ADVERTISEMENT

Is there some reason the mods can't block an IP address?

Every day the Board gets trashed with the same shyte from the same troll under a different name.
Quick answer is they CAN. But they don't.

I've wondered for some time if the troll isn't a bored mod. Because if they can ban certain IP addresses (and, again,the can) there's no reason why we keep getting new iterations of the same troll . . .

In ye olden days of the Internet, people would complain to the Internet Service Provider of the troll if they had acted inappropriately repeatedly after getting banned. That stopped some people.

IP banning does little to nothing.

ISP don't give static IP's to their customers anymore. You have to call in and have them assign you one. And very few people do that.

Every time you bounce your router, you'll get a new IP.

ISP don't give static IP's to their customers anymore. You have to call in and have them assign you one. And very few people do that.

Was wondering if this was even viable, but good if true that the ISP can be contacted. At least Itz threads were taken down. Again.

Last edited:
Was wondering if this was even viable, but good if true that the ISP can be contacted. At least Itz threads were taken down. Again.
Best way to combat trolls is to simply ignore them and report them. The currency they thrive on is attention. Ignore them and they'll eventually get bored and have to compensate for their social ineffectuality elsewhere.

Best way to combat trolls is to simply ignore them and report them. The currency they thrive on is attention. Ignore them and they'll eventually get bored and have to compensate for their social ineffectuality elsewhere.

Of course, but ever notice how even the vilest guys and gals always find someone with whom to dance?

Yea, its why I generally have the chronic trolls identified and on ignore by the first three posts.

Yeah but then it just sits there. The trash. And just because one can't see it...

Always been sort of a 'public interest' type.

Also, all you have to do is to use a VPN and you'll get a new IP every time you log on to the 'net'. Some services offer double servers, or even 'onion over VPN' servers. Blocking IPs would do nothing.

Reactions: Imsowyctcwuzbetta
Also, all you have to do is to use a VPN and you'll get a new IP every time you log on to the 'net'. Some services offer double servers, or even 'onion over VPN' servers. Blocking IPs would do nothing.

Got it. A mere fantasy then, but I stand by the sentiment.

Reactions: mathboy

Yep.

what's "bounce your router"?

Not necessarily. My Comcast IP rarely changes, no matter how many times I reboot it or have a power outage.
Of course. But that would require some technical chops. Not sure our resident nym shifter would qualify.

Well, did you figure it out? As I know, banning the IP address is nothing serious. If you have an idea about the network and an IP address, you don't even care if you got banned. You'll be able to visit the same site using different accounts, and no one will be able to do anything to you. First of all, the guy might be using a good VPN connection. But, if your system is excellent, it should detect his VPN, and it shouldn't allow him to enter the site. Most probably, he is using the best mobile Proxies .I'm doing the same thing while being at work. So, no one detects what site and when I accesed it.

Last edited:
I doubt they'd give somebody the permissions, and that IP could easily be change by logging into a phone, computer, their mom's computer, or simply changing it at will.

Good plan. Can we make a running list of trolls? Some of you spot the same guy under a different name very quickly

If the website wanted to pursue a trespass action, they could. If the website doesn't want somebody on their site, they have the right to boot them. I am sure there are ways of identifying posters. Is it worth it to the website to police and pursue trespass for a free board? Probably not. A person can get infinite user names for free, which is the problem.

The best way to avoid trolls is to pay the $9 a month or whatever it is and avoid the free boards. Trolls have to pay $9 a month for every user name, and no troll has $9 a month for multiple user names. You have to pay the monthly fee with a credit card, which provides identifying info if somebody gets out of line. You get what you pay for.

Every day the Board gets trashed with the same shyte from the same troll under a different name.
That’s not an effective way to block somebody. Most IPs are dynamically assigned and it is easy to force a change of IP address. Next time that IP is used by another potential customer, you are blocking them.

Why do you start a thousand threads a day? Seems like you are the one trashing the board
Why would anyone feel restricted to post only on, for example, an existing thread of 100, 200, 400 or 500 posts, many of which are only slightly related to what he wants to comment about and largely are just insults and trolling and 🤣 icons? Adding another post to a thread like that doesn't simplify anything.

Posting in an overly long thread like that is just burying your own comment in the trash.

And, this site's format does not reliably open a thread on the last post I've read -- -- it sometimes opens on the original post so I've got to scroll through all the old posts again.

There are few if any rules on this board.

And, this site's format does not reliably open a thread on the last post I've read -- -- it sometimes opens on the original post so I've got to scroll through all the old posts again.

Use the Jump to New button when that happens.

If the website wanted to pursue a trespass action, they could. If the website doesn't want somebody on their site, they have the right to boot them. I am sure there are ways of identifying posters. Is it worth it to the website to police and pursue trespass for a free board? Probably not. A person can get infinite user names for free, which is the problem.

The best way to avoid trolls is to pay the $9 a month or whatever it is and avoid the free boards. Trolls have to pay $9 a month for every user name, and no troll has $9 a month for multiple user names. You have to pay the monthly fee with a credit card, which provides identifying info if somebody gets out of line. You get what you pay for.
👋👋👋😁

This is correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT