the public schools are really strong and yields results (supported by local property taxes that are a minimum double that of city of Chicago property taxes). Only the big money private schools downtown would have a high % of $100k+ earners (Frances Parker, Northside Prep, U of C Lab School, etc.). Another fun fact, to teach in the city of Chicago you must live in the city, the cost of living in the city is very high and quickly would erode a 80k-100k salary. Whereas a teacher in the suburbs can live in a lower cost district and work in a higher cost district. Inner city teaching is no picnic (that said, the school board/union are likely a bunch of undesirables), but shouldn’t necessarily reflect on a lot of the teachers in the city that are truly committed to delivering education to intercity youth.
This is partly right. CPS does have 100k earners, though. The pay is very good for a large city system, especially when taking into account the COL:

And remember, teachers only work about 42 weeks a year.

I'm curious about the private school salaries you mention. Do you have a link or other support for that? I'd love to see those numbers.

This is partly right. CPS does have 100k earners, though. The pay is very good for a large city system, especially when taking into account the COL:

I'm curious about the private school salaries you mention. Do you have a link or other support for that? I'd love to see those numbers.

Cost of living vs. other metros is a different argument. Chicago suburb vs CPS, with cost of living factored in CPS does not pay as well as many suburban districts. Your point about 42 weeks is true (but that applies to all teachers not specific to CPS), however only speaking for my suburban district, while it is officially only 42 weeks, they conclude school ~June 10th and while school doesn’t start until mid August ~17th (9 weeks) the teachers tend to have a post week and 2 pre-weeks to the school year. One of our children is on a 504 plan for ad/hd, and our district / teachers are really good supporting him (the district itself is rated well which checks out). We sent the same child when he was 4 to Chicago Lab School for one year (tuition is more than most universities per year, but we had 1/2 off due to my wife working at the formerly GSB/now Chicago Booth (Alumni Affairs specifically). We had friends with students at a few of the other private schools listed that also served in capacities to have high level budget visibility (total of salary wages benefits) and teacher / student information that would be able to derive the salaries/compensation. This was 10 years ago when we still lived downtown. Now with the emergence of so many job posting / salary sites etc, there may be more information in the public domain.

My overall point is, CPS could be improved in 1000 ways and yes there is likely overpaid teachers/administrators milking the system. As a whole however, I don’t think too many teachers would select teaching at CPS vs the Chicago suburbs, unless they had a true passion for educating inner city youth.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
You’re right. I’m retired and no longer pay much attention to the schools here in FL. While my kids were in HS in the Chicago area however I paid close attention, and my brother was on a school board in Southern Calif for 9 years and my sister in law taught for 30 years in Indy. The stories they would tell regarding the unions, their agendas and their corruption was sickening. Have a nice night Zeke.

They're going in and doing their jobs everyday. They also have one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. Teachers have probably one of the safest jobs in the world but still won't work because they're afraid of Omicron which is essentially the common cold. Cops also have to work nights and weekends and get sh!t on by much of the leftist nut jobs. They can also be locked up for life simply for doing their job. See Kim Potter and Derek Chuavin. So I would say yes.
You think teachers don’t work nights and weekend? Lmao. Have you heard of school shootings? It’s super fun to do school shooter drills with crying seven year olds and hide in a closet. Once again, I invite you to try it. ( just for doing their job… goodness are you lost)

Cost of living vs. other metros is a different argument. Chicago suburb vs CPS, with cost of living factored in CPS does not pay as well as many suburban districts. Your point about 42 weeks is true (but that applies to all teachers not specific to CPS), however only speaking for my suburban district, while it is officially only 42 weeks, they conclude school ~June 10th and while school doesn’t start until mid August ~17th (9 weeks) the teachers tend to have a post week and 2 pre-weeks to the school year. One of our children is on a 504 plan for ad/hd, and our district / teachers are really good supporting him (the district itself is rated well which checks out). We sent the same child when he was 4 to Chicago Lab School for one year (tuition is more than most universities per year, but we had 1/2 off due to my wife working at the formerly GSB/now Chicago Booth (Alumni Affairs specifically). We had friends with students at a few of the other private schools listed that also served in capacities to have high level budget visibility (total of salary wages benefits) and teacher / student information that would be able to derive the salaries/compensation. This was 10 years ago when we still lived downtown. Now with the emergence of so many job posting / salary sites etc, there may be more information in the public domain.

My overall point is, CPS could be improved in 1000 ways and yes there is likely overpaid teachers/administrators milking the system. As a whole however, I don’t think too many teachers would select teaching at CPS vs the Chicago suburbs, unless they had a true passion for educating inner city youth.
I agree with your overall point. Very true.

How did you like the Lab School? I have a friend who sent his three kids there (UofC prof) and he speaks pretty highly of it, although he admitted like any school, it has a few teachers who need to go.

I agree with your overall point. Very true.

How did you like the Lab School? I have a friend who sent his three kids there (UofC prof) and he speaks pretty highly of it, although he admitted like any school, it has a few teachers who need to go.
We only did one year, moved to suburbs following summer with the arrival of son #2. Facilities were ridiculous (the new school building had opened a year or two prior). Our teacher was in her first year (I believe only year) at lab, so specifically with her not an outstanding experience, but likely would have tried a second year (kindergarten). However, the school benefits that so many of the students have one or both parents that are faculty at the university (those students tend to be well travelled, of diverse backgrounds, strong intelligence, etc.) therefore providing a learning environment supported by peers almost as much as teachers as you advance through the grades. For us the 50% discount and convenience for my wife to drop/pickup were more of a factor vs other public/private schools. Once in the suburbs we have been exclusively public.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
My buddies wife works in the Chicago Public Schools and makes over 90k a year. Nobody disputes living in Chicago is expensive and is one reason why so many people are leaving. The property taxes are insane. But one reason the taxes are so high is the unions and all the pensions that have to be paid out.

Maybe in Chicago the private schools pay great but in general they pay less than a public school union job. You are also not in a union so the healtcare and retirement are not nearly as good. I know several women who teach in catholic schools and they do it becasue they believe in the mission and certainly not for the money. They have told me they could make far more money if they taught in a public school.

Agree 100%, & you very aptly sum up why many are reluctant to be vaccinated. How can anyone claim the certainty & safety of a solution to a problem they may not understand?
I am not going to disagree except to say we don't know how safe the virus is. People with Spanish Flu we're more likely to get Parkinson's Disease. People who get chicken pox can get shingles later. People with untreated strep get rheumatic fever which causes heart problems later in life.

So we do not know necessarily what the vaccine does but we also have no idea what the novel coronavirus does.

I am not going to disagree except to say we don't know how safe the virus is. People with Spanish Flu we're more likely to get Parkinson's Disease. People who get chicken pox can get shingles later. People with untreated strep get rheumatic fever which causes heart problems later in life.

So we do not know necessarily what the vaccine does but we also have no idea what the novel coronavirus does.
Which is exactly why it should be a personal choice.

Reactions: DANC
In my blue state, teachers are paid quite well. I know this via two reasons:
  1. I’m married to one
  2. I know my property tax bill
If you want teachers to be paid well, as they should be, be prepared for a massive tax increase.
How powerful are the teachers' unions in your state?

Have they been attending in-person?

How powerful are the teachers' unions in your state?

Have they been attending in-person?
What do you mean by attending in-person? Kids have been in school all year.

Lol. They're all vaxxed and boosted. This has nothing to do with their health whatsoever. They are lazy people most of whom have never had a real job in their entire lives and have no idea what it means to work. They're coddled and propagandized by the sadistic teachers union which needs to be dismantled immediately. And both of my parents were public school teachers for over 40 years each so do not lecture me.
Did you just smoke crack? My wife is a teacher over 50 and what she might be exposed to is terrifying. Lazy, I don't think so, she and I de-facto have to get up at 4:30, so she is there by 7, when she doesn't need to be there till 8, but just get away from the coffee talk crowd that totally skirts masks

• Haha

We know a lot more about the effects of vaccines on the body than we do about a novel virus. Research and human testing of mRNA vaccines has been underway for decades.

Similarly, human clinical trials were conducted for viral vector vaccines against several infectious diseases including Zika virus, influenza viruses, respiratory syncytial virus, HIV, and malaria, before the vaccines targeting

Did you just smoke crack? My wife is a teacher over 50 and what she might be exposed to is terrifying. Lazy, I don't think so, she and I de-facto have to get up at 4:30, so she is there by 7, when she doesn't need to be there till 8, but just get away from the coffee talk crowd that totally skirts masks
What she's exposed to is the same thing our children are exposed to. I don't understand why teachers, public school teachers to be clear, are distinguishable from so many other professions that in fairness are at greater risk. Brad posted data re same earlier in the thread.

Reactions: bailey777 and DANC
This problem is not getting fixed anytime soon so not sure what the solution is. If anything the number of females is only going to get higher.
Let's go Hitler! I have been banned for much, much, less. That s just insane

Well someone has to support your lazy ass.

I mean do they attend in person. Versus online.
Yeah - sorry I thought you were asking about the union. They’ve been in person all year except this week because the Big O hit us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - sorry I thought you were asking about the union. They’ve been online all year except this week because the Big O hit us.
They've been online all year except for this week?

Do you mean they've been in school all year except this week?

What she's exposed to is the same thing our children are exposed to. I don't understand why teachers, public school teachers to be clear, are distinguishable from so many other professions that in fairness are at greater risk. Brad posted data re same earlier in the thread.
I've got no words for this

I've got no words for this
"Teachers are about average in terms of their risk of hospitalization with COVID-19, when compared to other working-age adults," said lead researcher Dr. David McAllister, a professor of clinical epidemiology and medical informatics at the Institute of Health and Wellbeing at the University of Glasgow. "Unlike health care workers, teachers are not at increased risk of hospitalization with COVID-19, even when schools are open."
Using data from March 2020 to July 2021, McAllister and his colleagues collected information on more than 132,000 people with COVID-19, ages 21 to 65, and more than 1.3 million people from the general population, all in Scotland. They compared the risk of COVID-19 among teachers and their family members with health care workers and others.
Over the study period, the risk of being hospitalized with COVID-19 was less than 1% for teachers, health care workers and other adults, the researchers found.
After taking into account factors such as age, sex, ethnicity and economic status, the risk of being hospitalized with COVID-19 was about 50% lower among teachers and their family members than among the general population, the researchers noted."

Don't send them, bad idea, be a dad

"Teachers are about average in terms of their risk of hospitalization with COVID-19, when compared to other working-age adults," said lead researcher Dr. David McAllister, a professor of clinical epidemiology and medical informatics at the Institute of Health and Wellbeing at the University of Glasgow. "Unlike health care workers, teachers are not at increased risk of hospitalization with COVID-19, even when schools are open."
Using data from March 2020 to July 2021, McAllister and his colleagues collected information on more than 132,000 people with COVID-19, ages 21 to 65, and more than 1.3 million people from the general population, all in Scotland. They compared the risk of COVID-19 among teachers and their family members with health care workers and others.
Over the study period, the risk of being hospitalized with COVID-19 was less than 1% for teachers, health care workers and other adults, the researchers found.
After taking into account factors such as age, sex, ethnicity and economic status, the risk of being hospitalized with COVID-19 was about 50% lower among teachers and their family members than among the general population, the researchers noted."
" a professor of clinical epidemiology and medical informatics at the Institute of Health and Wellbeing at the University of Glasgow" .. all is well

Don't send them, bad idea, be a dad
Negative. Going to school is not an option. The cure is far worse than the disease. If I see/hear any indications that extended closures are in the offing I will immediately go private.

We know a lot more about the effects of vaccines on the body than we do about a novel virus. Research and human testing of mRNA vaccines has been underway for decades.

Similarly, human clinical trials were conducted for viral vector vaccines against several infectious diseases including Zika virus, influenza viruses, respiratory syncytial virus, HIV, and malaria, before the vaccines targeting
Decades huh. I think viruses, Corona & otherwise may even predate that, but I don’t have a link...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT