ADVERTISEMENT

It's going to take more than Austin Powers to find the missing Mojo

Carib04

Freshman
Mar 20, 2011
Whatever defensive clue IU had last year is gone. Was Dane Fife the guy with his foot up the players a$$es last year that got that done. One can only guess. Woodson's decision to "not retain" Fife might be grounds for showing him the door if that is true. Kinder and gentler ain't getting it done.

Whatever defensive clue IU had last year is gone. Was Dane Fife the guy with his foot up the players a$$es last year that got that done. One can only guess. Woodson's decision to "not retain" Fife might be grounds for showing him the door if that is true. Kinder and gentler ain't getting it done.
Yeah…

I’m guessing we are missing Fife as far as the defense goes.

I’d really like to know what happened there, from Fife.

Kinder and gentler = “players coach”, not always what is needed.

If only Fife had watched CNN Woodson would love him. But hey we got Armond Hill on the bench so all is good..

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

just how many games did we win last yr with Thompson and Johnson out, and TJD at noticeably less than 100%??

just how many games did we win last yr with Thompson and Johnson out, and TJD at noticeably less than 100%??
True.
But damn..They gonna stay forever ?
They're good enough for NIL coin.
But not the association..
People act like Woodson's a great recruiter..
He got JHS who can play..Reneau has possibilities..
Past that..None are difference maker's.
Without fantastic gets out of the portal for next yr.
We're looking at more of what we're watching now....imo
Coach Woodson has a mess on his hands...

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
True.
Yeah I do not get this whole argument that he is some great recruiter. He got two five stars but one so far one is not showing very much. Other than that his recruiting is pretty average. I mean Archie landed Romeo and TJD so is Woodson really any better. He has two borderline top 100 recruits for next year but nothing special at all. He struck out on all the top 50 guy he went after in 2023.

True.

even healthy, not many schools win games against B10 schools that are as unconscious from 3 as PSU was.

that said, what IU needs next yr is a go to guard or wing at winning time.

hopefully JHS can and will be that guy, and hopefully even before next yr.

even when healthy, it's hard for TJD to fill that role against teams with someone with enough length to keep TJD from scoring within one foot of the basket, and many teams have that guy.

TJD is a great player when healthy, but he will never be a go to offensive threat in the final minutes against teams that can keep him from scoring within 1 foot of the basket.

2 great shooters coming in next yr will help a lot and is doable, along with a big who can also score away from the basket.

turnarounds happen quick now days, and next yr or even next month could look different than last wk.

that said, QBs no longer win games from the pocket, and bball teams need guys with elite shooting ability, even if they don't have elite athleticism.

being able to shoot it trumps athleticism..

Yeah I do not get this whole argument that he is some great recruiter. He got two five stars but one so far one is not showing very much. Other than that his recruiting is pretty average. I mean Archie landed Romeo and TJD so is Woodson really any better. He has two borderline top 100 recruits for next year but nothing special at all. He struck out on all the top 50 guy he went after in 2023.
The next hire we make...3 criteria is all they need to use to define who they're looking for.

1. Are they a good program builder?
2. Are they a good in game coach?
3. Does their personality match todays climate?

The ONLY reason I added number 3 is I think Archie, in a lot of ways, checked the first 2 boxes. His personality was soooo bad though that it soured everything to the point where it actually interfered with his ability to succeed with the first 2 things at IU.

Notice I didn't put anything about recruiting, or being an "IU guy". I don't even think its necessary for the next coach to have been a major D1 coach before.

In fact, I'd take a legit look at Tonegal at Indiana Wesleyan. Built the program from the ground up. Has maintained success. Wins every year. Excellent in game coach. With all the resources and advantages IU provides, literally all we need is someone that has a "program" that works, and that can coach the game. It won't matter where he comes from, or if he's recruited high major kids before.

Reactions: Carib04
Archie was a good in-game coach? That's not my recollection.
Elite 8 before he came to IU... He wasn't a terrible in game coach, no.

I don't think he ever got his IU players to buy into his style and program. And his wet blanket personality permeated everything. Even the team, and how they played for him.

The next hire we make...3 criteria is all they need to use to define who they're looking for.

1. Are they a good program builder?
2. Are they a good in game coach?
3. Does their personality match todays climate?

The ONLY reason I added number 3 is I think Archie, in a lot of ways, checked the first 2 boxes. His personality was soooo bad though that it soured everything to the point where it actually interfered with his ability to succeed with the first 2 things at IU.

Notice I didn't put anything about recruiting, or being an "IU guy". I don't even think its necessary for the next coach to have been a major D1 coach before.

In fact, I'd take a legit look at Tonegal at Indiana Wesleyan. Built the program from the ground up. Has maintained success. Wins every year. Excellent in game coach. With all the resources and advantages IU provides, literally all we need is someone that has a "program" that works, and that can coach the game. It won't matter where he comes from, or if he's recruited high major kids before.
I think that NIL at IU is a big factor.

You mention the “resources and advantages” that IU provides, and I would suggest that those things can also by massive disadvantages. I’m not talking about the fans, the spotlight, or pressure to win. I’m talking about money, boosters, and conflicts of interest.

Not every program is the same. A coach at IU needs be able to deal with all the NIL stuff. And I’m not talking about being able to make sure we have high recruits and make IU attractive to players wanting to play the game. Im talking about all of the baggage that comes from having a program that is all about individuals getting paid.

No dumb ass .... It's more about the best player being banged up while missing two key starters and the younger players not adjusting well.

"Fife" .. what a stupid f*cking narrative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT