ADVERTISEMENT

It’s the guards.

Al continually reminds me of VJ3, particularly when he drives to the rim somewhat out of control, crashing to the floor and looking back to see what happened to the ball.

Good call.....both good guys who were very mediocre basketball players who improved very marginally over time.

Neither did any one thing really well. Conversely, neither horrible in any area. Both are guys who played a lot because there was nobody better around.

VJ III was taller and a little better handling the ball & rebounding. Al is a little more athletic.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Several things I've noticed about Al:

--Does he ever hit a big shot? So many times in the last two years he's had wide open 3s to either salt a game away or get us back in the game. It sure seems to me he almost never hits those kind of shots......with the exception of FTs. Until the Nebraska game, he's generally hit his FTs when it counted.

--In his 1st year especially, and sometimes last year, it looks like the ball has sometimes just come off his shooting hand incorrectly.....left or right. It looks like it just slides off instead of coming off cleanly......as soon as he shoots it, you can tell its mis-directed. I hadn't noticed that much this year until Nebraska. One of his late 3 attempts and both FTs were immediately off coming off his hand.

--He took another horrific off-balance 8 footer in the lane late in the NEB game. He takes as many hopeless shots as DG....in fact more hopeless because DG can pull some of those out his ass and Al can't.

I don't mean to pile on, but seems he could really benefit from some yoga classes or something to help his balance. He really seems to struggle keeping his balance and loses his man on fakes or change of direction and falls down more than any player I remember. I remember a few weeks ago someone said Cody flopped and fell down a lot. I never recall that, but that to me is a real issue with Al. I think his lower body and ankles just aren't real strong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT