ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to live with Covid. No more shutdowns, no more school closings. Welcoming business. Putting in plainclothes cops

Delta is still dominant in these Midwest rural parts. The people dropping are still coughing their lungs out and getting pneumonia.
That's a big part of the current calculation. I suspect that we'll see it fade and can adjust mitigation measures accordingly as those numbers fade.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
There doesn't seem to be anything to suggest it was more severe, just more contagious. That's straight from the CDC.

And my comments to McMurtry about the weaker strand traveling is just common sense. The stronger cases are hospitalized until healthy, while the weaker cases might even go undetected.
From yale:

As data about Delta accumulates, scientists are working hard to learn as much as possible as quickly as they can. One important question is whether the Delta strain will make you sicker than the original virus. Early information about the severity of Delta included studies from Scotland and Canada, both cited by the CDC, that suggested the Delta variant may be more likely to result in hospitalization in the unvaccinated. A report this summer, published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases, found that people in England with Delta had double the hospitalization risk of those with Alpha, which was previously the dominant mutation in that country.​

So we don't know what our response is. Look up OC43. It is a coronavirus that today is one of the ones called the common cold. It is fairly widely believed it was the cause of a major and deadly flu outbreak in 1890. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1889–1890_pandemic.
That's a fascinating bit of information, Marv. Thanks for linking that. I guess it shows that we've made a lot of progress since February 2020. And that there is still probably a TON to learn about this virus and its associated variants.

Carmel went 57% for Biden, and I'd gather there is a large contingent of older voters who just vote straight ticket GOP soaking up many of the votes for Trump.
So it's ok for people to ignore the pandemic and refuse to vaccinate or wear a mask while crying out freedom but the people that don't want to be around those people should just stay home and have no freedom?

So one person's freedom is more important than another person's freedom?

Am i getting that right?

This is about a rerun of the smoking in public places debate and telling nonsmokers to shut up and stay home if they don't want 2nd hand smoke.
No. You should exercise your freedom and do what you feel like you need to do to keep your sanity.

But, healthy, low risk children shouldn't have to pause their lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: jet812
That's a fascinating bit of information, Marv. Thanks for linking that. I guess it shows that we've made a lot of progress since February 2020. And that there is still probably a TON to learn about this virus and its associated variants.

I think the first human virus ever identified was Yellow Fever and it was proven to exist in 1900. Viruses have been on earth for a very long time, we have studied them for a very short time. I fear what we don't know about viruses far exceeds what we do know. So we are stuck making educated guesses that people in the future will laugh about.

No. You should exercise your freedom and do what you feel like you need to do to keep your sanity.

But, healthy, low risk children shouldn't have to pause their lives.

Healthy low risk children can still vaccinate and wear their mask. If they can't, then they are the ones that can stay home.

Called protecting others.

It almost makes one wonder about kids growing up in very rural areas. There are places driving I80 or I70 through the plains where houses are several miles apart. It can be worse further west. When there isn't school, ie summer, do kids get social interaction? Do they suffer from this problem? I know the question sounds silly, but if a 6-year-old is 5 miles from the next closest kid how often do they see other kids (outside of school)?
This is why my wife won’t let me do it. I’d love to get out to the middle of nowhere but she’s vetoed it for that reason.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Healthy low risk children can still vaccinate and wear their mask. If they can't, then they are the ones that can stay home.

Called protecting others.
LOL stay in the basement with you all day long. You want to impose you will on others and I am guessing you have no kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
It's been worth every penny the last two years.
I bet. My sister and brother in law are private high school teachers and coaches and they'd echo that. And from what they tell me most of their parents and co-workers would agree wholeheartedly.

It's been worth every penny the last two years.
It sure beats being at the will of a union who decides when and if you child will be in school. And in a year that same union will scream and yell about how they need more money because the kids have fallen so far behind. Not to mention how many parents had to take today off work because the union threw another tantrum?

It almost makes one wonder about kids growing up in very rural areas. There are places driving I80 or I70 through the plains where houses are several miles apart. It can be worse further west. When there isn't school, ie summer, do kids get social interaction? Do they suffer from this problem? I know the question sounds silly, but if a 6-year-old is 5 miles from the next closest kid how often do they see other kids (outside of school)?
I always wonder about that while driving for any distance on interstate highways, looking at the houses or farms along the way.

I think a big part of this is the disruption to schedule and routine and normalcy for kids. They need that along with structure. Eating disorders are shooting through the roof during Covid, and those are at root, caused by a desire for control. I don't think that's coincidence.

Also, remember, every time school is shut down due to this virus, every time they go to school with masks, they are being reminded, even if indirectly, that they are in danger of contracting this invisible disease that dominates the news and most people's thoughts and discussions. It has to be scary for them all.

It's not the same, but Imagine if we had to do nuclear bomb drills every single day as children? Took a week off of school every now and then to practice preparing our home bomb shelters, etc?
For me, I would base it all on hospital availability. Once ICU's are 80% full you start asking people to restrict their movements voluntarily. Please don't go to crowded bars for a few days sort of statements. At 90% I'd start making some more mandatory changes (bars and restaurants observe capacity limits). At 100% we would get more draconinan.

Chicago proper is Region 11 below, they are around 89% CPU usage. Region 10 are the western burbs and are over 90%. Region 7, just south of Chicago, is at 98%. That is perilously close to a major problem for the people that live in that region. Once 100% is exceeded, every car accident, every survivable heart attack or stroke becomes much more dangerous. Frankly people should be more careful at that point not only hanging around large crowds but in driving, or running across busy streets, or whatever else we do that we take for granted excellent emergency care.

In theory, school shouldn't be a big problem. Teachers should be vaccinated (but if anyone required them to be the same people demanding school every day would be angry we made them be vaccinated). Kids are less likely to be hospitalized. But in a region like 7 with only 3 ICU beds available, one more becomes a bigger deal than normal.

But I don't think I would go virtual. I would tell teachers they will teach the 180 days in person (assuming that is Illinois' number), if that means they are teaching come July 20, they are teaching come July 20. I was skeptical remote learning was as bad as it turned out to be, but the numbers seem obvious, it didn't work. If teachers feel it is too dangerous to be in classroom today, fine. But they will be back in the classroom for the full number of days. So they will have to account for that in deciding when it is safe to return.

You can’t just tell them that, Marvin. They are a union. They have a contract. And they will fight.

Delta wasn't more severe. It was more contagious, and to the unvaccinated that meant a quicker spread to people unprotected.
Delta was more severe than alpha per the Brits.

Reactions: Bloom. and jet812
I know the challenges students face. I live (part time) in a home with two kids, one in middle school, and I have friends with kids who have struggled. The point is when you say teachers signed up for this, the answer is, no they didn't, and many of them are of an age or mitigating circumstances that develop with age where this becomes more serious.

Their only other alternative is to quit. They didn't sign up to teach during a pandemic.

A week out of a holiday, falling two days after what is typically the biggest set of parties in a year, short of the 4th of July, it seems prudent if in SOME areas with higher caseloads they want students virtual for a week.

Being the work from home boyfriend, I didn't sign up for the part where the kids are home but mom's at work. So suddenly, I'm the parent. Now, that's not been recent, but when they each went through isolation due to contact tracing in the fall, that was me...exposing myself, isolating myself from my family. Yet here I am telling you, teachers didn't sign up for it.
Who did “sign up” for this? My wife is a nurse on an orthopedic floor at a major downtown hospital in Chicago. How did she “sign up” to be exposed like this in a pandemic? And unlike teachers, healthcare workers are at a significantly higher risk of contracting Covid.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've lived in the sticks with my family for years. Our neighbors are my in laws a couple 100 yards one way and our former bus driver a couple 100 yards away the other way. Across the street is a couple in the 70s. The next house isn't for another another couple miles in either direction.

We've lived here going on 10 years now, when my oldest was just going into middle school and my middle child was five. Since then, we've now got a eight year old and the five year old is obviously 15. The kids love it out here. They get to run and play outside wherever they want and climb on whatever they want. They basically have the run of whatever they want to do outside.

As far as how often they see their friends, we try and get a play date once every couple weeks. Truth be told, they really don't complain about it. They are home bodies, but it asked, they will go to other homes.

I truly never want to live in a city again.

I bet. My sister and brother in law are private high school teachers and coaches and they'd echo that. And from what they tell me most of their parents and co-workers would agree wholeheartedly.

My SIL grew up in public schools and had her kids in public school in VA. In summer of 2020, the district decided to maintain distance learning for the rest of the year, and perhaps beyond. So she pulled her kids and enrolled in a private school. Said it was the best decision she ever made then, and there is virtually zero chance her hysterical district doesn't follow CTU's lead and go back to virtual for an extended period.

I've lived in the sticks with my family for years. Our neighbors are my in laws a couple 100 yards one way and our former bus driver a couple 100 yards away the other way. Across the street is a couple in the 70s. The next house isn't for another another couple miles in either direction.

We've lived here going on 10 years now, when my oldest was just going into middle school and my middle child was five. Since then, we've now got a eight year old and the five year old is obviously 15. The kids love it out here. They get to run and play outside wherever they want and climb on whatever they want. They basically have the run of whatever they want to do outside.

As far as how often they see their friends, we try and get a play date once every couple weeks. Truth be told, they really don't complain about it. They are home bodies, but it asked, they will go to other homes.

I truly never want to live in a city again.
Kudos to you and your family for living in a way that works for you. It sounds like a fantastic, aspirational lifestyle for some people.

But does this undercut the idea that kids need to/must have daily in-person learning for socialization and that any breaks damage them? As with most things, I suspect that it's a lot more complicated than that.

I think the first human virus ever identified was Yellow Fever and it was proven to exist in 1900. Viruses have been on earth for a very long time, we have studied them for a very short time. I fear what we don't know about viruses far exceeds what we do know. So we are stuck making educated guesses that people in the future will laugh about.
Agree 100%, & you very aptly sum up why many are reluctant to be vaccinated. How can anyone claim the certainty & safety of a solution to a problem they may not understand?

Who did “sign up” for this? My wife is a nurse on an orthopedic floor at a major downtown hospital in Chicago. How did she “sign up” to be exposed like this in a pandemic? And unlike teachers, healthcare workers are at a significantly higher risk of contracting Covid.

I'd say nurses came a hell of a lot closer to signing up for pandemics than teachers did.

Then again, part of the reality of being a teacher means active shooter drills.

Um. Two other people sent you the same study. So you've now received the study debunking your claim three times from three separate posters.
What you posted showed no signs of severity of a single case, just more severe illness as a result of it being more contagious.

The Delta variant accounts for nearly 99% of new COVID-19 cases in the U.S., according to NBC News. Public health officials have known for months that the Delta variant is more contagious than previous versions of the coronavirus, but it’s been unclear whether it leads to more severe disease and hospitalization.

Kudos to you and your family for living in a way that works for you. It sounds like a fantastic, aspirational lifestyle for some people.

But does this undercut the idea that kids need to/must have daily in-person learning for socialization and that any breaks damage them? As with most things, I suspect that it's a lot more complicated than that.
I think socialization is naturally important, but the more lasting damage wasn't socialization but rather that their learning was retarded - by as much as a year

What you posted showed no signs of severity of a single case, just more severe illness as a result of it being more contagious.
I don't know what you wrote means.

I know what below means:

Severity: Delta may cause more severe disease than other variants in people who aren’t vaccinated. Early studies from Scotland and Canada, both cited by the CDC, suggested Delta may be more likely to result in hospitalization in the unvaccinated. A report in the Lancet this past summer found that people in England had double the hospitalization risk with Delta than they did with Alpha, the previously dominant variant in that country.

Let’s do an official count…wanna wager?
What McMurtry posted didn't reveal anything of the sorts. In fact, it was explicit it wasn't sure it led to more severe instances, just a larger number of severe cases. So I asked if he was sure he read what he posted.

I don't know what you wrote means.
That was copied verbatim from what you linked. If you don't know what it means, then it means you didn't know what you actually posted.

Hence my point, are you sure you read what you posted?

It's not my fault what you posted presented contradictory information to your own point.

That was copied verbatim from what you linked. If you don't know what it means, then it means you didn't know what you actually posted.

Hence my point, are you sure you read what you posted?

It's not my fault what you posted presented contradictory information to your own point.
Okay help me then.

You do not believe that Delta was more severe than Alpha? Correct? How do you reconcile that with below? If you have double the hospitalization risk I construe that to be a more severe variant. You don't?

Severity: Delta may cause more severe disease than other variants in people who aren’t vaccinated. Early studies from Scotland and Canada, both cited by the CDC, suggested Delta may be more likely to result in hospitalization in the unvaccinated. A report in the Lancet this past summer found that people in England had double the hospitalization risk with Delta than they did with Alpha, the previously dominant variant in that country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT