ADVERTISEMENT

Is this treason?

Well, if the US attacked China, I assume war would be declared first and it would go through Congress. Or would you rather pull a cowardly move like Japan in 1941 and “Pearl Harbor” them?

The US isn’t going to war with China either way.

Reactions: Bill4411
I didn’t realize he actually called them BEFORE the election.

IF this is true, he should resign at the least. That’s a really dangerous precedent to set, regardless of how mean Trump was or how pure Milley thought his intentions were.

The military doesn’t get to go around the President.

IF this is true, he should resign at the least. That’s a really dangerous precedent to set, regardless of how mean Trump was or how pure Milley thought his intentions were.

Crazy Nancy was in on it too.

Treasonous Chickensh-t...

He needs to leave yesterday...

I'm pretty sure the Allies lied to Hitler that the invasion would take place near Calais, not Normandy, and that Patton would be involved in the invasion. Obviously, not treason.

No proof yet that Milley betrayed an actual secret about our real intentions toward China.
Good to know that you all are fine with the military planning to override the President if things don't go the way they think they should. A President doesn't do an end around his advisors, they are advisors, not deciders.

Good to know that you all are fine with the military planning to override the President if things don't go the way they think they should. A President doesn't do an end around his advisors, they are advisors, not deciders.
I never said that.

If he orders a military strike for no good reason, it's not like they'd have time to impeach him.
A way exists to override "crazy" orders outside of impeachment:

Section 4.​

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

A way exists to override "crazy" orders outside of impeachment:

Section 4.​

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

Sorry, not good enough. By the time the VP and Cabinet officers get together the missiles are already flying. A pretextural strike against Iran (for example) needs to be stopped in its tracks. If that means defying the Commander in Chief, so be it, and let the chips fall where they may. I'm still comforted that someone was willing to prepare for that eventuality and was willing to do what was necessary to thwart such an action.

Sorry, not good enough. By the time the VP and Cabinet officers get together the missiles are already flying. A pretextural strike against Iran (for example) needs to be stopped in its tracks. If that means defying the Commander in Chief, so be it, and let the chips fall where they may. I'm still comforted that someone was willing to prepare for that eventuality and was willing to do what was necessary to thwart such an action.
So put you down for military coup.

Even if Milley was operating in a reasonable good faith belief, you don’t call the Chicoms and say the President of the United States is crazy. There are many ways to deal with the problem in house. There is no way Milley looks good here.

SAVE AMERICA
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP
SEPTEMBER 14, 2021
BEDMINSTER, NJ

Statement by Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America

If the story of “Dumbass” General Mark Milley, the same failed leader who engineered the worst withdrawal from a country, Afghanistan, in U.S. history, leaving behind many dead and wounded soldiers, many American citizens, and $85 Billion worth of the newest and most sophisticated Military equipment in the world, and our Country’s reputation, is true, then I assume he would be tried for TREASON in that he would have been dealing with his Chinese counterpart behind the President’s back and telling China that he would be giving them notification “of an attack.” Can’t do that!

The good news is that the story is Fake News concocted by a weak and ineffective General together with two authors who I refused to give an interview to because they write fiction, not fact. Actions should be taken immediately against Milley, and better generals in our Military, of which we have many, should get involved so that another Afghanistan disaster never happens again. Remember, I was the one who took out 100% of the ISIS Caliphate. Milley said it couldn’t be done!

For the record, I never even thought of attacking China—and China knows that. The people that fabricated the story are sick and demented, and the people who print it are just as bad. In fact, I’m the only President in decades who didn’t get the U.S. into a war—a well known fact that is seldom reported.

###

We really don't know what happened just what is being reported by Bob Woodward who likely is going to make it sound as sensational as possible in order to sell books.

We really don't know what happened just what is being reported by Bob Woodward who likely is going to make it sound as sensational as possible in order to sell books.
He got it right with Nixon. Why do you think he’s not got the facts now?

Yes, a phone call from Milley is a much better option when the missiles are already in the air.

A close reading of the excerpts says he was trying to reassure an already alarmed Chinese counterpart that they wouldn't be attacked without warning. There's also an implication that Milley would have thwarted any such order. I'm grateful he was there and knew what his higher duty was.

Reactions: Bill4411
But that’s not what he pledged to do in the excerpt.

He didn’t say he’d stop the attack, he said he’d give them advance warning.

That makes him look even worse.

You’re letting your hatred for Trump blind you, Mark.
No, my concerns about what Trump was capable of were confirmed by Milley and I'm thankful he was ready to stop Trump's worst impulses if necessary.

He got it right with Nixon. Why do you think he’s not got the facts now?
Maybe the book is extremely sensational or maybe we have already gotten the biggest nuggets from it as it has been interpreted by another reporter. I think we will need to read the book to make a proper assessment of what Milley did or did not do. I trust that Milley is a good man who has served his country loyally for the majority of his life so I am not going to make a snap judgment that he is somehow a traitor based upon an abbreviated synopsis of Woodward's book.

SAVE AMERICA
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP
SEPTEMBER 14, 2021
BEDMINSTER, NJ

Statement by Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America

If the story of “Dumbass” General Mark Milley, the same failed leader who engineered the worst withdrawal from a country, Afghanistan, in U.S. history, leaving behind many dead and wounded soldiers, many American citizens, and $85 Billion worth of the newest and most sophisticated Military equipment in the world, and our Country’s reputation, is true, then I assume he would be tried for TREASON in that he would have been dealing with his Chinese counterpart behind the President’s back and telling China that he would be giving them notification “of an attack.” Can’t do that!

The good news is that the story is Fake News concocted by a weak and ineffective General together with two authors who I refused to give an interview to because they write fiction, not fact. Actions should be taken immediately against Milley, and better generals in our Military, of which we have many, should get involved so that another Afghanistan disaster never happens again. Remember, I was the one who took out 100% of the ISIS Caliphate. Milley said it couldn’t be done!

For the record, I never even thought of attacking China—and China knows that. The people that fabricated the story are sick and demented, and the people who print it are just as bad. In fact, I’m the only President in decades who didn’t get the U.S. into a war—a well known fact that is seldom reported.

###
Also GOPer's on here:

"Why do you libs keep talking about Trump? He's gone. You all keep talking about him because of your TDS."

Both views can be right, one shouldn't call and say the president is crazy and undoubtedly the Chinese knew it.
There is a lot of deception in warfare about a combatant's true intentions ( examples include Pearl Harbor, Midway, D-Day and North Africa) and a lot of saber rattling in the nuclear age to discourage an attack.

Telling China they would receive a warning reminds me of Kennedy giving the Russians a warning during the Cuban missile crisis. And MacArthur told Japan about his plans, too.

quote-i-came-out-of-bataan-and-i-shall-return-douglas-macarthur-248676.jpg

No one will ever know whether Milley would have undermined a planned attack on China by providing actual details to the enemy. Saying he would warn China about an attack sounds like a military head fake.

I'll leave discussion of the chain of command issues to others.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
There is a lot of deception in warfare about a combatant's true intentions ( examples include Pearl Harbor, Midway, D-Day and North Africa) and a lot of saber rattling in the nuclear age to discourage an attack.

Telling China they would receive a warning reminds me of Kennedy giving the Russians a warning during the Cuban missile crisis. And MacArthur told Japan about his plans, too.

quote-i-came-out-of-bataan-and-i-shall-return-douglas-macarthur-248676.jpg

No one will ever know whether Milley would have undermined a planned attack on China by providing actual details to the enemy. Saying he would warn China about an attack sounds like a military head fake.

I'll leave discussion of the chain of command issues to others.
Saying he would warn them is almost certainly a breach of protocol unless part of a ruse or signed off on. But it is almost certainly not treason.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Saying he would warn them is almost certainly a breach of protocol unless part of a ruse or signed off on. But it is almost certainly not treason.
Can you imagine a Chinese officer telling a radar operator, "Don't worry about those Yankee missiles flying toward us -- they aren't real; Gen. Milley promised he would tip us off if the US were really going to attack us," ?

Yeah, right. The Chinese probably didn't change a damned thing because of Milley.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT