ADVERTISEMENT

Is Woody gonna struggle to get ANY guards, yet again?

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Here's the thought process causing that question.

Malik and Mack are starting, no matter what.

I don't have any idea how Woody rolls when it comes to promising starting roles or playing time...but it isn't a reach to think that most would assume Tucker is coming in as a starter too.

Trey Galloway is still on the roster.

Can he convince any of the main guards visiting, with them knowing who else we're talking to, that they'll start?

Carlisle
Rice
Perkins
Hickman
Conwell

What do you tell Conwell today, when Carlisle is coming this weekend? And then Vice Versa?

I know that's recruiting 101...but something has caused Woody to whiff on guards last year, and so far this year...

For what its worth...I wanted to start a post asking how good we'd be with the following lineup and bench:

Perkins
Carlisle
Conwell
Mgbako
Reneau

Williams
Tucker
Galloway
Newton
Cupps
Leal

But then reality hit me...Tucker is a solid 5 star kid...he's gonna expect to start. Will Galloway accept a lesser role? And then who's "first" to commit of those guards, and who would also commit after the first one did?

I think we end up largely striking out on impact guards. Maybe we get Perkins, which would be great. But I bet it looks more like...

Perkins
Galloway
Tucker
Mgbako
Reneau

Non elite backup big
Non elite/starter level guard
Cupps
Newton
Leal

Probably an NCAA team, but with a strong "bubble" feel to it.

The goal is to get a top shelf point guard, top shelf center, and high potential depth guys. Anything less is not ideal. I could be wrong, but I predict Tucker will come off the bench for 25 minutes. If he pops then Galloway will come off the bench.

I don't have any idea how Woody rolls when it comes to promising starting roles or playing time...but it isn't a reach to think that most would assume Tucker is coming in as a starter too.

Can he convince any of the main guards visiting, with them knowing who else we're talking to, that they'll start?

Carlisle
Rice
Perkins
Hickman
Conwell

What do you tell Conwell today, when Carlisle is coming this weekend? And then Vice Versa?

I know that's recruiting 101...but something has caused Woody to whiff on guards last year, and so far this year...

For what its worth...I wanted to start a post asking how good we'd be with the following lineup and bench:

Perkins
Carlisle
Conwell
Mgbako
Reneau

Williams
Tucker
Galloway
Newton
Cupps
Leal

But then reality hit me...Tucker is a solid 5 star kid...he's gonna expect to start. Will Galloway accept a lesser role? And then who's "first" to commit of those guards, and who would also commit after the first one did?

I think we end up largely striking out on impact guards. Maybe we get Perkins, which would be great. But I bet it looks more like...

Perkins
Galloway
Tucker
Mgbako
Reneau

Non elite backup big
Cupps
Newton
Leal

This lineup still doesn’t have any shooting

The goal is to get a top shelf point guard, top shelf center, and high potential depth guys. Anything less is not ideal. I could be wrong, but I predict Tucker will come off the bench for 25 minutes. If he pops then Galloway will come off the bench.
Just worried that Woody isn't very good at communicating these sorts of things. Lots of cancelled visits in the last couple years, things cooling way off after visits, a decommitment...

I think because we're in on so many decent guards, its an assumption we'll get at least one. Hope we do. But we didn't last year.

I guess the opening/openings are more obvious this year.

Just rambling and thinking over potential outcomes.

Not a big improvement, no.

Would likely be better defensively, and probably better overall offensively than this year's team was though.

But definitely would lack shooting depth. Mack and maybe Perkins being the guys most capable.

Just worried that Woody isn't very good at communicating these sorts of things. Lots of cancelled visits in the last couple years, things cooling way off after visits, a decommitment...

I think because we're in on so many decent guards, its an assumption we'll get at least one. Hope we do. But we didn't last year.

I guess the opening/openings are more obvious this year.

Just rambling and thinking over potential outcomes.
Woodson doesn’t seem to be in a hurry about anything including recruiting. It puts a lot of pressure on him to perform in the next few weeks. That said, he’s had some success getting guys late. The transfer portal and coaching changes make things totally different than five years ago.

They have to prioritize shooting over position players. They'd be absolute idiots to go get a non shooting pg and a non shooting big guy and then end up worse than last year.

How do you convince someone to come to Indiana? You say: "we will win if we have shooters. Good shooters are going to play. Good defenders are going to play". It's the truth. Should be easy.

They have to prioritize shooting over position players. They'd be absolute idiots to go get a non shooting pg and a non shooting big guy and then end up worse than last year.

How do you convince someone to come to Indiana? You say: "we will win if we have shooters. Good shooters are going to play. Good defenders are going to play". It's the truth. Should be easy.
Mgbako is our shooter. He will take the majority of our jump shots next season.

Reactions: bawlmer

Carlisle
Rice
Perkins
Hickman
Conwell

Perkins
Carlisle
Conwell
Mgbako
Reneau

Williams
Tucker
Galloway
Newton
Cupps
Leal

Perkins
Galloway
Tucker
Mgbako
Reneau

Non elite backup big
Cupps
Newton
Leal

Fino didn’t start until he had to. But he still got good experience before starting. I suspect a promise is being made that IF they show they are good enough to be the starter, they will be made the starter. That will work for most freshmen coming in. As for transfers, that all depends. I’m sure there is more of an expectation to start, or at least get so many minutes to prove themselves.

I wouldn’t worry about Tucker. He probably won’t be ready, at least early on, as most freshmen aren’t.

Carlisle
Rice
Perkins
Hickman
Conwell

Perkins
Carlisle
Conwell
Mgbako
Reneau

Williams
Tucker
Galloway
Newton
Cupps
Leal

Perkins
Galloway
Tucker
Mgbako
Reneau

Non elite backup big
Cupps
Newton
Leal

He just needs to tell them they will start if they earn it. That's what Hurley would do.

Plus, insert, top 5 NIL offer.

Carlisle
Rice
Perkins
Hickman
Conwell

Perkins
Carlisle
Conwell
Mgbako
Reneau

Williams
Tucker
Galloway
Newton
Cupps
Leal

Perkins
Galloway
Tucker
Mgbako
Reneau

Non elite backup big
Cupps
Newton
Leal

It's April .... this shit will last until July. Way too early for this ..

Reactions: bwcoach
Mgbako is our shooter. He will take the majority of our jump shots next season.
He should show improvement as a sophomore. If there is an outside threat on the other side he may increase his scoring and %. But this season, I personally thought after the first few games he wasn't ready defensively and could have come off the bench.

We need a point guard that can facilitate, drive, shoot, and defend. We need a center that can protect the rim and pick and roll. I wouldn’t consider either of those players a shooter.

We need a point guard that can facilitate, drive, shoot, and defend. We need a center that can protect the rim and pick and roll. I wouldn’t consider either of those players a shooter.
You need guys that can spread the floor and knock down shots like I listed.

You have it all figured out, and you don’t believe in our current players or coaches. Just curious, why hang around the fan board?
What are you talking about? Woody isn’t good at all. That has been established
We were discussing the roster…we need shooting. We were a very bad shooting team this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT